TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CSX4005LA

twobjshelbys

It's mine (as soon as I do the wire funds transfer on Tuesday - Monday is a holiday). It was Lot #1273 at Barrett Jackson Saturday afternoon. I'd bid on a really sweet 65 K-code convertible, couple of Shelby GT500s (that went for more than I wanted to spend), and got outclassed on a GT350 that went for (finally at this auction) more than I think it should have.

It's green with yellow stripes and everyone was asking if I'm a Packers fan. No I'm not.

Contrary to what the auction description says, it's a carbon fiber body. Engine is a 427 Roush/Shelby motor, it doesn't say what tranny and I'm not able to get under it but it is a 5-speed (guess is Tremec). I'm going over to the Roush guys booth tomorrow to see if they know the car.

I'm told the LA means "Latin America". What I don't know is if this is #5 of the CSX4000 series or if it is #5 of the CSXnnnnLA series. [Edit - see below. It means it was built by HST.]

I was also told that the Green/Yellow color is the Brazilian colors... [Edit: Maybe but not relevant given above.]

It has something like 650 miles and looks like it was indoors forever.

I think the only thing wrong is it looks like it has some kind of all-season radials. Not sure where the tires came from.

I'm jazzed. Now what ? Now I'm wishing I'd bid on the Bob Bondurant Driving School at the Shelby American Collection gathering.

Congratulations!

Do you have any pictures? I would love to see that color combination.

Some pictures of the seat position should help answer that question as well.

I'll try to get some more detailed photos of the passenger compartment this morning. I probably won't get pictures up until mid week. The car will be shipped from Scottsdale so it'll probably be a week or so.

Now I'll be tempted to drive it around the block in the winter.

congrats, i bought the other csx4000 series that was listed at barrett jackson. it was 1247.2 i believe and was listed in the barrett jackson book, but i was able to buy it before the auction and it was delivered yesterday.

get ready for the ride of your life. my gt 500 and gth car cant compare!!

congrats, i bought the other csx4000 series that was listed at barrett jackson. it was 1247.2 i believe and was listed in the barrett jackson book, but i was able to buy it before the auction and it was delivered yesterday.

get ready for the ride of your life. my gt 500 and gth car cant compare!!

1237.2 is the Studebaker. 1246.2 (I just looked in the catalog) was Steve Becker's red car. That one did go across the block. I bemoaned the fact that I didn't go further with that one but I'm a little happier with the engine in mine. It will be much better at the altitude. I met someone last summer that a carbeurated 427 and they could never get it to run right so he took it in and had it converted to fuel injection.

1237.2 is the Studebaker. 1246.2 (I just looked in the catalog) was Steve Becker's red car. That one did go across the block. I bemoaned the fact that I didn't go further with that one but I'm a little happier with the engine in mine. It will be much better at the altitude. I met someone last summer that a carbeurated 427 and they could never get it to run right so he took it in and had it converted to fuel injection.

i just realized that the pics used at barrett jackson were the EXACT same pics used to advertise my car when it was posted for sale. mine is 4940 and is the cover picture for www.shelbydistributionusa.com.. hmm.. i wonder who's car is actually in the picture?

i just realized that the pics used at barrett jackson were the EXACT same pics used to advertise my car when it was posted for sale. mine is 4940 and is the cover picture for www.shelbydistributionusa.com.. hmm.. i wonder who's car is actually in the picture?

nice Cobra

http://www.shelbydistribution.com/

lot 1246.2

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application...mp;d=01/18/2009

I'll try to get some more detailed photos of the passenger compartment this morning. I probably won't get pictures up until mid week. The car will be shipped from Scottsdale so it'll probably be a week or so.

Now I'll be tempted to drive it around the block in the winter.

from BJ's web site

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application...mp;d=01/18/2009

In general it "fits". The steering wheel is smaller than the one I sat in last summer and doesn't rub on my lap when I sit in it. The seat is too far forward and (of course) there is no adjustment, but I'm guessing it can be set back. Yes?

Yes

Both seats should be on sliders with an adjustment lever in the ususal position on the front of the seat. My passenger seat was a little sticky at first but, it works well now.

Oh and also, why you are waiting, get some clear spats for the rear fenders, before you rock up the nice paint on your first ride. I got mine from Finishline and they work well.

Congrats on the car, it looks stunning. I was in touch with Mr. Becker all day on Saturday as he is the guy that is building my car; nice, honest guy. I was surprised the red 4000 didn't go for a little more but prices seemed down across the board...except for the guy who paid $350k for #1 Camero. We need lots of pics and details on the car.

Congrats on the car, it looks stunning. I was in touch with Mr. Becker all day on Saturday as he is the guy that is building my car; nice, honest guy. I was surprised the red 4000 didn't go for a little more but prices seemed down across the board...except for the guy who paid $350k for #1 Camero. We need lots of pics and details on the car.

Steve Becker is an awesome Mustang and Cobra guy. He is the one that owns the "9000 mile GT500" that was at the Gunbarrell (CO) Shelby American Collection museum for a while and is now in prominent display at the Shelby Museum at SAI in Vegas.

While we were at the lineup waiting for my BJ to go inside I was talking with Jenni and Bill DenBeste from DenBeste Motor Sports (the Windsor, CA Cobra Dealer) came by and I asked him a little about the car. He said the LA means the car was built by HST. It's one of the few carbon fiber bodies - apparently people are leaning towards the fiberglass or aluminum versions.

I still don't understand how such a low numbered car stayed underground for so long. This site here (an excerpt from the Cobra book, which I will probably now have to buy):

http://books.google.com/books?id=Yc5SWgRli...esult#PPA257,M1

lists it as being built in 1995. The motor serial number (a Roush/Shelby) has a very low serial number (427329) as well. The guy from Roush was going to look up info when he gets back from Pamona.

Yes

Both seats should be on sliders with an adjustment lever in the ususal position on the front of the seat. My passenger seat was a little sticky at first but, it works well now.

Oh and also, why you are waiting, get some clear spats for the rear fenders, before you rock up the nice paint on your first ride. I got mine from Finishline and they work well.

I did find the release for the slider and was able to move the seat quite a ways back. I think it'll fit!

Are all of the batteries behind the passenger seat? I guess I'd never paid attention to all those little details before.

I loved the sound of it. I was told, several times, as in "repeat after me" mode, that the shipper (in this case Intercity) is NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COOLANT and if the engine block freezes it's my problem. So, knowing the low miles and that this probably sat indoors for its entire life (it is a southern CA car) that it was probably pretty weak. I got a tester and the radiator is low, the filler is in-line in the hose and the tester tube wouldn't reach. I got a screwdriver and took off the hose and barely got enough to show that it was pretty much water. So then I went to the local Autozone, got a siphon tube and put about 1.25 gallons of antifreeze in the system. I pretty much drained the radiator, so I should have a pretty good mix. Later about 6:00 last night as the (1) auction was ending and (2) I'm starting to get antsy to go to the airport the "car movers" were able to start it up and bring outside so we could warm it up to get the thermo open and get another sample. Well, it warmed up, I opened up the cap and it sprayed everywhere (under a rag of course). I took off the hose again, but the level was still too low to get a sample, but it was pretty rich so I'm guessing/hoping that it's OK. I'm pretty sure I at least got a 50-50 mix.

Anyway, the sound of the engine running was awesome. GT500KR guys got nothing on this !!! :)

While we had it out two of the BJ guys that move cars and were their "Cobra experts" came over and looked at it. They said it was a fine example. One guy explained that the original Ford sideoiler was all about torque, whereas the 289 cars were about high RPM speed. He said the engine in mine (the Shelby/Roush) is a Windsor and will be somewhere in between which is probably a good thing.

No estimate on how long it takes to get here. I have to wire the funds to BJ tomorrow since today is a holiday and then it will get scheduled on the truck.

I'm still amazed that I pulled this off.. This car is so awesome and if I'd gotten any of the other Mustangs I'd have not even tried, except that I think the GT350 was perhaps one of the nicest ones I'd ever seen and if I could have had that for this price I would have jumped, but I got the car I've wanted since I was 16.

One of the guys was commenting on the configuration. He said the little lights that illuminate the number ovals were made in Italy and are really hard to get. Hope I don't blow one out.

He also said the gauge configuration is different from the originals. He said the speedo and tach would have been in front of the steering wheel, with the small gauges arranged in a 3-3-2 config where the other small gauges and tach are now. Maybe that was for the street versions and this is the racing config? This config makes sense - you want tach and oil pressure but don't care much about speed when going around a track.

Also, this thing came with absolutely no documentation or anything. The guy that was giving me all the hints told me that one of the switches is for the fuel pump but nothing about what the others were. Anyone got a guide book?

Man are you excited or what!!!

I know exactly what you are going through! taste-wait-taste-wait-wait-taste....

When I finally got 4990 home you could not get me out of it!

I have owned a 66 GT-350 for 25 years and the Cobra is a whole different animal.

I am glad you met Bill and Laurie DenBeste. They sold me my car and they are terrific people! Bill is the kind of guy you can really trust. I made a deal on a handshake, great guy.

Bill has an amazing collection of mostly Mustangs and Fords. If you guys are ever in NorCal you should call and visit.

One of the guys was commenting on the configuration. He said the little lights that illuminate the number ovals were made in Italy and are really hard to get. Hope I don't blow one out.

He also said the gauge configuration is different from the originals. He said the speedo and tach would have been in front of the steering wheel, with the small gauges arranged in a 3-3-2 config where the other small gauges and tach are now. Maybe that was for the street versions and this is the racing config? This config makes sense - you want tach and oil pressure but don't care much about speed when going around a track.

Also, this thing came with absolutely no documentation or anything. The guy that was giving me all the hints told me that one of the switches is for the fuel pump but nothing about what the others were. Anyone got a guide book?

my gauge configuration matches yours. on my CSX, the upper left toggle is the fuel pump, lower left is the lights, upper right is the differential pump. not sure what your far upper right switch is for? hope it helps

my gauge configuration matches yours. on my CSX, the upper left toggle is the fuel pump, lower left is the lights, upper right is the differential pump. not sure what your far upper right switch is for? hope it helps

on my csx, there is a switch for the axillary fan, the lights, the fuel pump, and a switch that i am not sure what it goes to. i turn it on and cant hear anything electric working on the car but am sure that it has got to go to something. any ideas?

what exactly is the differential pump?

thanks

john

According to my information the CSXxxxxLA cars are made for Latin America. My car was made by HST and it does not have the LA designation. The SAAC Registry had information on CSX4005 and CSX4005LA. The information on CSX4005LA is:

CSX4005LA "Latin American" model, exported to Mexico. Carbon Fiber body. Painted green/yellow LeMans stripes; heater/defroster, wiper washers, lighter. Engine is a Roush 427 IR. Purchased by Enrieue Vina Gil (Mexico City, MEX).

David

EDIT:

Congrats on the car. That is a great color combination.

According to my information the CSXxxxxLA cars are made for Latin America. My car was made by HST and it does not have the LA designation. The SAAC Registry had information on CSX4005 and CSX4005LA. The information on CSX4005LA is:

CSX4005LA "Latin American" model, exported to Mexico. Carbon Fiber body. Painted green/yellow LeMans stripes; heater/defroster, wiper washers, lighter. Engine is a Roush 427 IR. Purchased by Enrieue Vina Gil (Mexico City, MEX).

David

EDIT:

Congrats on the car. That is a great color combination.

That is consistent with part of the story I got that the LA cars were for export. The engine is what is in it but it seems newer than a 95 car. Do you know when the CSX4005 and CSX4005LA cars were made? Info I was able to find online was CSX4005 was made in 95 but 4005LA seems to have too new an engine to be a 95 car. If the LA series have different CSX numbers then that could explain it and would confirm my thought that the LAs started with their own sequence independent of and overlapping with the rest. How many LA cars are there????

Your base description is correct though - the color is exactly right, and it is a carbon fiber body. I didn't see a heater but it does have defroster deflectors (looks like someone cut/bent aluminum). The engine is a Shelby/Roush 427, but it looks new yet the serial number dates it back 7 or 8 years (according to the Roush guy, he's going to check for sure).

Bottom line is I'm sort of confused about just how original it is. Until I saw this I was thinking it was 4005 with a new motor and the odometer reset, but now it seems it may be a separate and distinct car of its own.

I've contacted the selling dealer in California for "the rest of the story".

One of the guys that was helping me at BJ said he new the seller and the story and was going to connect us (although I found them by my paperwork) and knew the car due to its colors. He said it was owned by an elderly gentleman that was outclassed by the car in the end and had it for a while before giving it up.

I do know that the two CSX numbers are not related to each other. The LA series is treated as a series by itself. If it were made by HST (which I believe it was), then it is probably no more than 3 or 4 years old. I believe that HST has only been making the Cobras for Shelby since 2004 or 2005. HST was making a BRG/Yellow car when my car was being made. I saw a number of pictures of it. That was in late 2007. I believe your car was made before then. Around that time CSX4011LA was for sale on Ebay. It was at a dealer in San Antonio, TX and I believe it was more or less new.

Hi, I looked up your Cobra in the new SAAC Cobra Registry (a must have for any Cobra owner) and your car is listed as a previous post stated. They are correct the CSX 4xxxLA cars are a distinct line for export to latin America, and have their own seperate serial numbers by Shelby, according to the registry there were six cars with the LA suffix and these cars were built much more recently. In fact the carbon fiber body option that your car has was first offered within the last few years if memory serves me. So indeed there is a CSX4005 built early in Cobra 4000 production in the late 90s and also CSX4005LA built much more recently, both are real Cobras and in the registry. I know its very confusing but rest assured that your new car is authentic and I hope that you enjoy this amazing car! Good luck.

Hi, I looked up your Cobra in the new SAAC Cobra Registry (a must have for any Cobra owner) and your car is listed as a previous post stated. They are correct the CSX 4xxxLA cars are a distinct line for export to latin America, and have their own seperate serial numbers by Shelby, according to the registry there were six cars with the LA suffix and these cars were built much more recently. In fact the carbon fiber body option that your car has was first offered within the last few years if memory serves me. So indeed there is a CSX4005 built early in Cobra 4000 production in the late 90s and also CSX4005LA built much more recently, both are real Cobras and in the registry. I know its very confusing but rest assured that your new car is authentic and I hope that you enjoy this amazing car! Good luck.

Does the registry have any info on chassis build date, power train installer and date, and customer delivery dates?

Also any info on the other CSX4xxxLA vehicles dates would be cool, locations etc. would be cool too.

What is the logic behind the LA series? There must be some difference between them - what is it?

The Roush guy said the routing and dressing of the electricals wasn't "authentic". They go along side the passenger side outside the air intakes. He said they should have been routed down the center between them.

I was hoping it was really the original 4005 car with a new motor but I too didn't think the carbon fiber went back that far. (That would have been way too cool and I would have had a real gem, not that this one isn't...)

Archived