TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Send 'em up!

This is from a retired military friend of my boss, whose sources are usually accurate.

He could not verify that this took place, but if it did, great!!!!!

In addition to communicating with the local air traffic control facility, aircraft are required to give the Iranian Air Defense Radar (military) a ten minute 'heads up' that they will be transiting Iranian airspace. This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them your call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, and points of origin and destination.

I just flew with a guy who overheard this conversation on the emergency frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai . It's too good not to pass along. The conversation went something like this:

Air Defense Radar: 'Unknown aircraft at (location unknown), you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace immediately we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Air Force F-22 Raptor -- Send 'em up!'

Air Defense Radar: (no response ... total silence)

There are a number of variations of this story.

For example:

http://www.whistlestopper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74661

Variations of these sorts of stories have been around for years in every service.

http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

But funny none the less!

I didn't take the time to look this up on snopes because I didn't need to. We are supposed to believe that an Iranian Air Defense radar saw a F-22 as an unidentified blip? If this were true, there would be a lot of very disappointed people at the Pentagon, Air Force, and Lockheed Martin - after all it is supposed to be STEALTHY and not show up on an Iranian Air Defense radar!

In addition, no F-22 pilot would announce that he is one.

I agree with Jeff, however, it is a funny story.

F-22 Raptor's have never been deployed to the middle east. The Pentagon won't let them be deployed anywhere outside of U.S. controlled air space.Anderson Air Force Base Guam, Yes. Kadena Air Force Base Okinawa Japan, yes. Iraq, no.

I bet if they did deploy them in Iraq, and this situation did occur by say being spotted by an Iranian jet instead of radar, that the outcome would be the same! :finger:

Put aside how cool it sounds....after spending many years working with Navy pilots I can tell you they are proffesionals to the highest degree and would never put themselves nor their aircraft in that position. Makes for a good sea story, but you do know the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale?

Well, a fairy tale starts out....Once upon a time......a sea story starts out......this ain't no shit......

Put aside how cool it sounds....after spending many years working with Navy pilots I can tell you they are proffesionals to the highest degree and would never put themselves nor their aircraft in that position. Makes for a good sea story, but you do know the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale?

Well, a fairy tale starts out....Once upon a time......a sea story starts out......this ain't no shit......

:lol:

I love a good sea story!

...after spending many years working with Navy pilots I can tell you they are proffesionals to the highest degree and would never put themselves nor their aircraft in that position...

I assume the same goes for the Air Force pilots that fly the F-22 :hysterical:

Actually, the lucky few that get to fly the F-22 are probably some of the best in the Air Force.

Archived