TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Discrimination Issue

New Haven's Injustice Shouldn't Disappear

The Supreme Court should agree to hear the case of a firefighter who was denied a promotion because he is not black. :headscratch:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/...081213_3739.php

This is the kind of thing that will be the beginning of the end for affirmative action. The good news - nothing will do more for blacks and other minorities - than a black in the White House.

I've always felt - poverty breeds poverty, crime breeds crime, racism breeds racism etc. How do we break the cycle? Through education and environment for sure, but that's not always available for the next generation in jeopardy. That's why desegregation came to be. That's why affirmative action came to be - to somehow level the playing field for minorities. Though this action is why it doesn't work in practice in the end. It is in fact discrimination. Good intentions for sure, but these things don't always pan out the way you hoped.

But with with the advent of an Obama administration - I think things will change - just by virtue of the fact that he's there. He won't have to do anything specific. I believe attitudes towards blacks and minorities will simply change over time. Just as attitudes around the world towards the US are already changing. Just as our younger population are more increasingly tolerant - and embrace their own friends of race. Truth is - there is no majority. We are all individually part of a minority of some kind.

I always wondered what would break the ice - what would break the cycle of poverty, crime and racism? I think we'll find this is what it took. President Obama.

Of course, I could just be some left-wing idealistic whacko...

I am a white Fire Lieutenant and all I am going to say is SHAME ON THEM, ALL OF THEM. Those who hold public positions such as municipal administrators and Justices have a moral obligation to lead by example and treat all persons equally and fairly. That is offer a fair test. police it so that it is not corrupted and promote the best candidate no matter what race or sex they are. See it's that simple. The one who displayed the ability to have the most knowledge applicable to the job--Common sense tells us that is the one who would most likely make the best decisions while performing there duties.

This issue is so easily solved I don't understand why they make so hard on them selves. As it applies to the Fire service, life and death decisions are made by firefighters in a moments notice and therefore lies another reason to justify promoting the highest scoring candidate. As current infrastructures are, there is a monopoly on the trade as you can not choose from one or another when you call us. Shouldn't you get the best?

Discrimination is an ugly disease that infects every bit of our society. Countless tax dollars and resources are expended every day because of it. Productivity is compromised and most importantly, those who have had to endure the receiving end of it will carry the sociological scars for ever.

I spent a year and a half defending my self from a false claim and when I stood up and said I am not going to take this, our administration retaliated against me. I was harrassed, discriminated against, lied to while others recieved preferential treatment. In the process they violated many state and federal labor laws. This was unbelievable to experience as they really thought they were above the law. After extensive research, attorney intervention and going through a process I was finally exonerated from it all but I will never view this job the same nor has my life been the same since.

I am a white Fire Lieutenant and all I am going to say is SHAME ON THEM, ALL OF THEM. Those who hold public positions such as municipal administrators and Justices have a moral obligation to lead by example and treat all persons equally and fairly. That is offer a fair test. police it so that it is not corrupted and promote the best candidate no matter what race or sex they are. See it's that simple. The one who displayed the ability to have the most knowledge applicable to the job--Common sense tells us that is the one who would most likely make the best decisions while performing there duties.

This issue is so easily solved I don't understand why they make so hard on them selves. As it applies to the Fire service, life and death decisions are made by firefighters in a moments notice and therefore lies another reason to justify promoting the highest scoring candidate. As current infrastructures are, there is a monopoly on the trade as you can not choose from one or another when you call us. Shouldn't you get the best?

Discrimination is an ugly disease that infects every bit of our society. Countless tax dollars and resources are expended every day because of it. Productivity is compromised and most importantly, those who have had to endure the receiving end of it will carry the sociological scars for ever.

I spent a year and a half defending my self from a false claim and when I stood up and said I am not going to take this, our administration retaliated against me. I was harrassed, discriminated against, lied to while others recieved preferential treatment. In the process they violated many state and federal labor laws. This was unbelievable to experience as they really thought they were above the law. After extensive research, attorney intervention and going through a process I was finally exonerated from it all but I will never view this job the same nor has my life been the same since.

You spoke two key words in your post that seems alot of people do not use anymore "COMMON SENSE"

I'm a firefighter, also. I too was passed over for promotion because I am a white male. A law suit was filed against the city, and we won. The FF's that were passed over were promoted and received some cash. So what did the city do? They changed the testing procedure. Now it's not just a written test, but half written and half oral. So now, if certain individuals don't score well on the written portion, they have been known to move up on the list as many as 40 to 50 slots after the oral. Go figure. Just another affirmative action work around.

I'm a firefighter, also. I too was passed over for promotion because I am a white male. A law suit was filed against the city, and we won. The FF's that were passed over were promoted and received some cash. So what did the city do? They changed the testing procedure. Now it's not just a written test, but half written and half oral. So now, if certain individuals don't score well on the written portion, they have been known to move up on the list as many as 40 to 50 slots after the oral. Go figure. Just another affirmative action work around.

There have been several law suits won by those who were discriminated against or passed over. Many are beat down or it's drug out and then they just settle. Sadly, those who supported this action are usually no longer in office or have moved on to positions elsewhere. It's not there money any way so it doesn't cost them a dime. This will not change until we can hold them personally accountable. No matter how you test candidates, they say they met the minimum qualifications to hold the position and or making a subjective interview process so that you can pad the scores of certain candidates as to make the final out come is wrong.

I experienced "reverse discrimination" when I was not hired by the Kansas City, MO Police Department in 1981 because I'm white, and they needed minorities to fill quotas. Yes, they were bold enough to tell me why I wasn't hired. In 2001, I was fired from a job after my boss' boss found out that I was legally disabled and needed minor accommodations at work. The company hid their discrimination behind the "At Will" laws of the state. In the past eight years I known of several women and blacks who were also discriminated against while the company hid behind the "At Will" laws. This is why I'm not a fan of such laws, for IMHO the government's highest priority is to protect its citizens; not businesses.

Discrimination is rampant in this country. It comes in many forms other than just sex, race, and color, but a lot of it is accepted. How many of you know of someone who was denied a job or promotion because they were fat, or not pretty or handsome?

IMO, affirmative action contributes to the very thing it's supposed to prevent. It breeds resentment towards others as well as stupid laws to circumvent it. Enough with excuses. People should be hired, promoted, or teminated based only on their ability to do the job, and the only way I can see that happening is shielding the decision maker from irrelevant information such as race, color, sex, etc.

Archived