TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I have the stripes "painted" on or not?

I'm scheduled to have the hood scoop replaced soon and I'm pondering having the hood stripes (just the hood stripes) painted on and the hood clear coated, etc. I really don't want to spend the money now and I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible (as least being able to revert easily to stock). However, the idea of having to remove the scoop to fix the stripes (due to stains, rocks, etc) when the car is out of warranty is bothering me. If the stripes were painted, a little touch-up color and clear would be all that is needed. Of course, I could just wait and do it later when and if needed.

Any thoughts?

I'm scheduled to have the hood scoop replaced soon and I'm pondering having the hood stripes (just the hood stripes) painted on and the hood clear coated, etc. I really don't want to spend the money now and I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible (as least being able to revert easily to stock). However, the idea of having to remove the scoop to fix the stripes (due to stains, rocks, etc) when the car is out of warranty is bothering me. If the stripes were painted, a little touch-up color and clear would be all that is needed. Of course, I could just wait and do it later when and if needed.

Any thoughts?

I was offered this for free and said "no"! People WILL notice that ONLY the hood stripes are painted. You're going to have more issues with the lower front fascia stripes than the hood stripes when it comes to road damage.

I would wait until you can do the entire car. I've had my scoop replaced four times and the hood is no worse for the wear. Based upon the looks of my last scoop when it was removed there is little if any damage to the scoop when removed, I'm sure less if they know they need to put it back on.

I do want to say though you need to be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY clear to these people that the stripes are 1/2" from the hood's center line (1" apart") ALL..ALL...ALL the way down! Take a ruler and show them going down the hood and measuring. A little off 1/16th etc., is ok but not some huge gap 1/2 way down which WILL HAPPEN if they are not careful. Also tell them not to use the washer nozzles as any sort of guide. If one or the other stripes is a little more or less away from the nozzle than the other THAT'S FINE!

What's important is the stripes are centered and 1" apart or 1/2" away from the center line.

Good luck!

I was offered this for free and said "no"! People WILL notice that ONLY the hood stripes are painted. You're going to have more issues with the lower front fascia stripes than the hood stripes when it comes to road damage.

I would wait until you can do the entire car. I've had my scoop replaced four times and the hood is no worse for the wear. Based upon the looks of my last scoop when it was removed there is little if any damage to the scoop when removed, I'm sure less if they know they need to put it back on.

I do want to say though you need to be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY clear to these people that the stripes are 1/2" from the hood's center line (1" apart") ALL..ALL...ALL the way down! Take a ruler and show them going down the hood and measuring. A little off 1/16th etc., is ok but not some huge gap 1/2 way down which WILL HAPPEN if they are not careful. Also tell them not to use the washer nozzles as any sort of guide. If one or the other stripes is a little more or less away from the nozzle than the other THAT'S FINE!

What's important is the stripes are centered and 1" apart or 1/2" away from the center line.

Good luck!

Very good advice! I needed to hear another voice for not painting the stripes. My local body shop (who won't do this repair) also said to not paint the stripes for the same reason. As far as the decal stripes, the body shop that is doing this has done quite a few stripe replacements on these cars and they seem to have gotten it down pat (I've seen pics of their work and have testimonials).

Thanks

Good luck!

Jeff, you stated youv'e had your scoop replaced 4 times, whats up with that. I am ready to have a stroke over getting mine done one time with all the headaches and aggrevation this has been. I can't imagine going through this 4 times. I also see your in Chicago, who worked on your car? By the way to the original post I agree make sure the find center line and 1/2 inch on either side, period no negotiations. Avoid painting if you can, some people love it but I'm not sure 15-30 years from now what it will do for your cars value.

Jeff, you stated youv'e had your scoop replaced 4 times, whats up with that. I am ready to have a stroke over getting mine done one time with all the headaches and aggrevation this has been. I can't imagine going through this 4 times. I also see your in Chicago, who worked on your car? By the way to the original post I agree make sure the find center line and 1/2 inch on either side, period no negotiations. Avoid painting if you can, some people love it but I'm not sure 15-30 years from now what it will do for your cars value.

I went through EVERY revision to the scoop the last 14 months you can think of me as a guinea pig! ;-)

I had my scoop replaced at a small body shop in McHenry IL called Adams Auto Body. They have done 4 scoops and have the process down pretty pat! Two of my scoops was done at a different shop and one at a dealer both of which I will not name because in each case they messed up somehow. But Adams has done these and knows how to do it so for me the drive was worth the peace of mind.

If you are in the Chicago area I hope you'll be coming to our Shelby Show at Volo Car Museum in June!

Check the thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38939

I went through EVERY revision to the scoop the last 14 months you can think of me as a guinea pig! ;-)

I had my scoop replaced at a small body shop in McHenry IL called Adams Auto Body. They have done 4 scoops and have the process down pretty pat! Two of my scoops was done at a different shop and one at a dealer both of which I will not name because in each case they messed up somehow. But Adams has done these and knows how to do it so for me the drive was worth the peace of mind.

If you are in the Chicago area I hope you'll be coming to our Shelby Show at Volo Car Museum in June!

Check the thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38939

Printed a copy of the flyer, should be able to make it, can I bring my 03 Cobra vert also? Who knows at the rate their working on my SGT it still won't be ready by then.

I am going to buy a set of stripes' cause the dealer i purchased the car from still hasn't fixed the one they have on there lot cause they are having problems getting stripes. I'm going to keep them in the box and have mine painted on. If I ever sell the car( I don't plan on it) here is the factory stripes. My buddy has a 05 stang, he has silver stripes on it and they are allready faded. When he had them done the graphics guy told hime silver only last a few years, and he should have them paint them on.

I am going to buy a set of stripes' cause the dealer i purchased the car from still hasn't fixed the one they have on there lot cause they are having problems getting stripes. I'm going to keep them in the box and have mine painted on. If I ever sell the car( I don't plan on it) here is the factory stripes. My buddy has a 05 stang, he has silver stripes on it and they are allready faded. When he had them done the graphics guy told hime silver only last a few years, and he should have them paint them on.

The ones I got have a 5 year warranty but I'm sure over time they will fade. I too will one day get them painted on but it's not in the cards right now. I'd rather spend the $2K on some cool mods and leave the stripes for another day.

If you are trying to keep yor car stock as possible then why are you doing mods? :headscratch:

Huh? Where does stock enter into this? It's MY OPINION, and you can disagree, that painting the hood only is not a good idea when you can get the stripes free and paint the entire car later. I also don't always agree paint is the right way to go when for the cost of a good paint job I can re-stripe the car almost 5 times. That same amount of money can be put to other uses. Again just MY opinion and you may feel different!

Huh? Where does stock enter into this? It's MY OPINION, and you can disagree, that painting the hood only is not a good idea when you can get the stripes free and paint the entire car later. I also don't always agree paint is the right way to go when for the cost of a good paint job I can re-stripe the car almost 5 times. That same amount of money can be put to other uses. Again just MY opinion and you may feel different!

My only concern is the hood. Each time you drill out the rivets, the hole in the hood gets a little larger. At some point you will reach a condition where the new rivet won't grab or appear to grab and then pull out later down the road. How many times you can drill depends on the skill of the installer.

Archived