TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Boss 302/429

GT500-07

sound's like the 6.2 Boss engine could be a fit for a Boss 429 application

Roush Racing is currently field testing an experimental, large displacement version of the Boss engine code named "777" (7.0 L, 700 hp @ 7,000 rpm) at National Mustang Racers Association (NMRA) events around the United States. The 777 Boss is naturally aspirated and runs on e85 biofuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

sound's like the 6.2 Boss engine could be a fit for a Boss 429 application

Roush Racing is currently field testing an experimental, large displacement version of the Boss engine code named "777" (7.0 L, 700 hp @ 7,000 rpm) at National Mustang Racers Association (NMRA) events around the United States. The 777 Boss is naturally aspirated and runs on e85 biofuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

Unfortunately, that's now ancient history ...they had that experimental Hurricane/Boss in the Roush/Bowles yellow mule for eval last spring. Mark Fields has said there is no plan and never was a plan to put it in the Mustang. It looked like this:

post-4902-1230439292_thumb.jpgpost-4902-1230439359_thumb.jpg

The bore/stroke of that motor was likely +/- 4.23 x 3.80 (427cid). It ran 110 ocatane E85 and while magazines reported it ran 9.40s/140s, I spoke with the Roush/Bowles team at Atco and they told me it eventually ran 8.80s/high-150s! That's 1,100rwHP territory and pretty amazing for a 7.0L 2-valve naturally-aspirated motor, imo. It was also rumored that a set of DOHC heads were in development but no actual evidence of that. The heads on the E85 motor were reportedly SOHC 2-valve.

The 6.2 version will ship next year in the SuperDuty trucks and the F150 Raptor factory off-road truck that will run the Baja 1000 next year will have that motor too (presumeably at 6.2L but no specific info released) ...but the first consumer F-150 Raptors will use a kicked-up 3V 5.4 modular which will then get replaced by the 6.2 Huricane Boss sometime during it's run next year.

Still, nothing credible to indicate any plan for Mustang ...unfortunately. At least we know it will fit!! :)

Dan

post-4902-1230439292_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1230439359_thumb.jpg

thanks Dan, maybe there is some hope for a 302/5.0 :shrug:

Dunno ...sure seemed so before the economy went south. The mags reported the 5.0 "Coyote" 4V would replace the 4.6 in the GT but that isn't happening now -- at least not yet.

If prduced it would most likely be an essentially 'square' motor (like the 4.6) in that bore and stroke would be about equal. It does this with thinner cylinder liners (2.5mm on the Coyote vs 4.0mm on the 4.6 3V) and made up the remaing difference (between 4.6 and 5.0) w/ about .10 additional stroke. This is in contrast to just a 4.6 stroker (which yields an undersquare design) or the 5.0 cammer/racer which gets to 5.0 with bore alone (using "spray-bore" metalurgy vs a press-in liner).

I think the 5.0 Coyote would be a huge hit. Possibly Ford has delayed it for when the Camaro actually rolls out the 6.2? Dunno.

Then there's the BOSS-5.0. ...which seems to have gone from spy-pics to myth in a hearbeat. Sort of like the Whipple 2.9 (just kidding ;-)

Dan

Dunno ...sure seemed so before the economy went south. The mags reported the 5.0 "Coyote" 4V would replace the 4.6 in the GT but that isn't happening now -- at least not yet.

If prduced it would most likely be an essentially 'square' motor (like the 4.6) in that bore and stroke would be about equal. It does this with thinner cylinder liners (2.5mm on the Coyote vs 4.0mm on the 4.6 3V) and made up the remaing difference (between 4.6 and 5.0) w/ about .10 additional stroke. This is in contrast to just a 4.6 stroker (which yields an undersquare design) or the 5.0 cammer/racer which gets to 5.0 with bore alone (using "spray-bore" metalurgy vs a press-in liner).

I think the 5.0 Coyote would be a huge hit. Possibly Ford has delayed it for when the Camaro actually rolls out the 6.2? Dunno.

Then there's the BOSS-5.0. ...which seems to have gone from spy-pics to myth in a hearbeat. Sort of like the Whipple 2.9 (just kidding ;-)

Dan

Agree Dan, until a few months ago there seemed to strong evidence to support a 5.0L "Coyote" Boss Mustang but since the economy :fan:, those plans seemed to have evaporated. I'm hoping the plans were already in place and production will proceed but it seems more doubtful with each passing day.

The 5.0L Coyote would be a huge hit for sure especially if packaged with an appropriate Boss 302 chassis/suspension/brake package. So it appears we are still in "wait and see" mode. :banghead:

Agree Dan, until a few months ago there seemed to strong evidence to support a 5.0L "Coyote" Boss Mustang but since the economy :fan: , those plans seemed to have evaporated. I'm hoping the plans were already in place and production will proceed but it seems more doubtful with each passing day.

The 5.0L Coyote would be a huge hit for sure especially if packaged with an appropriate Boss 302 chassis/suspension/brake package. So it appears we are still in "wait and see" mode. :banghead:

What's also encouraging is that the factory now has (or soon will have) experience with installing FRP suspension on the Flat Rock line (the $1,495 TrackPack for the '10MY GT) and now offers 3.31s, 3.55s and 3.73s diff ratio options. Little by little the pieces/capabilities are happening ...all we need now is the actual package :happy feet:

Between GT500 brakes, the alloy Coyote (preferably forged-internals version) with FGT/500 heads, nice axle ratio selection, damper/susp options, TR6060, KR exhaust pieces, '10MY power-dome hood, etc it would seem that a credible 3500 lb BOSS could be just some vinyl graphics and a stroke-of-the-pen away ...if Ford so chooses.

What's also encouraging is that the factory now has (or soon will have) experience with installing FRP suspension on the Flat Rock line (the $1,495 TrackPack for the '10MY GT) and now offers 3.31s, 3.55s and 3.73s diff ratio options. Little by little the pieces/capabilities are happening ...all we need now is the actual package :happy feet:

Between GT500 brakes, the alloy Coyote (preferably forged-internals version) with FGT/500 heads, nice axle ratio selection, damper/susp options, TR6060, KR exhaust pieces, '10MY power-dome hood, etc it would seem that a credible 3500 lb BOSS could be just some vinyl graphics and a stroke-of-the-pen away ...if Ford so chooses.

Great insight as always Dan. I agree, most of the pieces exist to create a legitimate Boss 302 - now all Ford needs to do is build it!!

• 1 month later...

Who knows? But I'd guess yes! Ford cannot pass on this, imo. With the Coyote 5.0 revised modular now almost certain in the '11GT (which would be out summer of '10 -- the 40th anniversay of Ford TransAm magic) and with all the production-line 'trials' of FRP pieces and the Bullitt, FR500S, GT500, etc, all the key pieces are or soon will be available and are line-proven. I'd frankly be astonished if Ford let's it go by. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :hysterical:

• 4 months later...
Who knows? But I'd guess yes! Ford cannot pass on this, imo. With the Coyote 5.0 revised modular now almost certain in the '11GT (which would be out summer of '10 -- the 40th anniversay of Ford TransAm magic) and with all the production-line 'trials' of FRP pieces and the Bullitt, FR500S, GT500, etc, all the key pieces are or soon will be available and are line-proven. I'd frankly be astonished if Ford let's it go by. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :hysterical:

i would have to agree. i would so love to see a new BOss 302.

...and now that we know the spray-bore (Fords 95 PWTA technology) technology is going prime-time and the 5.0 Coyote will have it, a 5.0 BOSS much like the racing "cammer" would seem to have no production tech challenges left. Ford racing just released a new racing intake manifold for the 4.6 3V that might even be spin-off development from this?

Archived