TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mustang Review

Guest staff2

FoMoCo, PLEASE take note, the next time Forbes request a vehicle for a review, ask for their zip code and send them to the nearest ford dealer to order/buy the car they would want to review. Next time send them a clay mock-up, or better yet JUST SAY NO!

This is an interesting take on the Mustang convertible. First let's compare it to Corvette coupe rather than the $53K convertible. Let's see, it costs a mere 60% more to purchase a ragtop Vette, that's a fair comparison. Then let's compared to a Lexus ES330, which is in the same price range, certainly luxurious and very smooth. But, is it fun to drive?...NO WAY! Why not compare it to a full tilt minivan, they're in the same price range.

Next, let's be snobby. If you wear a tie and drive a Mustang convertible, you're having a mid-life crisis...Can the same be said for all those tie-wearing Ferrari, Porsche, 350Z, Corvette, Z4, Jag and Miata drivers? Hmm....

Color scheme. I'm not a Red on Red on Red kind of guy myself, but I know I can buy the car in a multitude of color schemes, many of which are more my style.

Could Ford have invested in a more sophisticated rear suspension? Yes. Maybe a few more bucks in the interior? Yes. Personally I would have liked it if the Auto trans was lifted directly from the T-Bird/LS so that it had the SelectShift feature. I'm guessing some of the wish list items will become available over the next few years. In the meantime, the Mustang GT convertible is a fun to drive, kick in the pants bargain, with no real peers.

I was going to say that he just doesn't "get it," but after reading his glowing review of the GT, I really don't think that's the case. Maybe he was just bullied one too many times as a child or something.

If anything, his completely irrelevant comparisons based solely on a single bit of available criteria have inspired me to challenge my boss to a dramatic quarter mile showdown between his 190 hp '81 Corvette and my 201 hp '02 Escape.

BRING IT ON, BABY!!!

I love Fords - I own several of them, from new and old, including a 1990 Mustang GT. That said, I just can't dogpile on Lienert, because he makes some valid (and painful) points. Foremost, the 2005 Mustang's interior IS cheesy even for an $18k car, and never mind the comparisons he makes to $30k Japanese hardware. One look inside a new $18k Jetta is all it takes to drive this point home. Also, the point was made that Chevrolet feels its Corvette is sharp-looking and fast enough to command a premium ($40k+) price, so why does Ford feel the need to aim so low with Mustang? This is also a valid point: Ford may be targeting a different market segment for now, but eventually they will be trying to sell a $40k+ upmarket Cobra Mustang against the C6, and that just brings us back to the cheesy interior appointments. Doesn't anyone besides me feel that the new Shelby/Cobra/GT500 watchamacallit deserves a better steering wheel than what's being offered - a base model wheel with a snake sticker? Ford, please wake up and smell the coffee; even the aforementioned VW offers a sporty optional 3-spoke steering wheel to buyers who want it!

I will give Ford's Mustang team credit where it is due - the cheap thrills are there in spades, and the car is a big step forward from the outgoing Mustang. But IMO, the Mustang is a little too retro cheesy, and also a little too late in arriving. I wrote to Ford back in 1996-97, begging them to build the replacement for my '90 Mustang - a plain vanilla $18,500 Mustang LX V8 with 4-wheel discs and a Lincoln Mark-VIII 290hp dohc V8. Well they built it alright, but not until 2003, in the form of a $29k Mach1. Thanks for nothing Ford. I won't jump ship and buy a GTO or vette, but I think I'll just keep turd-polishing my '90 GT for now, until you build something that is actually worth what you're asking.

Wait... so on one hand you think Ford is aiming too low with the Mustang, yet at the same time it's not worth what they're asking?

I think the interior looks great. It suits the exterior perfectly. Sure, they could've slapped an uninspiring Jetta-esque cockpit into the Mustang (not quite sure what's so impressive about the VW) but that wouldn't have made sense no matter how you look at it. Besides, the Mustang (or any other American muscle car for that matter) has never been about having a luxurious, upscale interior. Even the Corvette is just now breaking free of the bland '80s interior it's had for years.

Oh, and just for the sake of discussion, the Shelby's steering wheel isn't just a "base model wheel with a snake sticker." It's leather-wrapped like the GT with perforated leather in place of the aluminum spokes. But I see what you're getting at... the fact that it's all black does give it a V6 appearance upon first glance.

Although, I think a nice woodgrain wheel would kick ass, "retro cheese" or not. ;)

Anyone been unfortunate enough to meet Dan Lienert in person?

Then u would know why he relates to geek/dork !

I do however agree about FORDS color choices/combo.......that red on red

is terrible, butt ugly! As usual FORD only promotes the truck/suv divisions.

When was the last time anyone saw a T-Bird ad or a Linc. LS?......the

Mustang is the exception........it sells on its own.....I called my dealer about

ordering a '06 GT.......if we did the paperwork today I might see it by March!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my faveorite part is the comparo to the is300..... at the time lexus had already announced and shown the is250 replacement. and oh btw i am wondering the last time someone was shopping between americas faveorite sports car to a luxury, hardly enough power to get out of its own way.. car.

whatever to each his own, but the guy has to realize thast you can be sitting in a gt coupe for a scrap over 25 grand, and thats almost 20 less then the corvette coupe. and same goes for the difference to the convertible.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe if ford offered up a Forbe$ edition with a 'less brutal application of power', a quiet muffler(one would do) no floormats, and some shiny woodgrained plastic tape on the console- of course the Ipod mount, starbucks coffeeholder, and built in handsfree cellphone, say sell it in earthtone colors, for the mid 30's (it could be a v6) oh nevermind...ford would have to just build a freakin honda to 'compete' in this dudes eyes.

he disliked the car for being exactly what it is- a vehicle built to impress the driver, not his upscale neighbors. doubt if he got any rubber in second- oh my the brutal power would just be too intense...is this the guy that gave the prius a 'most fun' rating- OOOH, trying to peak that mpg display- theres a way to have some excitement...

I know one thing, I betcha I used up more rubber today than one of his 'better' cars would use in a year...he shoulda complained about that too...but I had fun today :)

Archived