TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Calling all Series 1 owners

2007shelbyGT500

Can anyone add some real world information to these elusive cars? I know the obvious, low production, not so big HP, but how is the car really? Would you buy this car all over again if you had to? Does the Oldsmobile engine bother you? Is the HP enough for this car? It is very hard to find current information on these cars and hope to stimulate others into talking about this car more. Any info would be great.

Thanks-

Brad

(Forum headline changed for spelling correction at Brad's request)

Just wanted to let you know that I took the liberty of deleting the duplicate forum about this subject.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Can anyone add some real world information to these elusive cars? I know the obvious, low production, not so big HP, but how is the car really? Would you buy this car all over again if you had to? Does the Oldsmobile engine bother you? Is the HP enough for this car? It is very hard to find current information on these cars and hope to stimulate others into talking about this car more. Any info would be great.

Thanks-

Brad

I got to ride in a modified race prepped one driven by Bob Bondurant around the track and holy :censored: comes to mind! Bad :censored: car!

However, the Olds engine does bother me... I would buy one at the right price

• 2 years later...

Thanks-

Brad

I just bought one and have not put many miles on it yet. It is not the fastest car I have driven but it is a blast to drive. It has a great feel for the road. Sounds like music to my ears. Handles great. Turns a lot of heads. I tell my wife it is her, but it may be the car attracting the attention. Because they are so rare most people have not seen one. I think the series 1 turned out a little overweight and underpowered but it's not all about HP at least not for me. I'm sure the supercharged motors have plenty of giddie-up. It really is a fun, but not so practical car.

New owner CSX5123

• 3 months later...

Thanks-

Brad

hey do you own a series I have 5142 raced at saac26 charlette race track had carroll sign across the whole hood and engine I would buy another if I had the room call me with questions or email 646 236 7914 ray sr

I just bought one and have not put many miles on it yet. It is not the fastest car I have driven but it is a blast to drive. It has a great feel for the road. Sounds like music to my ears. Handles great. Turns a lot of heads. I tell my wife it is her, but it may be the car attracting the attention. Because they are so rare most people have not seen one. I think the series 1 turned out a little overweight and underpowered but it's not all about HP at least not for me. I'm sure the supercharged motors have plenty of giddie-up. It really is a fun, but not so practical car.

New owner CSX5123

Overweight? At a hair over 2600 pounds you think it's overweight?

Yeah, you need to ride in a supercharged one, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, quarter mile in 11.3 (as done by "Lets have some damn fun" Gary Patterson in Vegas) and with the right tires will pull well over 1g. I've gotten mine sideways simply accelerating in 3rd gear, with 14" wide race tires. The performance is mindblowing. However, it is not comfortable, the stereo is next to useless, the A/C is the same way, it's a bitch to work on, and it is HOT because the heat from the hood vent comes right up the windshield, curls around and comes right back into the passenger compartment. To make that worse, the heat from the side vents comes in the windows. So, it's hot, you smell the exhaust all the time, it's loud, it's uncomfortable, it's scary-fast, and driving it is purely wonderful. Gee, it really is related to the Cobra!

I really do dislike one thing: the constant "is that a Viper?" or "is it a 'Vette?" I get when people see it. Very few people have the slightest idea what it is, which is cool in itself.

I love to drive mine as well...stereo??? Does it have one? Lol

Hearing the exhaust is incredible. I also have a Viper and Vette, neither can compare to the Series One.

I have to agree with CSX4350..... the "is it a Viper or a Vette?" is constant from everyone who sees it.

One lady told me she didn't like it because the dash and doors were not Alcantar leather wrapped like the Italian cars! Oh well.... :headscratch:

Mine is also Supercharged and is a definite keeper in my corral. :shift:

One lady told me she didn't like it because the dash and doors were not Alcantar leather wrapped like the Italian cars! Oh well.... :headscratch:

She can keep her Italian trash, these things have WAY more personality than some Ferrari or a tractor-in-disguise. Somehow I doubt that in 1999 even the Italian supercars (which the Series 1 was really designed to compete with) had Alcantar leather.

And yes, they are a pain to work on, but I still replaced the clutch with a seriously bulletproof dual disc from a GT500 and paid a mechanic to do it for less than half the price of a simple tune-up on a Ferrari. I am NOT looking forward to replacing the two belts though, and it should probably be done before too long as they're getting old. Like the clutch, the first time is the learning process, after that it's much easier as you know what to do.

• 1 month later...

Have you read the book "Snake Bit"? Written by Eric Davison. Published in 2004.

Its an interesting read.

Steve

TO SAY THE LEAST!

Every Shelby fan should read it, for sure. Fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Snake-Bit-Carroll-Shelbys-Controversial/dp/076031781X

Jer

• 6 months later...

I'm curious as to why the numbers are larger than number of cars built, did The CSX # include the Cobras also ?

Just brought # 5027 home from Florida, relocated to Arkansas !

Wendell

I have the June 2012 issue of Automobile magazine and on the back is a full add for the new 2013 SL with this description:

"With an advanced chassis constructed of nearly 90% aluminum, the new SL is close to 300 pounds lighter. And with its bi-turbo V-8 producing a spectacular 429 hp, it will reach 60 mph in a scorching 4.5 seconds."

Sounds like even 14 years later they still can't compete with the performance of the Series 1. There was so much that could be done with that chassis.

Two Shelby's , I know they got the CSX5000 #'s but so does the Cobra, did the two cars share the 5000 sequence ? Where I'm coming from is 249 Series One's sold but I have seen numbers higher than CSX5249 ?

Two Shelby's , I know they got the CSX5000 #'s but so does the Cobra, did the two cars share the 5000 sequence ? Where I'm coming from is 249 Series One's sold but I have seen numbers higher than CSX5249 ?

The numbering scheme I am familiar with would say no Cobras are assigned CSX5000 numbers. Cobras get CSX2000 (original 289), CSX3000 (original 427), CSX4000 (first Continuation 427), CSX6000 (427 continuation after they ran out of 4000), CSX7000 (289 FIA), CSX8000 (289 Street). There are also CSX1000 (special aluminum 427s from England), Only Series 1s are in CSX5000. If you know of a Cobra with a CSX5000 VIN i'd like to see it.

Archived