TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Morrison's Mustang Documentary

I spoke to Total Performance this morning and will hopefully speak to the car's owner soon.

Sadly this car has been "Found" about 20 times so far. Each time we have gone to verify it, the suspect car was not Jim's. If all goes well we will get a chance to inspect the car at Total Performance and see. I won't discount it until I have had the chance to make a visual inspection and verify all the VIN locations.

I have long felt that when or if it turns up, it will have been in storage somewhere. There have been many rare cars that were in a storage facility for years with no one knowing their significance.

Do you have both the Ford and Shelby VIN's?

• 3 months later...

this car will never be found...it was scrapped....but, hey, everyone needs their white whale to chase through life...

Its not a question of if it is possible it is laying around somewhere, the question really is, Is it worth all this time invested to even find it?

I would be somewhat disappointed if I found out my car belonged to that burnout....I love his music, hate his poetry if you call it that...and his complete disregard and many challenges against stationary objects make the car probably unrepairable at some point by 1960's standards...

this car will never be found...it was scrapped....but, hey, everyone needs their white whale to chase through life...

Its not a question of if it is possible it is laying around somewhere, the question really is, Is it worth all this time invested to even find it?

I would be somewhat disappointed if I found out my car belonged to that burnout....I love his music, hate his poetry if you call it that...and his complete disregard and many challenges against stationary objects make the car probably unrepairable at some point by 1960's standards...

Only thing worse than Morrison's poetry is your analogy. :)

Hope it's found in storage somewhere with lyrics to his last unpublished song in an empty whiskey bottle under the seat.

To write Morrison off as a "Burnout" is pretty lazy. Jim made very clear decisions, picked a path and stuck to it. That's why the Doors were the first US band to play sports arenas as part of a regular tour. People left Doors concerts feeling as though they had witnessed something beyond the ordinary, something touching the divine. That wasn't because they were watching some hapless burnout drift along.

The Doors turned down very lucrative offers that required them to change their sound to something more "Mainstream". They waited until they found someone who understood their vision, and it is probably not a coincidence that the same man was the one who bought Jim his GT500.

It's always easy to throw insults from the sidelines, but unless you have a slate of gold albums, you really aren't in a position to cast stones.

But that's just my opinion.

L Christian Mixon

Producer

Morrison's Mustang - A Vision Quest to find "The Blue Lady"

myspace.com/morrisonsmustang

To write Morrison off as a "Burnout" is pretty lazy. Jim made very clear decisions, picked a path and stuck to it. That's why the Doors were the first US band to play sports arenas as part of a regular tour. People left Doors concerts feeling as though they had witnessed something beyond the ordinary, something touching the divine. That wasn't because they were watching some hapless burnout drift along.

The Doors turned down very lucrative offers that required them to change their sound to something more "Mainstream". They waited until they found someone who understood their vision, and it is probably not a coincidence that the same man was the one who bought Jim his GT500.

It's always easy to throw insults from the sidelines, but unless you have a slate of gold albums, you really aren't in a position to cast stones.

But that's just my opinion.

L Christian Mixon

Producer

Wow, you know, I was born the day he died, and grew up very interested in his life and really looked into his life. I know pretty much every nuance to classic rock, from Pink Floyd random facts, to the name of Led Zepplin's first pilot, to crazy details of Lynard Skynard's ridiculous reasons for their tragedy, and I gotta say, even though I know every lyric Morrison has published, and I think about him every July 3rd, calling him a burnout is not an insult as much as a calculated asessment of him. Did he not pass out during several concerts, crash many cars under heavy influence, and show up completely hammered at a family member's funeral? I dont know, maybe in your family and friends you would call that stable and normal, but I dont. I dont doubt it was calculated and intentional, when I go out and get drunk or whatever I do, I usually plan on doing it.

And hey, Im not casting stones, I never said squat about the Doors....but allow me to toss a couple pebbles:

1. Jim would have been far less notable without Robbie and Ray....they were the musical genious behind the Doors.

2. Yeah, the Doors turned down lucrative offers...but they sure didnt turn down a car commercial and several other sell out deals.

3. (and this is the most important) Jim had a Shelby and couldn't drive for :censored::hysterical:

But hey, My Pink Floyd may be your Yanni...music is a taste, and not one we all have to share....I listen to all my favs cuz I dig their music, not their spiritual beliefs or enlightenment....Im a musician, and know many....you would not hold them in such high esteem if you had to be around them all the time. Most are egomaniacs or self absorbed at the very least...

Hmm, I can't wait to see how these comments settle the anger from my previous comment.... :hysterical:

But hey, maybe your documentary will change my mind....Ive been reading your 2 year old search waiting for something....

Do you even have any interests in Shelbys? or are you just here for the free nuts and beer? :lurk:

And Lawdude....what Analogy? Morrison was 50 pounds overweight in '71...I was talking about him! :hysterical:

Wow, you know, I was born the day he died, and grew up very interested in his life and really looked into his life. I know pretty much every nuance to classic rock, from Pink Floyd random facts, to the name of Led Zepplin's first pilot, to crazy details of Lynard Skynard's ridiculous reasons for their tragedy, and I gotta say, even though I know every lyric Morrison has published, and I think about him every July 3rd, calling him a burnout is not an insult as much as a calculated asessment of him. Did he not pass out during several concerts, crash many cars under heavy influence, and show up completely hammered at a family member's funeral? I dont know, maybe in your family and friends you would call that stable and normal, but I dont. I dont doubt it was calculated and intentional, when I go out and get drunk or whatever I do, I usually plan on doing it.

And hey, Im not casting stones, I never said squat about the Doors....but allow me to toss a couple pebbles:

1. Jim would have been far less notable without Robbie and Ray....they were the musical genious behind the Doors.

2. Yeah, the Doors turned down lucrative offers...but they sure didnt turn down a car commercial and several other sell out deals.

3. (and this is the most important) Jim had a Shelby and couldn't drive for :censored::hysterical:

But hey, My Pink Floyd may be your Yanni...music is a taste, and not one we all have to share....I listen to all my favs cuz I dig their music, not their spiritual beliefs or enlightenment....Im a musician, and know many....you would not hold them in such high esteem if you had to be around them all the time. Most are egomaniacs or self absorbed at the very least...

Hmm, I can't wait to see how these comments settle the anger from my previous comment.... :hysterical:

But hey, maybe your documentary will change my mind....Ive been reading your 2 year old search waiting for something....

Do you even have any interests in Shelbys? or are you just here for the free nuts and beer? :lurk:

And Lawdude....what Analogy? Morrison was 50 pounds overweight in '71...I was talking about him! :hysterical:

I get a lot of "Hey man, he was just a doper who got lucky" comments, and I'm sorry if I grouped you unfairly.

To answer a few of the questions you put forth.

It's hard to take "Burnout" as anything but an insult when you use it in the sentence "I would be somewhat disappointed if I found out my car belonged to that burnout". If your car did, it would at least triple in value overnight.

Certainly the "Doors" were a "Perfect Storm" of sorts. They all had to come together at the right time for it to happen as it did. But to be fair, Robbie and Ray had little success before Jim and very little after.

The car commercial you refer to is the Buick "Light My Fire" campaign that ran in 1970. This was a the last straw that had Jim leave the Doors, not officially but the rest of the band knew he wasn't coming back. The deal was signed without his consent while he was in Paris with Pam (prior to his moving there permanently before he died).

After reading Friedrich Nietzsche, Blake ("the path of excess, leads to the palace of enlightenment"), and becoming obsessed with the Odeipus complex as an analogy for the death of the "Old Mythologies", he set a course that included what he called a "Long, Prolonged, Derangement of the Senses".

What he didn't account for, and what would have been clear to any physician now, was the presence of a rare metabolic condition that causes an irregular metabolism of alcohol. I have read and heard 100 account of "Jim drank a fifth of whiskey, was just fine, then 10 minutes later he was passed out pissing himself". The condition causes the individual to be able to consume a large amount of alcohol with no effect and then it dumps it all into the bloodstream at once.

As for me, I've been in the entertainment business since I was 9. A SAG actor for 14 years, and I shoot a lot of music videos. I know the musician mentality well. And while there are some world class A-Holes, there are some very passionate artists as well. I have bought and sold vintage automobile most of my life and for a while owned a vintage car dealership where we had the chance to sell quite a few historically significant cars. Shelbys are near and dear to my heart.

But the doc is not so much about just finding the car as it is showing why people, driven by passion, desire such cars. The late 1960s was a unique and turbulent time when a movement of change and the desire for something better spread around the world. I hope to give people a glimpse of this.

If it's not your thing, that cool, but I just found it a bit off-putting to hear some say "I would be somewhat disappointed if I found out my car belonged to that burnout" But I guess you are not alone. We sold a 1922 Stanley Steamer that belonged to one of the victims of the "St. Valentines Day Massacre", and the previous owner told no one because he thought it detracted from the purity of his beloved steam car. To each their own I suppose. (for the record, it sold for 5 times actual value because of the historical significance.

L Christian Mixon

Producer

I get a lot of "Hey man, he was just a doper who got lucky" comments, and I'm sorry if I grouped you unfairly.

To answer a few of the questions you put forth.

It's hard to take "Burnout" as anything but an insult when you use it in the sentence "I would be somewhat disappointed if I found out my car belonged to that burnout". If your car did, it would at least triple in value overnight.

Certainly the "Doors" were a "Perfect Storm" of sorts. They all had to come together at the right time for it to happen as it did. But to be fair, Robbie and Ray had little success before Jim and very little after.

The car commercial you refer to is the Buick "Light My Fire" campaign that ran in 1970. This was a the last straw that had Jim leave the Doors, not officially but the rest of the band knew he wasn't coming back. The deal was signed without his consent while he was in Paris with Pam (prior to his moving there permanently before he died).

After reading Friedrich Nietzsche, Blake ("the path of excess, leads to the palace of enlightenment"), and becoming obsessed with the Odeipus complex as an analogy for the death of the "Old Mythologies", he set a course that included what he called a "Long, Prolonged, Derangement of the Senses".

What he didn't account for, and what would have been clear to any physician now, was the presence of a rare metabolic condition that causes an irregular metabolism of alcohol. I have read and heard 100 account of "Jim drank a fifth of whiskey, was just fine, then 10 minutes later he was passed out pissing himself". The condition causes the individual to be able to consume a large amount of alcohol with no effect and then it dumps it all into the bloodstream at once.

As for me, I've been in the entertainment business since I was 9. A SAG actor for 14 years, and I shoot a lot of music videos. I know the musician mentality well. And while there are some world class A-Holes, there are some very passionate artists as well. I have bought and sold vintage automobile most of my life and for a while owned a vintage car dealership where we had the chance to sell quite a few historically significant cars. Shelbys are near and dear to my heart.

But the doc is not so much about just finding the car as it is showing why people, driven by passion, desire such cars. The late 1960s was a unique and turbulent time when a movement of change and the desire for something better spread around the world. I hope to give people a glimpse of this.

If it's not your thing, that cool, but I just found it a bit off-putting to hear some say "I would be somewhat disappointed if I found out my car belonged to that burnout" But I guess you are not alone. We sold a 1922 Stanley Steamer that belonged to one of the victims of the "St. Valentines Day Massacre", and the previous owner told no one because he thought it detracted from the purity of his beloved steam car. To each their own I suppose. (for the record, it sold for 5 times actual value because of the historical significance.

L Christian Mixon

Producer

Interesting thought on the value...I guess to SOMEONE, it would be more valuable....to me, I would prefer one not wrecked so much...but I can see your point....for sure.

You are right about Robby and Ray....really something how music can turn 4 good musicians into masterful, and dare I say sometimes magical entity. I think the greatest example of that is Led Zepplin.

I can understand you reading my comment as an insult....but you have to understand me first...I like burnouts....their more fun!

BTW- Im actually the same way with alcohol, so I know well what you talk about...Im a very good drunk...dont hardly change at all, till I hit a point...luckily my tolerance is pretty high and Im a big guy to boot...I usually get full long before I get drunk....

Which leads me to my segue to Lawdude... :hysterical:

:beerchug:

Anytime my man, anytime! :drool:

Interesting thought on the value...I guess to SOMEONE, it would be more valuable....to me, I would prefer one not wrecked so much...but I can see your point....for sure.

You are right about Robby and Ray....really something how music can turn 4 good musicians into masterful, and dare I say sometimes magical entity. I think the greatest example of that is Led Zepplin.

I can understand you reading my comment as an insult....but you have to understand me first...I like burnouts....their more fun!

BTW- Im actually the same way with alcohol, so I know well what you talk about...Im a very good drunk...dont hardly change at all, till I hit a point...luckily my tolerance is pretty high and Im a big guy to boot...I usually get full long before I get drunk....

Which leads me to my segue to Lawdude... :hysterical:

Anytime my man, anytime! :drool:

That's cool.

Some of the acts you mention point out how quickly the music scene changed during that period. It went from Elvis, to Beach Boys/Beatles to Doors / Stones to Zepplin / Pink Floyd very quickly.

BTW have you read John Densmore's book on "The Doors"? He said "It was like being on a Bus where you know the driver is insane, but it's the only Bus that's going where you want to go". Jim used to upset him so bad he broke out in welts on his legs from anxiety. Ray was the glue and Robbie was the best musician of the bunch. If Jim did pass out, Ray could take over vocals and finish the show.

To get back on track. I, for one still believe the car is out there and will surface in due time. There are hundreds and hundreds of Shelbys not acounted for yet, still buried in someone's garage. Weather they know what they have or not.

:stirpot:

To get back on track. I, for one still believe the car is out there and will surface in due time. There are hundreds and hundreds of Shelbys not acounted for yet, still buried in someone's garage. Weather they know what they have or not.

:stirpot:

Having been in the vintage car business for many years I'm getting to the point where little surprises me in terms of what people have that they do or don't know about.

I had one of my delivery men return from a run dropping off a 64 Galaxie 4spd car and he related that it was dropped off in a privacy fence lined field where there were at least 500 other 63-1/2 and 64 Galaxies. He said one whole row had 413 birds on the fenders.

I did consignment sales for many "collectors" who were actually people who came into money and started buying every car they had ever thought they wanted, and piling them in warehouses. Many of the cars were not at all what they thought they were buying. Some worth much more and MANY worth much less. (one buyer got a nasty surprise when I taught him the difference between a "Turbo Body" 911 and a Turbo 930 Porsche).

One of the kinks in this story are the Coursons. Pamela's parents. They were in sole possession of the "Morrison Estate" for quite a few years and they blamed him for the death of their daughter (a few years after Jim, but by drug overdose). Who knows what they may have destroyed.

I still think Jim's car will turn up someday.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something I didn't know but it's really cool and Jim Morrison related. It may not relate to the mustang but I've mentioned it. My health teacher said that he is the third cousin of Jim Morrison. I've asked him if he knew about him owning the Shelby and what happened to it. He's not really sure, but I still think it's really cool that he's the third cousin of Jim Morrison.

• 1 month later...

Where is the gas station morrison stopped at. i can only read part of a sign that ends in Walker/

Can anyone read the whole sign and maybe one in the background further back than the one that has "Walker"

The road trip pics appear to be in the high desert . Film doesnt shed any info on what Hwy/Rd hes on,unless I missed something.

Well this one shows a little bit of the desert footage. I don't recall seeing the gas station footage before.

Steve

===================================================

I thought I posted the following earlier,but I cant locate the post now ,so ill try again,

Does anyone have any idea where that gas station was or is? The signs at the station may tell,but i could only make out "Walker" above the pumps.

The rest of the area could be from Victorville to joshua tree as far as I know.

Anyone know where the road parts were taken?

While I believe the car was scrapped I also feel that most of the unique Shelby parts were probably removed before that happened. Makes you wonder if the steering wheel or rollbar are in someones Shelby right now and they have no idea of the history.

All the best with your film project. I like the idea.

Steve

==================

i say lots of scrapped and salvaged shelbys and i only looked around on occasion in the sacramento valley to the bay area.back from 74 to about 78. Prices started up as i recall near 78 or 80. That is in the rural areas of the sac valley.

The Super Snake had a unique single stripe, but the Lemans stripes on the GT-350s and GT-500s were still an option in '67, as they were on the '65 and '66 Shelbys. They were no longer available in the '68 model year, although I have seen '68s with them...thy really don't look too good on those IMHO.

IMHO I think the lemans stripes looked best when they were tapered from the rear widening an inch or so then returning to the starting width in the front.

The illusion was a vehicle "puffed up" looking like it was ready to explode,or pounce. i think it might look good or better on the new ones. someone ought to draw one up and post it and see what we think.

• 8 months later...

That's cool.

Some of the acts you mention point out how quickly the music scene changed during that period. It went from Elvis, to Beach Boys/Beatles to Doors / Stones to Zepplin / Pink Floyd very quickly.

BTW have you read John Densmore's book on "The Doors"? He said "It was like being on a Bus where you know the driver is insane, but it's the only Bus that's going where you want to go". Jim used to upset him so bad he broke out in welts on his legs from anxiety. Ray was the glue and Robbie was the best musician of the bunch. If Jim did pass out, Ray could take over vocals and finish the show.

I didnt know it when we were on this subject before, but I just found out two weeks ago when I was talking with a friend: Did anyone know that the drummer was married to Bill Neale's daughter? (for those of you who dont know, Bill Neale is one of Carroll's oldest and dearest friends, and the one who created the Terlingua bunny. I guess you could say that the Doors have quite the connection to Shelby in many different ways. :lurk:

• 4 months later...

===================================================

I thought I posted the following earlier,but I cant locate the post now ,so ill try again,

Does anyone have any idea where that gas station was or is? The signs at the station may tell,but i could only make out "Walker" above the pumps.

The rest of the area could be from Victorville to joshua tree as far as I know.

Anyone know where the road parts were taken?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having viewed that Vid. and have driven that type of desert out of LA and San Diego back in 1972, I call it Joshua Tree area. In fact, the first thing that popped into my mind was - Joshua Tree...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just an Update. Nothing really "New", sadly the economy and a catastrophic illness in my family has put the Doc on hold for a bit. We're spending a lot of time going to and from MD Anderson in Houston.

I thought people interested in the car may want to check out Dick Wolf's new film "When You're Strange". It's streaming on Netfilx. There is no new information in the film, it is really just an example of what you can do in a documentary if you have unlimited funds (sure I'm jealous, what of it?)

What the film does have is a great deal of remastered footage from HWY. These clips, including quite a bit of the car, are the clearest I have ever seen. It's worlds advanced from the bootleg and youtube footage available.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

Morrison's Mustang- A vision quest to find "The Blue Lady"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Morrisons-Mustang-Documentary/298816173162

• 1 year later...

Where is the gas station morrison stopped at. i can only read part of a sign that ends in Walker/

Can anyone read the whole sign and maybe one in the background further back than the one that has "Walker"

The road trip pics appear to be in the high desert . Film doesnt shed any info on what Hwy/Rd hes on,unless I missed something.

I realise that this post is 2 1/2 years old but for what it's worth the sign looks to read "GLENN WALKER".

Archived