TEAM SHELBY FORUM

coupe vs vert coil springs

jcaruso

does anyone know the difference between coupe and vert coil springs?? is there a height or load rating difference? thanks .

ok i just got off the phone with frpp tech support and they said that there suspension handling will not work with the verts he also said that all the parts will fit but everything on the vert and coupes are different ,it wont handle right and also wont sit right. also he doesnt think anyone offers a pack for the verts yet. so is there any vert owners that have used anything they can let me know about like sway bars, springs, dampeners...ect any help would be great. thanks

ok i just got off the phone with frpp tech support and they said that there suspension handling will not work with the verts he also said that all the parts will fit but everything on the vert and coupes are different ,it wont handle right and also wont sit right. also he doesnt think anyone offers a pack for the verts yet. so is there any vert owners that have used anything they can let me know about like sway bars, springs, dampeners...ect any help would be great. thanks

Sorry, no reflection on you, but that does not make sense. My Super Snake has FRPP suspension on it that was installed by SAI during it's conversion. My car has a great ride and handles like it's on rails.

Sorry, no reflection on you, but that does not make sense. My Super Snake has FRPP suspension on it that was installed by SAI during it's conversion. My car has a great ride and handles like it's on rails.

you didnt get any part #'s by any chance with the conversion did you

you didnt get any part #'s by any chance with the conversion did you

I did but I have to look them up. It would be faster for you to contact Bud Mahoney at SAI, I know that he could tell you the numbers immeadately.

(702) 942-7325. Ask for Bud.

The vert weighs about 160 lbs more in the ass end. FRPP makes a big deal out of this I'm sure it's a legal/safety issue. For a year now they've been telling us the vert springs are in the works but I doubt they are working on them sine there are so many less verts. I've heard several members did the FRPP and they work fine. I've been dragging my feet for over a year but I think we'll pull the trigger this winter.

Let us know what SAI has to say.

Thanks and Good luck

Steeda offers springs specifically geared towards the convertible. I really don't know why Ford Racing doesn't carry them.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_gt500_springs.php

The vert weighs about 160 lbs more in the ass end. FRPP makes a big deal out of this I'm sure it's a legal/safety issue. For a year now they've been telling us the vert springs are in the works but I doubt they are working on them sine there are so many less verts. I've heard several members did the FRPP and they work fine. I've been dragging my feet for over a year but I think we'll pull the trigger this winter.

Let us know what SAI has to say.

Thanks and Good luck

Your probably right about the legal issue but 160 lbs shouldn't be any different than having two people in the back seat or a trunk full of sound equipment.

According to the supplemental manual the front springs are 9% softer and the rears are 21% softer than the coupe. The tires are softer with 32psi versus the coupes 35psi. Also, a smaller rear swaybar. The softer springs & tires and smaller swaybar are specifically because the convertible is not as stiff as the coupe and this is a way for Ford to reduce flex shake. It has to do with cutting the top off, not so much the weight difference. All you have to do it take one of the country roads around my area and watch the windshield shake around to understand flex shake.

Here's a discussion we had about it. Vert Rigid Ride, Why?

I know several vert owners are running the FRPP suspension system and many of the other setups including Griggs, Steeda, etc. Still trying to decide what I want to do.

Ok, what's everyone running on their verts? Anyone running a height adjustable setup?

The Kit works great on the verts! I have exact heights for a coupe and my vert before and after. It did not move the rear end over alot ( 1/8") in fact it brought it a bit closer to center. Worked with the guys at FRPP and sent them the info as they wanted to know. They have others that have done this, but you are right the offical stance is the kit M-2007-FR3SVT is not designed for the vert. Here are what we came up with as far as mesurments. Had a nice format layed out but could not copy it over, cars not computers are what I work on. Hopefully you get the idea and this helps.

GT500 Coupe Stock suspension measurements

GT500 Coupe / Vert Stock suspension measurements at the top of the wheelwell were,

Coupe LF 28 ½” RF 28 ¼” LR 29 ¾” RR 29 ¾”

Vert LF 28 ¼” RF 28 3/8” LR 29 3/8” RR 29 ½ ”

Coupe L & R spoiler edge 6 1/2" from the ground.

Vert L & R spoiler edge 6 " from the ground

AFTER installation measurements at the top of the wheelwell were,

Coupe LF 27 ½ RF 27 ½” LR 28 1/8” RR 28 ¼”

Vert LF 27 ¾” RF 27 5/8” LR 27 7/8” RR 27 ¾”

change from stock

Coupe LF -1” RF -3/4” LR -1 5/8” RR-1 1/2”

Vert LF -1/2” RF -3/4” LR -1 ½” RR-1 ¾”

Coupe L & R spoiler edge 5 1/2" from the ground. -1.0

Vert L & R spoiler edge 5 5/8" from the ground -3/8

The Kit works great on the verts! I have exact heights for a coupe and my vert before and after. It did not move the rear end over alot ( 1/8") in fact it brought it a bit closer to center. Worked with the guys at FRPP and sent them the info as they wanted to know. They have others that have done this, but you are right the offical stance is the kit M-2007-FR3SVT is not designed for the vert. Here are what we came up with as far as mesurments. Had a nice format layed out but could not copy it over, cars not computers are what I work on. Hopefully you get the idea and this helps.

GT500 Coupe Stock suspension measurements

GT500 Coupe / Vert Stock suspension measurements at the top of the wheelwell were,

Coupe LF 28 ½” RF 28 ¼” LR 29 ¾” RR 29 ¾”

Vert LF 28 ¼” RF 28 3/8” LR 29 3/8” RR 29 ½ ”

Coupe L & R spoiler edge 6 1/2" from the ground.

Vert L & R spoiler edge 6 " from the ground

change from stock

Thanks! Great info. :salute: I think the FRPP system in a great bang for the buck. I think Ford is hesitant to recommend this for the verts because of the body flex and that a stiffer/lower suspension might exaggerate it and/or cause other problems. What is your impression of the ride quality of the vert versus coupe after the FRPP suspension?

ok so right after you posted th # for sai i called them. left message with all info still have not got a call back so i'll try again tomorrow. meanwhile i called downs ford ( i live about 45 mins from in jersey) i spoke to there motorsport guy he said he has done several verts there with the frpp susp kit and he personaly takes them all for a ride and has seen no difference in the handling and performance between the coupes and verts. said the vert look is almost alittle more level then coupe. im gonna wait to talk to sai before i do anything.. but it will be soon. thanks for all the info johnmichael..

Thanks! Great info. :salute: I think the FRPP system in a great bang for the buck. I think Ford is hesitant to recommend this for the verts because of the body flex and that a stiffer/lower suspension might exaggerate it and/or cause other problems. What is your impression of the ride quality of the vert versus coupe after the FRPP suspension?

For the vert, On initial install I set the shocks at 2 turns from soft. Drove the car and felt it was too soft. It felt as if there was not enough rebound control. Wife thought it felt softer than stock setup. Changed the shocks from 2 to 3 turns. This got rid of the bounce/porpoise feel and the car firmed up a bit. The car now has a great ride and proper stance and improved handling without sacrificing the drivability of the car.

The coupe had the shocks set full firm and I thought that was a bit rough for the street but that was the way he wanted it and he loves it. That is why the shocks are adjustable. It's nice to be able to fine tune the ride and handling with an eazy turn. So if you want to cruise up PCH (sorry snowed in Verts) with the top down you can or crank the shocks up and play in the mountians twisties. Hope that helps.

For the vert, On initial install I set the shocks at 2 turns from soft. Drove the car and felt it was too soft. It felt as if there was not enough rebound control. Wife thought it felt softer than stock setup. Changed the shocks from 2 to 3 turns. This got rid of the bounce/porpoise feel and the car firmed up a bit. The car now has a great ride and proper stance and improved handling without sacrificing the drivability of the car.

The coupe had the shocks set full firm and I thought that was a bit rough for the street but that was the way he wanted it and he loves it. That is why the shocks are adjustable. It's nice to be able to fine tune the ride and handling with an eazy turn. So if you want to cruise up PCH (sorry snowed in Verts) with the top down you can or crank the shocks up and play in the mountians twisties. Hope that helps.

Did you leave the stock 18" wheels? And if you go to 20" Super Snake wheels, will there be any issues?

I have been debating the handling kit for my '08 GT500 Vert and get the same run around from FRPP...

I want to add the handling kit with the 20" wheels with some Nitto street/strip tires and was wondering if it will all work together...

post-22594-1228532268_thumb.jpg

post-22594-1228532268_thumb.jpg

ok so right after you posted th # for sai i called them. left message with all info still have not got a call back so i'll try again tomorrow. meanwhile i called downs ford ( i live about 45 mins from in jersey) i spoke to there motorsport guy he said he has done several verts there with the frpp susp kit and he personaly takes them all for a ride and has seen no difference in the handling and performance between the coupes and verts. said the vert look is almost alittle more level then coupe. im gonna wait to talk to sai before i do anything.. but it will be soon. thanks for all the info johnmichael..

What about using Eibach Pro System Plus kits... Is this a better system than the FRPP system? Will it even work on the vert? Anyone tried anything other than the FRPP?

Did you leave the stock 18" wheels? And if you go to 20" Super Snake wheels, will there be any issues?

I have been debating the handling kit for my '08 GT500 Vert and get the same run around from FRPP...

I want to add the handling kit with the 20" wheels with some Nitto street/strip tires and was wondering if it will all work together...

Both cars have the stock wheels and tires. No clearance issue's. Many factors affect the issue of clearance. rim width, offset/backspacing, tire size all come into play when trying to put larger wheels and tires on any car. I do not know but I would think that the Super Snake wheel/tire package would fit as the Super Snakes are lowered. How much I do not know, maybe some here know's the answer. :headscratch:

change from stock

White GT500:

Does the vehicle need a re- alignment after the FRPP kit is installed?

Archived