TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Dakota was in a wreck

gt350shelby

I have a red Shelby Dakota that was hit in the passenger door and also have door post damage and I haven't decided to get it fixed or scrape it out.

The body shop said it was about $5000 in damage and his{the person who hit it}insurance company said they will only give the "totaled" value of the pickup which they said is $3000.

Also, the body shop i took it to said that the insurance co. does not have a choice if they want to fix it or not, that it was my choice not the insurance company's choice!

What do you think, should I fix or scrap it out? How many of the 1500 produced are still left? If I scrap mine out does that make yours more valuable?

I bought a used Sheby GT350 back in 1975 and it has climbed in value and I was wondering if the Sheby Dakota might do the same.

Al

Al

How many miles does your Dakota? This is the major factor in determining the trucks current value.

If Shelby had not hooked back up with Ford I would have said there was a chance the S/Dakota could become collectible as it was Shelby's first RWD V8 vehicle to go thru his factory in 22 years.

Are you able to post some pics?

Steve

Al

How many miles does your Dakota? This is the major factor in determining the trucks current value.

If Shelby had not hooked back up with Ford I would have said there was a chance the S/Dakota could become collectible as it was Shelby's first RWD V8 vehicle to go thru his factory in 22 years.

Are you able to post some pics?

Steve

Hi Steve, it's got 225k miles on the odometer. I guess it was just wishful tinking it might be worth someting some day.

Everything Shelby appears to be there. I put the hub caps in storage because the studs broke off in the wheels.

It was real smart thinking to have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other so they seized up as a result.

Another thing missing is all the decals. I have several new ones saved so I could repaint someday. Not now though.

Hi Steve, it's got 225k miles on the odometer. I guess it was just wishful tinking it might be worth someting some day.

Everything Shelby appears to be there. I put the hub caps in storage because the studs broke off in the wheels.

It was real smart thinking to have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other so they seized up as a result.

Another thing missing is all the decals. I have several new ones saved so I could repaint someday. Not now though.

Al

With that many miles and the fact that it would have a salvage title I say let it go. I'd still buy it back from the insurance company and either store the unique Shelby parts in case you ever purchase another Shelby Dakota or just part it out right now for a few bucks.

For the record I have three Shelby Dakotas and I wish they were worth something more but I've come to accept that they are what they are and nothings going to change that.

Steve

PS- With the $3k from the insurance company you could probably purchase another S/Dak with half the miles as this one.

• 1 month later...

Lame. I would go down to the local pick and pull and buy a straight cab with doors for $100. Then load it on a trailer and have it sanded and painted the stock color. Then lift the cab off and swap them. it is a $%$^ pick up truck! The Shelby frame is the tough part. Crunched cab and door? Please. Camper jacks and a weekend and you could have the cab swapped. The painful part is painting it. A nice paint job is pricy. If it wasn't a truck and the cabs weren't so easy to get dirt cheap I would say scrap it. But it is too easy to fix a truck, renting the camper jacks is about $50. I have had 60s Dodge trucks were every part was from some where else lol. 3 Omnis died to make my GLHS whole with zero bondo or dents. Totaled for a cab swap? Another nice thing, you can lift the bed and pressure wash and paint the whole engine and trans super easy. Then drop it back down and plug it in! Just depends on how bad you'll miss it. I will always miss old 1207 of mine, but it got hit so hard the frame was bent 4" out of square.

Archived