TEAM SHELBY FORUM

This Is What Happens When You Let A Magazine Writer Test Drive A Shelby Prototype!

Regarding the Shelby Annual thread that started to turn into a GLHS thread I thought Rob might enjoy this pic since we were discussing road testing of the 1986 GLHS.

I've always meant to find out the name of the person who rolled this 1986 GLHS prototype but never speant the time to do so. Maybe someday I will.

Basically a magazine writer rolled the car back in the day while testing it. IIRC, but its been over 20 years, I think while not putting the mishap in print they did elude to the incident at somepoint.

Maybe I should ask Carroll about it. I'm sure he wasn't too happy when it happened and he may still have something to say about the "that @&!# who wrecked my car".

Wrecked_GLHS1.JPG

Wrecked_GLHS1.JPG

Regarding the Shelby Annual thread that started to turn into a GLHS thread I thought Rob might enjoy this pic since we were discussing road testing of the 1986 GLHS.

I've always meant to find out the name of the person who rolled this 1986 GLHS prototype but never speant the time to do so. Maybe someday I will.

Basically a magazine writer rolled the car back in the day while testing it. IIRC, but its been over 20 years, I think while not putting the mishap in print they did elude to the incident at somepoint.

Maybe I should ask Carroll about it. I'm sure he wasn't too happy when it happened and he may still have something to say about the "that @&!# who wrecked my car".

Interesting wheels on the car too. And it had a normal Michigan license plate (not a manufacturer "M" plate)

12/03/08 Edited out the magazine name from the quote. Want to double check who the driver was working for at the time.

Interesting wheels on the car too. And it had a normal Michigan license plate (not a manufacturer "M" plate).

Barry

Good catch on the license plate. I knew that it was a MI plate but never really looked at it to see that it wasn't a MFG plate.

Got any connections in MI that can run that plate number? Would be great to document what vin number the car was.

Steve

PS- Regarding the aftermarket wheels. They were used early on in the GLHS development and can be see in various PR pics including video from Willow Springs. My guess is that they were used because of their width as I don't think we had any wheels wider than 6" back in early 1986. At least Shelby Wheels didn't until 1987.

Barry

Good catch on the license plate. I knew that it was a MI plate but never really looked at it to see that it wasn't a MFG plate.

Got any connections in MI that can run that plate number? Would be great to document what vin number the car was.

Regrettably I don't know anybody who can check the plate #. The blue & white plate was used for over 20 years here. In the last two years they switched to a white plate with blue lettering as a standard plate design.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived