TEAM SHELBY FORUM

mustang cobra for lunch

frazierfreud

i've only had my 09' ebony w/ white stripes since mid dec 08'. it is such a nice feeling when your new ride leaves somebody else in the dust. sunday i came across a svt cobra...03' i think? we started at about 40mph. we were even for a couple seconds or so, then i saw him shift (he must have started in 2nd gear...i started in 3rd gear). once he shifted i was already starting to pull ahead, then i just started to put distance between us at a very fast rate. i've only had a couple other encounters...svt lightning...very loud mustang gt. easily handled all. nonetheless, it is always a very satisfying feeling...giddy actually. my goal is to be able to beat standard vettes. i realize z06 would be completely out of the question at my current level of mods (501rwhp)...but maybe down the road.

Cool....I had a Dodge Magnum try me out the other day. I pulled out in traffic and kept to the right lane, he was zooming by in the left....stood on the brakes just long enough for me to get even with him then he hammered it. I was still in 2nd or just changed to 3rd and was cruising, so I didn't even bother to downshift, just kicked it and blew by him so fast it wasn't even funny. So much soot and rust coming out of his exhaust pipes I had to turn my wipers on! That's my goal in life, never have soot in my pipes.

Good story, enjoy your ride!

I was the one seeing the tale lights on a Terminator last time :-( But, considering that I was stock and he was running a pulley, exhaust, CAI, and tune... it's no wonder. Enjoy those mods :-) One of the other guys here dusted a Viper on the 1/4 mile! So, those Z06's aren't too far off. Welcome to the forum!

Gabe

i've only had my 09' ebony w/ white stripes since mid dec 08'. it is such a nice feeling when your new ride leaves somebody else in the dust. sunday i came across a svt cobra...03' i think? we started at about 40mph. we were even for a couple seconds or so, then i saw him shift (he must have started in 2nd gear...i started in 3rd gear). once he shifted i was already starting to pull ahead, then i just started to put distance between us at a very fast rate. i've only had a couple other encounters...svt lightning...very loud mustang gt. easily handled all. nonetheless, it is always a very satisfying feeling...giddy actually. my goal is to be able to beat standard vettes. i realize z06 would be completely out of the question at my current level of mods (501rwhp)...but maybe down the road.

I wouldn't make a habit of looking to race an 03/04 Cobra. Many have been modified beyond crazy.

Don't let a Terminator Cobra fool you or you may be the one that's gets fooled. These cars are really fast and having 600 plus rwhp is not a big deal for them. I own both so I can tell you from experience they are quick, weigh less than a Shelby GT 500, and handle really well.

However, nice job on the kill! :shift: :happy feet:

Don't let a Terminator Cobra fool you or you may be the one that's gets fooled. These cars are really fast and having 600 plus rwhp is not a big deal for them. I own both so I can tell you from experience they are quick, weigh less than a Shelby GT 500, and handle really well.

However, nice job on the kill! :shift: :happy feet:

what is a "terminator cobra"? how much less do they weigh than a gt500? one thing i've learned in the past couple months is that you can't be sure what anybody has under the hood. a buddy of mine has an 03' cobra. getting burned by an 03' cobra would be acceptable. getting burned by a modified rice burner would be upsetting.

In the last 2 weeks I have met up with a Z06, and AMG C63 and an older Viper. They just cannot resist getting thier a$$ handed to them in short order.

Yes, its very satisfying when they just KNOW they have the far superior car.

Dodges hemi's and GTOs are just not any fun and rice burners are like mosquitos, as soon as you swat one, there are 3 more. Whats the point?

what is a "terminator cobra"? how much less do they weigh than a gt500? one thing i've learned in the past couple months is that you can't be sure what anybody has under the hood. a buddy of mine has an 03' cobra. getting burned by an 03' cobra would be acceptable. getting burned by a modified rice burner would be upsetting.

Welcome to the forum! Nice color combo! :happy feet: Got pics?

'03-'04 Terminator Mustang Cobra

Weight about 3665 lbs, so about 250 less.

+1

I didn't realize there was an engine change in the last generation of SVT Cobra's. From what I read (link above) the terminator name comes from the change in engine configuration...... but out of the box they were 390/390 hp/torque?

I didn't realize there was an engine change in the last generation of SVT Cobra's. From what I read (link above) the terminator name comes from the change in engine configuration...... but out of the box they were 390/390 hp/torque?

Yes, but they respond to mods very well also. They where also under rated from the factory and many stock 03/04's dnyo'd higher than 390hp. I had a sonic blue 03 cobra and it would hand my 08 it ass on a platter before I modded my 08. I tryed to get the dealer to race my 03 against the 08 for a grand off but they wouldnt do it...lol Dont over look them on the street as others have said. They have come down so much in price I may pick up another one. Plus they handle like a over sized go cart with a few susp. mods.

Ya they said 390 HP but mine (03 10th Anniversary) with just a CAI and weld in flowmasters put 387 on the rear wheels. They came with 3:55 gears and from a roll were very fast!

Still with all that said, I'll take the 08 any day!

What all of these guys said about the "Terminator" Cobra. Just to give you a little background about the SVT Cobra and the Shelby GT 500.

The Cobra first:

They were tested in 2000/2001 at various locations by enthusiasts like you and me. Ford actually took out some "beta" models to major cities and put a group of enthusiasts together to get their input on the car. (If you haven't read Iron Fist, Lead Foot, then you should read a little more about the history about the car.) Anyway, one of our SVT Cobra Club members was selected to test the car and told me about it, even though it was supposed to be secret. The 2003 SVT Cobra which actually came out in 2002 was nicknamed "Terminator" on the assembly line because that is what John Coletti and the SVT team called it. It was designed to "terminate" the competition and that it did and still does. Basically, a few bolt ons and you are in the 500 rwhp range. Add a whipple and you are in the 600 rwhp so the car was deemed the "best bang for the buck". Every major magazine had one on the front cover for months! You can find hints of the name "Terminator" on the car itself as it is on the inside of the console area where the shifter area is located. You have to remove the plate but there you will see "Terminator" embossed in the plastic. It is also on the build tag which is usually found on the inside of the rear bumper cover.

About The Shelby GT 500:

The Shelby GT 500 was debuted in 2005 as a concept car but the reality of it was that it was ready for production that year. The car came out in 2006 as a 2007 model. It was supposed to be the 2006 SVT Cobra not a Shelby GT 500. Hence the SVT insignias on the car. When Carroll Shelby joined back up with Ford, the name was changed to "Shelby GT 500", probably because Ford thought they would sell more Shelbys than SVT Cobras. (BTW, the original concept car was called "Ford Shelby Cobra GT 500" but they dropped the Cobra name because the name of the car was too long.) Did you know that the Shelby GT 500 had a nick name too like the 03/04 Cobra? It sure did, it was called "Condor" and that is what it was referred to on the assembly line. Carroll gave his input on the car via driving the vehicle and offering technical expertise for handling and driveability. John Coletti's SVT Team developed, engineered, and designed the car but never got to label it an SVT Cobra.

So now you and I have the best of both worlds, an SVT Cobra designed and engineered by the SVT Team, and a car that has Carroll Shelby's name on it. I consider myself lucky to own a piece of history as this is the only car that has both people involved in the development of a high performance musclecar.

Sorry for the long post..... :shift:

What all of these guys said about the "Terminator" Cobra. Just to give you a little background about the SVT Cobra and the Shelby GT 500.

The Cobra first:

They were tested in 2000/2001 at various locations by enthusiasts like you and me. Ford actually took out some "beta" models to major cities and put a group of enthusiasts together to get their input on the car. (If you haven't read Iron Fist, Lead Foot, then you should read a little more about the history about the car.) Anyway, one of our SVT Cobra Club members was selected to test the car and told me about it, even though it was supposed to be secret. The 2003 SVT Cobra which actually came out in 2002 was nicknamed "Terminator" on the assembly line because that is what John Coletti and the SVT team called it. It was designed to "terminate" the competition and that it did and still does. Basically, a few bolt ons and you are in the 500 rwhp range. Add a whipple and you are in the 600 rwhp so the car was deemed the "best bang for the buck". Every major magazine had one on the front cover for months! You can find hints of the name "Terminator" on the car itself as it is on the inside of the console area where the shifter area is located. You have to remove the plate but there you will see "Terminator" embossed in the plastic. It is also on the build tag which is usually found on the inside of the rear bumper cover.

About The Shelby GT 500:

The Shelby GT 500 was debuted in 2005 as a concept car but the reality of it was that it was ready for production that year. The car came out in 2006 as a 2007 model. It was supposed to be the 2006 SVT Cobra not a Shelby GT 500. Hence the SVT insignias on the car. When Carroll Shelby joined back up with Ford, the name was changed to "Shelby GT 500", probably because Ford thought they would sell more Shelbys than SVT Cobras. (BTW, the original concept car was called "Ford Shelby Cobra GT 500" but they dropped the Cobra name because the name of the car was too long.) Did you know that the Shelby GT 500 had a nick name too like the 03/04 Cobra? It sure did, it was called "Condor" and that is what it was referred to on the assembly line. Carroll gave his input on the car via driving the vehicle and offering technical expertise for handling and driveability. John Coletti's SVT Team developed, engineered, and designed the car but never got to label it an SVT Cobra.

So now you and I have the best of both worlds, an SVT Cobra designed and engineered by the SVT Team, and a car that has Carroll Shelby's name on it. I consider myself lucky to own a piece of history as this is the only car that has both people involved in the development of a high performance musclecar.

Sorry for the long post..... :shift:

Actually Nice Post!! Thank's.

Archived