TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Morrison's Mustang Documentary

Many people may know that the Door's lead singer, Jim Morrison, once owned a 1967 GT500. What you might not know is that this was the only car he ever had registered in his name. For this wild child, to whom material things meant nothing, this car was different. It was a gift from Jac Holzman of Elektra records. While Jim left wrecked rental cars all over the country, he kept up with the Nightmist Blue GT500, which he had dubbed "The Blue Lady".

We know the car was delivered in late 1967. A stripe delete car, close set driving lights, and parchment interior. We have the VIN code for the car, and verification should be pretty easy if it ever found.

It vanished in October 1969. There are a WEALTH of people with stories of what happened to it, but none of them are ever backed up with anything. So we are setting off on a quest to find "The Blue Lady". Along the way, we want to document why the Shelby cars hold such mystique for their owners. Why this would have been the one possession that Jim really cared about.

Anyone who has information, photos, stories, or anything to contribute, it would be welcomed. If the conspiracy theories are true, and someone has it in a warehouse waiting for the right moment to spring it, now might be the time! Warning though, we will completely vet anything before it ends up in the movie.

Thanks!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

Morrison's Mustang- A Vision Quest to find "The Blue Lady".

http:/www.myspace.com/morrisonsmustang

MM

Welcome to Team Shelby and wish you the best on your quest. Being in SoCal all my life I've heard all the Morrison stories about that Shelby and have always felt that if it was still around it would have surfaced by now.

Morrison not only wrecked rental cars he wrecked that Shelby numerous times and would just leave it on the side of the road. My guess is that it just never made it back from one of those wrecks. Perhaps towed and never claimed or damage too severe to justify the repair. Perhaps his management didn't repair it after the last time thinking that he would eventually kill himself in it. I'm sure there are other possibilities.

I would agree that Morrison loved driving that Shelby but am not sure he loved the car. The way he beat on it and with the many accidents make me say that. I'm pretty sure on YouTube is the video of him just beating the snot out of the car in the desert. Its been awhile since I watched that video but didn't it end with the Shelby not being able to be restarted and Morrison walks away from the car?

Again good luck on your quest and it would be neat if the car was found but just don't see that happening.

Steve

I would agree that Morrison loved driving that Shelby but am not sure he loved the car. The way he beat on it and with the many accidents make me say that. I'm pretty sure on YouTube is the video of him just beating the snot out of the car in the desert. Its been awhile since I watched that video but didn't it end with the Shelby not being able to be restarted and Morrison walks away from the car?

Again good luck on your quest and it would be neat if the car was found but just don't see that happening.

Steve

The video you are talking about was a clip from HWY, a film Jim shot with a few friends in the desert. He was supposed to be playing a crazed hitchiker the "Killer On the Road", who kills the Shelby's owner and then steals it. I believe the Courson family still owns the rights to the footage and they get it pulled down anywhere it crops up.

The funny thing about this car is, when Jac Holtzman asked Jim what he wanted as a thank you gift, "Just name it", he chose this car (Robbie and John got recording equipment, Ray got a thorughbred horse). He ordered it specifically the way it was equipped. His hairstylist, Jay Sebring, (later a manson family victim) had a GT350, and Jim thought it was the coolest car he had ever seen.

As for the bottle, that is the stuff of legend. It has been suggested that Jim had a rare condition that causes a strange metabolism of alcohol. Where most people get it gradually, this condition causes a build up that releases all at once. It would account for the stories where people watched him drink a fifth by himself and be perfectly lucid one minute and falling down near unconscious the next.

I have a few people who claim "My ________ died, and we have a Mustang he said belonged to Jim Morrison in storage" to check. I have looked at a few already and they were not correct. If anyone is interested, it was #939 in '67. I have all the option info, vin, etc.

Finding the car would be great, but I do believe this Shelby was different, and I think it is a new way to look into the passion and artistry as expressed by the choice of automobile. It is a unique thing.

Thanks again for any help, and I would be glad to answer any questions anyone has, to the best of my ability.

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

MM

What does Sugerman have to say about the car? Legend has it that Jims flunkies drove that car more than Morrison and perhaps wrecked it just as many times as Morrison.

Steve

While I have no personal knowledge of "Sugerman's" account, it has been said that "No one here gets out alive", his bio of the Doors is known among the remaining members as "Nothing here but lots of lies".

Frank Lisciandro and Paul Ferrara are in a better position as they worked closely with Jim at the time when he had the car. I have 2 of Jim's "handlers" on the list, but getting people to talk is tricky. Everyone wants to do a Sex and Drugs Monster angle, and that's just not the direction I'm coming from. You can't blame them for being wary though.

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

Many people may know that the Door's lead singer, Jim Morrison, once owned a 1967 GT500. What you might not know is that this was the only car he ever had registered in his name. For this wild child, to whom material things meant nothing, this car was different. It was a gift from Jac Holzman of Elektra records. While Jim left wrecked rental cars all over the country, he kept up with the Nightmist Blue GT500, which he had dubbed "The Blue Lady".

We know the car was delivered in late 1967. A stripe delete car, close set driving lights, and parchment interior. We have the VIN code for the car, and verification should be pretty easy if it ever found.

It vanished in October 1969. There are a WEALTH of people with stories of what happened to it, but none of them are ever backed up with anything. So we are setting off on a quest to find "The Blue Lady". Along the way, we want to document why the Shelby cars hold such mystique for their owners. Why this would have been the one possession that Jim really cared about.

Anyone who has information, photos, stories, or anything to contribute, it would be welcomed. If the conspiracy theories are true, and someone has it in a warehouse waiting for the right moment to spring it, now might be the time! Warning though, we will completely vet anything before it ends up in the movie.

Thanks!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

There are 100's of posts and several forums here that could answer that question for you. Although every owners answer will be slightly different than the other's, they will be fundamentally the same.

And it's not just the car either, it's the man (Shelby) too. There are not too many people in the world that other people would travel thousands of miles (and spend 100's of dollars) just to have the opportunity to spend a few moments with him. Next week's event in Las Vegas (January 8 through the 11th) is an example of that dedication/draw. Although most are coming in from the left half of our country, there will be a few owners that are coming in from overseas and a few from Canada too.

In fact, you may want to consider hopping on a jet and flying out to the event yourself. It would be a terrific opportunity for you to sit down and talk to many, many, owners (old and new Shelby owners) of these cars and hear why they feel what they feel about their cars directly for yourself.

You can get more information about next week's "Shelby Bash" in Las Vegas just by clicking on the banner that appears on the top of the pages within this site.

and some members from Texas....your that group from Temple, right? Collector car center or something like that if I recall

There is a crucial first step to finding the car....see if it is registered through SAI or SAAC first....chances are it is with someone who knows what a shelby is, but dont know the story behind it. There was a thread on here some time ago that someone was boasting to be buying Morrison's Shelby...do a search...its here somewhere...

Or check here....apparently this guy found the car with some lady in Pheonix....but thats for you to find out...heheheh good luck!

http://www.shelbymustang.com/morrison.php

I did once own a dealership in Temple, TX. Closed in 2007.

We have searched all of the usual suspects. No trace. I've been doing the research on this project for over 2 years now in my spare time, so I have covered most of the bases. I have also heard all the stories of "I found it..........." "It's in a warehouse.........". So far there are only a few that seem to be worth checking out.

Of course, I know it happens, but it is still pretty rare for someone to scrap a GT500. There was a time in the mid 70's where values were low enough that it could have been possible, if the person had no idea the pedigree of the car.

The idea of the film is not so much the destination, but the journey (to use an OLD cliche'). It will be about the people we meet along the way, the stories they tell, and what that brings to light about an artist and a magnificent car.

Again, I welcome suggestions, questions, etc. After 2 + years I still learn something new about this story every week.

Thanks!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

post-23807-1231207355_thumb.jpg

Of course, I know it happens, but it is still pretty rare for someone to scrap a GT500. There was a time in the mid 70's where values were low enough that it could have been possible, if the person had no idea the pedigree of the car.

While I believe the car was scrapped I also feel that most of the unique Shelby parts were probably removed before that happened. Makes you wonder if the steering wheel or rollbar are in someones Shelby right now and they have no idea of the history.

All the best with your film project. I like the idea.

Steve

I have a friend who has been investigating this car for a number of years as well. I'm going to speak to him later this week and see if he has any information that might be of help.

Parts stripped and moved to other cars. Hmmm...sounds like a cetain Porsche that has a spooky history...

1967 Shelby's did not come from the factory with Lemans stripes. Only the Super Snake received stripes.

The Super Snake had a unique single stripe, but the Lemans stripes on the GT-350s and GT-500s were still an option in '67, as they were on the '65 and '66 Shelbys. They were no longer available in the '68 model year, although I have seen '68s with them...thy really don't look too good on those IMHO.

Thanks!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

go to http://www.shelbymustang.com/morrison.php and there is an interesting artical about morrison and his shelby

go to http://www.shelbymustang.com/morrison.php and there is an interesting artical about morrison and his shelby

Thanks. That article's been around a few years. Nothing ever came of it.

Jim Morrison attracted a strangely devoted following. I am often contacted by female fans who say the knew the "Real Jim" and what really happened to the car and I should just "Leave it alone". These messages range from mildly delusional to borderline nuts.

Thanks!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

The Super Snake had a unique single stripe, but the Lemans stripes on the GT-350s and GT-500s were still an option in '67, as they were on the '65 and '66 Shelbys. They were no longer available in the '68 model year, although I have seen '68s with them...thy really don't look too good on those IMHO.

Sorry, but no dice, although this seems to be a persistent Shelby myth. No 67 Shelby (other than the SS) left Shelby American with stripes. This has been done to death on other forums. Contact head judge for Team Shelby Bob Gaines if you'd like. Any stripes were installed post Shelby American.

Sorry, but no dice, although this seems to be a persistent Shelby myth. No 67 Shelby (other than the SS) left Shelby American with stripes. This has been done to death on other forums. Contact head judge for Team Shelby Bob Gaines if you'd like. Any stripes were installed post Shelby American.

According to the Shelby American Guide and the Shelby Buyers Guide, which has a price list of the cars and their options, the LeMans Stripes were a $24.95 option (dealer cost $20.46) for all '67 Shelbys. These stripes were generally considered dealer installed, but are on the options list and therefore considered correct on the cars. On the SAAC registration form for 1967 Shelbys there is a place to designate factory installed LeMans stripes, dealer installed LeMans stripes or owner installed LeMans stripes. Must be something to that, ya think? I've been going to Shelby meets for nearly 30 years, and have seen them on '67s more often than not. This link is to the image of a '67 Shelby 'Road Car' ad, it shows the cars with LeMans stripes. Granted it is artwork and not a photo, it is more evidence to the contrary of the 'persistent myths' incorrectness.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showim...,0&format=0

One thing I think we can agree on is that there was no 'stripe delete' option as far as the LeMans stripes were concerned on the '67s.

One thing I think we can agree on is that there was no 'stripe delete' option as far as the LeMans stripes were concerned on the '67s.

I own a lot of vintage advertising, and everything I have showed the stripes. I guess that was what threw me off. So for the sake of correctness, perhaps it should be "Lacked the LeMans stripes that were common on the 1967 models"?

Thanks!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

• 4 months later...

I have an old poster of Jim Morrison standing in the desert

in front of a Shelby gt500 with a coat draped over his shoulder.

Is this the infamous Shelby he owned?

Sorry no pic ... poster is rolled up and stored away in my attic somewhere!

When will the movie come out and is there any word on the search?

07SGT2591

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

L. Christian Mixon:

"That article's been around for years and nothing has come out of it".

I'm the one the wrote who the article and I'm the one that owns the original registration for Morrison's car.

I would think if your a serious producer and investigator you would "follow-up" on that article.

Bret Matteson

www.shelbymustang.com

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone else read in latest Mustang Monthly that this car was found?

Dp

Sadly the article on "Top 10 Dream Mustangs" was a bit misleading if you read it quickly.

The article said that "the car's Department of Motor Vehicle info has recently surfaced" (http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0107_top_10_dream_mustangs/index.html ).

That info has hardly "Recently Surfaced". A Door's collector site had the registration for sale for years for about 20 times what it was worth. While doing the background on the documentary we were able to obtain the VIN for the car fairly easily. Just takes talking to the right people and knowing where to look.

I have been in the collectible automobile business for 20 years, and I have seen all sorts of strange things. Many people who suddenly come into money go out and buy one of every car they dreamed about and then stick them in storage and forget them. There was a big story in Hot Rod a few years ago about a load of Yenko Camaros and Novas along with tons of rare parts found in sea freight containers while going through an estate.

Jim's Mustang could be sitting in a storage locker in Idaho where the storage company went out of business, the owner died and it just hasn't been torn down. I had a client find an original '40 Ford convertible under just those circumstances.

The economy put a dent in our production budget, but we are soldiering on. Keep your fingers crossed!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

I have an old poster of Jim Morrison standing in the desert

in front of a Shelby gt500 with a coat draped over his shoulder.

Is this the infamous Shelby he owned?

Sorry no pic ... poster is rolled up and stored away in my attic somewhere!

When will the movie come out and is there any word on the search?

07SGT2591

Kevin

I've seen the poster. It was an artist rendition that was photo-realistic and pretty cool. The researchers jumped all over it pointing out that it wasn't a photograph and that roads didn't have "White Side Stripes" in the state at the time, etc, etc.

It's still a wonderful poster, but not an actual photo of the car. The sole photographic evidence so far remains the unreleased film HWY.

Thanks!

Did anyone else read in latest Mustang Monthly that this car was found?

Dp

Sadly the article on "Top 10 Dream Mustangs" was a bit misleading if you read it quickly.

The article said that "the car's Department of Motor Vehicle info has recently surfaced" (http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0107_top_10_dream_mustangs/index.html ).

That info has hardly "Recently Surfaced". A Door's collector site had the registration for sale for years for about 20 times what it was worth. While doing the background on the documentary we were able to obtain the VIN for the car fairly easily. Just takes talking to the right people and knowing where to look.

I have been in the collectible automobile business for 20 years, and I have seen all sorts of strange things. Many people who suddenly come into money go out and buy one of every car they dreamed about and then stick them in storage and forget them. There was a big story in Hot Rod a few years ago about a load of Yenko Camaros and Novas along with tons of rare parts found in sea freight containers while going through an estate.

Jim's Mustang could be sitting in a storage locker in Idaho where the storage company went out of business, the owner died and it just hasn't been torn down. I had a client find an original '40 Ford convertible under just those circumstances.

The economy put a dent in our production budget, but we are soldiering on. Keep your fingers crossed!

L. Christian Mixon

Producer

The short paragraph in Mustang Monthly (Aug. '09 issue) states that not only has the Morrison GT500 been found in New Mexico, but also states that the car has been sent to Total Performance Inc., in Witchita. KS. for restoration. This is not a top 10 dream car article, but a specific note about the 'Blue Lady'.

The short paragraph in Mustang Monthly (Aug. '09 issue) states that not only has the Morrison GT500 been found in New Mexico, but also states that the car has been sent to Total Performance Inc., in Witchita. KS. for restoration. This is not a top 10 dream car article, but a specific note about the 'Blue Lady'.

I see the note on their website, but there doesn't seem to be any additional material. If this is the case, then I guess the search would be over. I'd like to now how it was identified and what the details are before we mark it "Case Closed".

Thanks

Christian Mixon

Thanks again for the info, we have some calls out and are working on verifying.

Thanks again for the info, we have some calls out and are working on verifying.

The car has NOT been found!

I own the documents on Morrison's car and the car at Total Performance is not Morrison's car.

The owner of the car called MM and they printed an article suggesting it was the car.

It is not the car and the VIN has been verified as not being the car.

Bret Matteson

www.shelbymustang.com

The car has NOT been found!

I own the documents on Morrison's car and the car at Total Performance is not Morrison's car.

The owner of the car called MM and they printed an article suggesting it was the car.

It is not the car and the VIN has been verified as not being the car.

Bret Matteson

www.shelbymustang.com

I spoke to Total Performance this morning and will hopefully speak to the car's owner soon.

Sadly this car has been "Found" about 20 times so far. Each time we have gone to verify it, the suspect car was not Jim's. If all goes well we will get a chance to inspect the car at Total Performance and see. I won't discount it until I have had the chance to make a visual inspection and verify all the VIN locations.

I have long felt that when or if it turns up, it will have been in storage somewhere. There have been many rare cars that were in a storage facility for years with no one knowing their significance.

Archived