TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HURST SHIFTER IN THE SHELBY GT

I have the original style Hurst and love the performance. I am not a drag racer, so no knowledge there. It does perform really well on the road course.

I have tried the new Hurst billet alum version. I put the old one back on, it shifts better IMO. ( I will sell the billet one cheap!)

I have driven a car with the Pro 5.0 and it is not as positive and has a longer throw. Doesn't look nearly as cool. In fact, I ended up installing a Hurst stick and cue ball on the Pro 5.0. Looked better, but still shifted the same

I had a steeda shifter in my 03 Mach, it was nice, but I like the Hurst shifter that came with the sgt alot better. I dont know if its a placement issue due to the diff platform or not, but the SGT feels so much better.

Chris

I don't think I could want any other shifter in the car. It has a great feel. Someone likened it to a rifle-bolt action.

+1

Takes some getting used to but it makes up a good portion of the enjoyable driving experience of the SGT.

Ken

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE FEED BACK ON THE SHIFTER. NOW YOU ALL GOT ME PUMP UP. THE BAD

THING IS THAT I AM STILL WAITING TO TAKE DELIVERY OF MY NEW GRABBER ORANGE SGT. I AM

HOPING IN WILL BE DELIVERED TO MY HOUSE BY THURSDAY OR FRIDAY THIS WEEK. :happy feet:

AND THEN I WILL BE DOING THIS. :drool:

:shift::shift::shift::shift:

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE FEED BACK ON THE SHIFTER. NOW YOU ALL GOT ME PUMP UP. THE BAD

THING IS THAT I AM STILL WAITING TO TAKE DELIVERY OF MY NEW GRABBER ORANGE SGT. I AM

HOPING IN WILL BE DELIVERED TO MY HOUSE BY THURSDAY OR FRIDAY THIS WEEK. :happy feet:

After you drive the Shelby Mustang, let us know how the Hurst shifter compares to the shifter in your SGT 500.

I never owned a car with a clutch until I bought the Shelby GT. I drove a Semi for Coca-Cola when I was 18 that is how I learned to drive a clutch; that and my dads corvette is all I can compare the hurst to and I all I can say is I have NO problem shifting the Hurst short throw and burning rubber in all the gears. (well maybe 5th a get a tiny chirp)

My dad was giving me crap when I bought the car saying I cant drive a clutch because we were in florida a few years ago in his old 02 Vette and a mustang pulled up next to us and he said floor it so I downshifted to 4th and of course the vette was a dog I should have shifted it into 2nd so now the mustang blew us away and my dad has never allowed me to forget about the day I embarrassed the crap out of him. Now that I have the Shelby GT and it is scheduled to get supercharged (come on BUD email me) I will beat my dads newer 07 Vette all day long then I will never have to hear about how I couldn't shift his car in Florida and now all he's going to hear about is what a slow dog his vette is.

So to answer your question I love it.

Notchy, solid and firm. You know you're in gear with the Hurst. If you are not used to a stiff shifter though you might take some time to get used to it.

It took me some time to get used to it. I think it's perfect now. I like the positive feel when you're solid in gear. Also, the cue ball sits exactly right in my palm as I drive.

(Brutal Hillary clip, Stump!) :hysterical:

After driving my SGT with the Hurst shifter - it is firm/stiff/notchy . . . . . I call it 'precise' . . . . I've noticed that when I get into ANY other 5spd car, the shifter feels like it's not connected to anything and is just flopping around thru the shift gates like an Atari joystick.

Some of the Magazine article review writers didn't much care for the shifter and its 'stiff/notchy' feel. . . . I'd have it no other way and quite frankly feel that it's part of the 'signature feel' of the Shelby GT.

Trevor

Love it so much, I put one in my Bullitt.

+1 :shift:

I've even installed one in my wife's 2006 V-6 Mustang... And along with a CAI, Dual Exhaust and a Brenspeed Tune, she can now "chirp" the tires any time she wants to...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

I have a GT500 and SGT as well. I like the shifter better in the SGT. I sometimes have to flip a coin to decide which to drive. Believe it or not, I get more nods and compliments in the SGT.

I have a GT500 and SGT as well. I like the shifter better in the SGT. I sometimes have to flip a coin to decide which to drive. Believe it or not, I get more nods and compliments in the SGT.

NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. :happy feet:

NOT !!! :hysterical:

• 1 month later...

You shouldnt be supprised about that one! Also you need to get used to it people are nuts over this SGT as well as i am! Shifter is awesome and when people look inside the first thing they say is "hey that shifter is killer"!! Cant leave anyone alone with the car though u just never know what the hell they will do when ur not looking! Probably start making engine noise sounds shift the gear and say eeeeeerrrrrrr!!!!!! :shift:

Is the hurst shifter working well for all that drag race their SGT on the 1/4 mile? Any missed gears? I have yet to take my SGT to the drags, so I don't know. I know I was pleased with the Pro 5.0 shifter in my 2005 Mustang GT. The Pro 5.0 may have had a longer thow, but handled powershifting very well without missing any gears! From what I've read about the hurst, I may have a problem catching 3rd gear. I hope not! -Steve

Is the hurst shifter working well for all that drag race their SGT on the 1/4 mile? Any missed gears? I have yet to take my SGT to the drags, so I don't know. I know I was pleased with the Pro 5.0 shifter in my 2005 Mustang GT. The Pro 5.0 may have had a longer thow, but handled powershifting very well without missing any gears! From what I've read about the hurst, I may have a problem catching 3rd gear. I hope not! -Steve

I had one installed in my Saleen before I sold it. I never did take it out to the drag, but I did several hot laps at Cresson, TX. It performed very well under speed shifting. I had more problems from First to Second and Third to Second, but that could have been the clutch at the time.

• 1 month later...

Not gonna lie, I've missed 3rd 3 times in as many days ;) My father, who is much better at powershifting than I am (40+ years experience will do that lol) missed 2nd on the first run.

With that said, I LOVE the Hurst shifter! ;) Takes some getting used to, but once you realize it was made for hammering it into gear, you'll be fine. Just don't try to be as nice as I was with it cuz being nice there was no way to get my hand to move faster than my left foot.

DSC00337.JPG I had put a Steeda tri-ax into my '07 and I liked the positive stops so you couldn't bend the shift forks power-shifting. It was a smoother shift than the Hurst and built a little stouter. Now that I've been driving with the Hurst I'm enjoying it more. I did swap the stick and handle with a Steeda arm and Hurst t-handle which I like better. Of course I kept the stock ones. The new Shelby shifter looks good also.

DSC00337.JPG

Archived