TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Snub'ed my Shelby owners forum...

MYGT500

Guys, I'm not Amy--nor can I speak for her-- but I think you misunderstood the meaning of that communication (not that I know for sure):

The Forum was for Shelby American's Shelby Owner's Forum, meaning they would be discussing the cars produced there (Cobra 427, GT-H, Shelby GT, etc), and not the Shelby GT500, so the discussions (technical and otherwise) would not be relevant to that car.

What I do know for sure is that the GT500s will be in the Shelby American Registry as Shelbys. Whether or not they internally differentiate is anyone's guess.

Personally, I don't give a crap. Any great car will stand on its merits over time, not the tag on the back. That's what makes legends.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, enough!

My appologies for not answering sooner, but I have been out with a family illness.....

The GT500 is a Shelby. It will be in the registry and it already has a place on the open forum. The owners forum is and was only for Cobra's. Cobra's built by Shelby. It doesn't even have the mustangs built by Shelby in the 60's. This forum is mostly for issues with cars that are being built and delivered by us, missing parts, update pictures , changes in production etc.... It will not have the new Shelby GT, GT-H or any other mustangs we are currently building.

When I took over we were 100+ cars behind, this forum was used for that purpose. To Inform on orders and customers and keep them in the loop.

There are many great Mustang forums, including this one! We would never, nor could we ever try to support all theShelby Mustang owners our there. We ado have an open forum for all Shelby enthusiasts as well. I hope this clarifies the issue. I am sorry if Rich or anyone at Shelby made the GT500 owners feel slighted, that is not our intention. hell, 3 of us are on order for one. Maybe in the future we will have owners forums for all the cars Carroll has built including the glh, the trucks, the mustangs, the vipers, the series1 etc, but right now a company in transition and the size of shelbyautomobiles could never support all the owners. and do a good job of it. I do agree, that maybe after the cobras are all done and we are caught up, we keep just the open forums, so no one feels hurt. I will look at this down the road.

For the record, threats and class action threats are not the way to work with me. If there are threats, I will have to stop posting on these sites. As I can not risk exposure or public postings. This responses is exactly the reasons why more management don't post on forums. I am a firm beliver in open communication. Lets please try to keep this on an open and respectful level. There are usually reasons for everything. I am here and I have email. Feel free to use it to talk to me.

Amy

Amy,

Thanks for clearing that up for us. Hope it didn't ruin your morning or make you sour on coming back from time to time? Your info carries a lot of weight & sometimes we need a dose of reality from a commander.

Hope your family Illness has a positive & healthy outcome,

God bless & Godspeed

Thanks Amy for posting.

Also on Amy's behalf there is a section on the registration forms page for the Shelby World Registry that says...

"2007 GT500 (coming soon)". :happy feet:

Thanks, I forgot about this...... when we have all the cool add ons done, we will want you to register so we can keep you updated with all the new stuff coming for the Gt500.

Amy

Thanks, I forgot about this...... when we have all the cool add ons done, we will want you to register so we can keep you updated with all the new stuff coming for the Gt500.

Amy

Amy,

Thank you for talking us all down from the clocktower. You input is much appreciated!

Clear, concise and effective communication is a fast dying art in our times. I know I always need to strive to do better (especially with my wife!). Thankyou for your patient and toughtful response Amy. I did misunderstand the reasons behind the exclusion policy. My apologies.

Also, I am DEEPLY troubled to read the implicit statement that any threats of any kind were made toward you or SA, Inc. That is very disappointing.

:shrug:

Ok, enough!

My appologies for not answering sooner, but I have been out with a family illness.....

The GT500 is a Shelby. It will be in the registry and it already has a place on the open forum. The owners forum is and was only for Cobra's. Cobra's built by Shelby. It doesn't even have the mustangs built by Shelby in the 60's. This forum is mostly for issues with cars that are being built and delivered by us, missing parts, update pictures , changes in production etc.... It will not have the new Shelby GT, GT-H or any other mustangs we are currently building.

When I took over we were 100+ cars behind, this forum was used for that purpose. To Inform on orders and customers and keep them in the loop.

There are many great Mustang forums, including this one! We would never, nor could we ever try to support all theShelby Mustang owners our there. We ado have an open forum for all Shelby enthusiasts as well. I hope this clarifies the issue. I am sorry if Rich or anyone at Shelby made the GT500 owners feel slighted, that is not our intention. hell, 3 of us are on order for one. Maybe in the future we will have owners forums for all the cars Carroll has built including the glh, the trucks, the mustangs, the vipers, the series1 etc, but right now a company in transition and the size of shelbyautomobiles could never support all the owners. and do a good job of it. I do agree, that maybe after the cobras are all done and we are caught up, we keep just the open forums, so no one feels hurt. I will look at this down the road.

On another note, we will be making some cool stuff for these cars, The GT500 is a terrific car and we plan on doing some great additions for it.

For the record, threats and class action threats are not the way to work with me. If there are threats, I will have to stop posting on these sites. As I can not risk exposure or public postings. This responses is exactly the reasons why more management don't post on forums. I am a firm beliver in open communication. Lets please try to keep this on an open and respectful level. There are usually reasons for everything. I am here and I have email. Feel free to use it to talk to me.

Amy

President, Shelby Automobiles

You are an asset to your organization and I have nothing but respect for you coming out in pblic to address issues, concerns, ans share in the excitement. Clearly a mis communication but none the less a rather large one that should be addressed since more than likely others will try to do the same thing and something a little softer and/or with the info provided here would be a good thing to have in that communication as a rule. I hate seeing the ADM charged already but if Shelby was not going to recognize this car then i would really have an issue with it. I'm glad to see it is nothing more serious than a communication issue and can't say enough about you adressing it personally. More corporate leaders should have the same approach...perhaps who that may be would be another good debate

thanks Amy; I agree with Sprint200; I am very disappointed anyone implied or threatened legal action. The vast majority of us are reasonable people with a passion for Shelby and his cars.

Amy...I was the orginal poster of the thread,and the one who received the letter from SA. Thanks for responding so fast and clearing up the questions asked. I think I speak for many of us,that we are excited to be included in the Shelby family heritage,and equally excited about the prospect of Shelby Automobiles upgrades for our cars. Please post in this forum when more info becomes available.

:shrug:

You are an asset to your organization and I have nothing but respect for you coming out in pblic to address issues, concerns, ans share in the excitement. Clearly a mis communication but none the less a rather large one that should be addressed since more than likely others will try to do the same thing and something a little softer and/or with the info provided here would be a good thing to have in that communication as a rule. I hate seeing the ADM charged already but if Shelby was not going to recognize this car then i would really have an issue with it. I'm glad to see it is nothing more serious than a communication issue and can't say enough about you adressing it personally. More corporate leaders should have the same approach...perhaps who that may be would be another good debate

Thank you. There needs to be patients. This was already sent to Ford. My staff had to deal with that as well. No good comes from losing control. There are usually reasons why something is said or there is a misunderstanding.

The Shelby Gt500 is a great car. all of you who own or are buying one, should be very proud! I know I will be. This made at shelby/not made at shelby is not a debate worth having. The Gt500 will be in the registry so regardless of where it is made, it is a shelby, period. Carroll's name is on it, it's a Shelby. We are making parts for it, it's a Shelby.

And, I "was" a born and raised Chevy Girl and I have one on order.... you can bet I think it's a Shelby too! ;)

Take care, feel free to email me, I will respond as soon as I can

Amy

2e3a80n.jpg

Does anyone else find this hilarious? :hysterical:

I don't find it "hysterical", Like Carroll Shlby said at the time, If you can't build a faster car in 1986 than in 1966, with twenty years more technology, somethings wrong. the 1987 Shelby GLHS was the second fastest American made production car in 1987, the only quicker car was the Buick Grand National. It was faster than 5.0 Mustangs and Vettes.

We have an '87 GLHS, it sits next to our '67 GT500 and hopefully next to our '07 GT500 in a couple months. The GLHS ia a blast to drive, but boy do I take alot of crap about it from my Ford buddies! You should hear some of the things they tell me the GLHS stands for! And guess what - it has a Shelby tag on the dash with a vehicle specific production # on it!

Thank you. There needs to be patients. This was already sent to Ford. My staff had to deal with that as well. No good comes from losing control. There are usually reasons why something is said or there is a misunderstanding.

The Shelby Gt500 is a great car. all of you who own or are buying one, should be very proud! I know I will be. This made at shelby/not made at shelby is not a debate worth having. The Gt500 will be in the registry so regardless of where it is made, it is a shelby, period. Carroll's name is on it, it's a Shelby. We are making parts for it, it's a Shelby.

And, I "was" a born and raised Chevy Girl and I have one on order.... you can bet I think it's a Shelby too! ;)

Amy

Damn....a company that cares.....what a concept....Thanks a million :happy feet:

A superior example of what the CEO's REAL job is and the good things that come from promt and decisive answers to customers(potential in this case) issues. Not sitting in meetings hashing out things for which they have other people better trained and equiped for, but CUSTOMER/Shareholder relations. Thanks Amy, and could you pass that up the chain to Ford when you see them in Vegas for us please. :roses::party:

I don't find it "hysterical", Like Carroll Shlby said at the time, If you can't build a faster car in 1986 than in 1966, with twenty years more technology, somethings wrong. the 1987 Shelby GLHS was the second fastest American made production car in 1987, the only quicker car was the Buick Grand National. It was faster than 5.0 Mustangs and Vettes.

We have an '87 GLHS, it sits next to our '67 GT500 and hopefully next to our '07 GT500 in a couple months. The GLHS ia a blast to drive, but boy do I take alot of crap about it from my Ford buddies! You should hear some of the things they tell me the GLHS stands for! And guess what - it has a Shelby tag on the dash with a vehicle specific production # on it!

No offense meant to the car, just giving a little bit of that "crap" you get from your Ford buddies. I've always been a Mustang die hard, and I'm glad to see Shelby back on the home team, that's all.

Ok, I normally don't input too much on topics like this, but I'll give it a shot.

I think we, as a group, need to be a bit less defensive whenever we hear something we don't like. We tend to jump to conclusions and think the worst possible without first finding out the facts. As you can see, in this case, it has tarnished our reputation....and now we'll have to rebuild that reputation.

I fully understand Rick's comments. Their FORUM (not registry) is designed to help the customers that bought directly from them...and this is admirable. They are doing for their customers the same things we all would like Ford to do better for us (help us track our orders and any delays). How would we feel if Ford had a GT500 forum to help us track our orders, then let Mazda owners on it to request info? (that may not be the best comparison, but you get the point)

Saying people are on drugs or threatening lawsuits does not benefit our standing as a site. Sometimes lawsuits are necessary, but only as a last resort under extreme circumstances, and that's not something we should be discussing upon someone's first posting.

I vote that we all exercise a bit more patience and caution with information...especially information that is apparently detrimental to us. We've seen too many of these things come and go...

1) Remember the crank snout breaking photos that had us all worried? We found out those were very old photos from a pre-production prototype.

2) Remember the news articles about consolidating dealerships? Some people were worried their orders would fall through. (I do recall one dealer going out of business, but the customer's order was transferred fine).

3) Remember the oil pipeline issue a few months ago, and several people on this forum said gas would go to $5 a gallon within weeks?

4) Remember mention of the quality holds? Some people thought they'd stop all shipments and we'd never get our cars? Perhaps they did hold shipments temporarily, but not enough to cause the mass hysteria that some were anticipating.

These are just a few of the cases where we got worked up about things that ended up being nothing. Let's not continue to play into that mentality. A better approach would be to attempt to get more information prior to all the ranting. My dad taught me "Seek first to understand, then to be understood"....good advice.

I like this site, and want to keep it vibrant, informational, and well-respected. We have been through some tough circumstances before, and the site over the past month has been much more fun for me. Let's keep working to make it even better. Given the great group of people we now have, I'm confident we can do it.

Dave

Edit: added my dad's quote.

Ok, I normally don't input too much on topics like this, but I'll give it a shot.

I think we, as a group, need to be a bit less defensive whenever we hear something we don't like. We tend to jump to conclusions and think the worst possible without first finding out the facts. As you can see, in this case, it has tarnished our reputation....and now we'll have to rebuild that reputation.

I fully understand Rick's comments. Their FORUM (not registry) is designed to help the customers that bought directly from them...and this is admirable. They are doing for their customers the same things we all would like Ford to do better for us (help us track our orders and any delays). How would we feel if Ford had a GT500 forum to help us track our orders, then let Mazda owners on it to request info? (that may not be the best comparison, but you get the point)

Saying people are on drugs or threatening lawsuits does not benefit our standing as a site. Sometimes lawsuits are necessary, but only as a last resort under extreme circumstances, and that's not something we should be discussing upon someone's first posting.

I vote that we all exercise a bit more patience and caution with information...especially information that is apparently detrimental to us. We've seen too many of these things come and go...

1) Remember the crank snout breaking photos that had us all worried? We found out those were very old photos from a pre-production prototype.

2) Remember the news articles about consolidating dealerships? Some people were worried their orders would fall through. (I do recall one dealer going out of business, but the customer's order was transferred fine).

3) Remember the oil pipeline issue a few months ago, and several people on this forum said gas would go to $5 a gallon within weeks?

4) Remember mention of the quality holds? Some people thought they'd stop all shipments and we'd never get our cars? Perhaps they did hold shipments temporarily, but not enough to cause the mass hysteria that some were anticipating.

These are just a few of the cases where we got worked up about things that ended up being nothing. Let's not continue to play into that mentality. A better approach would be to attempt to get more information prior to all the ranting. My dad taught me "Seek first to understand, then to be understood"....good advice.

I like this site, and want to keep it vibrant, informational, and well-respected. We have been through some tough circumstances before, and the site over the past month has been much more fun for me. Let's keep working to make it even better. Given the great group of people we now have, I'm confident we can do it.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for this response--very well said. Amy, I am likewise impressed with your prompt and honest response.

CC

Dave

You are a very level headed guy. You had it under control the entire time. This is evident in your post #28. Dave for President :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Dave

Thanks Dave and the rest, The bottom line is that we will always try to do the right thing, if we screw up, we will apologize, if we see something differently then the masses, we will listen and discuss and work it out. My being on this site and 2 others is to help keep you informed. It's to keep the passion going in the dry times. It's to be part of the community that loves and respects Shelby as we all do.

That said, today was a bad day, for all of you who got worked up and for us. Ford was very disappointed in us as well as they should have been, but this is exactly why Corporations don't post. If things get out of hand, and we can't contain it, I will be forced to stop posting. I think that would be a terrible thing, but I can not argue the validity of threats with Carroll, Ford or my management team and Legal. getting to that level is not reversable.

That said, all is ok today and as I said, PM me, email me, whatever, just lets keep it civil.

Amy

No offense meant to the car, just giving a little bit of that "crap" you get from your Ford buddies. I've always been a Mustang die hard, and I'm glad to see Shelby back on the home team, that's all.

No offense taken. I actually get a kick out of the crap I get from my Ford buddies, and I admit I bring some of it on myself. Like the time I showed up with vanity tags on the GLHS that simply read: SHELBY. I thought my buddy Gary, who has a '68 GT500 was gonna kill me! I actually got them for our '67, but couldn't resist running them on the GLHS for a while. I really do enjoy driving the GLHS, but it's not half the car as a Fox Body Mustang, however it did what it was intended to do - go faster than most the other cars produced at the time.

Thanks Dave and the rest, The bottom line is that we will always try to do the right thing, if we screw up, we will apologize, if we see something differently then the masses, we will listen and discuss and work it out. My being on this site and 2 others is to help keep you informed. It's to keep the passion going in the dry times. It's to be part of the community that loves and respects Shelby as we all do.

That said, today was a bad day, for all of you who got worked up and for us. Ford was very disappointed in us as well as they should have been, but this is exactly why Corporations don't post. If things get out of hand, and we can't contain it, I will be forced to stop posting. I think that would be a terrible thing, but I can not argue the validity of threats with Carroll, Ford or my management team and Legal. getting to that level is not reversable.

That said, all is ok today and as I said, PM me, email me, whatever, just lets keep it civil.

Amy

I had to search all the way through this thread to figure out what you were talking about regarding threats of legal action. Found it. Pay no attention. He wears a thong.

Yes, you take certain risks by participating on boards...and for the fact that you do so I am grateful.

If nothing else, your employee learned a valuable lesson in public relations and (as if you didn't know this) you confirmed that Shelby passion runs higher than every before. "Great" doesn't come without some risk and fallout.

I hope we'll see some updates from SEMA.

Be well-

bj

I'm glad this situation has been brought under control.

(1) It showed just how much this car means to all of us (being a Shelby)

(2) It showed Shelby Automotive that it deserves more respect than some over there were giving it.(or apeared to )

(3) It showed that Ford is just as concerned ,or more ,about the relationship with Shelby as we are.

(4)It will in the end have a positive affect on our relationship and comunication with Shelby Automotive

(5) Last but not least maybe cause all of us to wait for all the facts before making any judgements about any given situation.

Communication is the key which is why this forum is so valuable to all of us . I for one am glad this has been resolved.

Eph 4:26 let not the sun go down upon your wrath.

Pay no attention - he wears a thong?

Oh - very appropriate. Very mature.

A class action can very often get someone's attention - and results.

Wasn't that the point of this thread? Did that happen?

You have a problem with what I said? Tell me about it.

Don't patronize me.

And - by the way - I've got your thong right here.

Edit: here's my quote: "A class action may be called for. Or at least a formal boycott."

That, my ignorant brother, is not a threat. Learn the language, you hear?

Hey Rich,

Ford has already pissed off a ton of people with history's best example of misinformation, but customers stood firm (and many paid significantly extra) on this car because of the name. So, for you to now dub it as nothing more than a FORD, is a serious PR error and a punch in the gut to everyone that invested their money on the man whose name is on your paycheck.

If this were nothing but another SVT vehicle (I know...many of you will argue with me...but those of you who do probably don't have one in your garage) I'd never have gone through the BS I did to get it. I did it because of your boss' history, his contribution to automotive heritage, and the pride in having a car with HIS name on it.....one that whether you personally built in Vegas or not, HE endorsed and is making money (as are you!) from it's being marketed that way.

I've had heritage GT500 owners berate my car at shows because it wasn't a "real Shelby". You know what...there's was built by/at Ford, too! These are the same cars you say are deserving of a place in/on your precious forum. As far as I'm concerned, keep your limited access "boys club". I don't need your attitude. With the exception of very few infiltrators, THIS forum provides much desired information about the car, its owners and the other facets that make it more than a FORD.

In closing, you may want to share this little quote from someone who is probably a little further up the Shelby totem pole than yourself......

>>>>Sep 16 2006, 05:10 PM

Post #1

StangsUnleashed Member

*Group: Members

Member No.: 4,067

Got tired of this question so I put it to Amy B since I cant get in touch with Carroll himself and here is her reply. Nuff said

"Amy B can you put this to bed? What was Carrolls involvement in the 500? It gets a litte tiring hearing, its not a real Shelby. I would assume Carroll has a lot of say on what his name goes on. A lot of people here and elseware seem to thimk they have the right to say what a real Shelby is. I would argue that there is only one person that has that right and his name is on the car."

---Agreed, the Gt500 is a great car, Bar none. It is not meant to be a corvette, it is a blvd cruiser. It does have weight, but that is due to the cast iron block. Carroll did have a hand in this car and the SVT did a brilliant job designing it and Building it with input from Carroll. There are ways to improve every car, faster , lighter, handling, etc. But make no bones about it, THIS IS A SHELBY!" The GT500 cars of the past were bigger and heavier then the GT350's. This car is a true representation of Vintage and Modern Shelby .... And for the record, Carrol is very proud of this car .----

You MAY want to give thought to purging the elitist attitude. You're right, there could be more (new) GT500 owners than all the other Shelbys combined. And, while you find that inconvenient for your forum maintenance, you'll find it to be a lot bigger PR headache in the long run.

I'm sure Mr. Shelby will be surprised to learn of such a lack of inclusion by his troops.

I wish you the best in your efforts to figure this one out.

:doh:

bj

`vnmous1 -- Well put I`am glad I read your post first as I was in the middle of writing to Rich my self I was just waiting for the smoke to clear so I could see my key board.

Just read this on SAAC site... Here is the link so you can read the entire page. See the underlined section regarding registry.

http://www.saac.com/blurb.html

In 2005 a new generation of Shelby Mustangs was unveiled. Carroll Shelby was back at work with the Ford Motor Company, and his hand prints were all over the 2007 Shelby GT500 model. The excitement these cars created was amazing... even before the first one was completed. With cars promised for summer 2006 delivery, a veritable feeding frenzy took place and Ford dealers found themselves besieged with potential buyers. Before long they were accepting orders, but only with surcharges of $10,000 to $25,000 over MSRP. Many of these buyers were already SAAC members, but those who weren't were invited to join the club and participate in its activities with this newest generation of Shelbys. Before the first car was completed SAAC was already setting up a registry so the histories of these cars could be recorded from Day One. The same thing was going on with Ford's new Ford GTs.

Carroll Shelby is not a one act play. No sooner were the details finalized on the new GT500s then Shelby and Ford announced they would be teaming up with Hertz to provide that company with a black-and-gold rental version of the Shelby Mustang, called the Shelby GT-H. The 500 examples produced proved so popular that Shelby and Ford followed that up with another model, the Shelby GT - another Shelby Mustang positioned between the standard Mustang GT and the Shelby GT500. Before anyone could catch their breath, Carroll Shelby had pulled three rabbits out of his black cowboy hat and a new generation of Shelby owners was created. Each of these new models will have its own registry and its own following.

For most of us, SAAC is more than just a loose organization of owners and enthusiasts who enjoy cars produced and sold by the same manufacturer. The club is part family, part hobby, part historical archive and part refuge from the pressures of the day to day world. These cars provide the opportunity to lose yourself in the past, when high performance, horsepower and speed were unquestioned virtues. They came from a time before the suffocating blanket of government over-regulation, when bragging about zero-to-sixty times and top speeds were the coin of the realm. They start out as simple automotive diversions but quickly become a part of your life. Join us and find out what makes these cars so special.

I checked out SAAC registration forms and it appears that 1968 Shelbys and new Ford GTs can register. To the best of my knowledge neither one of these were produced in Las Vegas. Anyone know any different?

The 68` has been included in the Registry since the 80`s including the 69`&70`s

Amy

Amy:

Thanks For clearing this up. One quick question what colour did you order??

BoneDoc,

Luv your car ! same combo as mine! I don't like this policy either. Think it stinks. But it's not just this one guy. It is written policy spelled out on their website. This "attitude" goes all the way to the Top! Now is that Carroll ....or Amy? :baby:

Archived