TEAM SHELBY FORUM

$80k down the drain

Saw this Nissan GTR on the interstate today. :blink:

No license plate even on it yet.

Sorry about the quality. Shot from my phone.

GTR.JPG

From what I can see in this picture, the collision was so hard the airbag even tried to jump out the passinger side window! :hysterical:

I have heard that the few owners that have these cars have become quite disenchanted with it. Not because of it's performance, mainly because it's too high tech for it's own good.

I know that it's a limited production car, but it also must have a very narrow buyer group too. They have been out for about four months or so now, and I have only seen two out in the wild, and I live in one of the most expensive car capitols in the U.S.

I love how they put the launch control on there, but if you use it then you void the warranty. But then again, who needs a warranty when you know your car can take whatever you throw at it

From what I can see in this picture, the collision was so hard the airbag even tried to jump out the passinger side window! :hysterical:

I have heard that the few owners that have these cars have become quite disenchanted with it. Not because of it's performance, mainly because it's too high tech for it's own good.

I know that it's a limited production car, but it also must have a very narrow buyer group too. They have been out for about four months or so now, and I have only seen two out in the wild, and I live in one of the most expensive car capitols in the U.S.

I've had mine for several weeks now, and I think it is a masterpiece! I use it as my daily driver, and it handles extremely well on the snow and ice. Gotta love AWD! You should see the looks from folks who do a double-take as they realize that the grime-covered car passing them on a snowy road is a GT-R!

post-8981-1228882492_thumb.jpg

post-8981-1228882542_thumb.jpg

post-8981-1228882492_thumb.jpg

post-8981-1228882542_thumb.jpg

I've had mine for several weeks now, and I think it is a masterpiece! I use it as my daily driver, and it handles extremely well on the snow and ice. Gotta love AWD! You should see the looks from folks who do a double-take as they realize that the grime-covered car passing them on a snowy road is a GT-R!

Nice car Vert.....Or should I say Cars. :bowdown:

How fast is it compared to the Shelby ?

Not to be disrespectful, but I do not get that car at all. The front fender is horrible as is the rest of it. I mean a good used 360 modena is not that much more relativly speaking and looks a whole lot better....thats my opinion.

First, I love the look of the car. That's one reason why I bought it. Second, if I wanted a Modena, I would buy a new one... who wants a used supercar? Who knows how the last owner treated it? Finally, the Modena is rear-wheel drive (if I'm not mistaken), and I bought this car as my daily driver to work, and in the winter here in SD, all-wheel drive is FAR superior to RWD. For my needs, the GT-R fit the bill perfectly.

Nice car Vert.....Or should I say Cars. :bowdown:

How fast is it compared to the Shelby ?

Thanks! The GT-R accelerates violently from 0-80, and though you can feel that there is far less torque than my Whippled GT500, every one of those ponies is getting put to the ground, so it is a fun feeling! My wife and my dad said it feels faster than the Shelby, but I think they're crazy. When I really want to scare somebody silly, I still grab the keys for the Shelby! I think the GT-R would win in a race to 100 mph, but then the Shelby would howl right on by it... If only I could get some semblance of traction in the Shelby.

First, I love the look of the car. That's one reason why I bought it. Second, if I wanted a Modena, I would buy a new one... who wants a used supercar? Who knows how the last owner treated it? Finally, the Modena is rear-wheel drive (if I'm not mistaken), and I bought this car as my daily driver to work, and in the winter here in SD, all-wheel drive is FAR superior to RWD. For my needs, the GT-R fit the bill perfectly.

I did not mean to disrespect your decision. I understand. I am not trying to steal your thunder.

And I cannot say my snow car is cooler, haha, I drive a Scout Diesel in the snow. :hysterical:

I have a friend who owned part of an exotic only used dealership and a friend who is a factory certified Ferrari tech at/for a shop/private collection/race team of supercars and vintage Ferraris/vettes etc..., they also service customer cars, mostly Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo. You should see this place the owner has some seriously over the top cars of all makes and even an old Ferrari can am type race car. I have another friend who works for the largest private collection of Ferraris in the world including the latest privatley owned F1 Ferrari released for sale from the factory. I have been around alot of these cars and many more average exotic car owners, so it is with some knowledge that I say the following.

I can tell you the majority of the supercars and exotics never get driven hard, let alone even driven. That includes the myriad of polished brand new Gt2 Porsches with 1000 miles on them. I would buy a used exotic from a polisher anyday. They far outnumber the folks who actually use them. The problems encountered by my mechanic friend with old exotics usually center around disuse more than anything.

Kudos to you for driving yours! While I think the looks are not for me I do respect the car for what it is...as a non-polisher and as a mechanic hobbyist...it is very very fast and nimble. I would be extremley surprised if a GT500 had a chance in heck of keeping up with one on a track. Unless heavily modded in the suspension and engine.

But like you said thats not always the point. Cars are about how they make you feel. I do not get that burning gotta have it feeling when I see a GTR. I do with a Modena or especially my SGT, even more than the Modena. Would I trade my SGT for a 599 as my driver? Maybe, but I do feel the SGT is cooler than the Modena for different reasons. Could I justify driving a 599 everyday or do I have the resources to not have to justify it? No. (I already have a boat, haha).

I have however found in my quest for speed that several superbikes of Japanese makes have found thier way in my garage at various times. I also have owned a Datsun Roadster and a 240 and a 280 z in my past. Maybe in 20 years I will love the GTR, but right now I find the styling controversal. And I am glad yours speaks to you and you dig it!

Drive on my friend! And have fun!

I did not mean to disrespect your decision. I understand. I am not trying to steal your thunder.

And I cannot say my snow car is cooler, haha, I drive a Scout Diesel in the snow. :hysterical:

I have a friend who owned part of an exotic only used dealership and a friend who is a factory certified Ferrari tech at/for a shop/private collection/race team of supercars and vintage Ferraris/vettes etc..., they also service customer cars, mostly Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo. You should see this place the owner has some seriously over the top cars of all makes and even an old Ferrari can am type race car. I have another friend who works for the largest private collection of Ferraris in the world including the latest privatley owned F1 Ferrari released for sale from the factory. I have been around alot of these cars and many more average exotic car owners, so it is with some knowledge that I say the following.

I can tell you the majority of the supercars and exotics never get driven hard, let alone even driven. That includes the myriad of polished brand new Gt2 Porsches with 1000 miles on them. I would buy a used exotic from a polisher anyday. They far outnumber the folks who actually use them. The problems encountered by my mechanic friend with old exotics usually center around disuse more than anything.

Kudos to you for driving yours! While I think the looks are not for me I do respect the car for what it is...as a non-polisher and as a mechanic hobbyist...it is very very fast and nimble. I would be extremley surprised if a GT500 had a chance in heck of keeping up with one on a track. Unless heavily modded in the suspension and engine.

But like you said thats not always the point. Cars are about how they make you feel. I do not get that burning gotta have it feeling when I see a GTR. I do with a Modena or especially my SGT, even more than the Modena. Would I trade my SGT for a 599 as my driver? Maybe, but I do feel the SGT is cooler than the Modena for different reasons. Could I justify driving a 599 everyday or do I have the resources to not have to justify it? No. (I already have a boat, haha).

I have however found in my quest for speed that several superbikes of Japanese makes have found thier way in my garage at various times. I also have owned a Datsun Roadster and a 240 and a 280 z in my past. Maybe in 20 years I will love the GTR, but right now I find the styling controversal. And I am glad yours speaks to you and you dig it!

Drive on my friend! And have fun!

I hear what you're saying on the abuse issue with supercars, or lack of abuse that is. In Sioux Falls, there are no good places to have your ferrari, etc serviced so the friends I have that own a ferrari or lamborghini etc. are afraid to drive them hard, for fear that something will break and they will have the inconvenience of taking the car a distance away for service, as well as get hosed with a huge bill for something that may be rather simple. That was another reason I like the Nissan... like the GT500, I feel I can actually use the car, and if something breaks, it has the 5/60 warranty! I didn't buy the GT-R to upstage my other cars; I honestly treat the GT-R like the Ford F150 I had before it. The other cars in the garage are my babies, and spoil them I do (even if they aren't as valuable, technically)!

I realize the styling is a little unconventional on the GT-R, and I respect your opinion, of course. It has grown on me since acquiring it, though I never thought it was ugly to begin with. Not long ago, it seemed like all the cars on the road were beginning to look alike, from body styling to limited color options. I like the fact that there are some "unconventional styles" showing up more and more...

I hear what you're saying on the abuse issue with supercars, or lack of abuse that is. In Sioux Falls, there are no good places to have your ferrari, etc serviced so the friends I have that own a ferrari or lamborghini etc. are afraid to drive them hard, for fear that something will break and they will have the inconvenience of taking the car a distance away for service, as well as get hosed with a huge bill for something that may be rather simple. That was another reason I like the Nissan... like the GT500, I feel I can actually use the car, and if something breaks, it has the 5/60 warranty! I didn't buy the GT-R to upstage my other cars; I honestly treat the GT-R like the Ford F150 I had before it. The other cars in the garage are my babies, and spoil them I do (even if they aren't as valuable, technically)!

I realize the styling is a little unconventional on the GT-R, and I respect your opinion, of course. It has grown on me since acquiring it, though I never thought it was ugly to begin with. Not long ago, it seemed like all the cars on the road were beginning to look alike, from body styling to limited color options. I like the fact that there are some "unconventional styles" showing up more and more...

I don't agree there....I love the look of the GT-R...And Oh man I would love to see one in red.

My son is thinking about getting a GT-R or a ZR1....I like the both of them In red of course.

From what he tells me the price is very close to each other.

I don't agree there....I love the look of the GT-R...And Oh man I would love to see one in red.

My son is thinking about getting a GT-R or a ZR1....I like the both of them In red of course.

From what he tells me the price is very close to each other.

Do you mean Z06 corvette? I think the price is closer between the GT-R and the Z06 than the GT-R and the ZR-1. You can now get a GT-R for around $80k, and I doubt you can get a ZR-1 for anywhere near that! I thought they were over 100k sticker, and then commanding a healthy ADM on top of it?

Do you mean Z06 corvette? I think the price is closer between the GT-R and the Z06 than the GT-R and the ZR-1. You can now get a GT-R for around $80k, and I doubt you can get a ZR-1 for anywhere near that! I thought they were over 100k sticker, and then commanding a healthy ADM on top of it?

In Canada they are both over $100k....The ZR1 I think he told me was $20k more.

When I bought my 07 Shelby I paid $51,995 that was msrp no ADM....I think in the U.S the same

car was around $45,000 no ADM.

I hear you, nothing like a $50k transmission available only as a complete assembly when the internals are really just GM caddy parts in a special outer casting. Or unobtainable $1500 relays or $1500 distributor caps. No labor included. Gotta love the Italians though...

Still I love the 599, and there is a guy who drives a black one rain or shine in my part of the city, he is my hero. Man the sound is unbelievable. Like 3 superbikes getting on it all at once.

I am sure there is someone in your city for whom you are the hero as well ("dude no waayyyyy he was driving a GTR in the snow! Cool!"), haha gotta love driving them, that rules!

BTW Unless you have had that Charger since it was new just imagine the stories it could tell, I know of several 'Cuda's I personally had a hand in beating on way way hard in my youthful bad driving gear grinding days...

The 280 I drove through a light pole at about 65-80mph so it ain't talking anymore...

ZR1 is over 100k I thought, and the Audi R8 is as well. In that league I am all about the Ford GT, I lust for one of those before even the 599. There is also the possibility in the new Hot Rod mag of putting the Corvette ZR1 motor as a crate assembly into a new Camaro....look out!

Cheers!

Archived