TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Trip!

Flyingbadgers2001

Hey Gang, I've been back home for about 10 days now and I am ready to get the heck out of Wisconsin. So me and the old man are going to the West Coast to see some relatives and see SAI in Vegas and with the gas prices at a pretty good price and while I am still on military leave I figured why not spontaneous jump in the SGT and go for a long drive. I am now in NC where my SGT was being kept by my friend in his garage. After four months he only put on less than a hundred miles on it. Today I got it cleaned up, checked the fluids, topped off the tank, installed the Sirius satellite radio device and its ready to roll for Saturday morning. I’m taking the Southern route, Interstate 20 and 10 to avoid any harsh weather. I hope to see some Shelby’s on our travels. I got my camera at the ready. With any luck I may catch a car show or gathering while I am in So Cal. -FB

Hey Gang, I've been back home for about 10 days now and I am ready to get the heck out of Wisconsin. So me and the old man are going to the West Coast to see some relatives and see SAI in Vegas and with the gas prices at a pretty good price and while I am still on military leave I figured why not spontaneous jump in the SGT and go for a long drive. I am now in NC where my SGT was being kept by my friend in his garage. After four months he only put on less than a hundred miles on it. Today I got it cleaned up, checked the fluids, topped off the tank, installed the Sirius satellite radio device and its ready to roll for Saturday morning. I’m taking the Southern route, Interstate 20 and 10 to avoid any harsh weather. I hope to see some Shelby’s on our travels. I got my camera at the ready. With any luck I may catch a car show or gathering while I am in So Cal. -FB

Hey FB sounds like a great trip and if you're leaving today the weather in Carolina will be great. Hope you have enough time to get off the slab for extended periods like through the twisties of NC and Tenn. We'll be looking for lots of pics along the way. Have fun.

Jim

Sounds like a blast - and a good plan to stay on the southern roads!! A friend of mine made a similar trip but made the mistake of heading thru Colorado and got stuck in a snow storm / traffic for over a day. I'd love to take a trip like that in my SGT; your very fortunate to have that opportunity.

Hey Gang,

After long, long hours of driving today. I and the old man and my Pug (Ms Magoo) are here in El Paso, TX. Leaving Fayetteville, NC at 7:30 AM the weather has been awesome all the way through. The highlight of the trip so far was seeing another SGT in Georgia. In fact it was one of the best looking SGTs' (Even if it was a white colored SGT) I have ever seen. I was able to post a video of this bad ass white SGT that had a Cervini kit. I posted a video of this SGT on my FACEBOOK PAGE.

Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...amp;ref=profile

It got dark when we got to Mississippi and didn’t see much of Louisiana either. By the time we passed Dallas and Ft Worth it was a just of matter of a couple hours before the sun would rise. I tried to make it to the sunrise and maybe get another hundred miles before we called it a day. So we stopped at a truck stop near Tyler, Texas where I bought two glaze doughnuts, 1 liter of Mountain Dew and that little bottle of that 5 hour energy drink. I stuffed the 2 Krispy Kreme style doughnuts in my mouth and drank the 5 hour energy drink like tequila shot and downed half of the Mountain Dew while I was filling up the tank on the Shelby. My father who was riding shotgun was apprehensive about getting in the car with me, thinking that after a few minutes I would start going into a Taz cyclone rage. But as soon as we left the truck stop I was expecting to turn into Superman with X-ray vision myself, but instead I went 15 minutes heading West on Interstate 20 and started to doze off. Can you believe it?! So I took the following exit to the next truck stop I came upon and I stopped the SGT in the parking lot of the truck stop, turned off the ignition, moved the driver’s seat all the way back and lowered the back of the seat and slept like a baby in 2 minutes flat. (So much for the 5 hour energy drink!) When I was awaken by my Dad who was snoring in the passenger seat and my Pug in the back seat keeping in pace with my Father, I looked at my cell phone clock and realized that I had napped out for about 2 1/2 hours. The sun was starting to rise above the horizon. It was a little chilly and with the dueling snoring banjos at full swing I figured I would just fire up the SGT and start heading west again. I didn’t feel that bad when I woke up. I did not get the shakes or fatigue symptoms I thought I would get after downing all that sugar and caffeine. Maybe next time I will down a 64 ounce of coffee with the same combination next time and see how far I get. I will say this much Texas. It is a big state! The speed limit was 80 MPH on Interstate 20 for a good portion of the way which helps to get some distance under our belt under a short period of time. We did have a brand new BMW try to egg us on for a race down the highway, My Dad was driving at the time and he maintained his composer and just kept his speed t 85 MPH, which frustrated the driver of the BMW who was trying to show off his masculinity to his girlfriend. We didn’t take the bait and he sped away like a nut. Besides we saw lots and lots of cops in Texas. I don't want to spend my money on speeding tickets. I want to spend my money at the Shelby gift shop! Tomorrow we will be in Arizona and then California. I can't wait to get to Vegas on my way back to NC in a couple of days. In - n - Out Burger here I come!!! I will keep you posted -FB

I'm in the OC/IE area and if any other TS members are around and willing to meet up at an IN N Out on Wed night? FlyingBadgers mentioned that he will be in Anaheim area this week..... Maybe we can hit one over in the OC somewhere? There's the IN N OUT over in Orange off of Tustin Ave?

I'm in the OC/IE area and if any other TS members are around and willing to meet up at an IN N Out on Wed night? FlyingBadgers mentioned that he will be in Anaheim area this week..... Maybe we can hit one over in the OC somewhere? There's the IN N OUT over in Orange off of Tustin Ave?

I invited him to the house in costa mesa (end of the 55). I would be up for a shelby meet at an OC In-N-Out on Wed, I'm off the whole day. Pierce St Annex (Bar) has a BBQ and a outside patio w/big parking lot on 17th st just south of the 55 freeway and has easy access to PCH.

Can you tell, I'm starved for attention. : )

Mike 714-317-6227 cell

Thanks for the update FB. Post some pics when you can and enjoy the quality time with your dad and the Pug too. Most of us never have the chance for a good road trip with our dads, especially in a wonderful car like the Shelby.

Enjoy for all of us who can't

Jim

We made it! My father and I crossed the state line last night. After departing El Paso we crossed into NM and it was sublime as far as driving goes, the landscape was awesome! Arizona offers some beautiful vistas. Blue sky... just nothing but deep blue sky with no trace of clouds anywhere. It was if I had put in a weather request to God and asked him for perfect driving weather for the entire trip to the West Coast. He delivered! God must like Shelby’s! I thanked him for hooking me up with some fantastic weather. The SGT looks like it came out of a Gladiator arena. A lot of dirt and dust has covered the entire car. A few bugs in the grill, but I'm sure if we made this trip in the late spring or summer the front of the Shelby would of been peppered with all kinds of insects. Overall we managed good gas mileage, about 25 mpg on a given average of 75-80 mph. Today I am at March AFB in Riverside. We stayed on base at the enlisted lodging quarters. The building we stayed in was an old pre-WWII barracks. The inside of the building built in 1939 was converted into suites. I heard the bugle call of reveille and colors over the base loud speakers this morning and couldn’t help but think about those days of recruit training at MCRD San Diego (Marine Corps Boot Camp) As we collected ourselves and got our stuff together this morning I walked outside and the cool clean February brisk morning air was like inhaling on 100% oxygen from my helmet/mask on my oxygen regulator on the C-130. The Palm trees, the Spanish mission style architecture and the 30's art deco style military buildings surrounded by mountains, some capped by snow at the peaks. It is so beautiful here. It must have been something to fly around here on days like this during the 30's and 40's with an open cockpit aircraft. What a rush that must of been. Well today, we will head towards to the Pacific Ocean and see my relatives and some friends. I am hoping to get with some of you guys out here and perhaps we can meet up somewhere. My sister had made arrangements for us at a hotel near Disneyland. We plan to stay for 2 days there and then head out to Vegas and see Shelby Autos. Basically we are shooting from the hip as far as our schedule goes. The days are just not long enough! LOL! Well, time to hop in the Mustang and fire her up and take off and fly to the coast with the cockpit wide open. I'll keep you guys posted on my movements as we get settle in Anaheim. -FB

P.S. Pics will follow soon.

new_rims_003__3_.jpg

My wife has class near disneyland till 4pm then I'm free to meet up. My place is close to PCH off of Newport and 55. What about the guy from Santa Ana that won the car. He should come out and show us his new toy. : )

My cell is in above response, I can meet for brief hello or hang for a while. My BBQ is also at TeamShelbys disposal, weather permiting.

If we don't get together, it sounds like your having a great trip.

Mike

new_rims_003__3_.jpg

Hey OC gang, we will be in the So. OC area today. We are going to meet up with my Sister over in Costa Mesa. She has a home interior store on Santa Ana Street and 17th. Nearby is a really good Mexican restaurant called Taco Mesa on 19th. Later this afternoon we will be having dinner with my other Sister in Garden Grove. Tomorrow we will be in San Juan Capistrano around 2:00-4:00 PM then after that we will have the rest of the day to hook up with anyone. I have a GPS and can find just about place in OC. Friday morning we head for Shelby in Vegas. I would like to meet up fellow Team Shelby members here in Cali. -FB

post-12648-1233768563_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1233768857_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1233768912_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1233768931_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1233769051_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1233768966_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1233768563_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1233768857_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1233768912_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1233768931_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1233768966_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1233769051_thumb.jpg

What time are you leaving for Vegas? Will you be coming back to So Cal then going home ? Or will you be leaving from Vegas?

Yeah... We are departing for Vegas around 6:30 AM. I would love to come back to So Cal and stay for a few more days, but its time to head back to NC. I had a great time last night at the bar. As soon as I get some time I will write up my experiences of what we did and post some pics. We are getting ready to check out of the hotel right now and I got to power down the laptop. Mike, you are the man, Bro! Thanks! - FB

Mike, you are the man, Bro! Thanks! - FB

I'll see if I can score another knit hat, with appropriate CSM #. Tell your dad, good looken out on that Costa Mesa PD car. It only took 10 min to wipe the car down. Safe travels.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’m back home and everyone is in one piece. My SGT ran great and boy did it run. Hooked up with (Mikesdream) in Costa Mesa. The weather was looking pretty good until it started to rain in the late afternoon. But like a champ, Mike still showed up at the Tavern.

I was so stoked when Mike gave me a Shelby Bash 2009 edition die-cast car of a Super Snake. We must have talked for a couple of hours about our Shelby’s. It was show and tell as both of our cars took center stage. But I was most impressed with Mike’s trunk lid. It was signed by all the folks at Shelby who put together our SGT's and even had Amy’s and Bondurants signature as well. Mike thanks for the gifts and your friendship. (P.S. The pizza was awesome! My Dad is still raving about it.) Once my dad and I said thanks and bye to Mike, we headed back to Anaheim at which at that time I saw a silver CS6 drive by. I couldn’t believe it! I tried to follow, but lost him in the traffic. (Keep an eye out for him Mike) The next day, very early we set out for Las Vegas, It was still raining and I was bummed because the SGT was getting really dirty after driving several miles on the freeway. As we came upon El Cajon Pass the sky started to clear up and the blue sky was becoming more abundant. The morning sun was peeking out from every hole and space between the clouds and a few rainbows could be seen as we drove through the high desert of California. Once we reached Las Vegas I started to get really excited. The traffic was painfully slow due to construction on the freeway which made me more anxious to reach my destination. As we approached the exit I saw the SHELBY letters on the building and hit the gas with vengeance. Oh Boy! Finally reached the Shelby World Headquarters! I arrived with camera at the ready taking pics of just about anything that was Shelby related. Unfortunately I did not make the 10:30 AM tour but I was allowed in to see the floor where all the Shelby’s are put together. I even had a chance to write my name on the wall! I looked over all the Cobras and Mustangs in the Museum and spent a few bucks in the gift shop. (Like a kid in a candy store) Dolly who was working the counter in the gift shop was very nice and very helpful. As we departed the museum a GT-H vert showed up. So I took advantage of the photo op and had both our cars park in front of the Shelby main entrance. Afterwards we strolled around the parking lot and I was amazed of how many GT500's that were getting converted into Super Snakes! One warehouse was just full of GT500/SS of every color. Pop and I were getting the munchies so our next obvious stop was the Shelby Cafe. I got the Shelby GT burger. (Of course) and my Dad got the Terlingua burger. Man! The food was great! I even got the place mat of my car (Black SGT). Too bad I couldn’t buy the leather bound menu.

That would have made a neat souvenir. As we were leaving the Cafe a gentleman in a golf cart pulls up and says to me that he has a Black SGT too. I asked him his CSM # and he’s says its 56. The person I was speaking to was Donnie Beson, Dir. of Sales for Shelby. We spoke for a few minutes and then we went to the Petro truck stop/gas station to fuel up and head back east. We crossed into Arizona around sunset and stopped at the Hoover Dam. It was quite a sight. Then as darkness fell I was at the helm of the SGT and figured after driving several miles on this lonely Arizona road without seeing little to no traffic, I decided to hammer down and get up to 120 MPH before my common sense kicked in and I backed off the throttle and I was letting the SGT cruise back down to 75MPH. But then it was too late. (Hello Arizona State Police) Doh! I just pulled over to the shoulder and waited for him to pull up behind me. I was busted, or was I? It turns out that the very young Trooper was in the service and I being in the USMC, we talked about Iraq and Shelby’s and Law enforcement.

20 minutes later of chewing the fat. I get a warning. He clocked me at 91 MPH when I had back off the pedal and was coasting down to 75MPH when I passed him. Good thing he didn’t get me at 120 MPH. Whew! That was a close one! Pretty cool cop! I took his advice and I did 70 MPH for the rest of the time I was in Arizona. But this would not be the last time I have encounter with the law. The next day in Oklahoma heading East on Interstate 40, I again was at the wheel when, Boom! (Hello Mr. Officer), who was parked facing oncoming traffic. He startled me for a second and then I looked down at the speedo and saw that I was around 77-80 MPH in a 70MPH. eh? That’s not that bad? After all I was in the slow lane and traffic was flowing about the same speed I was. Sure enough here comes the blue light special. So the Oklahoma Trooper asks me if I knew how fast I was going. I reply, duh 80 MPH. He says I got you at 78. So I’m like cool. 78 MPH isn’t bad, right? Well, I get the paperwork out and he asks me to come with him to his Crown Vic and I take a front seat in the passenger side. He runs my name though the computer and he start writing on his clipboard. The info on the computer comes back with no negative info and during this time I’m pretty cool about what’s happening. I figured by all rights I should have gotten a speeding ticket in Arizona. So if this guy writes me up at least I wasn’t going very fast and so the fine won’t be that much. Then he hands me the clipboard and tells me to sign the bottom line and tells me that he is going to give me a warning this time. Oh Man, two in a row! What dumb luck! Then once I sign the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety Contact Report (Warning Notice) we spend about 25 minutes talking about the Shelby. I think Officer Parish wanted to get an up close look at my SGT. I could tell he was a big Mustang fan. But he had me sweating bullets for awhile there. So again I took the Troopers advice and I did the speed limit the entire time I was in Oklahoma. In fact I pretty much did the speed limit until I got back to North Carolina. I did not want to test the theory of 3x is the charm. So now the SGT is all cleaned up, I just did an oil change with Royal Purple and she’s ready for the next adventure. –FB

post-12648-1234643216_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1234643235_thumb.jpgpost-768-1131387017_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1234643311_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1234643362_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1234643374_thumb.jpgpost-12648-1234643429_thumb.jpg[attach

ment=40786:road_tripA02.jpg]post-12648-1234643541_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643292_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643526_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643216_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643235_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643292_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643311_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643362_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643374_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643429_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643526_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234643541_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm back home and everyone is in one piece. My SGT ran great and boy did it run. Hooked up with (Mikesdream) in Costa Mesa. The weather was looking pretty good until it started to rain in the late afternoon. But like a champ, Mike still showed up at the Tavern.

Sounds like a GREAT Trip... And Mike is a good guy to hang out with... By chance (CS85 & CS86) we were both in the same run group for the open-track events... Nice to know who you are out on the track with, especially at 100 MPH :shift:

post-8727-1234649656_thumb.jpg

Behind me in the Pits (CS85)

post-8727-1234649910_thumb.jpg

Beside me at Lunch Stop (CS86)

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

post-8727-1234649656_thumb.jpg

post-8727-1234649910_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234676317_thumb.jpg My car getting the V.I.P. treatment. Complete hand wash and wax in Garden Grove.

post-12648-1234675921_thumb.jpg After the wash and wax.

post-12648-1234676232_thumb.jpg My odometer hitting 10,000 miles just outside Las Vegas.

post-12648-1234676033_thumb.jpg This guy rented the GT-H vert from Las Vegas Hertz.

post-12648-1234675997_thumb.jpg Close up shot of a SS that was in the parking lot at SAI.

post-12648-1234675870_thumb.jpg My Dad took this photo. Just a warning. :happy feet:

post-12648-1234675896_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234675870_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234675896_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234675921_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234675997_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234676033_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234676232_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1234676317_thumb.jpg

Archived