TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Let's talk about Digital Cameras.

Ok seeing how everyone has such amazing detailed pictures on this site or just people that like to post a lot of pictures *cough*Grabber...

What are your opinions on the best, reliable, and affordable cameras out there today?

:camera:

Ok seeing how everyone has such amazing detailed pictures on this site or just people that like to post a lot of pictures *cough*Grabber...

What are your opinions on the best, reliable, and affordable cameras out there today?

:camera:

Best is not necessarily affordable. I have a Nikon D700. I've surrendered. Digital is now better than -- if not equal to film in most cases.

If you have a 35mm film camera look for something that can use your old lenses.

My F2 that I bought in 1973 or so is now a fond friend.

I took the pictures in this thread with it last night:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=37200&hl=

Best is not necessarily affordable. I have a Nikon D700. I've surrendered. Digital is now better than -- if not equal to film in most cases.

If you have a 35mm film camera look for something that can use your old lenses.

My F2 that I bought in 1973 or so is now a fond friend.

I took the pictures in this thread with it last night:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...c=37200&hl=

I still have my F2 and my F3. I miss the old days! :-( Film and developing etc., are just too damn expensive these days.

I like the name brands...Nikon then Canon. It's really first how much $$$ you want to spend. In the old days a Pro camera, like the F2 or F3 cost you $1000-$1200. Today that amount of money is a "prosumer" camera like the D90 with others going into the $5000 range. Crazy money. For a good consumer entry DSLR you're looking around $500. So I guess what I'm asking is what is your price range?

Then we can offer what's best within that.

I prefer my Minolta 35mm SLR's which unfortunately have been in storage for several years but (camera's under $200) I use a Canon A520 and it's really a good little camera. I have a Polaroid i633 at work and it's ok but it does not have a view finder nor allow me to turn off the display screen. The pictures are decent. My wife uses a cheapo Kodak something-or-other at her work and it takes nice crisp pictures.

The absolute worst digital cam's I have ever used are the HP junk. It would seem stick with a name brand and you will be ok.....

how 'bout the canon xsi and a good place to get one? What about the xs at a couple hundered bucks cheaper?

It's for the wifey to take pics of the little one. I'd like to spend $500 but if I have too.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130274215775

good deal or overkill?

great timing for this thread cuz I am really confused. Info overload.

I still have my F2 and my F3. I miss the old days! :-( Film and developing etc., are just too damn expensive these days.

I like the name brands...Nikon then Canon. It's really first how much $$$ you want to spend. In the old days a Pro camera, like the F2 or F3 cost you $1000-$1200. Today that amount of money is a "prosumer" camera like the D90 with others going into the $5000 range. Crazy money. For a good consumer entry DSLR you're looking around $500. So I guess what I'm asking is what is your price range?

Then we can offer what's best within that.

Dude 35mm film around here is a dollar a roll ...seriously cheap.

I just picked up a Canon 40D. I have a couple decent lenses for it, but I'm dying for some L glass (professional lens).

The 40D body set me back about $700 off eBay. Takes fantastic photos! But it isn't very portable. For those pictures I have a Canon SD880 IS, which is pretty fantastic for such a small camera. Once you get used to the variety of photo modes, ie Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Nighttime, etc, it produces surprisingly great pictures.

I am a working/showing fine artist who makes alot of artwork, mostly paintings and prints, but including some photos too.

The only site you need to know is www.dpreview.com, it will give you all you need to know and a detailed review by a pro-reviewer and also by people who actually have and own the camera. I was turned on to it by a professional commercial shooter I know.

For a compact may I suggest you look at the pentax Optio W60 I have one they were just released in July and are technically amazing and not much bigger than a pack of smokes, water and dustproof as in take in the ocean with you and also features a great video and timelapse options. I am really just getting to know mine but really love it for about 300-400 bucks from adorama camera in NYC they have a web-site. There are only two Pentax dealers in the USA and Adorama is one of them. I stopped in and bought mine in the city but they have a web-site as well.

This camera is more than worth every penny. For printers the cannon's can print so well now it will blow your mind. I have a really advanced printer that I paid about $150 for amazing. For big or even poster sized huge prints (now your talking fun!) go to any Kinkos or staples its not too cheap but not too overpriced either....super cool!

For a SLR type digital I agree go Nikon. Try Costco they sometimes have good deals on DSLR's.

But whatever you do consult the tables on dpreview.com and compare...be patient it took me months to choose my Pentax over a Ricoh and I am glad I did the optio w60 is super killer. I am hard on cameras so it is perfect for me in my dusty painting and my dusty metal/car shop.

www.dpreview.com

Good luck there is a whole lot of choices out there but most of all have fun!

Dude 35mm film around here is a dollar a roll ...seriously cheap.

It's not the film, it's the processing (quality processing) that kills you, add to that the time to scan in pictures etc., and I've pretty much thrown up my hands and look at the cameras on the shelf. Maybe if I were doing B&W and had my own darkroom like the old days but I just don't have the time anymore.

:-(

I shoot Canon. I agree about dpreview but that's not the only source I would use. I think The Luminous Landscape is also a good source of info as are Bob Atkins' and Rob Galbraith's sites. Art Morris is the fellow I listen to about bird photography.

If you are new to SLR, you can go with any of the big manufacturers: Canon, Nikon, and Sony. Once you start buying good lenses, you tend to stay with that brand. Lenses are just as important if not more important than the body.

Canon tends to be better at the longer focal lengths (tele) lenses and Nikon tends to be better at the shorter focal (wide angle) lenses although they are both very,

very good. Sony uses Zeiss lenses which have a great reputation but I haven't read to much about these particular lenses and the variety of lenses may not be as extensive as the other two manufacturers.

Sony makes it's digital sensor and Nikon's. It is CCD type sensor. Canon makes their own sensor and it is a CMOS design. As far as S/N goes they are both pretty equal. There are some differences, however, such as static charges and heat generation.

Finally, many think that we are near a paradigm shift in photography. There is a convergence occurring in the fields of still and motion photography. For example, digital camcorders are taking better and better still photographs and both the Canon and Nikon new prosumer SLRs now take HD movies - Nikon at 720p and Canon at 1080p. These are amazing cameras and the image stabilization with the bigger SLR lenses is much better than the camcorders. The sound recording and file structure and handling of the SLRs is not so good right now. This blending of formats is a trend that is only going to accelerate in the future. You may want to wait for more sophisticated SLR movie capable cameras to come to the market. The small digicams are great and could fill in nicely until this change sorts itself out. It's all up to you. It's a big temptation to ask what is the best, but like everything else in life, you have to do your homework to answer that question.

It's not the film, it's the processing (quality processing) that kills you, add to that the time to scan in pictures etc., and I've pretty much thrown up my hands and look at the cameras on the shelf. Maybe if I were doing B&W and had my own darkroom like the old days but I just don't have the time anymore.

:-(

I don't know Jeff. Saturday I was upgrading my machine for gaming and for whatever reason the SATA hard drive crashed (cheap 500w power supply purchased at Fry's probably did it). About 1/2 of my pictures were not backed up and about 1/3 of my songs. I was so mad I was about ready to go back to the old school film cameras. Technology is awesome and sucks all at the same time.

I'm actually sitting here with a 500 gb portable HD now saving stuff....

There are so many good cameras in each price point it comes down to features as well. I bought my daughter a high end Kodak and my Fiancé a high end Cannon, they both love them for different reasons. I just bought my youngest a Nikon... My only recommendation is to stay away from Sony, as I have a hard on for anyone in this day and age who still tries to keep everything proprietary! I would suggest going online and looking at the hundreds of reviews, look for features, then price point. Asking guys here you will get a hundred different opinions, as each had their own hit list. Read the reviews, find a couple choices, then review each in detail. My .02

Archived