TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Does the Black Box mean the end of Mods for the GT500?

EXPcustom

This is what I want to know.

With a black box that is now in the car everything is recorded and date stamped. :banghead:

If you hit 155mph in your car one time at the track the dealership will know about it.

Do a tune and bring it back to stock the dealer will know.

Some of this is speculation on my part but this is what a Black Box does.

Anyone else concerned? Think there will ever be a work around?

I am worried about my warranty getting voided since I do tend to cruise 80mph on the freeway. Could this be considered abuse?

I know most Ford vehicles have a EDR. It just recordes the data if the airbags are deployed and thats it.

This new "Black Box" they are talking about sounds like a whole new thing. I know rental cars have been using a similar setup where they can add extra charges to the rental clients if they speed excessively.

Next question is it GPS based?

I have a 2008 Mustang. If you check the owners manual there is a section about the computer. It says that law enforcement may request the data from the computer for accident investigations. I don’t have the manual handy now, but if you check it may tell what data is collected.

Unless the rules have changed, the data was to be fed into a buffer. Should a serious accident occur then the data could be retrieved to evaluate conditions just before the accident.

Your Ford technician can not just access the data in the buffer and it does no have much memory.

As to the original question. I do not feel the box would change habits at all.

Unless the rules have changed, the data was to be fed into a buffer. Should a serious accident occur then the data could be retrieved to evaluate conditions just before the accident.

Your Ford technician can not just access the data in the buffer and it does no have much memory.

As to the original question. I do not feel the box would change habits at all.

I agree, from what I have read Ford can not use it to VOID warranties. Just used to see what happens in wrecks

MM

I agree, from what I have read Ford can not use it to VOID warranties. Just used to see what happens in wrecks

MM

This may be good for the insurance companies and the owners of the cars because if they find that the accident was blatently the drivers fault they may not have to cover it and everyone else's insurance would stay lower since they aren't having to pay out on so many claims. Just a thought though I could be totally off base with that line of thinking too.

This may be good for the insurance companies and the owners of the cars because if they find that the accident was blatently the drivers fault they may not have to cover it and everyone else's insurance would stay lower since they aren't having to pay out on so many claims. Just a thought though I could be totally off base with that line of thinking too.

Imagine if a spouse or family member or friend wrecked the car and you thought you were covered. Then insurance wont cover it and you are screwed.

Well...It's funny that this subject came up. While I realize that it's a different brand, and their download and right to privacy policies may differ from FoMoCo's, a friend of mine that has a Challenger reciently brought his car into the dealer for service, and when he came in to claim his car, the service manager aparantly made some comments like (paraphrasing) "Well, we like to speed in this car don't we?" "Took it up to 155 did ya?" "Looks like maybe a little drag racing too; right?"

Big brother is alive and protecting the financial interests of the car companies...

As much as it frustrates me to live in the People's Republic of California, we are a right to privacy state here, and I now wonder if that right covers this type of situtation. I'm sure that eventually someone will sue someone over this issue under that law, and I'm curious to see how the courts will regard these devices.

This is what I want to know.

With a black box that is now in the car everything is recorded and date stamped. :banghead:

If you hit 155mph in your car one time at the track the dealership will know about it.

Do a tune and bring it back to stock the dealer will know.

Some of this is speculation on my part but this is what a Black Box does.

Anyone else concerned? Think there will ever be a work around?

I am worried about my warranty getting voided since I do tend to cruise 80mph on the freeway. Could this be considered abuse?

Funny story because the Nissan GTR's traction control, when turned off, it will be recorded in the black box of that car and it will nullify the warranty. Are you talking about the 2010 GT500?

Imagine if a spouse or family member or friend wrecked the car and you thought you were covered. Then insurance wont cover it and you are screwed.

This is what it is coming to and I'm just pointing it out. Tis the world we live in and we'll just have to get used to it I guess. I don't like it any more than the next person.

Well...It's funny that this subject came up. While I realize that it's a different brand, and their download and right to privacy policies may differ from FoMoCo's, a friend of mine that has a Challenger reciently brought his car into the dealer for service, and when he came in to claim his car, the service manager aparantly made some comments like (paraphrasing) "Well, we like to speed in this car don't we?" "Took it up to 155 did ya?" "Looks like maybe a little drag racing too; right?"

Big brother is alive and protecting the financial interests of the car companies...

As much as it frustrates me to live in the People's Republic of California, we are a right to privacy state here, and I now wonder if that right covers this type of situtation. I'm sure that eventually someone will sue someone over this issue under that law, and I'm curious to see how the courts will regard these devices.

It will be interesting to see how the courts eventually interpret this, because I don't think that the "right for privacy" ever included the right to privately break the law. The so-called "Right to Privacy" itself is not expressly provided for in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, and has been debated for years and years. Personally, I think that we as consumers and citizens will end up not much choice in this matter.

Funny story because the Nissan GTR's traction control, when turned off, it will be recorded in the black box of that car and it will nullify the warranty. Are you talking about the 2010 GT500?

Someone on SteelCitStangs posted this and it's a CLASSIC!!!!

:hysterical2:

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my biggest concern with this is with insurance. How would you feel to be denied a repair or a renewal because you were going 1 or 2 miles per hour over the speed limit. Plus the speedometers are not "certified" so they may be off by a couple of percent (or more).

"Well, Mr. Smith, You were doing 36 in a 35 when the other car pulled out infront of you, so we are giving you a speeding ticket and your insurance is invalid because you were breaking the law at the time of the accident so you are getting a ticket for no insurance also".

I know most Ford vehicles have a EDR. It just recordes the data if the airbags are deployed and thats it.

This new "Black Box" they are talking about sounds like a whole new thing. I know rental cars have been using a similar setup where they can add extra charges to the rental clients if they speed excessively.

Next question is it GPS based?

Patriot act being abused, just another way to spy on people. Fact

Patriot act being abused, just another way to spy on people. Fact

Fact - you are spewing some seriously weak liberal canned bull. Enlighten the sheeple with the basis of your analysis. Linking references that show a direct and causal relationship between the Patriot Act and the OEM installation of an EDR device will suffice.

Tob

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Chicago Auto show today. Talked to Tom from Ford about the black box. To sum up the conversation, he described the black box as "a tattle tell system". It will be used as part of warranty claim investigations.

You know in my humble opinion, anyone who thinks someone is going to buy a $50K car with 500+ HP and is going to drive 30 mph all the time or park it in the front yard and grow tulips out of the trunk is NUTZ! In 1963 I purchased a Impala SS 409 425HP. I had some mechanical problems carried it to the dealer and the owner sat me down in his office and said "son have you been hot rodding this car?"

What was the car built for????

It will be interesting to see how the courts eventually interpret this, because I don't think that the "right for privacy" ever included the right to privately break the law. The so-called "Right to Privacy" itself is not expressly provided for in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, and has been debated for years and years. Personally, I think that we as consumers and citizens will end up not much choice in this matter.

Amendment IV, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects"

I remember reading about a vette owner in 2000 that had a bad accident, but apparently said he was doing the limit, the other cars attourney pulled the box (vette owner unaware it even existed as it was the first or second year for the device) and he was nailed bigtime. aftermath was that several new vette owners decided to return their cars as they were not notified that boxes were on board at time of purchase, if memory serves they brought some litigation to GM to get their money back, not sure what the outcome was, but you box will not plead the 5th and it will be used against you in a court in addition to warranty concerns.

I think GM started putting them on their high end cars in the mid to late 90s, buick and caddies first: Update, found the article from 2000:

"Car giant General Motors is facing a lawsuit claiming that it has violated privacy laws by installing black box recorders in its vehicles to record information about speed, braking and seat belt use in the moments leading up to a crash, reports Bloomberg.

The suit claims that the world's largest car company failed to tell motorists about the existence of the recorders, saying the devices are aimed solely at helping to design safer cars and to help investigators in accident reconstruction. GM is alleged to have failed to inform motorists about the existence of the devices or what they do, amounting to an invasion of privacy

The lawsuit also alleges that GM also has used the data against at least one car owner to defend a product liability suit"

www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200408/msg00134.html

This is a good link to many of the court cases around the box, including CA legislation to prevent its use, seems it has been in the courtroom on hundreds of cases...

FP

Archived