TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Collection Annual Christmas Gathering

twobjshelbys

The "Shelby Museum" held its annual fundraising event last night. This was my first time and it was great.

Check out the site for their info:

http://www.shelbyamericancollection.org

As stated before it is a great collection of American racing history.

Last nights event featured the following guests:

* Phil Remington - Director of R&D, Shelby American

* Lew Spencer - Shelby American Driver and Shelby TransAm Team Manager

* Chuck Cantwell - Shelby American GT-350 Project Engineer

* Charlie Agapiou - Shelby American Mechanic/Fabricator

* Ron Butler - Shelby American Mechanic/Fabricator

* Bernie Kretzschmar - Shelby American Mechanic/Fabricator

* Ted Sutton - Shelby American Mechanic/Fabricator

* Sue Schafran Warne - Personal Secretary to Ken Miles, Phil Remington and Al Dowd

* Bob Bondurant - Winner 1964 Le Mans GT and 1965 F.I.A. World Manufacturers’ Championship

* Jack Sears - Winner 1965 F.I.A. World Manufacturers’ Championship

Sir John Whitmore - Winner 1965 F.I.A. World Manufacturers’ Championship and 1964 GT TT

* Tom Yeager - Shelby American and TransAm Driver

* Bill Neale - Renowned Automotive Artis

This is from the site. I think the group might have been slightly different. Basically it was those who drove cars as part of the Shelby team in the early days and then those who kept the team equipped with vehicles.

We got there early enough to have a good stand in line to get one of the autograph tokens. There was a limit of 50, and I don't think all of them sold. The economy wasn't friendly. We didn't stay to see the end of the silent auction but some of the items were going for some pretty good prices. When I left almost everything was between the opening bid and "value". There was an auction of some other items too. One of them was a night for 25 at the museum -catered by the caterers that did last night's wonderful spread. It took them forever to get to $1000 and they were about to call it off. I was on the way to find copilot to offer $1200 and someone popped in for $1500, and I think it went to $2000. Still a good deal. There was a night at a luxury condo in NY that was cancelled due to lack of interest. Even Carroll couldn't get people to open their pocketbooks.

Anyway, we brought both of our Shelbys. This was the first time both had been together.

Pictures follow in groups of 10 or so.

Outside we waited for about an hour (others were there up to an hour before us!)

Two groups get there early. Those that want to to get a token and those that want to park their Shelby's close to the entrance. Here's some of the cars:

66 Hertz car

DSC_1587.jpg

DSC_1589.jpg

GT350 (I think this is one of the Museum guys - I've seen it in the museum before).

DSC_1590.jpg

Our twins:

DSC_1592.jpg

Melissa and Jeff's cars

DSC_1593.jpg

Caroll Shelby arriving

DSC_1594.jpg

Inside - the Daytona Coupe is back.

DSC_1595.jpg

A Terlingua poster in the silent auction

DSC_1596.jpg

Also in the silent auction. I thought this one was funny.

DSC_1597.jpg

Some shots from the autograph session.

I was in line by this point and had turned my camera over to a friend. He took these two to get the feel of the D700. Maybe the camera doesn't need a good operator to take a good photo

DSC_1605.jpg

DSC_1606.jpg

Two of Carroll signing my BJ SGT model.

DSC_1607.jpg

DSC_1609.jpg

When we got there the Ferrari was closed up. We at our buffet at a standup table next to it. I always thought cars with leather belt buckles that hold parts down are cool. Then they opened up the hood. What an engine.

DSC_1611.jpg

DSC_1612.jpg

DSC_1615.jpg

Some pics of the Daytona. It's been there before but I've never been able to get close to it. I don't think they had bungee cords in 1964 (or thereabouts, whenever it was made). I believe this car is raced still.

DSC_1621.jpg

DSC_1623.jpg

One of the Cobras was staged

DSC_1662.jpg

Photos of Bob Bondurant's wife and Carroll. She asked me to take this.

DSC_1664.jpg

Then went and got Bob and had me take another. Carroll was jovial at this point. He instructed me to Photoshop Bob out of the photo :)

DSC_1665.jpg

Then two of me and Carroll. Wow. Bondurant is in the wings.

DSC_1666.jpg

DSC_1667.jpg

We drove both Shelby's back home before the festivities ended. My wife, drove the automatic and I drove the 5-speed. She pulled up next to me at a stop light. She swears, with the biggest smirk on her face, that she didn't want to race.

I took these before packing it in for the night.

DSC_1669.jpg

DSC_1671.jpg

We'll be going again next year.

That was my second year there, Tony. Agreed, an incredible evening. I stayed till they kicked me out. If you stayed late enough, you got to hear the cars run! I was on the other side of the museum when they started a 427 cobra. I nearly dropped my drink, it sounded like a bomb going off! They revved it for a deafening 30 seconds or so then shut it off, followed by a roaring applause and much shouting. The sound was just indescribable. Then they did the same with a GT40 MkII and another 427 Cobra. They even let certain people (mostly pretty women, possibly ones that had made contributions) get their pictures sitting in the cars. Of course the owners of many of the cars were in attendance, so I guess they can let anyone they want sit in their cars. I didn't get a token to see Carroll because I didn't really have anything I wanted him to sign, but I did get a poster with Carroll's, Bob's, and everyone else's signature on it for $120. What a night. Too bad Amy didn't make it....

That was my second year there, Tony. Agreed, an incredible evening. I stayed till they kicked me out. If you stayed late enough, you got to hear the cars run! I was on the other side of the museum when they started a 427 cobra. I nearly dropped my drink, it sounded like a bomb going off! They revved it for a deafening 30 seconds or so then shut it off, followed by a roaring applause and much shouting. The sound was just indescribable. Then they did the same with a GT40 MkII and another 427 Cobra. They even let certain people (mostly pretty women, possibly ones that had made contributions) get their pictures sitting in the cars. Of course the owners of many of the cars were in attendance, so I guess they can let anyone they want sit in their cars. I didn't get a token to see Carroll because I didn't really have anything I wanted him to sign, but I did get a poster with Carroll's, Bob's, and everyone else's signature on it for $120. What a night. Too bad Amy didn't make it....

I wanted to stay but neither of us has spent that much time on our feet for a while. I could have worn my jeans, sneakers and a polo shirt and hung in there to the end. Instead the dresser chose that goofy black Hawaiian shirt. :).

There may be a recurring theme about the "Man in Black" though.

We had a good time. My wife is not a car nut, but there had to be a dozen other women whose husbands dragged them to there too.

Good to see you Melissa and Dave!

I ended up winning the auction on the Terlingua poster in your picture above, it is signed by Bill Neale and Carroll, and also some 427 valve covers to build lights out of in my diner/garage I'm building. It was a very fun evening. I had my poster I received in Terlingua signed by just about all of the folks that were in attendance in your list above.

Archived