TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can you spot the IRS?

S7MS

Ooo...IRS would be fun as long as it works better than what was on the Cobras in 03 (think it was 03).

Are that 2011GT 500 with and alum. block :happy feet: :peelout::peelout:

Aluminum is great for the loss of weight, but have you considered the fact it cannot hold the power of a SC upgrade?....a KB would blow it apart for sure.

My understanding is it is rated to around 600hp tops...

Am I wrong there?>

Aluminum is great for the loss of weight, but have you considered the fact it cannot hold the power of a SC upgrade?....a KB would blow it apart for sure.

My understanding is it is rated to around 600hp tops...

Am I wrong there?>

Just ask any of the people who are running the enhanced blowers and/or turbos on the Ford GT which has the 5.4 but in aluminum and dry sump. I think the aluminum would hold up very well.

In addition, the Boss drag engine is an aluminum block and it makes well in excess of 1000 hp so properly constructed, aluminum is just fine.

I'm waiting for Ford to come up with an aluminum/magnesium combo block that will be even lighter a la the BMW 4 cylinder :happy feet:

Just ask any of the people who are running the enhanced blowers and/or turbos on the Ford GT which has the 5.4 but in aluminum and dry sump. I think the aluminum would hold up very well.

In addition, the Boss drag engine is an aluminum block and it makes well in excess of 1000 hp so properly constructed, aluminum is just fine.

I'm waiting for Ford to come up with an aluminum/magnesium combo block that will be even lighter a la the BMW 4 cylinder :happy feet:

$$$$$$$$$$$ :):)

Ford only went to the cast iron block because it is much less money!! There are many aluminum blocked 4.6's and 5.4's out there making 1000+ HP..look at John Mihovetz from Accufab...2000+ HP with 50lbs of boost on a 4.6 aluminum block!!!! His car runs miod 6's at over 230mph!!!

Ford only went to the cast iron block because it is much less money!! There are many aluminum blocked 4.6's and 5.4's out there making 1000+ HP..look at John Mihovetz from Accufab...2000+ HP with 50lbs of boost on a 4.6 aluminum block!!!! His car runs miod 6's at over 230mph!!!

They already had the cast iron block for other vehicle applications. I don't know if they had a 5.4 aluminum block that wasn't a dry sump on the shelf. I don't think a dry sump arrangement would fit in the GT500 underhood area without some major shuffling.

At any rate, I agree, Ford went with the iron block to save $.

Hmm, Im trying to think where I got that information, but when I was talking to the Ford Racing guys in Terlingua I had made a crack about having the aluminum block for weight balance, when asked what the GT500 needs, along with a few other things including IRS done RIGHT, but then felt like an idiot cuz I read somewhere the 5.4 Aluminum was only rated to 600 or 650 hp and felt like maybe I should have known that...On the FRPP website, maybe under crate engines? Damn short term memory...anyway, your right Moabman...the GT has aluminum...and I know someone cranking over a grand hp in his...so Sherlock Holmes Im not....1+1= :doh:

7_505533.jpg

Some say this picture shows an independent rear suspension. I am not qualified to offer an opinion...but y'all on the other hand...?

Looks like IRS to me.

• 5 weeks later...

It's a live rear axle car. The two bright spots under the car are the exhaust. Promise.

The exhaust is routed differently because the car is a convertible.

The picture is a 2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible that was taken back in September when it was still under wraps..

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

Archived