TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford CEO to work for $1

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28012984

Is this symbolic BS, or is it just me? How in the heck is this going to change anything when they do things such as paying many or their employees 98% of their income to not work?

Snake Doctor,

It is more than symbolic BS. Alan Mullally did not fashion the union agreements that created the jobs bank and other crippling UAW baggage. All of that existed prior to his arrival at Ford Motor Company. Nor is he able to unilaterally jettisoned them. Just as Lee Iacocca did in the 1980s, Alan Mullally is willing to work for one dollar a year plus stock options that will only become valuable if Ford Motor Company's turnaround succeeds. He is asking Congress and United States taxpayers to lay a lot of money on the line to give Ford a chance to succeed. He is demonstrating that he is willing to lay his personal finances on the line as well. When Chrysler successfully rebounded in the 1980s Lee Iacocca made a fortune on his stock options and his gamble paid off handsomely. Perhaps Alan Mullally's will as well.

Chip

Didn't Lee Iococca do the same thing back in the day?

I don't remember. Back then I was too young to give a crap.

In a way I share my wife's feelings that it was VERY rude of congress to ask them to work for a dollar. The country is F'd-up, and you don't see those asses in congress working for $1. Heck, they've voted for raises while the country's in debt!

I don't remember. Back then I was too young to give a crap.

In a way I share my wife's feelings that it was VERY rude of congress to ask them to work for a dollar. The country is F'd-up, and you don't see those asses in congress working for $1. Heck, they've voted for raises while the country's in debt!

QFT!

I say Congress' salary should be based on their approval rating.

Snake Doctor,

It is more than symbolic BS. Alan Mullally did not fashion the union agreements that created the jobs bank and other crippling UAW baggage. All of that existed prior to his arrival at Ford Motor Company. Nor is he able to unilaterally jettisoned them. Just as Lee Iacocca did in the 1980s, Alan Mullally is willing to work for one dollar a year plus stock options that will only become valuable if Ford Motor Company's turnaround succeeds. He is asking Congress and United States taxpayers to lay a lot of money on the line to give Ford a chance to succeed. He is demonstrating that he is willing to lay his personal finances on the line as well. When Chrysler successfully rebounded in the 1980s Lee Iacocca made a fortune on his stock options and his gamble paid off handsomely. Perhaps Alan Mullally's will as well.

Chip

+1

I can see a censer confident guy that has what it takes to get Ford out of the trouble, he knows business..... :happy feet: Alan Mulally rocks :happy feet:

Snake Doctor,

Chip

My point was that the problems are greater than his salary. No one should be asked, as he was, to work for a dollar. It was grand-standing by the congress to ask it. I can understand not paying them ridiculous salaries, but one dollar? Come on! IMHO, both management and labor should make drastic changes to save the industry, but I didn't see the union boss being asked to go to his members with dollar salaries.

My point was that the problems are greater than his salary. No one should be asked, as he was, to work for a dollar. It was grand-standing by the congress to ask it. I can understand not paying them ridiculous salaries, but one dollar? Come on! IMHO, both management and labor should make drastic changes to save the industry, but I didn't see the union boss being asked to go to his members with dollar salaries.

I've seen some of those interviews that Congress is giving. It goes without saying that most of them do not have a clue about how executive management works. They are the definition of what red tape and process inefficiencies are all about.

But the salary thing is really a symbol of commitment. Tie their pay to performance ONLY. You bet your shiny lug nuts there's going to be cuts across the board to make the company leaner. I think it's a legitimate step on the road to recovery.

Archived