TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Durango??

tekheavy

Yup. It was a Shelby Licensing deal produced by a company named Performance West Group. PWG tried to sell the Durango as a Super Pursuit but got no takers so they made a deal with Shelby Licensing to call it the Shelby SP360.

Some were supercharged. Carroll has one in his collection.

Steve

Here's some info from the press release:

The SHELBY S.P. 360 is based on the Chrysler Design Excellence Award winning Durango Super Pursuit, the vehicle that pioneered the concept of blending the most desirable features of a true high performance luxury touring sedan with the inherent benefits of a sport utility vehicle. In the process of creating the Super Pursuit, it opened a niche within the sport utility category that showcased a vehicle with heretofore unheard of capabilities and trend setting good looks. The SHELBY S.P. 360 takes the Super Pursuit to a new level of refinement, while exuding the flavor of the legendary competition vehicles that Carroll Shelby is famous for.

With the dramatic increase in the popularity of sport utility vehicles, the opportunity to create a high end ultra performance example of the genre with capabilities far in excess of any competitor posed an interesting objective. The Durango Super Pursuit achieved this goal and the Shelby S.P. 360 advances the philosophy to an even higher level. The Shelby S.P. 360 sets the standard that all other performance sport utility vehicles will be measured by.

Through the use of advanced microprocessor technology, an optional state of the art supercharger is available to enhance the performance. Used in conjunction with the Dodge Magnum 360 V8 engine, the Kenne Bell engineered package employing a positive displacement twin screw supercharger running at merely seven pounds of boost effectively generates in excess of 360 horsepower or the equivalent of one horsepower per cubic inch. This is accomplished with no sacrifice in durability, all around drivability or fuel economy, and in fact actually improves the latter through more efficient internal combustion. The SHELB Y S.P. 360 showcases a technologically superior performance package that offers the driver the advantage of immediate supercharged power throughout the entire rpm range of the engine, without the lag commonly associated with both centrifugal superchargers and turbochargers.

Complementing the performance gains is a re-engineered suspension on the 2 wheel drive chassis that offers a lower center of gravity, with the subsequent benefit of improved handling along with a new lower vehicle profile not normally associated with this category. For the ultimate in braking, the SHELB Y S.P. 360 offers a Stillen engineered AP Racing hi performance braking system for the ultimate in stopping power. Featuring 6 piston calipers with drilled and ventilated rotors, the S.P. 360 can stop as fast as it can accelerate! Enhancing these chassis mods are lightweight 18 inch Carroll Shelby Signature SEC alloy wheels working in concert with low profile Goodyear Eagle GSC speed rated tires. The end result is nearly the handling prowess one expects of a sports car, yet wrapped in a sport utility vehicle package.

Exterior appearance alterations have been designed to enhance the unique personality of the SHELBY S.P. 360, while being careful to maintain the flavor of the vehicle as it's designers intended. Starting at the front is a new hood with dual intake scoops that complement the lower fascia; one that has been substantially reconfigured with a far more aggressive look. Highlighting the aerodynamically designed fascia are large functional dual air intakes, flanked by massive, HID style, high power lights designed to match the speed capabilities provided by the supercharged engine. In addition, the headlights and parking lamps are covered by one piece acrylic covers by that feature carbon fiber printing with projector beam and parking lamp style cuts that add an ultra high tech look.

Stepping to the side, we find electrically actuated sport mirrors and lower body aero skirting that both enhances the lower profile of the vehicle in addition to cleaning up the rocker panel area, highlighted by the aforementioned 18 inch diameter wheels in silver clearcoat with carbon fiber imprinted center caps. Again, the prevailing theme is one of enhanced aerodynamics and sleekness. In the rear, we find that the fascia has been replaced by one which blends with the lower body treatments employed at the front and sides. Adding interest and attention to detail are rolled, angle cut, stainless steel exhaust tips at each corner, complemented by a lower tray designed to enhance air flow management beneath the rear of the vehicle.

The Shelby Cobra Daytona and GT 350 inspired brilliant blue paint and contrasting aggressive white stripes that adorn the SHELBY S.P. 360 evoke visions of racing victories from Sebring to LeMans that Carroll Shelby is famous for, lending continuity to the performance theme while maintaining the purity of the original Super Pursuit design.

The SHELBY S.P. 360 is a vehicle that communicates with its owner. Among its many assets is an optional all wheel drive traction system that distributes power to all four wheels for safer, more surefooted driving in inclement conditions. The SHELBY S.P. 360 offers an unrivaled blend of driving satisfaction that continuously rewards the driver of this vehicle regardless of the driving environment or situations. The interior features ergonomically designed and supportive leather racing style bucket seats, while the dashboard and surrounding surfaces are accented with genuine carbon fiber trim. For the passengers, a complete entertainment system featuring a 6.4" LCD monitor built into an OE style ceiling console to project that favorite program or motion picture from an onboard video cassette player. The SHELBY S.P. 360 is a vehicle that is clearly an extension of personality, offering the enthusiastic driver and passenger(s) a rewarding experience while at the same time retaining the virtues necessary for the rigors of day to day driving.

MORE THAN A NAME

"A legend in his own time" best describes Carroll Shelby. Whenever performance and racing cars are the topic, his name is invariably mentioned. Talk about the creator of some of the most successful sports cars from the 60's and one name continually comes up; Carroll Shelby. Famous for creating the World Championship Winning Cobra, the Mustang G.T. 350, and largely responsible for the success of the Ford G.T. 40 program that culminated in wins at LeMans, Carroll Shelby is nothing less an icon.

The Shelby S.P. 360. In this day and age when the largest market share in virtually any product, especially consumer durables, is dominated by the proverbial "baby boomers" the name Carroll Shelby shines as a beacon for performance. The SHELBY S.P. 360 is the latest in a long line of legendary high performance vehicles that bear his name. From the Cobra and G.T. 350 Mustang to the new SHELBY S.P. 360, there is no mistaking any of these cars for anything less than exciting, famous and collectible. Carroll Shelby's vehicles have a mystique all their own.

CONCLUSION

The SHELBLY S.P. 360 is an exciting vehicle sure to capture the attention of the performance enthusiast, while making a significant impact on the exploding sport utility truck market. Here is a sophisticated sport utility vehicle, specifically designed from the onset to offer refined, well balanced performance unlike any contemporary peer. Add in the spectacular racing inspired paint scheme and there can be no question that a new niche has been created within this broad category.

In addition, the SHELBY S.P. 360 will attract the attention of the discriminating sport utility purchaser by offering a vehicle that sets the standard rather than merely meeting it, garnering capture sales as a result of this effort to lead by example rather than follow. The SHELBY S.P. 360 is a vehicle that incorporates features not found within this market segment at any price, and offers the driving enthusiast an alternative vehicle with an exciting multi dimensional personality.

The program we have outlined for you contains all of the ingredients necessary for success. The reasoning is clear, the logic is sound and the proposition is teeming with opportunity. We invite you to join us in presenting what will be the most anticipated sport utility vehicle ever created; The SHELBY S.P. 360.

And some more info:

Truck Trend Article

By John Pearley

A Blown SUV From the Man Who Invented Tuner Vehicles

Considering the hassle that goes with being a living legend, why has Carroll Shelby put his name on the supercharged Dodge Durango S.P. 360? Because he practically invented the idea of high-performance Dodge trucks.

Ten years ago, shoehorning a V-8 into Dodge’s Dakota wasn’t a popular idea at Chrysler. After all, who needed more than 3.9 liters of V-6? But in the mind and offices of Carroll Shelby, such an engine swap was crucial to establishing the Dakota’s performance credentials. So was born the ’89 Shelby Dakota, whose 175-horsepower, 5.2-liter V-8 made it the first production compact truck with eight cylinders propelling it. Only 1500 were ever made, and two years later Dodge was cramming 5.2s into Dakotas on its assembly lines.

In retrospect, the Shelby Dakota seems a portent of Dodge’s truck renaissance during the ‘90s, the truck that emboldened the company to build the Ram and updated Dakota and Durango. What better way to celebrate that trend than the S.P. 360?

Despite the Shelby name, the S.P. 360 is actually a product of the Performance West Group. Think of it as an evolution of the non-Shelby Durango Super Pursuit vehicle Performance West showed at 1997’s SEMA show-and the derivation of that "S.P." name is obvious.

The components that convert a regular four-wheel-drive, 5.9 liter Magnum V-8-powered Durango into an S.P.360 are familiar, with the major one being the Kenne-Bell supercharger system. Using a Whipple screw-type compressor producing about 7 pounds of boost, the supercharger is matched to a reprogrammed engine-control computer, breathes in through a Kenne-Bell air induction system, and exhales out past Kenne-Bell headers with equal-length tubes through a 2 ½-inch-diameter stainless steel dual exhaust system. All that results, Performance West claims, in more than 360 horsepower, up 115 from the 245 Dodge rates the unaltered 5.9. The rest of the drive train, including the four speed automatic transmission, full-time four-wheel drive transfer case, and 3.92:1 final-drive-ratio gears, remains standard Durango.

Painted Viper Blue with whit stripes, the bodywork has been restyled by RaceTruck Trends. The "Twin Intake" hoodscoops are nonfunctional, but the front fascia contains new IPF driving lights, and the side skirting makes a tall truck look lower. GT Styling’s head and taillight covers finish off the package. One intriguing change is the removal of the roof rack; the neat filler panels where the rack was located are just the standard Dodge pieces painted to match the body.

With the suspension lowered 3 inches around Edelbrock IAS shocks and a set of SEC 18X8 inch wheels encased in Goodyear Eagle GS-CP285/45ZR8 tires, the S.P. 360 looks the part of a very quick box. Disappointingly, while the front brakes are gorgeous Stillen six-piston calipers clamping drilled and ventilated rotors, the rear brakes on this first S.P. remained drums. That we’ve been assured, will change on subsequent trucks, which will get four discs and retain the Dodge ABS system.

Where the Shelby Cobra was famous for almost no interior room and minimal accouterments, the S.P. 360 is the opposite, High-back Cerullo buckets constitute both the first and second row of seats, and the Durango’s optional third bench is absent. Between the rear seats is a custom console from Wolf Automotive, and dropping from the ceiling is a 5.6-inch LCD video monitor getting video from a cassette player. Everything is trimmed in carbon fiber, and the sound system would crack lead plates from 30 yards.

The exterior design is aggressive and a bit too flamboyant for most. We could live without the hood but are fond of the stripes. The interior, on the other hand, while comfortable for four, sacrifices a little too much of the standard Durango’s utility. We’d keep the bench second set and cut down on the carbon-fiber doodads.

At nearly 5000 pounds, that the S.P. can charge from a dead stop to 60 mph in just 6.7 seconds is wondrous. With the reprogrammed computer aboard, the engine is placid through its operating range and engorged with grunt enough to feel as if it’s pulling tree stumps off Jupiter from a side road on Neptune.

The lowering adds harshness to the suspension, but the big tires’ grip results in an athletic feel and genuinely fleet reflexes. With this much tonnage to pilot, the nose plows defiantly through corners, but there’s enough power to balance that with throttle and the all-wheel-drive system’s tenacious resolve. Braking was good, but this much mass could overwhelm any stopping medium short of a North Atlantic iceberg.

Shelby’s blessing makes this truck special: a tuner vehicle that carries a history dating back four decades – and it’s available through Dodge dealers. Is about $55,000 fully loaded (slipping the supercharger and opting for two-wheel drive knocks that down to about $44,000) a fair price for such a storied ancestry? Ask the people now paying nearly a million dollars for some of Shelby’s earliest efforts. Better hurry if you’re interested, though just 3000 units will be produced.

Thanks Steve. You learn something new every day. A Shelby for the soccer moms. Who woulda thunk it.

In 1989 there were also Shelby Dodge Vans built by one of those Van conversion companies here in SoCal. Just like the Durango it was a licensing deal. The vans had the name Shelby all over them and even used some of the Whittier car stuff like the steering wheel and hatch medallion.

Steve

And some more info:

Shelby’s blessing makes this truck special: a tuner vehicle that carries a history dating back four decades – and it’s available through Dodge dealers. Is about $55,000 fully loaded (slipping the supercharger and opting for two-wheel drive knocks that down to about $44,000) a fair price for such a storied ancestry? Ask the people now paying nearly a million dollars for some of Shelby’s earliest efforts. Better hurry if you’re interested, though just 3000 units will be produced.

In actuality, there were far fewer produced than planned. Performance West made the first one (or first few) and farmed out the work to 2 or 3 other custom shops. Bickering between these other shops over parts supplies and money caused the production to cease prematurely. Less than 375 were made, and I've been told that most of them were shipped overseas to the middle east. Seems the sheiks in Saudi love to drive big cars fast and the Shelby Durango's were in high demand there.

As a side note, the supercharged models were shipped to Dodge dealers with the Kenne Bell supercharger kit in the back and it was dealer installed. I've heard from a couple owners that while they paid for the supercharged model their trucks were delivered to them without it. Seems someone at the dealer took the kit from the back of the vehicle and the dealer sold the vehicle never telling the buyer that the supercharger was missing. The couple folks I've talked to that bought them that way didn't know enough to be able to tell on their own and didn't discover they were had until months or years later. What a shame ....

Learn something new every day. This is a surprise. Any more info on the Kenne Bell supercharger HP change? This is the Dodge (non-Hemi) big 5.9L V8

Yup Tony its not the Hemi but the Magnum 360 V8. Even with the supercharger it still wasn't that fast. Lots of weight to get moving off the line.

I'll try to remember to gets Carroll's out of storage after the Vegas bash and take some pics for everyone. Cleo Shelby used to drive it pretty regularly but that was a few years back so it just sits now which is a good enough reason to get a battery put in for a "road test".

Steve

In 1989 there were also Shelby Dodge Vans built by one of those Van conversion companies here in SoCal. Just like the Durango it was a licensing deal. The vans had the name Shelby all over them and even used some of the Whittier car stuff like the steering wheel and hatch medallion.

Steve

Okay Steve.

Now you gotta find a picture of one of those.

I seem to recall seeing an ad with no pictures for a Shelby Van on craigslist months ago.

I was thinking, "Shelby Van?" Yeah, right!!

Ray

Central California

Okay Steve.

Now you gotta find a picture of one of those.

I seem to recall seeing an ad with no pictures for a Shelby Van on craigslist months ago.

I was thinking, "Shelby Van?" Yeah, right!!

Ray

Central California

I have a few poor quality pics around here somewhere. As far as I know all these full size vans were white in color with blue Shelby stripes. The spare tire was mounted on the rear door in one of those fiberglass tire enclosures with a big C/S logo.

The bucket seats had the Shelby logo stitched into them. They also had a numbered dash plaque. I don't have a firm production figure because the company that produced these vans started to screw Shelby out of his licensing fee by not reporting the sales as required by their contract. There was even talk of this company producing a Shelby Mini Van but as far as I know it never happened.

Ray most if not all of these vans were 1989 models so if that Craigslist ad reappears check the year.

Steve

Here are the pics I was sent of one. The guy that sent them to me was owner of the salvage yard. He sent me the pics to document it. He said he tried to sell it and got no takers, but quite a few folks that told him it was a fake. The van was crushed shortly after. This may be the one that was on Craig's list. He did advertise it for sale, and he was located in Missouri.

shelby_van1.jpg

shelby_van2.jpg

shelby_van3.jpg

shelby_van4.jpg

shelby_van5.jpg

shelby_van6.jpg

Here are the pics I was sent of one. The guy that sent them to me was owner of the salvage yard. He sent me the pics to document it. He said he tried to sell it and got no takers, but quite a few folks that told him it was a fake. The van was crushed shortly after. This may be the one that was on Craig's list. He did advertise it for sale, and he was located in Missouri.

Having a photo of the rear of the Shelby Van would've completed the picture. So, there is such an animal as a full-size Shelby Van. Very Cool!! The only types of vehicle I can think of that I don't recall being made with Shelby's name on it is a station wagon or a 4x4. Although, Shelby American did build up like 36 or 38 of the 1990 Dodge W150 4x4 Rod Hall Signature Series Pickups, it didn't have the Shelby name on it.

Thanks for posting those pictures Barry.

The ad I saw was in California. Definitely something for me to look out for. My family had a 1980 Dodge Sportsman Van for many years when I was a kid. I have an extended 1986 Dodge 1 Ton which is currently being used as storage for all my 2.2 Liter Turbo stuff. Had to put some 6-Ton jack stands on the rear of the frame to keep the leaf springs from flattening out. Love the utility of the Dodge B-Series van.

From the photos, I see on the back of the van, looking at the stripe, that it says SAFARI. I'm guessing that was the manufacturer. There used to be a California company that cut off the tops of retired Postal Jeeps and made Surrey Jeeps out of them. I believe that they were called Safari Cars. They might've been the same company that did these van conversions.

Although it's fuzzy in the photo, the square badge on the door depicting the model, it looks like this was a 250 model, making it a 3/4 Ton van.

Ray

Central California

It's funny how everyone that has ever contacted me about these vans also claimed they were fake for which I don't fault them. The first time I ever saw one was in Torrance California around 1991 and my first reaction was what the heck. All I saw was the exterior so I wasn't really impressed and just thought someone got carried away with their backyard project.

It wasn't until around 1997 that I started to investigate what these vans were. What peaked my interest was a thread on the SDML about them. Nobody knew anything but someone chimed in that Shelby made them because with SAI being an auto manufacturer they had to produce so many vehicles a year to be classified as an manufacturer.

Well that didn't sound right and in hindsight the person who made that post had no clue what he was talking about. First off SAI built 2,000 vehicles in 1989 so they sure didn't need 50 vans to build up their manufacturing numbers. Secondly this person failed to realize that Shelby only built 500 cars in 1986 and had no problem being classified as an auto manufacturer. But more importantly Shelby didn't build these vans, a van conversion company named Safari Vans did.

Thru the years I've seen about five of them here in SoCal. My guess is most if not all of them were sold in California. I have the vin numbers for I'm guessing 98% of them which is good since Chrysler would have no records on a third party conversion.

One of the Shelby employees here in SoCal found one in the j/yard about a year or two ago. He too thought it was fake and by the time he told me about the van it had already been crushed.

I'll try and run all the vin numbers thru CarFax one of these days to see how many are still registered and where they are at but right now I need to concentrate on the SAI registry before Roger and Amy show up at my door.

Steve

It's funny how everyone that has ever contacted me about these vans also claimed they were fake for which I don't fault them. ....

Steve

There was some posting on the SDML about this one too if I recall correctly, and the conclusion was it was a fake and cloned from available parts. The guy that sent me the pics contacted someone in the MWSDAC and they told him it was a fake also. He couldn't accept that so he called me. We talked for about a half hour and he said he would send some pics. It was the middle of winter at the time and there was no way I was going to Missouri to check out the van even though it piqued my curiosity. And he did tell me it was pretty much rusted out underneath.

These pics were sent to me less than a year ago in February of 2008. But the thing that actually convinced me it was real were the seats. CS signed captains chairs with armrests? I couldn't think of another vehicle they could have been taken from to build a clone.

• 2 months later...

LOL...I only drove mine 2X...I took it in on trade for a 99 Cobra..I drove it 2X and sold it to a guy here locally...he thinks it is great..it still has under 6K. The one you have there looks identical to the one I had. Who knows if these things will ever be worth any money...

Alex

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

It's not the most beautiful thing he ever created, but seeing a Shelby van is like seeing a unicorn. I would snatch one up in a heartbeat just for the rarity of it.

The 1989 Dodge conversion van with the Shelby package was not a creation of Carroll Shelby nor Shelby Automobiles. It was a licensing product authorized by Carroll Shelby Licensing.

Steve

The 1989 Dodge conversion van with the Shelby package was not a creation of Carroll Shelby nor Shelby Automobiles. It was a licensing product authorized by Carroll Shelby Licensing.

Steve

No, I understand. I just misspoke. It's still a pretty cool thing to see. It's like a Shelby fan's man-cave on wheels.

• 1 month later...

Here's a Shelby van for sale in San Diego. Not something I'd be interested in, but it would sure be a cool parts chaser.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4081715689.html

Yup that van has been for sale for a while now. He's had it on ebay for $3,900 with no takers so I'm not sure putting it on Craigslist for $8,000 is going to make it sell any faster.

Steve

Archived