TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua Weights and distro %

SPRSNK

Just got my Terlingua off the scales. The car is a lot heavier than I thought it was going to be. Weight taken with full tank of gas. Car is pretty much stock Terlingua Performance package. Things I've done to the engine probably add 1#..maybe. I don't have the roll cage, fuel cell or the racing seats in yet. I've taken nothing out of the car to reduce weight or moved my battery to the trunk yet.

LF: 959 RF: 1009

LR: 787 RR: 751

Left 49.8% 1746#

Rear 43.9% 1538#

Cross 51.2% 1796#

Total Weight: 3506#

Btw: I have the 8.8" rear end with 3.73 gearing.

I wonder what the weight of all the Ternlingua add-ons including supercharger-related stuff is? 200 lbs.? A base V6 curb weight is 3300 lbs.

Seems about right. 3300 would be pretty much the dry weight. You're looking at about 112 lbs. of fuel at about 7lbs a gallon. Super charger and other things, probably aroun 100 - 150 lbs. Still pretty darn heavy. Power to weight not to bad though.

Seems about right. 3300 would be pretty much the dry weight. You're looking at about 112 lbs. of fuel at about 7lbs a gallon. Super charger and other things, probably aroun 100 - 150 lbs. Still pretty darn heavy. Power to weight not to bad though.

SPRSNK,

My wife and I are looking forward to getting a Terlingua this year. I want to go around the raod course and she loves the "Rabbid Rabbit" look on the hood. I was shocked to see the weights you posted for the car. I currently have a 40th Anniversery GT500 that I take around the track. The last round I took, I had a full tank of gas and the car weighed in at 3972. I thought the V6 car would be much less. I haven't wieghed my wife's SGT convertilbe yet but I will next spring when I take it to the track.

How does the Terlingua compare to your SuperSnake as far as handling, speed, etc... when on the road course? Just trying to get an idea of the differences in the cars. Rode along with Gary Patterson at Mid-America when the Terlingua was there. I thought it was amazing how the car handles a course, and I thought it had plenty of power; may just be the driver!!

Thanks for the information,

Short road course, the Terlingua beats the rest of the stock Shelby's. By that I mean the Shelby's that haven't been converted to race cars with things like Griggs setups, Agent 47 setups ect ect. It can out brake and out corner them easily. The car just STICKS. Straightaways...fergetaboutit. Everything else will beat it, but the Terlingua sounds so much better than most.

My Terlingua tops out around 140mph with the 8.8" rear and 3.73 gearing. To really make it track ready, the Terlingua needs some mods. I don't have ABS in my car (did this on purpose) and I need to install a brake purportioning valve. The back end brakes work a bit too well and swing the ass around a bit.

I have no fear of running my Terlingua at Shelby events in Group 1. I can keep up if not pass due to the brakes and handling of the car in corners.

Short road course, the Terlingua beats the rest of the stock Shelby's. By that I mean the Shelby's that haven't been converted to race cars with things like Griggs setups, Agent 47 setups ect ect. It can out brake and out corner them easily. The car just STICKS. Straightaways...fergetaboutit. Everything else will beat it, but the Terlingua sounds so much better than most.

My Terlingua tops out around 140mph with the 8.8" rear and 3.73 gearing. To really make it track ready, the Terlingua needs some mods. I don't have ABS in my car (did this on purpose) and I need to install a brake purportioning valve. The back end brakes work a bit too well and swing the ass around a bit.

I have no fear of running my Terlingua at Shelby events in Group 1. I can keep up if not pass due to the brakes and handling of the car in corners.

What else should someone have done to the car while it is in the shop getting the conversion? I want to go around the road course and really don't want to change my 40th Anniversery by adding additional components to it.

What mods would you do to make it track ready?

Thanks,

Dr. Jon

My list of mods for the Terlingua are as follows:

1. Battery Relocation kit to the trunk.

2. Moroso Battery replacement tank for the GT500 Aftercooler. I'm installing it on the Terlingua for the radiator coolant tank and removing the Vortech coolant tank. Placement over the exhaust manifold isn't the greatest of engineering. The Vortech coolant tank cap spits up coolant all the time. Putting a thin layer of grease around the camp fixes this for road use. I've never tried it on the track.

3. One step colder than stock plugs. The Terlingua uses the same plugs as the GT500's, so they are also a "low rise" plug compared to stock.

4. Roll Cage, Racing seats and harnesses.

5. Traqmate date acquisition system

6. Chase Cam setup with DVR and tied into the Traqmate.

This is all being installed after the Vegas Bash. The parts are all in my garage waiting for me to install them. The Traqmate and Chase Cams are going to be setup to go between my GT500 and the Terlingua.

The only thing I haven't listed is wheels. I'm waiting to see if my wheels/hoosiers that I've been running on my GT500 fit my Terlingua as well. I think they just might which means I can run slicks with the Terlingua :happy feet:

Archived