TEAM SHELBY FORUM

AmyB Gives Shelby Dodge Cars Top Billing In Current Car & Driver Magazine

In the January 2009 issue of Car&Driver magazine there is a small article in the news section on how Shelby & SAAC buried the hatchet.

From the article:

"Everybod's happy", Boylan said, and the SAAC and Team Shelby are coexisting in harmony. Boylan characterized the two as having different missions: The SAAC is the official registry of vintage Cobra models while Team Shelby is more inclusive, embracing not only vintage cars but Shelby Dodge products, the Oldsmobile-powered Series 1 cars, Ford GT owners and of course, newer Ford Mustang Shelby customers.

Thanks Amy for thinking about us. Its great to no longer be the red headed stepchild in the Shelby community. We Dodge enthusiasts graciously pass that title onto the Series 1 owners. Just a joke, well maybe not.

Steve

there are different Shelby clubs that never were together on anything. Because the SAAC is a Ford club and the SDAC in a Mopar club. Teamshelby is a Shelby club, the first of its kind. Some like to think otherwise but the vice press of our SDAC emailed my dad and told him there is no difference between a 89 CSX and a Shadow. A couple years ago SDAC combined with the SRT 4 club for a larger meet. If SAAC and SDAC were to combined I would be parking my numbered cars between a Ford Ranger and a town and county wagon lol. Teamshelby show real promiss, I'm paid up 2 years !

I have been and will continue to praise and support Team Shelby for their promotion of fellowship between all of Carrolls' creations :woot: , but it still chaps me a bit that you can go to a SAAC event with an Olds powered Shelby but not a Dodge powered Shelby :redcard: . I would like the opportunity to show the 40 year old Shelby's what a well built 20 year old Shelby can do on the track :glare:

Alan

I have been and will continue to praise and support Team Shelby for their promotion of fellowship between all of Carrolls' creations :woot: , but it still chaps me a bit that you can go to a SAAC event with an Olds powered Shelby but not a Dodge powered Shelby :redcard: . I would like the opportunity to show the 40 year old Shelby's what a well built 20 year old Shelby can do on the track :glare:

Alan

Stoked

Unless things have changed under SAAC's new leadership the Series 1 is not allowed to participate either. I believe their motto is Ford powered although I've seen Korean powered re-badged Fords on the track before.

Keep in mind that although Team Shelby is just a year old we are the largest Shelby club out there. Pretty impressive start and the future only looks brighter. My guess is that we will continue to attract members/owners of the 1960's cars. I know a lot of them are lurkers right now but after events like Terlingua they are realizing what they are missing out on.

On a related note it is probably the current generation of Shelby owners that will show an interest in the Shelby Dodge cars. This past year they have shown a great interest in the Dodge cars at the various TS events. Heck even the few times I've gotten AmyB out looking at Carroll's Dodge collection Amy has been impressed on how much work/change went into the Dodge cars. Next step is to get her driving a few of them.

I also believe it will be the Dodge owners that cross over into the current generation of Shelby's. The 2005-08 Shelby Mustangs are a darn good car. Until recently I've been out of the Mustangs since the 1980's Fox bodies and all I can say is that the current Mustang is light years ahead. You saw what we could do with the Hertz rentals last January. Not bad for a heavy car with cheap gasoline.

So stay the course. We'll get you some 60's iron to go against, I promise.

Steve

To Alan's comment I would add; any event that bills itself as a "Team Shelby Nationals" event should include any Shelby powered car. That said, there is no need to repeat the whole discussion. I think all the players know the positions. I'd also like to thank Team Shelby for allowing us Shelby Dodge enthusiast to come out and have some fun with the other Shelby's at new and exciting venues.

To Alan's comment I would add; any event that bills itself as a "Team Shelby Nationals" event should include any Shelby powered car. That said, there is no need to repeat the whole discussion. I think all the players know the positions. I'd also like to thank Team Shelby for allowing us Shelby Dodge enthusiast to come out and have some fun with the other Shelby's at new and exciting venues.

James

Your and Alans position is not been ignored its just that in some areas change is a slow process. The Mid-America/ Team Shelby Nationals is still largely a Mid-America meet run by the same folks that have run it for many years. Until we can show them that there is a large enough group of Shelby Dodge cars or Series 1 cars wanting to attend I'm afraid they don't see the benefit of including us. Yet.

Again that doesn't mean it can't change in the future. For example the Vegas Bash next month is going to consist of something like 15% of Shelby Dodge cars. That is a significant increase from last year and shows Shelby Autos that there are Shelby Dodge enthusiasts out there willing to step up to the plate. Like last year there will be some Mid-America reps at the Vegas bash and perhaps they will see that the Shelby Dodge cars fit right in the overall picture.

I do wish that FWD-P could attend the Vegas event but I certainly understand why you can't. Your continued support of Team Shelby is greatly appreciated and hope to see you at future events.

Steve

James

Your and Alans position is not been ignored its just that in some areas change is a slow process. The Mid-America/ Team Shelby Nationals is still largely a Mid-America meet run by the same folks that have run it for many years. Until we can show them that there is a large enough group of Shelby Dodge cars or Series 1 cars wanting to attend I'm afraid they don't see the benefit of including us. Yet.

Again that doesn't mean it can't change in the future. For example the Vegas Bash next month is going to consist of something like 15% of Shelby Dodge cars. That is a significant increase from last year and shows Shelby Autos that there are Shelby Dodge enthusiasts out there willing to step up to the plate. Like last year there will be some Mid-America reps at the Vegas bash and perhaps they will see that the Shelby Dodge cars fit right in the overall picture.

I do wish that FWD-P could attend the Vegas event but I certainly understand why you can't. Your continued support of Team Shelby is greatly appreciated and hope to see you at future events.

Steve

Well patience has never been one of my strong points. It’s a little difficult to fathom that more cars won't equate to more money and a better event. I suppose there are some idiotic folks who threaten to pull support if a Shelby Dodge is allowed. Then there are those afraid of being spanked by a turbo 4cly. FWD car. I do appreciate your comments and I have taken a wait and see attitude toward the whole thing. With Team Shelby offering so many opportunities, it is virtually a non-issue....the principle of the matter not withstanding.

I may in fact make it to the Vegas Bash albeit without a car. :cry: Perhaps I’ll get an opportunity to drive a new Shelby Mustang or ride along with someone else. :drool: Either way it would be worth the trip just to visit the Museum.

Well patience has never been one of my strong points. It’s a little difficult to fathom that more cars won't equate to more money and a better event. I suppose there are some idiotic folks who threaten to pull support if a Shelby Dodge is allowed. Then there are those afraid of being spanked by a turbo 4cly. FWD car. I do appreciate your comments and I have taken a wait and see attitude toward the whole thing. With Team Shelby offering so many opportunities, it is virtually a non-issue....the principle of the matter not withstanding.

I may in fact make it to the Vegas Bash albeit without a car. :cry: Perhaps I’ll get an opportunity to drive a new Shelby Mustang or ride along with someone else. :drool: Either way it would be worth the trip just to visit the Museum.

James

I'm sure we can find a passenger seat for you for the run from Gardena to Vegas on Thursday January 8th. If you can arange your schedule I'll do what I can to help.

Steve

James

I'm sure we can find a passenger seat for you for the run from Gardena to Vegas on Thursday January 8th. If you can arange your schedule I'll do what I can to help.

Steve

That would be really cool. However, as it stands the best I can do is arrive Friday evening. I just revised all of my business travel arrangements to accommodate the weekend. I'll be there but without a Shelby. I will be arriving Friday evening hopefully in time for the party.

That would be really cool. However, as it stands the best I can do is arrive Friday evening. I just revised all of my business travel arrangements to accommodate the weekend. I'll be there but without a Shelby. I will be arriving Friday evening hopefully in time for the party.

Woohoo :party2:

Glad you're going to make it.

Steve

I just joined up today. First post here. It is very nice to see the Shelby guys accept each other.

BTW, James, your prototype CSX is in the latest issue of Hot Rod. Pretty cool although they call it a GLHS. Steve, where have you been lately? I haven't seen you on T-M.com in a while.

I just joined up today. First post here. It is very nice to see the Shelby guys accept each other.

BTW, James, your prototype CSX is in the latest issue of Hot Rod. Pretty cool although they call it a GLHS. Steve, where have you been lately? I haven't seen you on T-M.com in a while.

Hey Kevin glad you found us and welcome to the Team Shelby forums. I've been busy this last year working with the great folks here at Shelby Automobiles and Team Shelby. You'll have to post some pics of your Shelby Charger for the folks who haven't seen it before.

And yes James and Cindy have been getting some great exposure for their rare prototype and of course Team Shelby. Their B-day car is also shown in the latest Shelby Annual magazine available right now on news stands or if you join Club Team Shelby you get a copy of this annual in your membership package.

Steve

Shelby used to do an autocross years ago. Which is a lot cheaper and easier than a full track day. Are they planning to have autoX again? It would also get people into "weekly" racing, not just expensive track racing.

Shelby used to do an autocross years ago. Which is a lot cheaper and easier than a full track day. Are they planning to have autoX again? It would also get people into "weekly" racing, not just expensive track racing.
The difficulty with an autocross event is that it is next to impossible to do one without SCCA involvement. For the past few years we have tried to get the SCCA in various regions to help us out in that area. But the last time we were able to get their cooperation was at SDAC-13 in 2003. Having the SCCA approve the site and help organize (and run) the event allows us to get discounted insurance rates through them. If we do any track event or autocross on our own we pay full price for insurance and that alone makes an autocross too expensive for SDAC to hold. But even with the SCCA's help at SDAC-13, we went in the tank on the event as there just was not enough interest from our membership to pay the cost of renting the site. We had about 30 drivers, we needed about 70 to break even.

The difficulty with an autocross event is that it is next to impossible to do one without SCCA involvement. For the past few years we have tried to get the SCCA in various regions to help us out in that area. But the last time we were able to get their cooperation was at SDAC-13 in 2003. Having the SCCA approve the site and help organize (and run) the event allows us to get discounted insurance rates through them. If we do any track event or autocross on our own we pay full price for insurance and that alone makes an autocross too expensive for SDAC to hold. But even with the SCCA's help at SDAC-13, we went in the tank on the event as there just was not enough interest from our membership to pay the cost of renting the site. We had about 30 drivers, we needed about 70 to break even.

Check out a NASA autocross group. Less of a pain in the ass. Dayton Ohio group have been asked to go to Indy to do autocross for Winged Warriors at IRP.

Check out a NASA autocross group. Less of a pain in the ass. Dayton Ohio group have been asked to go to Indy to do autocross for Winged Warriors at IRP.

Since we will be in Cincy this coming year, maybe the Dayton group can help us there. I'll see what we can find out.

Thanks for the tip!

Just saw that pic this weekend. Calling the B-day car a GLHS is just too funny but hey none the less its in another magazine getting some exposure.

I guess SWBstudios was hanging out with the Cobras as I don't see his 1986 S car in the pic.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking about the Shelby get together on the west coast, not the east coast SDAC events. The autocross group in Vegas even gets to race at Nellis AFB twice a year. Those guys really have it together, 4 cars on the track at once and moving like clock work. Makes the PNW SCCA look like a bunch of clowns. Really enjoyed the Vegas group. I wonder what it would take to have them drop by the Shelby lot?

• 2 weeks later...

Alan

Alan been there done that, SAAC meet roadway 1987, open track event Shelby Dodges were quick and kept up with thier Fords, ( iown a couple 60 Shelbys and a new GT BUT I still love my 87 GLHS ) we we never invited back again, I tried to expain that they are Shelbys and that was when SDAC was being run by Kopec from SAAC did no good started doing things with Mopar club. I think I will bring my GLHS out of storage this year and enjoy it again it only has 4000 miles on it Bruce

Nice Bruce! I thought mine was low mileage at 40,000 miles. If you get around to showing some pics at some point, that would be fine with me...

Alan

Alan, I stored car in 1989 when Army started to move me around again, was started every couple months, the only problem I had was front brake caliper. I was very lucky to tour Whitter plant twice in the 80s one time during *& GLHS production and the other was when they were making 88 Shelbys. I became very good friends with the PR person Pete Mills provided me with press kits on each cars , sales flyers, and factory slides. I toured Vegas during 2007 production and was told no photos, I have nice photos of GLHS and Shelby CSX production, it was a fun time had a large club in WI from 86-89, sadly club fell apart when Army moved me, My car is stock and everything works, no mods oringinal tires and battery, though the battery is kaput but I kept it. I have lots of road test I will try to list and provide copies. Bruce

• 3 weeks later...
Alan, I stored car in 1989 when Army started to move me around again, was started every couple months, the only problem I had was front brake caliper. I was very lucky to tour Whitter plant twice in the 80s one time during *& GLHS production and the other was when they were making 88 Shelbys. I became very good friends with the PR person Pete Mills provided me with press kits on each cars , sales flyers, and factory slides. I toured Vegas during 2007 production and was told no photos, I have nice photos of GLHS and Shelby CSX production, it was a fun time had a large club in WI from 86-89, sadly club fell apart when Army moved me, My car is stock and everything works, no mods oringinal tires and battery, though the battery is kaput but I kept it. I have lots of road test I will try to list and provide copies. Bruce

I would love to see pics of anything you have!! sounds amazing! :drool:

Archived