TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need a new laptop

THERE ARE NO, NONE, ZILCH, ZIPPO, BIG GOOSE EGG, EMPTY CITY, NULL SET, EMPTY BRACKETS, viruses/worms out there attacking Macs.

AGAIN THERE ARE NONE.

The old immunity by obscurity excuse also misses the mark when Apple's sales are through the roof and rather than compete with all the other viruses out there for Windows, and the fact most users have some form of anti-virus software, the first in the wild Mac OS virus or worm will get HUGE press! The author will be famous! Anything else is just another Windows annoyance.

After the last person that I heard say the same thing it was within a week a virus alert for MAC was posted on MSN.com. Stop sniffing the corporate glue! :hysterical:

P.S. I started at Dell selling software and peripherals, and every single business customer that I talked to that had been hit with a virus was because they were too cheap to properly protect themselves until after the attack. Also, the vast majority of attacks occur from within.

Dell XPS. Common sense, vigilance, and good anti-virus software will keep viruses out of your world. The only down side to getting a PC is MSVista. It's not necessarly a bad operating system, it's just over inflated and grandiose; I thank goodness that I am still running on XP.

Do allot of video editing and left brain artsy-fartsy stuff? If you do, then look at a Mac.

JMO.

Dell XPS. Common sense, vigilance, and good anti-virus software will keep viruses out of your world. The only down side to getting a PC is MSVista. It's not necessarly a bad operating system, it's just over inflated and grandiose; I thank goodness that I am still running on XP.

Do allot of video editing and left brain artsy-fartsy stuff? If you do, then look at a Mac.

JMO.

Nope i sure dont. i wouldnt know how to if i tried. but i have been looking at the Dell XPS systems i really like what i see. :happy feet:

Nope i sure dont. i wouldnt know how to if i tried. but i have been looking at the Dell XPS systems i really like what i see. :happy feet:

If you're looking at the M1530 or M1330, a notable upgrade is the LED display. It's a little thinner, lighter and brighter. I wish I got that when I bought mine.

They all come with a great video card and decent hard drives. But the faster drives (7200 RPM) do get a little warm! If you're not the type to open the laptop and install memory, I suggest getting at least 3GB of RAM. You can install up to 4GB but your system will only "see" about 3.5GB. It's a limitation of Windows, not Dell. But if there's one place to NOT skimp out on, it's RAM.

Whatever you choose, a good in-house warranty is a good idea.

JMO.

Left brain is logic; right brain is artsy-fartsy.

That's how most businesses seem to do it. If they're in the business of creativity, (read artsy-fartsy), they go with MAC. Most others use PC.

THERE ARE NO, NONE, ZILCH, ZIPPO, BIG GOOSE EGG, EMPTY CITY, NULL SET, EMPTY BRACKETS, viruses/worms out there attacking Macs.

AGAIN THERE ARE NONE.

The old immunity by obscurity excuse also misses the mark when Apple's sales are through the roof and rather than compete with all the other viruses out there for Windows, and the fact most users have some form of anti-virus software, the first in the wild Mac OS virus or worm will get HUGE press! The author will be famous! Anything else is just another Windows annoyance.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/life/science-&...-recommends.htm

I have two Dells and two Macs: The Macs bring sanity, the Vistas confusion.

That's interesting - my wife and I both feel that its exactly the other way around.

This is serious BS. Humm, let's see, a virus software company saying Mac users should buy their product! Oh yea!

:hysterical:

After seven years of OS X THERE ARE NO MAC VIRUSES!!!!!

THERE AREA FIVE (5) PROOF OF CONCEPT MALWARE APPLICATIONS!!!!

HOW MUCH LOUDER MUST I SAY IT!

:headscratch:

After the last person that I heard say the same thing it was within a week a virus alert for MAC was posted on MSN.com. Stop sniffing the corporate glue! :hysterical:

P.S. I started at Dell selling software and peripherals, and every single business customer that I talked to that had been hit with a virus was because they were too cheap to properly protect themselves until after the attack. Also, the vast majority of attacks occur from within.

OMG! A Mac virus alert on the Microsoft Network!

THERE ARE NO VIRUSES!!!

I'm seriously laughing here!

OMG! Can we all at least agree on that!

This is serious BS. Humm, let's see, a virus software company saying Mac users should buy their product! Oh yea! Is that worse than an Apple employee saying that there are none? :headscratch:

After seven years of OS X THERE ARE NO MAC VIRUSES!!!!!

THERE AREA FIVE (5) PROOF OF CONCEPT MALWARE APPLICATIONS!!!!

HOW MUCH LOUDER MUST I SAY IT!

First, I work at Dell, but not in computer sales, and I just asked an Account Manager who does about Support.

Currently, Technical Support for business class notebook, (Vostro, Lattitude, or Precision), bought through a business account is North American based.

Snake Doctor, I dont mean any offence to you, but the above statement is not true. At least for the Lattitude. I am a business account customer. The people I have been having to deal with sure sound middle eastern or from India to me. Been having problems with my Business class lattitude D630 since July. My problems still are not resolved. I replaced my desktop with a HP and ass soon as this crap is over I will be buying a Toshiba. They have American business support for sure. If you would like to know the details PM me.

Chris

Snake Doctor, I dont mean any offence to you, but the above statement is not true. At least for the Lattitude. I am a business account customer. The people I have been having to deal with sure sound middle eastern or from India to me. Been having problems with my Business class lattitude D630 since July. My problems still are not resolved. I replaced my desktop with a HP and ass soon as this crap is over I will be buying a Toshiba. They have American business support for sure. If you would like to know the details PM me.

Chris

Dell business support was moved to India in 2003 but it was moved back to the US in 2004 after business customers almost revolted! Maybe something has changed or maybe you were sent to Banglagore during a peak time and India gets the over flow?

Dell business support was moved to India in 2003 but it was moved back to the US in 2004 after business customers almost revolted! Maybe something has changed or maybe you were sent to Banglagore during a peak time and India gets the over flow?

Jeff I dont know what has happened, all I know is I have been in contact with them many, many times since July and every time it goes to India or somewhere. It doesnt matter when I call. I have called in the morning, mid day, and night, and everything in between.

Chris

Chris

I am not at all offended because I do not sell or make the computers. No matter how good the product and support are, there is always going to be a percentage of bad experiences. Not that this is your case, but no manufacturer can satisfy everyone's taste in computers. Some people love MAC, and others love PC. To each their own. Jeff and I just love to bust each other's chops in playfulness.

Service agreements at the time of purchase dictate how you are handled, (I think that it's because it becomes a contract at sale), and if you bought the computer when service was in India, that's where you go. What the customer doesn't see is that there is a price for the product, and a price for the warranty, but the customer just sees the final price. Companies out-sourced support to India and the like to keep the cost of the warranty, and therefore the computer, down. Good intentions, but it blew up in many manufacturer's face.

When did you buy the computer? Did you get the standard warranty or an upgraded warranty? All upgraded service contracts such as Gold or what's now called Pro support are US based. Most Dell branded items can have service level agreements upgraded after sale.

On a serious note, I would contact Customer Care and immediately request to escalate your complaint about your issue, and raise hell until it's resolved. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!

Jeff I dont know what has happened, all I know is I have been in contact with them many, many times since July and every time it goes to India or somewhere. It doesnt matter when I call. I have called in the morning, mid day, and night, and everything in between.

Chris

Please PM me your customer number, service tag number, technical support incident number, and a short description of the problem. I'm not promising that I can do anything about it, but I'm willing to give it the old college try for a Team Shelby member.

Archived