TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Harness and Harness Bar

Revan Racing

I installed the Corbeau Harness Bar with Schroth Harnesses.

I bought everything from Brett at SoloRacer.com - Schroth Harness Belts, Corbeau Seats, G Force Helmets, Bell Helmets, Autocross Magnets, and other Autocross Products Great Guy.

Here's a link to the Harnesses

http://www.soloracer.com/schrothproffe.html

Here's a link to the Harness Bar

http://soloracerdotcom.stores.yahoo.net/mustangharness.html

Here are some pics of my install.

I will eventually put a full roll cage in the car but all things in due time. This will suffice for now. The Harness can be adapted to a race seat with a 5 or 6point sub seat connector at a later date and is street and FIA legal until 2013.

Harness install was very smooth as was the seat install. For the driver right side lap belt I attached the belt to the torx bolt # 50 that currently holds the stock belt. Total install time, taking my time, was about 2 hours. Very smooth and simple mod for those that want harnesses but don't want to put the roll bar or even a race seat for that matter.

The harnesses are ASM which stands for antisubmarining under the lap belts.

Dactyl

post-9206-1228668626_thumb.jpg

post-9206-1228668643_thumb.jpg

post-9206-1228668659_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I am very interested in what you did. On the bar that you installed, what were the install points for that? It looks like the top is secured to the top bracket for the lap belt. What about the bottom of the bar? I cannot see that from the photos. Sure wish they (Schroth) would make the quick fit harnesses that click right into your rear seat belts. They have them for BMWs, Minis and others. I contacted them about whether they would make one for us. They said they were considering it but had no timetable. Excellent looking work you did.

Jim

Thanks for posting this. I am very interested in what you did. On the bar that you installed, what were the install points for that? It looks like the top is secured to the top bracket for the lap belt. What about the bottom of the bar? I cannot see that from the photos. Sure wish they (Schroth) would make the quick fit harnesses that click right into your rear seat belts. They have them for BMWs, Minis and others. I contacted them about whether they would make one for us. They said they were considering it but had no timetable. Excellent looking work you did.

Jim

The install points for the bar are the Seat Belt points both upper and lower. The lower has a mounting bracket that you install and the down rods have an eye hook that they bolt through. Very Simple install on the Harness Bar.

I also connected the left side of the Schroth Lap belt to the lower seat belt bolt up location. Then for the right side I actually removed the drivers seat and used the bolt location on the seat where the standard belt clips in. Its a #50 Torx and it made for a nice clean install and still gave me the tolerane angles that the Schroth installation design calls for.

Got it all through Soloracer.com Brett is a good guy.

Van

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about a harness bar but I looked at the following and now I only believe a 4-point roll bar is the minimum for taking a car to the track.

Please read this before anyone else goes with a harness bar or any of the "DOT" harness systems.

Also note the link to CC.com takes you to a site that run by racers and don't suff fools......

Questionable harness tech http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...hlight=schroth

Harness/Roll bar Tech http://3.8mustang.com/forum/showthre...t=harness+tech

FROM CORNER-CARVERS

And there is mention of that gay boy-love Schroth DOT-Legal system I was talking about.

Here is Drew's OFFICIAL Assclown list regarding this thread:

You are an Assclown if you do any of the following:

- Use a racing seat without a harness

- Use a harness without rollover protection

- Use anything LESS than 5 points

- Use one of those DOT-Legal "things"

- Think that you probably won't roll on-track

Finally, James - I don't know you and I may be being a bit judgemental here but:

Quote:

Finally, before anyone gives me a hard time for putting in harnesses without a roll bar or cage, I thought about that and decided that the risk of a rollover in the kind of events I do is relatively small, and that the added control I get while driving is worth it. Mitch agreed it was a reasonable risk. I may go for a roll bar (Mitch estimated it at under $1,000), but it would be a tight fit around the B pillar, would probably reduce passengers seat movement, and would cut into storage space in the back.

So what you are saying is that you have less risk of rolling than anyone else who goes out on track? Are you a rolling chicane? Are you one of those turds out for a Sunday drive that don't know where their mirrors are and have not yet mastered the point-by? If you are not one of them then YOU sir are just as likely of a candidate for a rollover as ANYONE else who rolls off the grid to the other side of that white line.

I have seen quite a few people roll at HPDEs over the years. Do you think THOSE guys said "I think I am going to roll today!" or "I think I am pretty likely to roll my car so I am going to keep driving on track." I am willing to bet none of them thought the odds of them rolling on track were too high.

You want to $$$$ around with YOUR safety that is fine. In the end it is your ass. Just know that these delusions of suppressed risk are Jackassery! at its finest and I will be moving them to the memorable quotes page of our Wiki site because they are true poetry.

I have always wondered why some cannot express themselves in a debate in a fashion that fosters the debate (which helps all of us learn a little something) rather than setting forth a position (theirs) as the only reasonable position. To each their own, I guess.

Jim

I have always wondered why some cannot express themselves in a debate in a fashion that fosters the debate (which helps all of us learn a little something) rather than setting forth a position (theirs) as the only reasonable position. To each their own, I guess.

Jim

Jim I put that stuff up with a cavait (I thought anyway)

I was thinking about a harness bar but I looked at the following and now I only believe a 4-point roll bar is the minimum for taking a car to the track.

Please read this before anyone else goes with a harness bar or any of the "DOT" harness systems.

Also note the link to CC.com takes you to a site that run by racers and don't suffer fools......

If you took the time to read all the info you might be inclined to think about a roll over, hitting a wall at 100 mph plus or a side impact.

Please review the following and make up your own mind............

ROLL OVER

gallery_10725_719_27834.jpg

gallery_10725_719_59681.jpg

If the driver/passenger were wearing a harness without rollover protection the guys would probably be dead now because the harness would have kept them "bolt upright"....

The instructors then broke the news about a roll-over incident on Sat which sent two people to the hospital (the instructor and the student). Apparently a group 1 (novice group with instructor assigned) student early apexed and put two wheels off the track coming out of turn two. Instead of driving off the track straight he tried to yank the car back on track, the car skid across the track and rolled over twice before resting on its roof, on the other side of the track. This is the classic mistake that new (and sometimes even experienced) drivers make. The rule of thumb is, if you put two or four wheels off the track you should drive straight (where the car is pointed) and gradually come to a stop, specially at a track like Willow Springs where there is so much run off room there is no reason why one shouldn't. The driver and the instructor were both treated for injuries and released from the hospital.

The instructor came back to the track but he was in a lot of pain. I talked to him briefly about the incident. He said that that the student wasn't driving bad or doing anything stupid but coming out of turn 2 he put two tires off the track. The instructor grabbed the steering wheel and tried to hold it straight as soon as the wheels went off the track but it was too late, the student had already crancked it to get back on the track. As the car rolled the first time, the top came down half way, since the car didn't have a roll-cage the instructor grabbed the lever and reclined the seat all the way back which he said was a good thing because the second time the car rolled the roof just collapsed. The pictures tell it all. Try explaining that one to the insurance company, at least no one was seriously hurt.

Frontal Impacts/Side Impacts

gallery_10725_719_93997.jpg

Using the OEM seats with the harness draped over the seat and no way to prevent the harness from moving is a no go........that's why the FIA seats have the holes in the top of the seat so the harness can't slip off the seat.

In an accident the harness can spread open allowing the body fly about the interior. Or slip off the side with the same end results

gallery_10725_719_19183.jpg

Also if you are using a reclining seat even if it is FIA you have to have a seat brace, this is a bar/pad that is attached to the roll bar/cage. So if the reclining mechanism were to break the seat back can't go back.

Now for HPDE days you might be better served by using the safety stuff Ford put into the cars, in lieu of installing something that might increase your chance of injury or death.

If you want to step up to the next level a roll bar (four point) with a harness bar attached to the roll bar and a race seat is the safe way to go just do a search for SCCA/NASA/PBOC/FIA safety regulations and look at how they install the equipment.

You might say well they say (pick a manufacturer of a harness bar or DOT/FIA harness) it’s OK.

Just please look at how the SCCA/NASA/PBOC/FIA install the safety equipment.

Jim I put that stuff up with a cavait (I thought anyway)

I did not mean to sound like I was pinging on you. My apology. I knew those were not your words but my post was not clear on that point. This is an interesting thread and more so with your last post.

Jim

Archived