TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX4005LA

twobjshelbys

Does the registry have any info on chassis build date, power train installer and date, and customer delivery dates?

Also any info on the other CSX4xxxLA vehicles dates would be cool, locations etc. would be cool too.

What is the logic behind the LA series? There must be some difference between them - what is it?

The Roush guy said the routing and dressing of the electricals wasn't "authentic". They go along side the passenger side outside the air intakes. He said they should have been routed down the center between them.

I was hoping it was really the original 4005 car with a new motor but I too didn't think the carbon fiber went back that far. (That would have been way too cool and I would have had a real gem, not that this one isn't...)

The only information in the registry on your car is what I wrote above. The registry doesn't have the chassis build dates, etc. on the CSX4xxx cars. It does have some similar information on the other LA cars. I have never seen a breakdown on what exactly is different. I remember hearing that at least one reason for their own series was that HST could complete the cars and sell them as a tunkey to Latin America. The cars must be sold as component cars in the United States or will be subject to EPA standards, etc... Every LA car I have heard of has a Roush engine installed. I will have to read up on these cars in the registry tonight.

David

The only information in the registry on your car is what I wrote above. The registry doesn't have the chassis build dates, etc. on the CSX4xxx cars. It does have some similar information on the other LA cars. I have never seen a breakdown on what exactly is different. I remember hearing that at least one reason for their own series was that HST could complete the cars and sell them as a tunkey to Latin America. The cars must be sold as component cars in the United States or will be subject to EPA standards, etc... Every LA car I have heard of has a Roush engine installed. I will have to read up on these cars in the registry tonight.

David

Ah, now I got it. This is probably the link I was missing. HST could build a complete car whereas if it was delivered here first it had to go to someone else first. So it must have been delivered to the person in Mexico and then came back.

I hope that doesn't mess up something. It came to BJ from Classic Showcase in Oceanside (and shows on their web site).

There oughta be a law. When a Shelby Cobra shows up the weather should just change to be spring and you should be allowed at least one hour of good driving time. As it was, it was 8degF when they unloaded. I'm still cold from shoveling snow off the driveway, scraping the packed snow and ice off the concrete before trying to pull the car up. The truck driver wouldn't do it. He gave me the keys and said "be careful". No problems going up.

This actually has what look to be street radials (not M+S, but at least decent rain tires). It got up the driveway just fine.

DSC_2599.jpg

DSC_2600.jpg

DSC_2601.jpg

DSC_2602.jpg

DSC_2603.jpg

DSC_2604.jpg

DSC_2605.jpg

DSC_2606.jpg

DSC_2607.jpg

DSC_2608.jpg

(remainder of photos in next post)

The sound of the exhaust (straight side pipes, maybe some small baffles) was totally awesome. I lit it up in the garage to show my friend what it sounded like and my wife came down and said she thought the house was collapsing.

I'm jazzed, but the weather totally sucks.

I'd not been allowed to run it when I was at the auction so today was the first time I got to drive it. I can't actually see the pedals when I'm sitting. In fact, you don't get in it, you put it on. Stand on the seat and slide down. All I can sense is that the clutch and brake are only about 1/2" apart and very small. The accel pedal is also very close. I may look into getting a removable steering wheel as even with the seat as far back as it will go it is still tight fit. It would be easier if the wheel could come off.

We're looking towards another week or two before I'll be able to take it out for a spin. Meanwhile I can drool.

When Mr. Cosby comes back to Denver I'll ask him if he wants to drive it.

Oh, it backfired twice in the garage as I was doing the demos. Gotta move the brooms away...

• 3 weeks later...

This is kind of funny.

I got a supercharger put on my SGT. It just needed it.

My wife asked me the other night, in all seriousness, "Are you going to get a supercharger on the Cobra"? I told her that unlike Cosby I intended to keep ours for a while :)

A Paxton would be cool but I do like the looks of the intakes of the Roush Fuel Injection.

End of funny story for today :)

This is kind of funny.

I got a supercharger put on my SGT. It just needed it.

My wife asked me the other night, in all seriousness, "Are you going to get a supercharger on the Cobra"? I told her that unlike Cosby I intended to keep ours for a while :)

A Paxton would be cool but I do like the looks of the intakes of the Roush Fuel Injection.

End of funny story for today :)

Tony check out SHM, they put the 5.4 with a KB in a CSX.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/04/sema-20...red-king-cobra/

One of the guys on ClubCobra that knows the car (he's from Mexico City) pointed me to this video:

My car makes several appearances but at 2:45 is the best - these must be the three friends that bought cars all at the same time. Note the size of the 289 compared to the 427s...

One of the guys on ClubCobra that knows the car (he's from Mexico City) pointed me to this video:

My car makes several appearances but at 2:45 is the best - these must be the three friends that bought cars all at the same time. Note the size of the 289 compared to the 427s...

nice :happy feet:

Yesterday I took mine in to get the oil and coolant changed. The oil was skanky - dark and burnt and the coolant story I've already related here so I took it down to my friend's shop (Dr. Scott who also did my truck oil and trans fluid).

Pictures of the underbelly:

DSC_2848.jpg

DSC_2849.jpg

DSC_2850.jpg

DSC_2851.jpg

DSC_2852.jpg

DSC_2853.jpg

DSC_2854.jpg

DSC_2855.jpg

DSC_2856.jpg

DSC_2857.jpg

Also, after some checking we're pretty convinced this car really did have 650 miles. The oil was dirty - but that is likely due to (1) the new engine that has not been broken in properly and (2) the frequent granny start stop cycles for the past year or so.

All of the other fluids - rear end, trans, brake fluid, everything looked new.

• 2 weeks later...

More about what I found tonight but does anyone know of someone with a chassis dyno in the Boulder area (or Loveland/Ft Collins), or Denver if nothing closer.

Throttle bodies are all jacked up and adjustments ran into a roadblock of "it says this shouldn't be but doesn't say what to do if it is", plus the next adjustment after this would require the electronic fuel injection controller link and WOT adjustments that I'm sure should be done on a dyno and not on the driveway.

It runs better though.

More about what I found tonight but does anyone know of someone with a chassis dyno in the Boulder area (or Loveland/Ft Collins), or Denver if nothing closer.

Throttle bodies are all jacked up and adjustments ran into a roadblock of "it says this shouldn't be but doesn't say what to do if it is", plus the next adjustment after this would require the electronic fuel injection controller link and WOT adjustments that I'm sure should be done on a dyno and not on the driveway.

It runs better though.

Would it be better to go with a single quad or even dual quads? This might be just the start of problems with the setup you have right now. The intake manifolds are cheap and so are the carbs. Just a thought.

Would it be better to go with a single quad or even dual quads? This might be just the start of problems with the setup you have right now. The intake manifolds are cheap and so are the carbs. Just a thought.

It's fuel injected (which was a requirement). I'm not going to trade that for the problems of carbs at this altitude.

• 1 month later...

I've been keeping a couple of other sites updated on this with details so here I'll just give the summer. The engine on the Cobra never really ran right. It is a Roush 427IR (really a 351 Windsor Dart block bored/stroked to 427 [i also believe it has a 1" higher deck to make that easeir without thinning the cyl. walls too much).

After much gnashing of teeth I finally got in touch with "the right guy" at Roush. He sent instructions to balance the throttle bodies (it's a Weber-look but is injected so every indvidual needs to be balanced separately). It's not a complicated process - about 2-3 hours of work after the first time. I got it done and it still ran poorly.

He connected me to the Electronic Fuel Injection supplier (Accel-DFI) who sold me their USB-keyed tuner cable. I have a totally open engine. Roush sent me their original engine tune program which I reloaded. I got some basic engine running info and sent screenshots to Roush. He pointed out that I hadn't done the Throttle Position Sensor calibration [indeed, I hadn't] and when I did it the next morning a surprise: The idle throttle read the maximum and the wide open throttle read the minimum.

Bingo, major source of the entire problem found. I swapped the pins in the cable to the TPS input to the DFI controller I also reloaded the tune to get rid of any adaptives, reran the TPS cal and BINGO! It ran alot better again.

Then it failed emissions.

I did the balancing again, and it still failed.

Last night I did the balance a third time and this time the Hydrocarbons were 1/2 the previous test. BINGO!

The expert at the state (who you have to bring your car to personally to get an emissions waiver) told me that this is about the best I will do (roughly 850PPM). Anything else will be in the 5-10% improvements. He explaind the wide/overlapping cam is the root and that he runs into this with high output engines all the time. Many who run this engine in cars that actually have to pass use dual catalytic converters.

Anyway, today it passed so on to DMV.

Need a better filled out VIN verificaiton form (the deputy left some things out and didn't get the model/body type correct (just not knowing what needs to be there).

Then I have to get it weighed.

Their book has no concept of a continuation series and they wanted to charge me base value of a real 1965 Cobra 427 at $560,000!!! I explained it - and she said, oh it's a kit car (I didn't want to argue because she made the financial case I wanted).

To the weigh station after the snow melts and I'll have my SPRSNAK plate attached. I actually got to touch it at DMV. Next week hopefully.

I also had to pay almost $9000 in sales tax today to get another 60 day temp plate so I can get it weighed (the AZ temp expires tomorrow).

ON THE ROAD. Now if we could only get some 80* days.

I've been keeping a couple of other sites updated on this with details so here I'll just give the summer. The engine on the Cobra never really ran right. It is a Roush 427IR (really a 351 Windsor Dart block bored/stroked to 427 [i also believe it has a 1" higher deck to make that easeir without thinning the cyl. walls too much).

After much gnashing of teeth I finally got in touch with "the right guy" at Roush. He sent instructions to balance the throttle bodies (it's a Weber-look but is injected so every indvidual needs to be balanced separately). It's not a complicated process - about 2-3 hours of work after the first time. I got it done and it still ran poorly.

He connected me to the Electronic Fuel Injection supplier (Accel-DFI) who sold me their USB-keyed tuner cable. I have a totally open engine. Roush sent me their original engine tune program which I reloaded. I got some basic engine running info and sent screenshots to Roush. He pointed out that I hadn't done the Throttle Position Sensor calibration [indeed, I hadn't] and when I did it the next morning a surprise: The idle throttle read the maximum and the wide open throttle read the minimum.

Bingo, major source of the entire problem found. I swapped the pins in the cable to the TPS input to the DFI controller I also reloaded the tune to get rid of any adaptives, reran the TPS cal and BINGO! It ran alot better again.

Then it failed emissions.

I did the balancing again, and it still failed.

Last night I did the balance a third time and this time the Hydrocarbons were 1/2 the previous test. BINGO!

The expert at the state (who you have to bring your car to personally to get an emissions waiver) told me that this is about the best I will do (roughly 850PPM). Anything else will be in the 5-10% improvements. He explaind the wide/overlapping cam is the root and that he runs into this with high output engines all the time. Many who run this engine in cars that actually have to pass use dual catalytic converters.

Anyway, today it passed so on to DMV.

Need a better filled out VIN verificaiton form (the deputy left some things out and didn't get the model/body type correct (just not knowing what needs to be there).

Then I have to get it weighed.

Their book has no concept of a continuation series and they wanted to charge me base value of a real 1965 Cobra 427 at $560,000!!! I explained it - and she said, oh it's a kit car (I didn't want to argue because she made the financial case I wanted).

To the weigh station after the snow melts and I'll have my SPRSNAK plate attached. I actually got to touch it at DMV. Next week hopefully.

I also had to pay almost $9000 in sales tax today to get another 60 day temp plate so I can get it weighed (the AZ temp expires tomorrow).

ON THE ROAD. Now if we could only get some 80* days.

Damn, what a pain. Nice that you got it fixed though. How does she run now? Man, it sure is dead here in the CSX section. My car is at SAI now and should be released to the dealer next week. So, I am around three to four weeks out. Hopefully, we can get some interest around here for these cars.

Damn, what a pain. Nice that you got it fixed though. How does she run now? Man, it sure is dead here in the CSX section. My car is at SAI now and should be released to the dealer next week. So, I am around three to four weeks out. Hopefully, we can get some interest around here for these cars.

I'm glad it's running now. I only got it going Wednesday night, and I drove it in the misty rain to get it emission tested Thursday morning because it was supposed to snow that afternoon all the way through to Saturday (today). I was hoping it would pass and that I'd be able to get the plate. It's been raining since (not snowing, at least here, but it is in Denver) and continues to rain today. It is supposed to be in the 70's on Tuesday/Wed so I'll be able to have it out again.

It's hard to get much Cobra activity here. There are some other sites though.

hope to have mine back up and running by the first of May

Mine is on the air (legally) today:

I got it!

I shagged:

1. The corrected VIN verification form (required for all registrations originating out of state - the VIN on the title has to be verified. When I showed the sheriff's deputy the VIN plate she was amazed. But they filled out the form wrong. The (county equivalent of) the DMV even marked the corrected version).

2. I had to get it weighed - my CSX4005LA(427) is 2630lb.

3. They needed a MSRP. An email from SAI was good enough.

Here is the plate:

046ec0b1.jpg

I went to hook it up to the rear but the bolts were too short to attach it now that I have the real plate instead of the dealer's sticker. My local hardware store will fix that in the morning but I'm all giddy !

It was all worth it. It is titled as a 1965 Shelby Cobra.

I had to pass emissions once, but never again for as long as I own the car.

The sales tax hurt (only because a significant part goes to the Peoples Republic of Boulder County), but the license plate and tags were a bout $240 are good for 5 years.

Next is little projects.

1. The speedo is off. I finally tracked down the details. I need a 19 tooth gear.

2. The drivers side Simpson harnesses were never there, but I've decided after driving on the freeway that they might be a good idea. I need the straps from the roll bar hooks to the belt.

3. If we drive this much, and after seeing a Superformance flip - I'm thinking that a passenger roll bar would be a good idea, but it would involve some major reconstruction. This was built for someone who wanted to race it so it has 2x6V batteries mounted behind the passenger seat - balances weight - but that is where the second roll bar mount would be. I always drive carefully but seeing that made me a little nervous.

Archived