TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for Some Guidance & Advice

AKA-SHLB

I purchased my SGT in Feb 08 and attended my first ever open track event at Willow Springs this past October. Next to my kids being born it was the most amazing experience of my life and I really would like to attend more of these events maybe even work up to some amateur road racing.

Here's my problem, I have no idea where to start or what to do or even what tracks to consider. I live in the LA area and don't know anyone with any experience in road racing. The closest I came was a business associate who suggested I start with cart racing but that doesn't really interest me.

Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased my SGT in Feb 08 and attended my first ever open track event at Willow Springs this past October. Next to my kids being born it was the most amazing experience of my life and I really would like to attend more of these events maybe even work up to some amateur road racing.

Here's my problem, I have no idea where to start or what to do or even what tracks to consider. I live in the LA area and don't know anyone with any experience in road racing. The closest I came was a business associate who suggested I start with cart racing but that doesn't really interest me.

Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You MIGHT want to try some SOLO racing. Little chance of damaging your car (only cones) - and its challenging for sure.

Heres a good place to start - http://www.solo2.com/

Page

Look for HPDE's in your area that offer instruction. Best bet is going to be looking for the area SVT clubs because most SVT Clubs put on the HPDE's that will be attuned to the Mustang. Barring that, look to do a driving school. Skip Barber and Miller Motorsports both have good driving schools where you will get a crash course in road racing. You'll learn essential skills and practice methods to continue your driving skills. I'm doing the Miller Motorsports school next year using the Mustang Challange cars. I expect day one to be pretty dull for me, but the second and third days should be fun.

Thank you for all the great advice, where before I had no direction now I am overwhelmed. I've been doing a lot of research based on the information and now I have about 6 sites to read through.

Sounds like a driving school and then following the event calendars at Willow Springs, Button Springs and California Speedway is going to be the way to start. If I missed any tracks in the LA area please let me know.

There seems to be several associations that maybe I should join, such as NASA and SCCA, but I still need to do more research. If there are others or any suggestions as to which if any I should join I would appreciate your input.

Mark

Archived