TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which tires do you use?

I've been searching around for some new street performance tires for my SGT and thought I'd see what everyone here uses.

I'd like to keep my stock wheels, so if anyone has any suggestions for something better than the BF's I have now, I'd appreciate it.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Nitto or Yokohama, but any input is much appreciated! Thanks.

Ken

post-20883-1233784228_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1233784228_thumb.jpg

NT555 on the front of the '93 NT555R (DragRadial) on the back, NT555 all the way around on the L. Weekend driver go with the 555R Drag Radials on the rear, daily driver 555. The 555R offer great dry traction but will not last much beyond 15k and will not hydo plane bad if you get caught in the rain. Other Drag radials get better traction but you will scarifice wet traction.

Paul

I have the triple nickel on my 66 fastback, but it's not running yet, so I haven't been able to test them out.

I guess I should wait till I can feel the traction of those tires, in case I want to end up running the same tread on my SGT.

Thanks for the input!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into Yokohama tires for my SGT when I get the wheels this spring. I'd be interested in other's input on tires also.

I know several have gone with the Nitto 555 Extreme. . . . I know some have gone with BFGoodrich G-Force KDW / and KDW2.

Personally - I just don't want to blow $$$ on tires every year. I'm looking into Yokohama S.Drive tires for my SGT.

I've read several customer reviews of the S.Drive - for the lower cost - they perform very well. I guess these are a starting point. . . I can always upgrade tires to something better/more expensive later. Just can't justify the cost of SUPER expensive tires and the wheels at the same time.

just my $0.02

I'm looking into Yokohama tires for my SGT when I get the wheels this spring. I'd be interested in other's input on tires also.

I know several have gone with the Nitto 555 Extreme. . . . I know some have gone with BFGoodrich G-Force KDW / and KDW2.

Personally - I just don't want to blow $$$ on tires every year. I'm looking into Yokohama S.Drive tires for my SGT.

I've read several customer reviews of the S.Drive - for the lower cost - they perform very well. I guess these are a starting point. . . I can always upgrade tires to something better/more expensive later. Just can't justify the cost of SUPER expensive tires and the wheels at the same time.

just my $0.02

I don't think the KDW II's are that expensive.

They look/preform great and are stamped, "Made in the USA"!

snakehurst01.jpg

blueFIA02.jpg

I too am getting ready to put some tires on my 20" razors. I went to tire rack for their comparison of preformance tires. Pirelli came out first ($406 each), second was Brigstone Protenza followed by the KDW. This is the first I have seen anything of the protenza. Has anyone used this tire?

Thanks

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

What's the biggest tire we can cram on an 18" rim?

I can't stand these BFG's anymore. It's like putting a Kenyan marathon runner in a pair of galoshes. :huh:

I'm ready to buy asap, but have been burned at tire shops in the past on correct sizing.

Thanks for any info.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
What's the biggest tire we can cram on an 18" rim?

I can't stand these BFG's anymore. It's like putting a Kenyan marathon runner in a pair of galoshes. :huh:

I'm ready to buy asap, but have been burned at tire shops in the past on correct sizing.

Thanks for any info.

Ken

BUMP^^^

Anyone know how wide/tall of a tire we can fit on our stockers?

I've had 3 different answers from 3 different tire shops so far. :headscratch:

Ken

I've been searching around for some new street performance tires for my SGT and thought I'd see what everyone here uses.

I'd like to keep my stock wheels, so if anyone has any suggestions for something better than the BF's I have now, I'd appreciate it.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Nitto or Yokohama, but any input is much appreciated! Thanks.

Ken

My 08 Shelby GT/SC came with the Nitto's on the optional 20" Razors and I am not a fan of these tires. I have less than 600 miles on them in which I'll take a pic of the odometer and I prefer to sell these and get BF Goodrich or Bridgestone's

I don't think the KDW II's are that expensive.

They look/preform great and are stamped, "Made in the USA"!

snakehurst01.jpg

blueFIA02.jpg

Those are good looking rims, can you take a wider shot of the car with front and back in it?

BUMP^^^

Anyone know how wide/tall of a tire we can fit on our stockers?

I've had 3 different answers from 3 different tire shops so far. :headscratch:

Ken

If you stay close to stock diameter a 255/45 is probably the largest for the stock wheels. 9" is usually listed as the minimum recommended rim width for 265/40 and 275/40 sizes. I have Sumitomo HTR Z III 255/45 on 18x9" wheels for street driving and Nitto NT05 275/40 on 18x9.5" wheels for track days.

If you stay close to stock diameter a 255/45 is probably the largest for the stock wheels. 9" is usually listed as the minimum recommended rim width for 265/40 and 275/40 sizes. I have Sumitomo HTR Z III 255/45 on 18x9" wheels for street driving and Nitto NT05 275/40 on 18x9.5" wheels for track days.

So did you store or sell the stock rims?

Thanks for the info by the way. This is the best answer I've gotten from anyone.

Ken

I have GT500 front brakes on my car so I'm "preserving" the stock wheels and tires. My wife got a chuckle out of that.

LOL ya I tried that for awhile with my own wife. "Sweetheart, what better way to preserve the Shelby than to remove these parts and store them for years in new condition?!"

It didn't take her long to catch on. ;)

Ken

Nitto 555's, I like them so far. I got them from Discount Tire because Tire Rack did not have them, they were much cheaper then the KDW's and both got very good reviews. I had Yokohama's in the past and hated them, but it was a different model than the ones you are looking at. The ones I had made significant road noise and as the wore it only got worse. Worst tires I have ever had.

FYI

I just spoke to someone at Tirerack.com and they confirmed that the 255/45's are the biggest tire you can cram on our stock rims.

I'm ordering up a set of the F1 Supercars now for only $137 each!

Ken

I had the F1's mounted today and wow what a difference! Seriously night and day over the stock BFG's. I knew that they were junk (especially after pricing them), but I had nothing really to compare them to. The car handles so much differently and better now, I'm amazed.

Here's an FYI for anyone with coilover suspension. When my car was raised in the air, the coilover springs were completely loose and flopping around. The first time I left the tire shop, I made it about 1/2 a block before crawling back to the bay, because it sounded like my rear end was falling apart. After getting it on the lift, I noticed the springs and assumed that they got bound up the first time. One of the techs and I guided the springs into the saddles as the car was being lowered the second time. I drove off and had no rattle at all. Just a heads up for anyone else that wasn't aware of this.

Ken

Ken,

If you are staying with the stock Bullitts, +1 on 255/45-18.

I have had great luck with Falken FK 452. Superior ride quality and actually pretty damn good for occasional track days. I had them on my stock wheels and my 20s. I have just sold the 20s and bought a set of GT500 wheels (need to fit over the big brakes). I am going with the FK 452s again.

MM

Ken,

If you are staying with the stock Bullitts, +1 on 255/45-18.

I have had great luck with Falken FK 452. Superior ride quality and actually pretty damn good for occasional track days. I had them on my stock wheels and my 20s. I have just sold the 20s and bought a set of GT500 wheels (need to fit over the big brakes). I am going with the FK 452s again.

MM

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll give those a shot the next time around. Up next immediately is a set of SVT rims with Toyo R888's.

I just need to nail down the treadless rims for a reasonable price. What did you pay for yours?

Ken

Archived