TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Very Interesting Ebay Activity

5.4 Shelby

We really need a reliable purchase price poll.

How do you set one up. I have seen the vote polls, but have no idea on how to start it. Do you. Go for it. I am game. Lets get some honest feedback with no ADM bashing.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My deal was secured in March. Originally you said Ebay represented the WHOLE market, now you're saying it represents the ADM market. It shows what SOME people are willing to pay. There are many dealers that are using local auctions to sell cars. I just spoke to the local dealer in my town. They are auctioning their remaining two cars among a small group of people that were on their "list". This may or may not be near the $10k on Ebay. They told me they don't want to go the Ebay route for several reasons. 1) They want to do business locally...they have an interest in the community 2) They have to pay fees to advertise on Ebay...selling locally allows them to charge less and make the same profit (yes, I realize they MIGHT be able to get MORE on Ebay) 3) They don't want their salespeople setting up Ebay accounts, typing Ebay ads, and monitoring the site for questions....they have never sold on Ebay before and don't want to invest the brainpower in getting it all set up and training someone to do it.

I'm sure there are many dealers (mostly the smaller ones) that are doing this...avoiding Ebay. Think about it...there are over 3,000 Ford dealers in the U.S. Not sure how many are selling the GT500, let's say two thirds....2,000. Have we seen 2,000 dealers advertise on Ebay?

I do agree that Ebay is the BEST indicator we have of pricing, but that's because it's the most objective data we have. Just because it's the best doesn't mean it's correct. My best indicator of the color of your hair is brown...only because that's the most common hair color. Does that mean it's correct? No. The other indicator we have is what the members on this forum are paying. Some tell, some don't...so that's not so reliable either.

Dave

So in other words, the e-bay market is a crappy indicator. There, I said it. :rant:

Rat,

Thank you for your input. Since you work at a dealership and are also in internet sales, I value you opinion highly. Too bad your dealership is sold out for 2007. If you had to Guess, What would be the percentage of sold out dealers ?

Rob

We still have at least one more convertible coming. We hope to get it before Christmas.

I don't know how many dealers are actually sold out - meaning all their allocation is actually contracted with a customer. I think for now actual "availability" is more a function of the willingness of a buyer to pay the ADM.

It will be interesting to see if Ford is actually able to meet the production goal of 9000 +/- units for MY2007.

Rat, as always, we value your input.

My point with the max bids is that the max bids were near 20 early on, then 15, then 12 and now 10. This represents what most of the ebay buyers are willing to pay. Most of the buyers are serious about the car and place a bid up to what they will pay. Some of the more savvy ones may call after the sale. I'd bet most of those know what the bidding went to and shoot below that.

We really need a reliable purchase price poll.

Thanks. Certainly, anyone bidding $55k+ for a car that stickers at $45k is a serious buyer. I think I got a little sidetracked on my soap box about idiots bidding low on other vehicles. Definitely the ADM's are coming down a bit, but I'm not seeing widespread MSRP anytime in the near future. It's really going to depend more on Ford's ability to keep up with production - this is the biggest factor and unknown variable in the equation.

I don't know how many dealers are actually sold out - meaning all their allocation is actually contracted with a customer.

It would be nice to have that figure.

I called 11 dealers yesterday. Of those, 7 cars were still alotted (one of the dealers had 2 more coming). I got the impression from one of them that he was trying to hard sell me by telling me all the rest of his were taken. He had a vert on the floor that was unsold, yet, the rest of his cars were sold. It just didn't add up. Autotrader has over 200 cars listed as available.

Definitely the ADM's are coming down a bit

That is all I am trying to say.

, but I'm not seeing widespread MSRP anytime in the near future.

The MSRP part is just a guess and wishful thinking on my part. I have no evidence or hard facts. When buyers quit paying ADM is when the ADMs go away. I am hoping that people seeing them fall will reassure them that they will fall and they stop paying it.

:beerchug:

I've 2000 miles on Shelby(white w/blue stripes of course) and the car is worth every bit of the $10 adm. costs I paid my local Cleveland dealer. If any serios party considering buying a Shelby could drive one they would easily pay a reasonable admin. throughout the entire 3 yr. estimated production run.

Plus the new ad in Germany will do nothing but raise prices :banana piano:

Read the new Motor Trend...this car is a bargin. Pay the extra cash if you can...there is nothing like it...especially after it is broken in.

I think part of the problem is there is no "one price" or even a tight range of prices that represent the "true" current price of a GT500. Prices will end up being a distribution...and those who want confirming evidence of high prices will point to the tail that represents high prices and the low price guys will point to the low price tail.

At the end of the day, I think eBay is the best indicator...far from crappy...because it represents distributed information and no barrier for purchasers. So...it reflects the behavior of generally informed buyers and anyone can be a buyer.

Nevertheless, the market is in flux and eBay prices don't necessarily represent what your local dealer will ask or receive. And, there's an interpretation issue (since prices are distributed)...so one has to do the best to interpret the meaning of more/less bids, more/less auctions, more/less sales at "buy it now," etc.

I'd love to see an accurate poll of prices paid, but it'll never happen. We'd have to poll the entire population of buyers or we'd have to select a random sample of buyers. Every poll on a site like this will be non-random and suffer from self-selection.

If any serios party considering buying a Shelby could drive one they would easily pay a reasonable admin. throughout the entire 3 yr. estimated production run.

2 years is confirmed, the 3rd is up in the Air. 2009 is suppose to be the year of the Full body make over for the Mustang, so I would be surprized if the GT500 continues IMO.

2 years is confirmed, the 3rd is up in the Air. 2009 is suppose to be the year of the Full body make over for the Mustang, so I would be surprized if the GT500 continues IMO.

Rob, yes, 2009 was supposed to be the year of the full body redesign, but Ford said a while back that they are behind schedule (strategically speaking) and the redesign probably won't happen until 2010.

Rob, yes, 2009 was supposed to be the year of the full body redesign, but Ford said a while back that they are behind schedule (strategically speaking) and the redesign probably won't happen until 2010.

OK.

I read a big article in Motor Trend in Sept on the re-design for 2009. I guess they were wrong.

OK.

I read a big article in Motor Trend in Sept on the re-design for 2009. I guess they were wrong.

or old news. Mags are about 3-4 months behind. The news in the Sept issue is likely May or June info.

If the redesign is delayed, I'm sure Ford will produce another year of GT500s as long as they are selling. If you call SVT, they say "at least 2 years"

Archived