TEAM SHELBY FORUM

86 GLHS Prototype #2?

168glhs1986

Hi Steve, I don't know how I dug this webpage up. Can you shed some light on the authenticity of the car or perhaps what has come of this car today?

http://www.leenetonline.com/~sigod/shelby/pilot2/glhs1.htm

Thanks.

Mike

Mike

I don't think I've ever seen that website before. Thanks for posting it.

I'm a little skeptical at his claims because as per the norm he does not back it up with any proof such as paperwork. Heck even a vin number would help. He also needs to learn the difference between a prototype car and a assembly line pilot car. Two different cars.

So because this car has a #2 decal on the window that means it was a pilot car? Did he ever think that Shelby Automobiles had several cars set aside for the press and that they would need a way for the press to grab the right car? Thats a possibility.

How about that SAI had something like 4-6 GLHS's that they used in multiple slalom races and 1/4 mile track events for publicity purposes. Winners of these events were awarded prizes such as watches, tires, Shelby Wheels, plaques, etc. Did he ever think that they needed to identify these cars from each other? Hence a number decal placed on the windshield to identify each car. Another possibility.

Now I'm not saying he doesn't have something all I'm saying is that he needs to back up his claims. His car does have the early decals but if its what he claims it is why is he not mentioning anything about a rollbar, oil cooler or boost gauge? You see all three of those items were used on the pre-production S cars but got deleted from the production cars.

The shipping stencil on the tire is what it is, a shipping stencil. So Goodyear shipped some tires to Steve Hope. I'm not sure what that is proving except Steve Hope received some LOOSE tires from Goodyear at some point. If you look at the tire tread you can clearly see why they would be ordering lots of extra tires especially if the car was used in the Shelby Slaom Series.

I will add that I recall a story about a car at Whittier that had a do not use for parts sign on it and that the workers ignored the sign but I have no way to say that car was his car. I can't recall where I even heard that story. Might have been from the internet or from one of the Whittier employees.

So again without a vin number or sales receipt from SAI its hard to say exactly what he has. Could be something or not. Just because a seller says something while he's trying to sell a car doesn't always mean its true.

If anyone knows the owner or has info on this car please post as it would be great to document this car either way if falls.

Steve

• 7 months later...
Dunno, why don't you tell us Bill? ;)

Well, Alan....I know for a fact there there was more than 2 prototypes. Some of them have been destroyed from racing and testing. The vehicles that the press test drove were also prototype test vehicles, not the numbered cars that were sold to the public. You already know this don't you? :shift:

• 3 weeks later...
Mike

I don't think I've ever seen that website before. Thanks for posting it.

I'm a little skeptical at his claims because as per the norm he does not back it up with any proof such as paperwork. Heck even a vin number would help. He also needs to learn the difference between a prototype car and a assembly line pilot car. Two different cars.

So because this car has a #2 decal on the window that means it was a pilot car? Did he ever think that Shelby Automobiles had several cars set aside for the press and that they would need a way for the press to grab the right car? Thats a possibility.

How about that SAI had something like 4-6 GLHS's that they used in multiple slalom races and 1/4 mile track events for publicity purposes. Winners of these events were awarded prizes such as watches, tires, Shelby Wheels, plaques, etc. Did he ever think that they needed to identify these cars from each other? Hence a number decal placed on the windshield to identify each car. Another possibility.

Now I'm not saying he doesn't have something all I'm saying is that he needs to back up his claims. His car does have the early decals but if its what he claims it is why is he not mentioning anything about a rollbar, oil cooler or boost gauge? You see all three of those items were used on the pre-production S cars but got deleted from the production cars.

The shipping stencil on the tire is what it is, a shipping stencil. So Goodyear shipped some tires to Steve Hope. I'm not sure what that is proving except Steve Hope received some LOOSE tires from Goodyear at some point. If you look at the tire tread you can clearly see why they would be ordering lots of extra tires especially if the car was used in the Shelby Slaom Series.

I will add that I recall a story about a car at Whittier that had a do not use for parts sign on it and that the workers ignored the sign but I have no way to say that car was his car. I can't recall where I even heard that story. Might have been from the internet or from one of the Whittier employees.

So again without a vin number or sales receipt from SAI its hard to say exactly what he has. Could be something or not. Just because a seller says something while he's trying to sell a car doesn't always mean its true.

If anyone knows the owner or has info on this car please post as it would be great to document this car either way if falls.

Steve

Well Hello all. Let me introduce myself. My name is Lee, the owner of leenetonline.com, and the owner of the car in question. I bought it over in Detroit, MI from a retired Chrysler engineer named Peter. Yes this car did have a sign on it that said do not use for parts but parts were taken anyway when it was over in CA. I haven't looked at my paperwork in awhile so I don't quite remember if I have that sign or not, but I am pretty sure I do. If i so I can scan it and post it. When I purchased it, it had no engine and no trans. I believe it had about 6k original miles on it at the time. I wound up putting in a brand new turbo II crate motor and a 555 trans. Bolted up beautifully. just had to find different half shafts. Unless someone actually has all the VINs and such it would probability just show up as an omni. I don't know, I never quite researched it. As for the boost gauge and such, this one didn't have one. Hell it still had the original omni badge in the dash. As for a roll bar, there are cutouts in the carpet in the back seat and like 4 holes drilled threw the floorboard to mount it. in the front the carpet just has the bolt holes threw it, and i think it was the same for the trunk. I don't have the roll bar though. I don't have the VIN handy but when I get a chance to get it I can post it.

It is currently in storage, but thinking of pulling it out this weekend finally. I still have alot to do to finish restoring it like interior stuff.

The car is currently located in the Grand Rapids, MI area.

So there you have it.

-Lee

Well Hello all. Let me introduce myself. My name is Lee, the owner of leenetonline.com, and the owner of the car in question. I bought it over in Detroit, MI from a retired Chrysler engineer named Peter. Yes this car did have a sign on it that said do not use for parts but parts were taken anyway when it was over in CA. I haven't looked at my paperwork in awhile so I don't quite remember if I have that sign or not, but I am pretty sure I do. If i so I can scan it and post it. When I purchased it, it had no engine and no trans. I believe it had about 6k original miles on it at the time. I wound up putting in a brand new turbo II crate motor and a 555 trans. Bolted up beautifully. just had to find different half shafts. Unless someone actually has all the VINs and such it would probability just show up as an omni. I don't know, I never quite researched it. As for the boost gauge and such, this one didn't have one. Hell it still had the original omni badge in the dash. As for a roll bar, there are cutouts in the carpet in the back seat and like 4 holes drilled threw the floorboard to mount it. in the front the carpet just has the bolt holes threw it, and i think it was the same for the trunk. I don't have the roll bar though. I don't have the VIN handy but when I get a chance to get it I can post it.

It is currently in storage, but thinking of pulling it out this weekend finally. I still have alot to do to finish restoring it like interior stuff.

The car is currently located in the Grand Rapids, MI area.

So there you have it.

-Lee

I know Peter. He has had a number of pilot and prototype type of cars.

Barry

Lee, welcome to the Team Shelby forums.

Let me start out by saying that when someone says they have a prototype, pilot, unique, special, etc Shelby vehicle it has to be met with suspicion until proven legit. I'm not sure how long you've been around the Shelby Dodge scene but people thru theyears have made some unusual claims.

Probably the best one is the 1984 Dodge Rampage fitted with 1987 GLHS turbo parts. Owner claimed Shelby Automobiles built it that way. Owner stuck to his "story" all the way to the end until the GLHS dash plaque he installed did him in. The owner purchased a totaled 1987 GLHS, transfered all the Shelby parts to his 1984 Rampage and then fabricated a story on how rare, special, unique his one of one Rampage was.

Another great story is the person who swore up and down how rare, special, unique his 1987 GLHS was because it didn't have a sunroof. No matter what was said he just argued that his GLHS was special and we were all wrong. Guess what? The car was proven to have had a replacement roof welded on to the car. So much for being special, rare, unique, etc.

And another L body story. Owner claimed his GLHS was rare, unique, special because according to him Chrysler ran out of black paint so his GLHS was painted red by Chrysler then repainted black by Shelby. Just another person that no matter what you said just stuck to his "story" on his car being special. End of story was his GLHS had red paint underneath because it was not a GLHS. His car had been rebodied using a red Dodge Shelby Charger as the donor car by a previous owner.

Also I can not recall how many people say that their GLHS is special, unique, rare because they claim it came from the factory with a rollbar. Funny how not one of these people can produce a window sticker showing the roll bar option. They just want everyone to take their word and ignore all the logic on why no retail GLHS's came with a factory installed rollbar.

The above examples are just L body examples like your car. I could go on with more stories on the other body styles but want to get back on the topic of your car.

I just looked at your website again and the only proof you've posted for your car is a decal showing the numeral 2. You've posted some comments on what the person who sold you the car said but when it comes to documenting a car what a seller says to a buyer to make a sale usually doesn't carry that much weight.

I'm not saying that your car isn't what you say it is. All I'm saying is that more proof is needed than just a decal with the numeral 2. I think I mentioned in a previous post that Shelby Automobiles had several non production GLHS cars used for the press and more importantly were also used for slalom racing at the SFS facility. I also believe Shelby held one of those Chrysler diagnostic events for young people still in high school looking to get into the automotive repair. If I recall correctly they used these GLHS's for one of those events.

Perhaps your car is one of those. The original sales paperwork from the Chrysler engineer who reportedly purchased the car would be of big help. That is if there is any sales paperwork. You mentioned the car left Shelby's without an engine, transmission among other parts. Sounds like it would be more of a "scrap sale" meaning the car was sold for its scrap value and not for use on the public highways. Still Shelby would have provided a sales receipt for the money they were taking in.

If you want to PM me the vin number I can try to see what if any info I can pull up on it. Also do you have a title for the car?

I'm more than willing to help document your car if it's legit. I'm not sure I can go along with calling it #002 out of 502 cars though. To me if everything pans out it should be considered a pre-production car.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting car! Neat find! What is the VIN? Got a pic of a dash plaque? Or more pics at all?

Archived