TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GLHS unable to get some love.

black86glhs

My daughter gets into a discussion with some other kids at school about cars. She mentions I have a Shelby. The others ask if its a gt350 or gt500. She says no, its a GLHS. One kid has given her crap about it for a few weeks. Saying it didn't exist and I made it up. Finally he mentions it to his father and the guy starts spouting that its a piece of crap, blah, blah, blah. :censored:

Talk about not getting any love, lol. :cry: I'm not putting down the Mustangs in any way, but we all have read the S can take the GT350. :shift: I don't know if this kids father has a Shelby, but he does have many cars. Someone else stated it best, after the story was filtered through a few people, he probably just heard Dodge Omni. Oh well, I know what I have and love seeing it parked in the driveway. After I get it back in shape, maybe I'll pick up my girl up from school one day and leave a couple black marks in the process.

So according to this kids father Carroll built and drives a piece of crap? Too funny.

The biggest problem the Shelby Dodge cars have had is the bashing from the press for the last 15 years or so. These journalists seem to have some sort of superior attitude towards these cars and I always chuckle when they refer to them as K cars. Perhaps they should research the cars they hate before talking smack and maybe they would realize that an L body GLHS is not a K car.

The best part is although the press has been bashing the Dodge cars for the last 15 years Carroll has continuely praised them during the same time and still owns several of them.

Steve

So according to this kids father Carroll built and drives a piece of crap? Too funny.

The biggest problem the Shelby Dodge cars have had is the bashing from the press for the last 15 years or so. These journalists seem to have some sort of superior attitude towards these cars and I always chuckle when they refer to them as K cars. Perhaps they should research the cars they hate before talking smack and maybe they would realize that an L body GLHS is not a K car.

The best part is although the press has been bashing the Dodge cars for the last 15 years Carroll has continuely praised them during the same time and still owns several of them.

Steve

Well, it is a piece of crap. But, that doesn't mean it isn't quick, responsive and fun to drive! Actually, the initial press regarding the GLHS's was very positive. I've also read many mostly enthusiastic references to the S cars over the years as well. Their speed and capabilities cannot be denied, but their econobox roots are also tough to ignore. I am still amazed at the relatively low prices that the Scars(and the CSX's for that matter) command. I still believe that picking up a nice 86-89 Whittier car would be a smart purchase.

Well, it is a piece of crap. But, that doesn't mean it isn't quick, responsive and fun to drive! Actually, the initial press regarding the GLHS's was very positive. I've also read many mostly enthusiastic references to the S cars over the years as well. Their speed and capabilities cannot be denied, but their econobox roots are also tough to ignore. I am still amazed at the relatively low prices that the Scars(and the CSX's for that matter) command. I still believe that picking up a nice 86-89 Whittier car would be a smart purchase.

SWB,

GLHS's Rock! :happy feet: Can't wait to see you and your wife again. Bea says hi...

Stuart

That is what I was getting at. It really was just a simple econobox with power, exactly like the Mustang when it came out. The story goes that Mr Shelby told Mr Iacocca he wasn't interested in doing anything with the Mustang, it was a secretaries car. I'll bet most people don't know this.

When I was younger I had the GM only attitude. :doh: However, I have come full circle and can appreciate the indivdual auto on its abilities, not just the maker's symbol. I really do think the whole thing is funny. :hysterical:

As a GLHS owner and a vintage Shelby owner. The GLHS are a blast. Your daughters friends father has no clue and doesn't know what he is missing. The Omni GLHS is the GODFATHER to all the current tuner cars. It is a blast to go out and rip some doors off. We beat them in the straight line and in the curves. Get your car on the road and give that man an education.

That is what I was getting at. It really was just a simple econobox with power, exactly like the Mustang when it came out. The story goes that Mr Shelby told Mr Iacocca he wasn't interested in doing anything with the Mustang, it was a secretaries car. I'll bet most people don't know this.

When I was younger I had the GM only attitude. :doh: However, I have come full circle and can appreciate the indivdual auto on its abilities, not just the maker's symbol. I really do think the whole thing is funny. :hysterical:

Yep, blow it off. It could still happen even if you were to buy a new Super Snake Mustang and a Chevy or Dodge guy told you it's garbage and is no Corvette or Viper. Can't please everybody all the time.

Well, it is a piece of crap.

Having owned a 1994 Porsche 911 widebody, a 1998 Twin Turbo Supra (low 11's quarter mile), a 1995 Twin Turbo RX7 and many other sports cars, I can tell you that my current GLHS is anything but a piece of crap. I don't think you'd want to race me and my GLHS around the track. As for being a smart buy, maybe and maybe not, but I can tell you one thing, it's all smiles behind the wheel. Check it out at cardomain.com. Type in 1986 GLHS and its the first car that comes up. Now when are we gonna race and which 100k car are you gonna bring :shift:

Having owned a 1994 Porsche 911 widebody, a 1998 Twin Turbo Supra (low 11's quarter mile), a 1995 Twin Turbo RX7 and many other sports cars, I can tell you that my current GLHS is anything but a piece of crap. I don't think you'd want to race me and my GLHS around the track. As for being a smart buy, maybe and maybe not, but I can tell you one thing, it's all smiles behind the wheel. Check it out at cardomain.com. Type in 1986 GLHS and its the first car that comes up. Now when are we gonna race and which 100k car are you gonna bring :shift:

He was saying it is a piece of crap in the most loving way. :extinguish:

Piece of crap is a harsh way of saying 80's economy car. :heartbreaker:

OK, so its a nice piece of "crap". I've got two. One, equally nice with similar mods and another with far more extensive mods set up to road race. So, yes I know what one will do. I've purchased a few new and have owned over a dozen of the damn things. I've also raced them in various venues since they were new and done what I could to represent the Shelby Dodges in a positive fashion.

Lets get real for a moment , though. The Omni(especially a 30 year old one) is a flexy chassis'd, rattly econobox built as cheaply as possible. Mr. Shelby worked wonders with them and obviously I enjoy them, but let's not pretend they are something that they are not. Just as the '65 Shelby had a tough time with the '86 GLHS prototype on the track, technology has continued to improve the breed.

Nice collection of cars that you've owned. I won't bore you with my list of cars or track experience.

He was saying it is a piece of crap in the most loving way. :extinguish:

Piece of crap is a harsh way of saying 80's economy car. :heartbreaker:

True. It's a term of endearment in the Shelby Dodge community. :hysterical3:

OK, so its a nice piece of "crap". I've got two. One, equally nice with similar mods and another with far more extensive mods set up to road race.

Ok, I didn't know that as I'm one of the new guys here. If you own at least one, your allowed to call them a piece of crap! Kind of like the racist jokes, they can only be made by that race....about that race. We'll you know what I mean.

What kind of mods does your road racer have and is it a 86 GLHS?

Ok, I didn't know that as I'm one of the new guys here. If you own at least one, your allowed to call them a piece of crap! Kind of like the racist jokes, they can only be made by that race....about that race. We'll you know what I mean.

What kind of mods does your road racer have and is it a 86 GLHS?

No worries!

My road racer is an 86 S car. Its mods include: IMSA billet crank, custom pistons, GT30R bb turbo, 3" side exhaust, menegon head, TU header, fuel rail, 3'SV, 568 w/Quaife, custom axles by the King of Cheap Speed, big brakes, full cage, carbon Stand 21 seat, Cobra style front valance mounted oil cooler, bars, springs, Co, 16' custom Volks, bumpers removed and filled, blah, blah, blah. Add all ingredients, mix well and finish the whole mess off with a sublime green paint job with AAR stripes-Yikes!

Here is a pic of the Uber Omni(with the old wheels) and its stable mate fresh from its Terlingua adventure.

terlingua005rs9.th.jpg

glhsand440017kr3.th.jpg

I know little to nothing about the old Dodges that Shelby built, but I definitely like the idea of them and I can't imagine they're very expensive.

I'm wondering if anyone has a good resource for buying one of these?

I don't really trust what I see on eBay anymore (after getting burned on my 66 fastback). Are there any sites dedicated to these little cars and finding them a new home?

Thanks for any info!

Ken

I know little to nothing about the old Dodges that Shelby built, but I definitely like the idea of them and I can't imagine they're very expensive.

I'm wondering if anyone has a good resource for buying one of these?

I don't really trust what I see on eBay anymore (after getting burned on my 66 fastback). Are there any sites dedicated to these little cars and finding them a new home?

Thanks for any info!

Ken

Ken

We can help you right here. First off you have a real good jump start being in California as like all older cars ours have no rust to deal with.

Ebay and Craigslist are the best places to see whats for sale. Of course you can always let us know which car you're interested in and some of us can be on the hunt with you. Robert Lane was looking for a 1986 GLHS and a SoCal member found a great one within weeks for him to check out.

And you are right they are not very expensive so its much easier to drive them like you stole them.

Let us know how we can help and we will do our best.

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks a ton for the offer to help me out.

I haven't searched for one online for awhile, so I'll hop on eBay and craigs and let you and the others know when I find something that I need your input on.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of one for sale in Northern California, please do let me know! Thanks again.

Ken

No worries!

My road racer is an 86 S car. Its mods include: IMSA billet crank, custom pistons, GT30R bb turbo, 3" side exhaust, menegon head, TU header, fuel rail, 3'SV, 568 w/Quaife, custom axles by the King of Cheap Speed, big brakes, full cage, carbon Stand 21 seat, Cobra style front valance mounted oil cooler, bars, springs, Co, 16' custom Volks, bumpers removed and filled, blah, blah, blah. Add all ingredients, mix well and finish the whole mess off with a sublime green paint job with AAR stripes-Yikes!

Here is a pic of the Uber Omni(with the old wheels) and its stable mate fresh from its Terlingua adventure.

terlingua005rs9.th.jpg

glhsand440017kr3.th.jpg

Nice, thanks for the pic and the info. So your the owner of the car in the Shelby Annual, thanks for representing.

One comment thou, Carroll missed the boat when he didn't make all GLHS's in Lime Green :salute:

This guy is calling this a Shelby, but I don't see any badging?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charg...%3A1|240%3A1318

Is this just a car that Carroll consulted on or am I missing something?

Ken

Hi Ken. I hope your a future Shelby Dodge owner as they will offer more smiles for the money than most vehicles out there. You will be able to find a low mile (under 40k) mile original Shelby Dodge for 7-11k, especially in this economy.

Check out this link for information about the Shelby Dodges. It explains the difference in Shelby Dodges and explains what the Daytona Shelby is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_Shelby

Good luck and I know I'm biased but the 1986 is what I'd recommend.

OK, so its a nice piece of "crap". I've got two. One, equally nice with similar mods and another with far more extensive mods set up to road race. So, yes I know what one will do. I've purchased a few new and have owned over a dozen of the damn things. I've also raced them in various venues since they were new and done what I could to represent the Shelby Dodges in a positive fashion.

Lets get real for a moment , though. The Omni(especially a 30 year old one) is a flexy chassis'd, rattly econobox built as cheaply as possible. Mr. Shelby worked wonders with them and obviously I enjoy them, but let's not pretend they are something that they are not. Just as the '65 Shelby had a tough time with the '86 GLHS prototype on the track, technology has continued to improve the breed.

Nice collection of cars that you've owned. I won't bore you with my list of cars or track experience.

You know, our monthly craptastic meeting is tomorrow night, I'll be be bringing some of my crap and I'll be expecting you to do the same. I found this thread amusing, I'm kinda glad I found it after it reached fruition :lol:

Alan

This guy is calling this a Shelby, but I don't see any badging?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charg...%3A1|240%3A1318

Is this just a car that Carroll consulted on or am I missing something?

Ken

Ken,

Do a bit of 'reading up' on the various Shelby Dodge models and decide which body style you like best. I've owned at least one of each (actually not an 86 GLHS yet but maybe someday ^_^ ) and they all have very different personalities. Might also help to know what you want the car for, weekend racer? Sunday cruiser with the family? Just to be the envy of all your neighbors (OK, I made that one up :P ). I am on very good terms with the founder and former president of the California Shelby Dodge Auto Club ;) and he/we can find you just about any flavor Shelby Dodge you want. As far as pricing, timing is everything but $5K gets you a nice example and $10-12K gets you a VERY nice example. How about a zero mile car? Check out Geisswein motors, I think they still have a new CSX and Shelby Lancer. BTW, the Shelby Lancer may have been my favorite model for all around Shelby Dodge. Way more comfy/balenced than the little 86-87 pocket rocket S cars...

Alan

Here's a photo of what I'm especially interested in, the 87 Shelby Charger.

That little Omni would be cool too, but I like the look of the Charger a lot better.

Any idea of what kind of price range I'd be looking at for one of these?

Availability? Thanks again.

Ken

post-20883-1228447805_thumb.jpg

post-20883-1228447805_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of what I'm especially interested in, the 87 Shelby Charger.

That little Omni would be cool too, but I like the look of the Charger a lot better.

Any idea of what kind of price range I'd be looking at for one of these?

Availability? Thanks again.

Ken

Prices for the '87 GLHS's are across the board. Recent sales that I am aware of include a running/driving example for 800. to a very nice,slightly modded car for 11K. Most trade in the 3500-6500 range.

I'll look under some rocks for ya Ken B) Are you willing to travel/ship for a really nice example? I assume you want a higher end of the Spectrum GLHS right? There was a car in Phoenix earlier this year that didn't sell yet I think... Lemme check it out.

Alan

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f30/13...ght=glhs+%23306

My dads 87 #306. New paint and stickers. I polished the wheels. Has brand new top end, S60 turbo, PT lifter mod, TBI cam, so on. I also ceramic coated the exhaust manifold (ported) and the exhaust turbine and the 2.5" SV. I am installing a new clutch and a 2.5" exhaust this winter and a freeze plug. Bought it from a Honda owner and he tried to work on it, OMG import people need a role model. But the clutch is the last thing on that list. Pictures are with the nasty brown TC Masi floor mats that make the carpet look faded lol. If some one else doesn't buy it I will some day lol. But I have so many cars now though..

BTW one photo is in my gallery here, forgot TD.com wants you to make a name to view photos there.

Archived