TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time For A Change

Time For A Change

Hey there,

Short history first – the vast majority of my adult life was spent in Information Technology (IT). I got into IT in January of 1980 working for a small company called Smith International (a division of theirs called Servco). That was the beginning of what turned out to be a 23 year career – which ended in December 2003 with being laid off from WellPoint Health Networks (the then parent company of Blue Cross) where I ran one of the data centers for 10 years. After being laid off from WP, I was never able to find a position back in IT. I kept on hearing that I was WAY over qualified for the position. Having a need to provide for my wife and children, I tried my hand at Real Estate – got my California RE License and went to work for a large So Cal broker – probably at the worst time possible (2004). Needing SOME income, I ended up working for a local Ford dealership (mainly because I love cars, and the provided a guaranteed income for a short period of time). I worked there for almost exactly one year – in sales, parts and lastly as a Service Advisor. While working at the Ford dealership, I used to take dealership cars (Ford GT, Shelby’s, modified Mustang’s, etc) to local car shows. Its there that I met the owner of Stillen – where I ultimately ended up.

Well, I have been with Stillen for about 15 months now. I guess MAYBE I came into the automotive high performance industry at the wrong time. While I had a couple of reasonable months, all in all I was not able to provide for my family like I should be. About 6 or so months ago I realized that if I was ever going to have the income I needed to, I would need to move out on my own. I began taking classes online – studying until late at night and on the weekends. Geez, I thought all that was over when I got my degree in Business Management – boy was I wrong :) About a month ago, I took all of my tests to get my Property & Casualty, Life and Health Insurance licenses – and passed them all on the first shot (AMAZING).

Starting on Monday – Jan 26th – I will be running my own business – a Farmers Insurance Agency. I will be selling Home, Auto, Life, Business and Workers Comp insurance – as well as some line of Health insurance. Hopefully by the middle of the year, I will also be ready to test for my Series 6 and Series 63 Securities licenses.

Wish me luck – and if you know of ANYONE in the Southern California area that I can help with insurance – no matter what it may be for, send them my way. :)

Page

Page, good luck on your new business, I know you will do just fine.

You will be getting my policies and my referrals in the near future.

Tom

Hey Tom,

You are on my list :) Will be calling you REAL soon to gather some final info so I can pull your quotes together for you.

Page

Page, that is GREAT News, congrats and I do wish you the very best in your new Business.

NOW.............. You said that you will be dealing in Business Insurance....................Cool......................be looking for my PM.

David.

Page, wish you the best of luck in your new business. Keep in touch.

Paul

Not going anywhere - I will use my personal username (RStangsOC) more frequently now. Will have to check things out at least once a day :)

If all goes well, I MAY actually be able to afford a GT500 someday :)

Page,

You are what the American spirit and dream are all about. Never accept adversity, keep bettering yourself, do what you have to do instead of winning and crying about being a victom. I take my hat off to you and wish you the very best of luck. With your attitude, I'm confident you will succeed. Ray Kroc, the founder of McDonald's, was broke selling milk shake machines and playing the piano in a bar part time when he was 55 years old just to make ends meet. He had been broke three other times. As they say, It's you attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude. Soar High.

Page,

You are what the American spirit and dream are all about. Never accept adversity, keep bettering yourself, do what you have to do instead of winning and crying about being a victom. I take my hat off to you and wish you the very best of luck. With your attitude, I'm confident you will succeed. Ray Kroc, the founder of McDonald's, was broke selling milk shake machines and playing the piano in a bar part time when he was 55 years old just to make ends meet. He had been broke three other times. As they say, It's you attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude. Soar High.

HUGE thank you for that. Makes me feel at least a little better about my decision :):) FIRST time in my life I have ever been truly broke - not sure where my next house payment will come from - and am going to take care of that myself. I figure working for someone else thats not an option :) THIS way if something isnt going right with my business, I only have one person to look at - ME :)

Thanks again - that was TRULY appreciated.

Page

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

Well, I am no longer with Stillen - they kinda asked me to leave on Thursday afternoon.

Anyway, Kyle Millen will be able to take care of you for sure. I am sure if Kyle doesn’t use the Stillen user name, he will create another one here for himself. Kyle is a good guy - very knowledgeable and understands the high performance market FAR better than I ever did. Stillen is a good company - with a LONG track record of providing high performance aftermarket parts to end users and shops. Rest assured that they (unlike many other companies today) aren’t going anywhere. You don’t stay in business for as long as they have without doing things right.

Best of luck you to Kyle, and to Stillen. Hopefully I will be as successful in my new venture as Stillen has been over the last 23+ years.

As always, I will still be posting here. Gotta get my Team Shelby fix once in a while. Who knows, maybe I will actually be able to own one sometime :)

Take Care

Page

Archived