TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which tires do you use?

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll give those a shot the next time around. Up next immediately is a set of SVT rims with Toyo R888's.

I just need to nail down the treadless rims for a reasonable price. What did you pay for yours?

Ken

I got a set of replicas from American Muscle for $540.00 shipped. I like the look, machined face with black background. I am putting them on on Friday and will post a photo.

Michael

I had the F1's mounted today and wow what a difference! Seriously night and day over the stock BFG's. I knew that they were junk (especially after pricing them), but I had nothing really to compare them to. The car handles so much differently and better now, I'm amazed.

Ken

Ken,

I hope you are right, or my wife is gonna be REAL mad at me :censored: Since I just placed my order with TireRack... I am planning 2 or 3 visits to the track this Summer... And I just can't take the stock BFGs anymore... After watching my in-car videos I took last year, all I heard on the audio track was the screaching from the front tires as I plowed thru just about every turn...

So between the brake upgrades and new sticky tires, this year ought to be a little more "fun" than in the past... And maybe this year, she won't be asking me to slow down as we are making our way around the track :shift:

Gregg

07SGT0547

Ken,

I hope you are right, or my wife is gonna be REAL mad at me :censored: Since I just placed my order with TireRack... I am planning 2 or 3 visits to the track this Summer... And I just can't take the stock BFGs anymore... After watching my in-car videos I took last year, all I heard on the audio track was the screaching from the front tires as I plowed thru just about every turn...

So between the brake upgrades and new sticky tires, this year ought to be a little more "fun" than in the past... And maybe this year, she won't be asking me to slow down as we are making our way around the track :shift:

Gregg

07SGT0547

Hey Gregg you won't be disappointed I promise! While these aren't racing tires or anything, they are most definitely the stickiest street tires I've ever had on any car.

To my surprise, I found out that they handle equally superior in the rain compared to the stockers, which I didn't expect at all. It's been raining the past 2 days and while I don't normally drive my SGT when it's wet, I wanted to test the F1's. Again, night and day is all I can say. :)

As for the track days, I know exactly what you mean. My stock tires were screaming bloody murder all day at every track day I attended. It was almost embarrassing to watch the vids I have. I can't wait to try them out at Thunderhill next weekend!

Ken

Hey Gregg you won't be disappointed I promise! While these aren't racing tires or anything, they are most definitely the stickiest street tires I've ever had on any car.

To my surprise, I found out that they handle equally superior in the rain compared to the stockers, which I didn't expect at all. It's been raining the past 2 days and while I don't normally drive my SGT when it's wet, I wanted to test the F1's. Again, night and day is all I can say. :)

As for the track days, I know exactly what you mean. My stock tires were screaming bloody murder all day at every track day I attended. It was almost embarrassing to watch the vids I have. I can't wait to try them out at Thunderhill next weekend!

Ken

And from what I can find on-line, this size of tire doesn't change your speedo any significant amount???

BFG at 80 MPH = F1 at 79.4 MPH

My next event on the track is maybe in May??? But definitely by the end of June (Mid-America Meet)... So let me know how they worked out at TH :shift:

Gregg

Ken

Just ordered some Yoko S from tire rack $177 each

Just ordered some Yoko S from tire rack $177 each

Just like Ken, I got mine for $137 each :happy feet:

But I do wonder what makes the "KR" version of this same tire (same size even) cost $301 each :headscratch:

KR Tire at TireRack.com

I think I know the answer, but there has to be a better reason than "Just because they only go on fronts of the KR..."

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Just like Ken, I got mine for $137 each :happy feet:

But I do wonder what makes the "KR" version of this same tire (same size even) cost $301 each :headscratch:

KR Tire at TireRack.com

I think I know the answer, but there has to be a better reason than "Just because they only go on fronts of the KR..."

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

The guy at Tire Rack told me that the other ones with "GT500KR" listed next to the title is the 'new compound' of the same F1 tire which was released not long ago.

Basically, the tires you and I just purchased were over $300 until Goodyear redesigned the compound for the first time in a long time. I should have bought TWO sets for the deal we got.

Ken

The guy at Tire Rack told me that the other ones with "GT500KR" listed next to the title is the 'new compound' of the same F1 tire which was released not long ago.

Basically, the tires you and I just purchased were over $300 until Goodyear redesigned the compound for the first time in a long time. I should have bought TWO sets for the deal we got.

Ken

That's what I found by doing some research, but I just wanted to see if someone else got the same answer... Something about being a little softer and stickier for the KR version... And I did ask over the phone how long this "special" was going to last, since I wasn't really ready to purchase... And of course, the answer I got was "Until this batch runs out of stock..." So that tells me that once these $137 versions are gone, then they will be a $250-300 tire... But it is going to be hard enough 'splaining to my wife about 1 set of track tires, let alone 2 :censored: Good deal or not!

Edit = GT500KR Tire Info

Archived