TEAM SHELBY FORUM

20 Questions for the Press

Has anyone else ever used "The Office of the President Elect" on a podium before?

Since the election, there have been -- as a rough guess -- approximately 3,000 news stories about Sarah Palin and roughly, oh, three about Joe Biden. Since when has it been more important to cover the losing Vice-Presidential candidate than the Vice-President elect?

Is there an "Office of the Vice-President Elect"?

Will it ever be acceptable to use the President Elect's full name, Barack Hussein Obama II? Will the first time some people hear his middle name said in public be when he's sworn in as President?

Following this month's Democrat victory, is it finally okay to call liberals, liberals? Or must we still call them progressives, instead?

When, if ever, will it be possible to criticize Barack Obama and not be called a racist?

Having already compared Obama to Abraham Lincoln, FDR and Jesus Christ, what superlative comparisons does that leave to use once he's been in office?

During, and after, the election we saw polls of how almost every demographic would, or, did vote -- except for journalists. When will you ever report how you in the media voted?

Does Chris Matthews still get a thrill up his leg when Obama speaks?

The Obama campaign raised and spent almost twice as much as President Bush did in 2004 to win approximately 1.5% more of the public vote, despite economic and political conditions that should have guaranteed a landslide. Will you report what Obama policies made people so reluctant to vote for him?

Will you probe voter registration, and voting, irregularities connected to ACORN now, in time to make changes before the next election, or will we be hearing about them again in four years?

Will you pursue allegations of illegal donations to the Obama campaign with the same fervor that you investigated President Bush's dismissal of U.S. Attorneys for failing to pursue voter fraud?

Even the enemy has admitted that Iraq and Afghanistan are different fronts of the same war. Why do you continue to report them as two separate wars?

Having admitted ex post facto to "disgusting" bias in helping the President-Elect win, will you pledge to not help him win re-election four years from now?

When was the last time that an incoming administration was setting policy before taking office, and how did you report it?

Since the Vice-President Elect has publicly guaranteed that the new administration will be tested abroad, from where, and when, will that test come?

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/12/pla...with_the_1.html

Well, research will show there is an office of the president elect and it would make sense - albeit kind of silly - to use it on a podium. I was taken aback a bit the first time I saw it as well but these days everyone needs a title it seems.

As far as the office of the vice president elect I believe that would fall under the transitional team.

Has anyone else ever used "The Office of the President Elect" on a podium before?

I have no idea and I, and I think we as a nation, have more important things to worry about don't you? :finger:

Since the election, there have been -- as a rough guess -- approximately 3,000 news stories about Sarah Palin and roughly, oh, three about Joe Biden. Since when has it been more important to cover the losing Vice-Presidential candidate than the Vice-President elect?

Easy, Palin sells! :hysterical:

Is there an "Office of the Vice-President Elect"?

No idea...I guess you could google it. :doh:

Will it ever be acceptable to use the President Elect's full name, Barack Hussein Obama II? Will the first time some people hear his middle name said in public be when he's sworn in as President?

Sure! Why not? There are a lot of people named "Hussein"! Really it was never an issue of his name but the way people used it in a lame attempt to make it some sort of issue. Like BOLDING it or putting it between quotations, etc., as if to imply something. :finger:

Following this month's Democrat victory, is it finally okay to call liberals, liberals? Or must we still call them progressives, instead?

You can call them anything you like! Only difference now is one of them you have to call Mr. President. :happy feet:

When, if ever, will it be possible to criticize Barack Obama and not be called a racist?

Didn't know it wasn't possible!?!? I think Palin and McCain did a lot and I don't remember anyone calling them racist :headscratch:

Having already compared Obama to Abraham Lincoln, FDR and Jesus Christ, what superlative comparisons does that leave to use once he's been in office?

Hey...give him a chance to start to govern, I have a book on 100 of the Greatest American's, there are a lot more! No worries! :shift:

During, and after, the election we saw polls of how almost every demographic would, or, did vote -- except for journalists. When will you ever report how you in the media voted?

I don't think there are enough to make their vote statistically significant. Do you think it should be broken down by employer too? CNN, Fox, etc?

Does Chris Matthews still get a thrill up his leg when Obama speaks?

That's just strange. :baby:

The Obama campaign raised and spent almost twice as much as President Bush did in 2004 to win approximately 1.5% more of the public vote, despite economic and political conditions that should have guaranteed a landslide. Will you report what Obama policies made people so reluctant to vote for him?

No idea, maybe when they're done pointing out all the people that were reluctant to vote for McCain? I mean if you're question's assumption is correct that would mean the Republican candidate was REALLY BAD right? :doh:

Will you probe voter registration, and voting, irregularities connected to ACORN now, in time to make changes before the next election, or will we be hearing about them again in four years?

I can't say what states will do but if not Acorn it will be someone else. Maybe they can do that while they investigate the Republican voter culling tactics?

Will you pursue allegations of illegal donations to the Obama campaign with the same fervor that you investigated President Bush's dismissal of U.S. Attorneys for failing to pursue voter fraud?

How can you seriously compare these? This is truly a DUMBER than normal question.

Even the enemy has admitted that Iraq and Afghanistan are different fronts of the same war. Why do you continue to report them as two separate wars?

They are in two different countries against two different, though related, enemies. There are two different commanding generals, Afghanistan has NATO and EU troops, etc., they are very different needing a different strategy, and we have failed thus far and because of that the Taliban is making a come back. :poke:

Having admitted ex post facto to "disgusting" bias in helping the President-Elect win, will you pledge to not help him win re-election four years from now?

huh? :shrug:

When was the last time that an incoming administration was setting policy before taking office, and how did you report it?

Who is doing that? Obama has gone to great lenghts to say "this country has only one president at a time". He has commented on the financial reforms and made his feelings known but there is no setting of policy since he has no power to set any policy but he can state his opinion! :finger:

Since the Vice-President Elect has publicly guaranteed that the new administration will be tested abroad, from where, and when, will that test come?

Stupid question #20 it is! No wait....there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people. :finger:

It was really REALLY hard answering these BS questions with a straight face. Questions that make a statement then ask you to defend against the statement! Problem is the statements are wrong or ridiculous at the start!

But I tried!

:happy feet:

There is only one war, GWOT (Global War on Terror). There are several campaigns right now, two of which are in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just as there was only one war in 1914-1918 (WWI) and 1939-1945 (WWII), with multiple theaters/campaigns for both wars. Simple enough right?

It is a misnomer when people refer to the different campaigns as different wars.

As I have said time and time again again about this person and his political forums, when will everyone learn that JD M-1 could care less about your opinions on any matter that he brings up here.

The best thing to do is just ignore his forums and let them die on the vine so to speak. We are just three days short of the one month mark since the elections, and this guy still can't get over the fact that the man he backed worshiped lost the election.

Grow up, get over it, and move on for goodness sake.

There is only one war, GWOT (Global War on Terror). There are several campaigns right now, two of which are in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just as there was only one war in 1914-1918 (WWI) and 1939-1945 (WWII), with multiple theaters/campaigns for both wars. Simple enough right?

It is a misnomer when people refer to the different campaigns as different wars.

REALLY?

Why don't you tell that to Secretary Gates who just today said "mindful we are engaged in TWO wars...".

I'm sure he'll be thankful for the correction! :happy feet:

In the mean time can we get serious about the issues we're facing at home and abroad and stop silly word games that are meant to draw our attention from the things that are important and do nothing but help our enemies?

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/12/pla...with_the_1.html

Who would YOU rather Interview? A Hot Babe in a Tight Skirt or a Wrinkled Old Man?

:hysterical:

You can call them anything you like! Only difference now is one of them you have to call Mr. President. :happy feet:

What law requires us to call Obama "Mr. President"?

As I have said time and time again again about this person and his political forums, when will everyone learn that JD M-1 could care less about your opinions on any matter that he brings up here.

The best thing to do is just ignore his forums and let them die on the vine so to speak. We are just three days short of the one month mark since the elections, and this guy still can't get over the fact that the man he backed worshiped lost the election.

Grow up, get over it, and move on for goodness sake.

+1 !!!

CC

What law requires us to call Obama "Mr. President"?

There is "no law" but it's the accepted courtesy going back to George Washington but if you want to call him something else or be disrespectful what can I say!

History of the term "Mr. President":

"Washington attended carefully to the pomp and ceremony of office, making sure that the titles and trappings were suitably republican and never emulated European royal courts. To that end, he preferred the title "Mr. President" to the more majestic names suggested."

http://govdocs.evergreen.edu/salutations.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_11185_address-president.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._President_(title)

REALLY?

Why don't you tell that to Secretary Gates who just today said "mindful we are engaged in TWO wars...".

I'm sure he'll be thankful for the correction! :happy feet:

In the mean time can we get serious about the issues we're facing at home and abroad and stop silly word games that are meant to draw our attention from the things that are important and do nothing but help our enemies?

So everything that gets said in a speech on youtube/TV is correct? Look, I was not intending my remarks to be aimed at any one person. However, there is only one war with two distinct campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan. That's why I have a Global War on Terrorism Medal and an Iraqi Campaign Medal (been twice). Some of my friends even have an Afghanistan Campaign Medal. The fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan is not isolated but part of a larger strategy which falls under the GWOT. That is all. I understand that most people in the press and many in the government like to call them seperate wars, but they are not (they both fall under the GWOT umbrella).

Now my one question for you is aren't you a "MODERATOR"? It seems strange to me that a person who holds the title of "MODERATOR" would be playing sides rather than being the voice of reason. I try to avoid these political discussions as much as possible because no good ever seems to come of them, but on this one I thought I would try and answer a question that often seems to confuse many people. That's all.

So everything that gets said in a speech on youtube/TV is correct? Look, I was not intending my remarks to be aimed at any one person. However, there is only one war with two distinct campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan. That's why I have a Global War on Terrorism Medal and an Iraqi Campaign Medal (been twice). Some of my friends even have an Afghanistan Campaign Medal. The fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan is not isolated but part of a larger strategy which falls under the GWOT. That is all. I understand that most people in the press and many in the government like to call them seperate wars, but they are not (they both fall under the GWOT umbrella).

Now my one question for you is aren't you a "MODERATOR"? It seems strange to me that a person who holds the title of "MODERATOR" would be playing sides rather than being the voice of reason. I try to avoid these political discussions as much as possible because no good ever seems to come of them, but on this one I thought I would try and answer a question that often seems to confuse many people. That's all.

So the SECDEF is not correct but what you say IS correct? I don't happen to agree with either of your two points, and have three rows +2 of ribbons myself, but since you feel I'm not entitled to express an opinion in the Off-Topic area I'll just drop it.

BTW: "Violent extremism is the biggest threat in CentCom, where U.S. servicemembers are engaged in two wars, Petraeus told the committee"

American Forces Press Service

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=49977

There is "no law" but it's the accepted courtesy going back to George Washington but if you want to call him something else or be disrespectful what can I say!

History of the term "Mr. President":

"Washington attended carefully to the pomp and ceremony of office, making sure that the titles and trappings were suitably republican and never emulated European royal courts. To that end, he preferred the title "Mr. President" to the more majestic names suggested."

http://govdocs.evergreen.edu/salutations.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_11185_address-president.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._President_(title)

When did I ever say that I wanted/will refer to him as something disrepectful? I have noticed that for many years the media has referred to President Bush as just "Bush" so why should Obama be any different?

When did I ever say that I wanted/will refer to him as something disrepectful? I have noticed that for many years the media has referred to President Bush as just "Bush" so why should Obama be any different?

I was only speaking about how you address the president which is, if you go back, what I was referring to when I noted "Mr. President".

You are right, a news person wouldn't say "Today Mr. President signed the bill to..." however in a live press conference I've never seen a reporter say "Bush, what did you think of..." they usually begin with "Mr President..." or simply ask their question. Why do you immediately assume I would offer up that Obama should be treated any different than Bush? :headscratch:

I was only speaking about how you address the president which is, if you go back, what I was referring to when I noted "Mr. President".

You are right, a news person wouldn't say "Today Mr. President signed the bill to..." however in a live press conference I've never seen a reporter say "Bush, what did you think of..." they usually begin with "Mr President..." or simply ask their question. Why do you immediately assume I would offer up that Obama should be treated any different than Bush? :headscratch:

Why'd you assume that I would refer to Obama in a derogatory manner? :headscratch:

Jeff,

If you go back and read this thread from post #1 to this post, you can see that from my first post I did not direct my answer to any one individual nor did I try to make anyone look stupid. However, I thought that the question in regards to GWOT, Iraq and Afghanistan is one that constantly gets mis-represented in the press and many other places.

Also, somehow you seemed to have misunderstood my intentions of talking about two of my medals. No where did I say that my medals gave me more authority nor did I say it to make myself feel superior to anyone else. The point was in the name of the medals. If the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan were their own wars, then wouldn't the medals be called the Iraqi War Medal and the Afghanistan War Medal? No, the DoD has titled them the Iraq/Afghanistan Campaign Medal, because they are campaigns that fall under the GWOT (and hence the GWOT has a medal so named). Does that mean that people often call the fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan two distinct wars? Yes, happens all the time as you have so nicely pointed out. However, does rank and or position automatically make someone smarter than someone else? I would hope not! There are a lot of guys below my rank with Masters and even a few with PhD's!

As far as being entitled to an opinion, no where did I state you couldn't have your own opinion. In fact, it seemed you went out of your way to prove me wrong, publicly too, for what reason? No where in my posts did I focus on any individual to try and show that they were wrong and I was right (until you attacked me). As a Moderator, I would think that you would not go out of your way to prove someone wrong or to be an instigator in these types of threads, the ones that have a history of degrading into name calling etc. I'm sure many people can figure out for themselves who the trolls are and what their agendas are.

Now, if you or anyone is interested, here is a link and you can decide for yourself what defines a war, theater of operation, campaign, battle, etc. Some good places to start are 2008 National Defense Strategy, Dictionary of Military Terms, National Strategic Military Plan for the War on Terror, and The National Security Strategy. Lot's of reading? Yes, but very interesting if you have the time.

http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/

Archived