TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 Full Pictures

03 DSG Snake

Following the introduction of the 2010 Ford Mustang at the LA Auto Show in November, Ford today officially revealed the more potent Shelby GT500 edition, ahead of its expected debut at the Detroit auto show next month. Powered by a 540 horsepower 5.4-liter V8, the new Shelby is more powerful than its predecessor by 40 horses.

Ford says its Special Vehicle Team (SVT) division carried over the gains made with the special edition Shelby GT500KR to the more widely produced Shelby model. The new GT500 also gains the GT500KR’s whopping 510 pound-feet of torque.

“Working together on the KR, the Ford and Shelby teams developed new systems to continually improve the iconic Mustang,” stated Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Automobiles.

“Those lessons learned are incorporated into the 2010 Shelby GT500. This approach will help maintain Mustang’s leadership position at the front of the pack and make the ownership experience even more enjoyable.”

New gearbox enhancements, plus a standard 3.55:1 rear axle ratio, decreased drag, and increased downforce mean the 2010 Shelby GT500 will deliver improved acceleration, while providing 2 mpg of additional highway fuel efficiency.

“The muscle car segment is becoming even more competitive,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief nameplate engineer for SVT. “We need to uphold the Mustang badge with honor, the Shelby badge with honor and most importantly the Ford badge with honor. The 2010 GT500 is the car that will do all of that.”

The supercharged and intercooled V8, featuring dual overhead cams, redlines at 6,250 rpm.

The twin-disc clutch on the six-speed manual transmission has been upgraded, yielding better performance. The clutch discs are larger — 250 mm in diameter compared with 215 mm — and made of copper and fiberglass for increased strength.

Revised gear ratios promise better acceleration and economy. Gears 1 through 4 remain the same, but fifth gear changes from .80 to .74 while sixth gear goes from .63 to .50, meaning that the 2010 Shelby GT500 will turn lower engine RPMs in those gears and deliver improved efficiency. The new final drive ratio, from 3.31 to 3.55, enables the improved acceleration in lower gears.

Engineers reportedly paid extra attention to improving cabin noise. “You still hear the supercharger but not so that it’s intrusive,” said Kerry Baldori, chief functional engineer for SVT. “It’s the same with the exhaust. You want people to know you’re driving something special, but you don’t want an exhaust note that overpowers the whole interior.”

New lightweight wheels, optimized springs and dampers, Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, and a stiffer steering shaft all promise to enhance handling.

Other features include AdvanceTrac stability control (which can be disabled), dual stage front air bags, side-impact air bags, Ford SYNC, 911 Assist, a constantly updated Vehicle Health Report (VHR), and an Ambient Lighting System with MyColor. Voice-activated navigation with Sirius Travel Link is optional.

shelby-gt500-coupe-3.jpg

shelby-gt500-coupe-15.jpg

shelby-gt500-coupe-23.jpg

Lots more Coupe and Vert pics here: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-shelby-gt500.html

I am not sold on the new styling. The mechanical improvements are excellent, however. There seems to be a lack of symetry in the front end design and the photos we have seen of the rear portion of the car are, well, uninspiring to say the least. Need to see this car in person to make up my mind.

Jim

The only place of the plaque is on the passenger airbag cover. i wonder what would be its shape.

Think it should be unlawful to mount a Forein Projectile to the Passenger Air Bag Cover?????? :hysterical:

here is another link to more pics and editorial:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/shelbygt500press/

i love the new mechanicals. 40 more hp, 3.55 rear end, wheels are very sharp. the interior is great too. i especially like the new striped billet alum shifter. not sure about the rear end look but noticed they went back to the centered shelby logo.

overall, i still prefer the 07-09 series because i think it just has a more "retro/original" shelby appeal to it. but i do like the new model too and if this was the first year for the new shelby, i would be all over it.

A good looking car no doubt about it, although I agree that it just dosn't have the lines of the 07-09's. The wheels are slick, not too busy, which most OEM wheels tend to be IMO. I am excited to see the SS editions as well as some of the aftermarket hoods that will be offered, that might clean it up a bit. The mirrors are much improved as Ford really missed the boat on ours (I can't wait to replace mine). Great idea to add the KR tune and 3.55s, that will wake it right up, overall, I think it is good to go. H.

I also love the grabber blue with the white stripes looks awesome and with the leather racing stripes stiched on the seats what a great looking seat. I love the new little details they put on the inside, soft to touch plastics, real aluminum, shelby badging on consule, passenger side dash. Love the Shelby lettering being spaced out on the rear deck lid :happy feet:

Archived