TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Do I Do Now

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sitting at a light in LA today, waiting to make a left turn.

SUV crosses the intersection and as it passes clips the left front setting off the airbag.

My hand was at 12 o'clock and took the force of the bag, big bruise and some swelling.

I was totally shocked the bag went off, I guess because the vehicle was out of my field of view, ...looking for the next car.

Engine did not stall, so I'm certain I was not moving.

I completed the turn and pulled over to get out of the intersection, fender well dragging on the tire. Had to exit the passenger side, as the driver’s door wouldn't open.

As I sat on a bus stop bench trying to figure out what had happened, a young lady sitting there told me I wasn't at fault and gave me her name and number.

A friend who works nearby came over to ask if I was o.k., and informed me the SUV had turned over, ...on its side. The female driver and young girl were out and OK.

A police officer came over took my info and story, gave me his card with the report number, and called a tow truck.

I checked with my State Farm insurance agent and had it towed to an approved body shop.

I later found out from my friend that, it looks like she moved over as she passed me because the damage started mid way on her driver’s side door, she then lost control of the vehicle, which caused it to flip. It could have been avoided.

So, I am very thankful everyone is all right, ...at least so far.

But now, what do I have to worry about as far a Shelby is concerned. The bumper is trashed so I'll need the stripes for that. I had to tell the body shop guy who was writing it up, you can only get the strips from Shelby. My 08"s stripes weren't that bad yet, although they had started to deteriorate. Do I try to file a claim now? Should I call Shelby and ask what they recommend?

I could see the left front frame(?) horn is bent, but couldn't tell if anything got into the engine. Hood's buckled, both fenders are tweaked, but the doors seem to be in place based on the quarter panel gaps. I'll take pics in the morning.

I'm so pissed right now, ...just passed 3000 mi.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sitting at a light in LA today, waiting to make a left turn.

SUV crosses the intersection and as it passes clips the left front setting off the airbag.

My hand was at 12 o'clock and took the force of the bag, big bruise and some swelling.

I was totally shocked the bag went off, I guess because the vehicle was out of my field of view, ...looking for the next car.

Engine did not stall, so I'm certain I was not moving.

I completed the turn and pulled over to get out of the intersection, fender well dragging on the tire. Had to exit the passenger side, as the driver’s door wouldn't open.

As I sat on a bus stop bench trying to figure out what had happened, a young lady sitting there told me I wasn't at fault and gave me her name and number.

A friend who works nearby came over to ask if I was o.k., and informed me the SUV had turned over, ...on its side. The female driver and young girl were out and OK.

A police officer came over took my info and story, gave me his card with the report number, and called a tow truck.

I checked with my State Farm insurance agent and had it towed to an approved body shop.

I later found out from my friend that, it looks like she moved over as she passed me because the damage started mid way on her driver’s side door, she then lost control of the vehicle, which caused it to flip. It could have been avoided.

So, I am very thankful everyone is all right, ...at least so far.

But now, what do I have to worry about as far a Shelby is concerned. The bumper is trashed so I'll need the stripes for that. I had to tell the body shop guy who was writing it up, you can only get the strips from Shelby. My 08"s stripes weren't that bad yet, although they had started to deteriorate. Do I try to file a claim now? Should I call Shelby and ask what they recommend?

I could see the left front frame(?) horn is bent, but couldn't tell if anything got into the engine. Hood's buckled, both fenders are tweaked, but the doors seem to be in place based on the quarter panel gaps. I'll take pics in the morning.

I'm so pissed right now, ...just passed 3000 mi.

bunky, one thing you want to mention to the other insurance carrier is you expect to be paid some diminished value.

Do you have pics of the damage? ALso you DO NOT have to go to a body shop recommended by YOUR insurance company. THey are usually cut rate. Go to the shop you feel comfortable with. (its possible it COULD be the same shop just not probable)

Also use the at fault persons insurance instead of your own.

Also, State Farm has a program whereby they'll recommend you permit aftermarket bodyparts be used and, if you do, they'll warranty them forever. The other company may also, dunno. DO NOT ACCEPT SUCH AN AGREEMENT! Have only genuine Ford parts used since, by law, they can't make you agree to aftermarket parts and must still pay the cost of OEM. And definately go to the vendor of your choice. The insurance company may ask for two or three estimates, so make sure the estimates are comprehensive and that all use original parts, include all the same parts and are as expensive as possible (tell the shop that, if in doubt, estimate everything as full replacement, not repair). If the other insurance company sends you a check for less than 100% of the cost, contact your insurance company before you decide to cash it because if it's a lowball offer and you cash it you might be agreeing to that amount as total payment and you may have been better off working through your insurance carrier and letting them collect from the other carrier. You are entitled under the law to a perfect job at zero expense to you if you did not cause the accident. I'm no expert but there are at least two members on this site that own/run State Farm agencies -- hopefully they will see this and can give you some solid advice as they have with others ...just can't remember their handles. Good luck!! -Dan

sorry to hear about this Bunky, but glad everyone is ok. Remember this...if shop is recommended by your insurance company that can work to your favor...ask them if they warranty the repairs and for how long. Usually when they recommend the shop they will warranty the repairs for as long as you own the car. Just be sure they provide this to you in writing. Also, they are usually recommended based on their customer service and qaulity of work. Craig

Sorry to hear about this; glad everyone appears to be ok. I'm always amazed how close some people cut corners at intersections like that. I would be willing to bet she was yacking on the cell phone when it happened.

Glad you are alright. Stand your ground and make sure everything put on the car is OEM or Shelby. Do not accept any less. The worst part of all this is not only the injuries but the lowball estimates you will get from the other insurance company. Been there done that. I had a Firebird Formula back in the day and dealt with a horrible insurance company. Good luck and heal fast my friend.

Ok, I went to the body shop this AM to take photos.

I created a quick Photobucket account (first time user) just to get them up, rather than post them all here.

I forgot to set the camera to jpg, and shot them all RAW, so a little may have been lost in the conversion and downsizing.

Pardon some of the lens flare!

http://s452.photobucket.com/albums/qq248/BunkyL/

I feel a little better after talking with the insurance adjuster, and the service rep at the shop. Got a quick look at the work area and some of the cars they're working on. Even the guys at the rental place said they did good work.

I was in a rush, but called the number in the Shelby Handbook, and explained my situation and concern regarding the shop replacing whatever parts Shelby installed. Didn't get the name of the person, but he explained that the shop should take digital photos and then give them a call. They'll then determine what they need to provide. The shop rep said he'd follow through. He also indicated he’d be using all new Ford parts. It’s close to work so I can drop by anytime to check. Told him as soon as all the sheet metal was off I wanted to see.

He thinks is all "cosmetic" and that the damage didn’t make it to the engine area, but everything in front would have to be replaced.

We’ll see.

Yeeeeouch! You have my sympathy!

I'd agree with all that's been said so far - double, triple-check everything, from start to finish!

Speaking from past experience, make darn sure your body shop has all of the proper tools to ensure the ENTIRE car is straight and true or you will have issues later.

Now, playing the devil's advocate: Appearances are very deceiving - what looks "cosmetic" on a unibody car can actually be terminal. Note that though she smacked the driver's side, it's all connected, most obviously I see the strut bar looks like it may have extended the damage over to the passenger side. I've seen cars with what looked like less damage than this be written off as totaled.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Sam

AKA:

Sorry about your car..glad you are ok!!! I've owned a Mustang shop for 16 years and have fixed many wrecked Mustangs. If the body shop is good, you will get your car back where no one can even tell it was ever hit. Just insist on only genuine parts and look at the whole car, even underneath on a lift before you pick it up. If possible, go and inspect the car during the repairs and insist that no undercoating or anything else for that matter is applied to cover up anything not perfect. Make sure they align the car to Shelby specs and give you the printout of it. If all is done right, your car will be good as new again!! Best of luck and let me know if I can do anything to help....I've repaired 11 SGT's and GT500's.

Alex

Oh Bunky man am I sorry to see her sitting like that! Glad you're ok as well as everyone else. I DREAD the thought of even having a door ding put in mine! I'd stick to your guns, get what you need and be the "Driver" in the process not the passenger. I agree with what Alex said. If they're good it'll all turn out. No substitutes! Get that Philly back on the road so you can get out there again! Best of luck to you!

bunky, Thanks for the photo link. Glad you are ok and sad to see your car damaged.

I will say this: this is at least a 5,000.00 diminished value claim. In other words the other insurance company owes you 5k over the cost to fix this car along with pain & suffering etc.

They also owe you a rental until the repairs are complete

Have not mentioned it before but 10yrs auto field adjuster for a major insurance company tells me this.

If you go thru your ins carrier it will be very difficult to get diminished value and impossible from your own carrier.

Make sure you document document document each and every call you have with both your own carrier and the at fault carrier

Its for your own benefit

The photos tell me there is damage to the left inner fender and frame rail on that side, indicating it needs to be put on a frame rack, its not just a simple replace some sheet metal and be done with it. Also make sure they R & I any items as most likely will have to blend the drivers door and rt fender, unless they are able to make a perfect paint match without it. (not likely)

The other carrier will try to lowball you on your pain and suffering claim (you should have one)

From a quick glance I would say 7500.00 minimum to fix the car probably a lot more

What is the other insurance company telling you? have they accepted responsibility?

Yikes! Looks terrible! Thankfully no one was hurt and you know who did it.

Make sure they check carefully for chassis allignment ...doesn't take much to skew things a little up front. Get the absolute fattest estimates you can so that your shop-of-choice is 'reasonable' by comparo ...make sure they spec and use *only* genuine Ford parts.

Firstly, ...thanks to all for the replies and encouragement.

I was going to wait until I had the next set of photos before I posted, but didn’t get a chance to go by there today, hopefully tomorrow.

I have not heard from the adjuster since the first night, last Thursday. Nor have I seen the estimate yet, ...can’t see how they’ll get more than the one, unless they’ll have other shops make a visit, ...or truck it around.

Since I told them not to start until I took pics on Friday, I was giving them a day to get started.

I also have not heard the “other side” of the story, so I don’t know the carriers position right now (haven't heard from them either).

I did refer the shop to Shelby, ...the 800 number in the back of the Shelby Handbook.

I also sent them an e-mail stating I was going to document the repair on this web site and sent the link.

Good opportunity for positive PR, or ...

Got a voice mail about medical coverage today waiting for a call back.

Bunky,

Glad that you are ok.

Nasty damage to one beautiful SGT.

Follow the advice of 2008GT500KR and Documenting everything.

If you haven't already begun, start asap and create a chronolgical log of everything since and including the accident.

If not, the details will all to soon be lost.

Be sure to note the date, time, who you talked to, if appropriate their ID number, call back number or email address, etc. and all the details.

Ensure that any email commmunication is archieved.

A spiral notebook works well to keep all the information in one place.

Leave the first couple of pages to list the key players and their contact information, that way it is available without searching through your notes. Also it works well to have it available at all times even when visiting the body shop.

You could also create a document on the computer if your so inclinded.

Best of Luck!

Lg

Archived