TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HURST SHIFTER IN THE SHELBY GT

i like how when i'm just drivin around town it has such a short throw that all i have to do is flick my wrist to shift gears. it just makes it that much easier to handle city traffic. i dont have to move my whole damn arm to shift.

Is the hurst shifter working well for all that drag race their SGT on the 1/4 mile? Any missed gears? I have yet to take my SGT to the drags, so I don't know. I know I was pleased with the Pro 5.0 shifter in my 2005 Mustang GT. The Pro 5.0 may have had a longer thow, but handled powershifting very well without missing any gears! From what I've read about the hurst, I may have a problem catching 3rd gear. I hope not! -Steve

As I posted in the Shifter thread .... If I try any type of quick shift from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th it hangs up. I've had a couple of missed shifts already and when I let my Bro-in-law drive it happened to him too! I love the car and the looks/feel of the shifter I've been driving a stick all my life (I'm 54 now) and I'm not going to stop anytime soon, but I want to have this looked at. :shift:

As I posted in the Shifter thread .... If I try any type of quick shift from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th it hangs up. I've had a couple of missed shifts already....

I'm actually considering replacing mine because of missed 2nd to 3rd shifts. I've had that issue since day one of having the car. At first I though it was me but one would think after two years I would have it figured out by now. I'm now leaning towards the fact there might be an issue with the shifter.

• 3 months later...

Can someone please confirm, a picture would be great.

Does the FRPP, part # M-7213-K, "KR" chrome shifter shaft say "HURST" on it?

H

U

R

S

T

I am thinking about getting the Shelby short throw shifter and change out the shaft with the chrome "HURST" logo shaft.

IMO, I really do not like the look of the SHELBY billet shaft, plus it looks shorter in height.

I have seen the "HURST" logo chrome shifter shaft on a Shelby GT and a 07 or 08 Shelby Terlingua.

Is there a different part # for the "HURST" logo chrome shifter shaft? Where can I get one? Will it fit the GT500 6 speed?

Thanks for your help and replies.

I hate to rain on the parade, but what about all the rattling problems? I am going to have mine replaced with only 1500 mi on it. My hurst shifters in my 60's and 70's cars never sounded like this!

I'm actually considering replacing mine because of missed 2nd to 3rd shifts. I've had that issue since day one of having the car. At first I though it was me but one would think after two years I would have it figured out by now. I'm now leaning towards the fact there might be an issue with the shifter.

Update. After doing the synchro TSB the Hurst is the cat's meow now!

I have been Drag Racing since the late 60's and have had a lot of Hot Rods and Hot Street cars. My SGT is my every day driver and I think the Hust shifter in this car is a perfect match with the car.

Archived