TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 GT500 Reveal

wishihad1

Just saw some pics of the new GT500 and man, does this thing look good! I'm not at all a fan of the new GT, and was a little worried about how the 500 would look, but it is amazing! Theres a few things I don't like (wheel color, and no Vista stripes), but I can deal with that. I want one! :drool:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/01/detroit...500-bites-back/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got done looking at all the pictures. I like it but I think the S197 body style has a little more classic look to it and these are a little more modern. For me, the pictures just made my mind up. I'm going to buy an 09.

I'm sure others will love these more/less but they look very similar to the 07-09 models. I just like the front of the 09's better and there are some good (close to Invoice) deals to be had right now.

By the way. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Kevin

Just saw some pics of the new GT500 and man, does this thing look good! I'm not at all a fan of the new GT, and was a little worried about how the 500 would look, but it is amazing! Theres a few things I don't like (wheel color, and no Vista stripes), but I can deal with that. I want one! :drool:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/01/detroit...500-bites-back/

They kept the lines and improved the styling.

Car looks great (IMO)

Well, the mistery of the 2010 clutch is now finally been resolved...

The twin-disc clutch on the six-speed manual transmission has been significantly upgraded, improving drivability and NVH. The discs on the 2010 Shelby GT500 are larger – 250 mm in diameter compared with 215 mm in diameter on the outgoing model – and made of copper and fiberglass to make them more robust.

A unique component of the twin-disc system is the control of the intermediate disc. Rather than floating, it instead has six straps that control the engagement of the clutch, improving drivability.

But I'm very happy that I won't have to deal with this feature... (JMO)

The 2010 Shelby GT500 features AdvanceTrac, Ford's stability control system with several options for performance. The default "on" mode accommodates every-day driving, and a Sport mode delivers for those wanting to put the Shelby GT500 through its paces on the track. The system also can be turned completely off, although the anti-lock brake system and other active safety systems remain in place. Standard safety equipment includes: dual stage front air bags, side-impact air bags and Ford's Personal Safety System.

Projector beam headlamps? Sure looks like them on the vert pictures!

This car is a killer folks, and my hats off to the engineers for getting dialed in so nicely.

From the side shots the 4x4 look is not as pronounced. I'd like to see if all those hood vents are real and did they get the extra 40HP by using the FRPP CAI kit or just bump the timing. I do like the interior better than the first series but not enough to swap mine in for one.

Are there still enough people out there that want to spend this kind of money on a car in a sour economy?

The front of the car is beautiful so much better than just the GT. I want to see the rear. The interior is growing on me, but the stripes on the seats I dont know about.

I like the front end and sides, but am really curious why they really kept back pictures of the rear. I suspect the rear is going to be the weak spot, with the funky angles and the big rubber diaper looking trim under the back.

I will say, however, that what I see right now, looks really nice.

I found it hard to believe that anything could be done to the '07-'09 without making it worse, and I'll say that from my eyes, this is no less than a parallel.

Anybody else notice that the projector beam / HID option causes a swap of position with the orange marker lights in the cluster? With the non-HID, the main beams are at the outer most position, but with the HID, the main beams are in the interior position.

Another curiosity is why did Ford make such a big deal about avoiding stripping the Verts, by offering explanations that the original Verts didn't have stipes, but now do an about face and add stripes? My '08 Vert doesn't have them, yet I probably like the way they look, but don't necessarily want to make that big of an unchangeable change, to my car...

If I didn't have an '08, I'd certainly buy an '10, but not enough here for me to take the depreciation hit (especially now that Ford is flooding the market with GT500's) to upgrade. A cold air kit, and exhaust and I'd feel like I have as nice a car as '10 and I can do both for under $1500. My car has probably depreciated, in 1 years time, at least $10K, so I'd be foolish to change to a '10 for 40HP.

In addition, in my opinion, there is NOTHING Chromoco of GM can do, to make the Challenger or Camaro, cooler than this. They simply cannot make those cars better than this. The Mustang / GT500 will reign as king!

i would like to see the rear of the car...i like the front and side shots everything looks great..the interior is a little hokey i think the stripes on the seats and shift knob are stupid..but the square vents in the mid portion of the dash dont bother me like they did from the first pics i saw...i think the 07-09's are the way to go they did not change enough..now if they offered grabber green with black stripes it would be a different story

At the risk of being a naysayer, and admitting that the styling of cars tends to grow on me over time, I see influences from the Capri (which appears to be where the rear end "inspiration" came from) and, dare I say it, the Mustang II. We will see over time. The wheels leave me luke warm, too. It always helps to see one in the flesh so I will withhold judgment until then.

Jim

At the risk of being a naysayer, and admitting that the styling of cars tends to grow on me over time, I see influences from the Capri (which appears to be where the rear end "inspiration" came from) and, dare I say it, the Mustang II. We will see over time. The wheels leave me luke warm, too. It always helps to see one in the flesh so I will withhold judgment until then.

Jim

I agree on the wheels. Maybe I am weird, but I really like how the 5.4 and the wheels of the '07-'09 tie the car to the Ford GT. I know the GT wheels ae a bit different, but they are similar, too.

I think the new wheels tie the car more to the IROC Z's than any former Ford product.

I like how the Coupe has 19's, but in a way, as a Vert lover, I would feel now inferior with the Verts 18's. I know I am a bit psycho in my line of thought, but it is my mind....... I like when the Verts give up as little as possible to the Coupes, but loosing the best wheel option is a pretty big loss.

How many people think that that seam line between the hood and the front bumper is going to be all over the map once we see the production cars? I really don't think Ford works tight enough tolerances to pull that off nearly as good as those photo cars.

I think that gap will visually vary and not look very nice. I could be wrong, but that is an extremely visible place for a very complicated alignment issue.

How many people think that that seam line between the hood and the front bumper is going to be all over the map once we see the production cars? I really don't think Ford works tight enough tolerances to pull that off nearly as good as those photo cars.

I think that gap will visually vary and not look very nice. I could be wrong, but that is an extremely visible place for a very complicated alignment issue.

I agree that's the 1st thing I saw. That gap needs some work.

- wheels

- interior

- SYNC

- interior trunk release

- power upgrades

- handling upgrades

- new clutch

- centered "SHELBY" across rear

- center cap with SVT!!! (and no key hole!!!)

Dislikes:

- front grille/hood gap

- side striping and "GT 500" font

- rear end

- grille cobra on wrong side! (I understand it's for functional reasons, but still!)

All in all, it doesn't look like a "balanced" design. I would love to transplant its interior into mine, but I'd take the 07-09 any day for balance, style, and overall feel.

I'm glad I like the 07-09 better, because I'd probably have my wife throw me out if I wanted to trade up to a 2010! :hysterical:

- wheels

- interior

- SYNC

- interior trunk release

- power upgrades

- handling upgrades

- new clutch

- centered "SHELBY" across rear

- center cap with SVT!!! (and no key hole!!!)

Dislikes:

- front grille/hood gap

- side striping and "GT 500" font

- rear end

- grille cobra on wrong side! (I understand it's for functional reasons, but still!)

All in all, it doesn't look like a "balanced" design. I would love to transplant its interior into mine, but I'd take the 07-09 any day for balance, style, and overall feel.

I'm glad I like the 07-09 better, because I'd probably have my wife throw me out if I wanted to trade up to a 2010! :hysterical:

THE ROMEO NICHE LINE IS SUPPOSED TO START ENGINE PRODUCTION END OF THIS MONTH

WE HAVE ALREADY BUILT ABOUT 40 SO FAR

I had a chance to have a close look at the car and even sit in it last September. With leopard like camouflage all over the car, it was not as easy to prpoerly judge the exterior. I had a generally positive impression then and these shoys only reinforce it. I like the wheel design, plus the fact that they are 19", at least on the coupe.

As others did, I also noticed that they kept shots of the rear end at a minimum. I also agree that this is the weaker aspect of the car's styling, but at least, the SHELBY letters are now properly centered on the rear decklid.

To me the biggest improvement is the interior. Some better quality materials plus some added features like automatic climate control, Sync and steering audio controls make the interior more luxurious.

As far as the additional 40HP, it is essentially due tho a CAI kit, unless anything changed between the prototype I saw and the production version. Overall, some nice improvements, but not enough for me to make the switch now.

My simple showing of the pictures to my wife caused "the discussion" to happen, where I have to explain to no end that I was just showing her the pictures and not that I want to run out and buy one!

:hysterical:

Ya thats the way it starts??????????????

I like what I see, but I really would like to see the rear end. Very strange that there were no shots of it from behind. The dark blue and white looked really nice. There are gonna be a bunch of really cool affordable used cars out there in about ten years! We can all have garages full of them!

The car looks sick! I want one but have that feeling to hold out for the 2011.

Jared

Jared,

why do you suppose the article says:

"Unfortunately, one aspect that didn't change is the cast iron engine block. The aluminum block that was used in the Ford GT supercar had a dry sump system that can't be packaged in the Mustang".

They use the word "Can't" and that leads me to believe that this will not happen in 2011.

Any thoughts ?

Well, first off, this doesn't compel me to get rid of my 2007. In fact, I never will, first year, one year only color, I love this car. I think at the present time I prefer the styling of the 2007-2009, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of picking up another GT500 come 2011.

Maybe the rear shots are to hide any hints of an IRS? Or maybe the plastic is really that bad.

I've seen plenty of 2010 GT and V6 models in person, and they do look a lot better from the rear than they do in photos.

Archived