TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Trans TSB and other findings

FiaCobra

My 2008 is in the shop now getting the trans TSB completed. I've been talking to the tech who is working on my car and he told me something interesting. It seems the 2007 and 2008 cars are different in one aspect we never knew of. When the trans is removed and you look up into the area of the car where the bell housing would be, you'll notice a body seam. Supposedly on the 2007 models (not confirmed yet), there's a flange where two body pieces come together in the trans tunnel. The 2008 cars don't have this flange......just a seam where the body panels are over lapped, spot welded, then sealed.

The tech said he's been on a Ford Tech forum (not a public access site such as this site) and of course this TSB is a hot topic. Some guys are complaining about how difficult it is to remove the trans due to the tight fit and that flange on the 2007 models. Some guys are even going as far as bending the flange before reinstalling the trans to make the job easier. Can anyone confirm if a 2007 model has this flange?

The following pic is of Grabbers 2007 Shelby. This is the only pic where you may see the flange that I speak of.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x53/Gra...allation035.jpg

You can see it in the upper left and upper right side of the pic. Grabber, do you remember your tech talking about the clearance he had to work with?

I'll need to go back to the dealer to snap a pic of my transmission tunnel so I can point out exactly what i'm talking about.

Also, I wanted to compare "Pre TSB" clutch pics with anyone who has had this TSB done

THREAD HERE:http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38904

please post pics in that thread.

Also, just a quick note. My dealer had all the parts except one. It's a puller that's used to remove 5th gear. The tech has several similar pullers but this trans needs this new puller.

My 2008 is in the shop now getting the trans TSB completed. I've been talking to the tech who is working on my car and he told me something interesting. It seems the 2007 and 2008 cars are different in one aspect we never knew of. When the trans is removed and you look up into the area of the car where the bell housing would be, you'll notice a body seam. Supposedly on the 2007 models (not confirmed yet), there's a flange where two body pieces come together in the trans tunnel. The 2008 cars don't have this flange......just a seam where the body panels are over lapped, spot welded, then sealed.

The tech said he's been on a Ford Tech forum (not a public access site such as this site) and of course this TSB is a hot topic. Some guys are complaining about how difficult it is to remove the trans due to the tight fit and that flange on the 2007 models. Some guys are even going as far as bending the flange before reinstalling the trans to make the job easier. Can anyone confirm if a 2007 model has this flange?

The following pic is of Grabbers 2007 Shelby. This is the only pic where you may see the flange that I speak of.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x53/Gra...allation035.jpg

You can see it in the upper left and upper right side of the pic. Grabber, do you remember your tech talking about the clearance he had to work with?

I'll need to go back to the dealer to snap a pic of my transmission tunnel so I can point out exactly what i'm talking about.

Also, I wanted to compare "Pre TSB" clutch pics with anyone who has had this TSB done

THREAD HERE:http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38904

please post pics in that thread.

Also, just a quick note. My dealer had all the parts except one. It's a puller that's used to remove 5th gear. The tech has several similar pullers but this trans needs this new puller.

This is a pix of my car showing the front of the engine lifted to help with the clearance issue. This also shows the old style flywheel. There is allot of pix posted of the new and old clutch. Post a pix of your seam if you can. post-5223-1233626593_thumb.jpg

post-5223-1233626593_thumb.jpg

The tranny comes right out like a piece of cake if the mech puts just a little pressure on the front of the motor to tilt it just a little bit. It does not take much. Just a 1/2 inch of pressure in the front tilts the motor just enough so the tranny comes right out like pudding.

th_Flywheelinstallation029.jpg

Note the tripod jack at the front of the car used to jack the front of the motor 1/2 inch.

th_Flywheelinstallation032.jpg

Here's a pic of my car with the tranny out.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts045.jpg

Post a pix of your seam if you can. post-5223-1233626593_thumb.jpg

Snake, take a look at your pic. You can see the flange i'm talking about on the right hand side of the pic (it's colored red....same as the exterior of your car)

Here's my seam (no flange) on an '08 Model.

Sorry for the blurry pics

seam1xr7.jpg

seam3cu9.jpg

Archived