TEAM SHELBY FORUM

IL Gov. Rod Blagojevich charged with conspiracy

CHICAGO (Reuters) – Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery on Tuesday, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said in a statement.

The 51-year-old Democrat was charged along with John Harris, his chief of staff, on the charges related to Blagojevich's role in picking a U.S. Senate successor for President-elect Barack Obama and obtaining campaign contributions in exchange for official actions, the statement said.

In Illinois, the governor selects a successor when there is a mid-term Senate vacancy. Obama resigned from the Senate soon after winning the November 4 presidential election.

The Chicago Tribune on Friday had reported that Blagojevich's conversations had been recorded as part of the investigation.

It quoted Blagojevich as saying on Monday "whether you tape me privately or publicly, I can tell you that whatever I say is always lawful and the things I'm interested in are always lawful."

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNew...T01061220081209

I think in the end, Obama and his staff will come off looking just fine. Guilt by association doesn't work here - they're clearly vindicated on tape. The Republicans trying to make hay out of this will come to regret their efforts. And Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia, the new GOP House whip - will be the next to be voted out by Virginians.

I think in the end, Obama and his staff will come off looking just fine. Guilt by association doesn't work here - they're clearly vindicated on tape. The Republicans trying to make hay out of this will come to regret their efforts. And Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia, the new GOP House whip - will be the next to be voted out by Virginians.

Who's trying to blame Obama? Clearly, he's had nothing to do with this.

Read Sharabi's link...there will be more of this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081210/ap_on_...vernor_analysis

"Obama isn't accused of anything" is stated up front, but I agree some will try to tie him in with it. Unfortunately, that's all politics seem to be about these days, but I think it's obvious to most that Obama had nothing to do with it. I'd only be interested if Obama or his staff knew the Governor was doing this crap, and didn't bother to report it.

"Obama isn't accused of anything" is stated up front, but I agree some will try to tie him in with it. Unfortunately, that's all politics seem to be about these days, but I think it's obvious to most that Obama had nothing to do with it. I'd only be interested if Obama or his staff knew the Governor was doing this crap, and didn't bother to report it.

You did read the whole article?

You did read the whole article?

No, I stopped at the first sentence that clearly said Obama wasn't to blame, because I understood you to mean that the article was blaming Obama.

I agree that some people will do whatever it takes to stretch a connection to Obama, but most people will see it for what it is.

No, I stopped at the first sentence that clearly said Obama wasn't to blame, because I understood you to mean that the article was blaming Obama.

I agree that some people will do whatever it takes to stretch a connection to Obama, but most people will see it for what it is.

You should read it all, there will be more of this to come.

The entire truth will come out and I believe nothing will stick to Obama...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/10...ties-spotlight/

I find these passages interesting.

"But there are clearly some uncomfortable questions for Obama. Asked Tuesday in Chicago whether he had been in contact with Blagojevich about the job, Obama said, "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening."

But Axelrod said on Chicago television Nov. 23 that the two had spoken. Asked if Obama had expressed a preference, Axelrod said he had not, but also said: "I know he's talked to the governor. And...there are a whole range of names, many of which have surfaced, and he's, I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

On Tuesday, Axelrod said: "I was mistaken when I told an interviewer last month that the president-elect has spoken directly to Gov. Blagojevich about the Senate vacancy. They did not then or at any time discuss the subject."

Well, I finally had time to read the whole article, and it appears to be the typical political bull sh!t: therefore, I'll see nothing in it until evidence is produced to indicate otherwise. I expect the Republican Party to attack. That's what both sides do when they're out of power. Hell, the Democrats have been doing it for a decade.

I think most people see politics for what it is, and they feel the same way. As I said, if Obama remains centrist and no evidence of a crime is supported, then I'm not worried about him.

Archived