TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need a new laptop

If your not an Apple fan like me, stick with the major PC brands. Dell, HP, IBM (which is now called Lenovo) etc. Any laptop you buy now will come with Vista. Takes a little getting used to. You'll want the biggest screen, hard drive, and memory you can afford.

If your not an Apple fan like me, stick with the major PC brands. Dell, HP, IBM (which is now called Lenovo) etc. Any laptop you buy now will come with Vista. Takes a little getting used to. You'll want the biggest screen, hard drive, and memory you can afford.

x2. Got a Compaq from Best Buy a few months ago and immediately upgraded the memory. I would go 2-3 gigs for Vista.

Get built in WiFi too.

Naturally your USB and try to get Firewire.

x2. Got a Compaq from Best Buy a few months ago and immediately upgraded the memory. I would go 2-3 gigs for Vista.

Get built in WiFi too.

Naturally your USB and try to get Firewire.

Yeah, I was gonna say Compaq, but since HP and Compaq are the same thing, I left it out. I'm actually on a Compaq laptop right now from Best Buy, but it has all HP software in it. Came with 2 gigs of memory, 160 gig hard drive and a 17" screen.

I have been looking into the Apples i like what i see! I will probly go with an apple of some sort. I had a dell it worked fairly well till my truck got hit by an IED and it didnt work well after that. I have a Toughbook now i love it but it is slow and really heavy. Not something you want to be lugging around airport for hours on end. Works great for work but i need something for home and travel. Thanks for the advice it will come in handy. I just have to convice my wife we both have ipod's and they died in about a year of owning them so she isnt a huge fan of apple right now.

Its time for a new laptop! Any suggestions. Im not a big gamer i use it mainly for the internet but i want something that is fast. The laptop i have now is really slow. Tough as hell but really slow.

Apple Macintosh. MacBook or MacBook Pro. Surf the internet without fear of malware or viruses. If needed you can still use MS Office etc.

It's a nice feeling!

I agree - I have a new HP (my second one) and love it. My wife switched from HP to Macbook last year and still does not like it (neither do I) and looks forward to the day she can get another PC. I understand that Dell makes an excellent laptop also.

Apple Macintosh. MacBook or MacBook Pro. Surf the internet without fear of malware or viruses. If needed you can still use MS Office etc.

It's a nice feeling!

And with Apple you won't get all that embedded software from downloads. If there is an application you don't want you just move it to the trash and it takes all the little embeds with it. Best part, no viruses, no system hangs and the OS is flawless.

Whatever you do dont buy a DELL. I have one and regret it everyday. Thier customer service after the sell sux. I have heard that Toshiba makes one hell of a laptop.

I agree that Dell and probably others use other countries (I think India) for their Tech Support. Drives you crazy when you can't understand what they're saying. And then they get mad because you keep asking them to repeat themselves. :banghead: But Dell makes a pretty solid machine IMO.

I agree that Dell and probably others use other countries (I think India) for their Tech Support. Drives you crazy when you can't understand what they're saying. And then they get mad because you keep asking them to repeat themselves. :banghead: But Dell makes a pretty solid machine IMO.

Apple support is in Austin TX or at your local Apple Store.

I have a Dell Latitude for three years now and its one tough laptop. Its been dropped, spilled on and even left out in the cold and the thing still works hard. When I got it I loaded it up with all the latest goodies. Of course its three years old and a fossil but the thing is fast.

First, I work at Dell, but not in computer sales, and I just asked an Account Manager who does about Support.

Currently, Technical Support for business class notebook, (Vostro, Lattitude, or Precision), bought through a business account is North American based. Also, the XPS (gaming systems) support is US based. The Technical Support for my personal "All-in-one" desktop was US based. Customer Care for all can still be either India or US based. Also, upgraded support called "Pro Support" is US based.

You can also get the notebook with a downgrade to XP Pro if you do not want Vista. The Vostro line doesn't have preloaded software unless you order it that way. It sounds like you are in the military, so if you want a business class notebook, then call into the small business sales division and make up a business info and pay with a credit card.

Dell currently holds the #1 position for notebooks.

How do Apple Computers prevent you from getting viruses??

Every Macbook is crash/virus proof and now comes with an inflated ego. It's a laptop you can BELIEVE in! Yes it can! Yes it can!

:headscratch:

:lurk:

*runs and hides*

Well viruses for Mac OS X may be rare, but even Apple recommends anti-virus software

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/apple-hints-tha.html

But things like spyware and system crashes happen no matter what computer you are on.

There's a lot of good things about Macs. I prefer Windows XP and Vista because I'm very experienced with them. For a laptop, I always suggest buying the fastest CPU and max out the RAM. Most people buy cheap laptops and are not happy with it.

But with any Windows computer, I do recommend formatting it and doing a fresh install. Here's a Dell Vista Laptop Bloatware and Reformat Guide! I've used this a couple times when I've bought my Dell XPS M1530.

Best of luck!

There are viruses/worms out there attacking MACs too. Most viruses/worms are written to attack PC's because they are vastly more common in the world. I have never suffered an attack while protecting my computer with trusted software such as Symantec, Trend Micro, etc.

Apple issues a warning w/in the past 2 days that all Mac owners should get virus protection.

I've had 1 virus in 23 years of using computers.

Apple issues a warning w/in the past 2 days that all Mac owners should get virus protection.

I've had 1 virus in 23 years of using computers.

Apple DID NOT issue a WARNING. It updated an existing technical note concerning Anti-Virus software that's been around since 1992! However when the Windows Fanboys saw the note in the "newly updated" list they jumped on it as if to imply what you have here.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/02/apple-updat...savants-lose-g/

Regardless the fact is there have been "0" in the wild viruses for the Unix based Mac OS X. There are been 5 proof of concept malware applications all of which have either required a user to enter their admin password (bad idea) or someone to have physical access to the computer, NONE of which were seen in the wild. Meanwhile there are literally tens of thousands of these things attacking Windows users each day where Anti-Virus protection is key. However these applications are also resource hogs and often create their own set of issues.

For me, contrary to the Mothership's reiterated and updated encouragement, I'm keeping my processor cycles to myself. Even so this updated, year-and-a-half old article by Apple strikes us as a preemptive move to cover some legal bases, a "just in case" article designed for today's litigious environment. Trojans (designed to fool the user into granting permission to run) and Website-based exploits that use applications, not Mac OS X itself, as the attack vectors are the issues of which Mac users should be most mindful. By all means, follow Apple's advice and "use multiple antivirus utilities." As always, everyone should backup routinely and do not visit or download files from untrusted Websites.

But when the day comes and there are lots of real threats out there for OS X coming out on a frequent basis, that's when it will be important for everybody to have some malware protection on their Macs. Until then it's one less thing I have to buy!

There are viruses/worms out there attacking MACs too. Most viruses/worms are written to attack PC's because they are vastly more common in the world. I have never suffered an attack while protecting my computer with trusted software such as Symantec, Trend Micro, etc.

THERE ARE NO, NONE, ZILCH, ZIPPO, BIG GOOSE EGG, EMPTY CITY, NULL SET, EMPTY BRACKETS, viruses/worms out there attacking Macs.

AGAIN THERE ARE NONE.

The old immunity by obscurity excuse also misses the mark when Apple's sales are through the roof and rather than compete with all the other viruses out there for Windows, and the fact most users have some form of anti-virus software, the first in the wild Mac OS virus or worm will get HUGE press! The author will be famous! Anything else is just another Windows annoyance.

Archived