TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mjollnir turned 13

Dig-It

Mjollnir (pronounced me-YOLL-near) is the name of Thor's war hammer from Norse mythology. It is also the name I gave to my 2001 Mustang GT when I installed a Kenne Bell 1.7L supercharger in September of 2003.

So it's a nice dry, cold, clear, day today - perfect driving weather. I set out to prep the 2001 Mustang and the Shelby GT for storage while I'm on travel for a few months. I plan on driving each car about twenty country highway miles and then changing the oil.

As I pull out of the driveway in the Mustang GT, I look down at the odometer and see "13000.0". Not bad for an almost eight year old garage queen stored for purely sentimental reasons. She was manufactured March 23, 2001 and I bought her on April 25, 2001. I roll slowly out of the neighborhood and began my drive. Flash forward to halfway into my twenty mile loop when I turn off of one country road and onto another a directly behind a brand-still-has-the-temporary-tags-new Dodge Challenger SRT8 in TorRed. It's a beautiful car.

He accelerates quickly as soon as the one lane country road branches into two. That car can move! I slide into the empty left lane, double clutch down shift, and floor it. The KB quickly builds into a loud whine as my Magnaflow exhaust roars. He looks in the side view mirror and sees me catching up rapidly. His 4100 lb. and 425 fwhp car isn't too much of a challenge for my 3200 lb. and 425 rwhp SN95 Mustang (no pun intended until after I read what I typed).

As soon as I pulled up next to him, he let off the gas. I did the same. We looked at each other, smiled and exchanged a thumbs-up. As soon as his hand dropped, that dude took off again. Still in fourth gear, all I had to do was press down with my right foot. Without having to down shift, I caught up to him even quicker this time. He let off momentarily, as did I, before he punched the throttle for a third time. When I caught up to him this time, he points out the window to his right.

We pull into a parking lot five miles down the road from where we first met up. We both get out of our cars laughing, introduce ourselves and thank God Johnny Law wasn't out cruising around the back roads like we were. We check out each others cars and BS for a little bit. Then he confesses: the first time I caught up to him he couldn't believe it; the second time he heard the blower and the exhaust and knew he wasn't dealing with a stock Mustang; he said he punched it the third time just to listen to my car all over again.

After that, we both got in our cars and drove off. I did the speed limit the last five miles home. Man, that was a good drive!

Guest markham51
Mjollnir (pronounced me-YOLL-near) is the name of Thor's war hammer from Norse mythology. It is also the name I gave to my 2001 Mustang GT when I installed a Kenne Bell 1.7L supercharger in September of 2003.

So it's a nice dry, cold, clear, day today - perfect driving weather. I set out to prep the 2001 Mustang and the Shelby GT for storage while I'm on travel for a few months. I plan on driving each car about twenty country highway miles and then changing the oil.

As I pull out of the driveway in the Mustang GT, I look down at the odometer and see "13000.0". Not bad for an almost eight year old garage queen stored for purely sentimental reasons. She was manufactured March 23, 2001 and I bought her on April 25, 2001. I roll slowly out of the neighborhood and began my drive. Flash forward to halfway into my twenty mile loop when I turn off of one country road and onto another a directly behind a brand-still-has-the-temporary-tags-new Dodge Challenger SRT8 in TorRed. It's a beautiful car.

He accelerates quickly as soon as the one lane country road branches into two. That car can move! I slide into the empty left lane, double clutch down shift, and floor it. The KB quickly builds into a loud whine as my Magnaflow exhaust roars. He looks in the side view mirror and sees me catching up rapidly. His 4100 lb. and 425 fwhp car isn't too much of a challenge for my 3200 lb. and 425 rwhp SN95 Mustang (no pun intended until after I read what I typed).

As soon as I pulled up next to him, he let off the gas. I did the same. We looked at each other, smiled and exchanged a thumbs-up. As soon as his hand dropped, that dude took off again. Still in fourth gear, all I had to do was press down with my right foot. Without having to down shift, I caught up to him even quicker this time. He let off momentarily, as did I, before he punched the throttle for a third time. When I caught up to him this time, he points out the window to his right.

We pull into a parking lot five miles down the road from where we first met up. We both get out of our cars laughing, introduce ourselves and thank God Johnny Law wasn't out cruising around the back roads like we were. We check out each others cars and BS for a little bit. Then he confesses: the first time I caught up to him he couldn't believe it; the second time he heard the blower and the exhaust and knew he wasn't dealing with a stock Mustang; he said he punched it the third time just to listen to my car all over again.

After that, we both got in our cars and drove off. I did the speed limit the last five miles home. Man, that was a good drive!

Excellent story. Well written!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived