TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I want to remove stripes on my 2005 GT ASAP

Glenn&Steph

Usually all you need to remove tape stripes is a blow dryer.

Start at one end, and heat the tape about 6 to 12" at a time. You should be able to lift the stripe without tearing as you move down the stripe.

Take your time, and good luck ...

A friend of my used a 3M product. A small wheel that is made to remove stripes.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Stephanie wants these stripes off and new ones applied ASAP.

Thanks,

Glenn

No need to use that 3m wheel as your stripes are still relativly new. A hair dryer on a warm day should do the trick. You may want to pick up a can of 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner #08984 to remove any adhesive that stuck to the paint.

Steve

No need to use that 3m wheel as your stripes are still relativly new. A hair dryer on a warm day should do the trick. You may want to pick up a can of 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner #08984 to remove any adhesive that stuck to the paint.

Steve

Steve, The stripes are on my 2005 GT, they were applied in '05 and are faded and crap. The guy who owned it before me put them on. We will try the hair dryer deal.

Thanks

Glenn

I was told that the cost of new stripe decals was around $800 plus the installation. But to have them painted on would be only around $600. This was at the local dealer's body shop. Just a thought. The painted stripes I think look better and are alot more durable.

I got about the same price here in Central Fl. Doing some research on the painted stripes. First goal is to get them removed so I can drive the car without embarassment.

I don't think that painted stripes is a good idea, go with vinyl, that way you can always remove them when you wish, also it saves a lot of money if you ever want to change the color, or get new stripes.

I don't think that painted stripes is a good idea, go with vinyl, that way you can always remove them when you wish, also it saves a lot of money if you ever want to change the color, or get new stripes.

NOT TRUE AT ALL!! I got painted stripes on my car and they look as good now as they did when they were brand new almost 3 years ago. The only thing you gotta consider, is will the car always have stripes? If the answer is yes, GET THEM PAINTED ON!!. You won't have to worry about fading, and staining from acid rain. And if you get a chip, instead of having to replace the entire stripe, you take it to the body shop, and they "spot it". Worth the investment, TRUST ME!! My stripes were put on as soon as the car was delivered to the dealer. I work at the dealer, and had the body shop we use do them for $1,000 and this included painting the rear ducktail spoiler, striping said spoiler, and applying the side stripes. I was one of the 1st to do painted stripes in my area, and I know this topic like the back of my hand.

Easily-reversible modifications are my preference. The next buyer says "I'd give you your price if it didn't have the strut brace (or tinted windscreen, or big ol' stripes)", I'm ready to operate. Of course, I'm a bit anti-stripes for my own cars, but see the attraction on others'.

As far as the removal of vinyl stripes goes, the blow-dryer should do it, with patience and concentration. Left-over sticky stuff usually succumbs to Spray 'n' Wash's enzyme action: spray it on, rub it around a little, let it sit for a while, wipe or wash it off.

Then let the car sit for a few weeks to let the previously stripe-covered surface equalize with the remainder of the car's surface.*

*Just kidding. If you get used to the stripeless car and maybe really begin to like it that way, you could leave it alone and save even more money.

New stripes will be going on but not sure if we will paint. That will be up to Stephanie. I have yet to tackle this project but everyones thoughts are very helpful. I do appreciate the feedback here. Thank you.

I know there is a resident detail guy here. Maybe he has some thoughts on this?

Glenn

NOT TRUE AT ALL!! I got painted stripes on my car and they look as good now as they did when they were brand new almost 3 years ago. The only thing you gotta consider, is will the car always have stripes? If the answer is yes, GET THEM PAINTED ON!!. You won't have to worry about fading, and staining from acid rain. And if you get a chip, instead of having to replace the entire stripe, you take it to the body shop, and they "spot it". Worth the investment, TRUST ME!! My stripes were put on as soon as the car was delivered to the dealer. I work at the dealer, and had the body shop we use do them for $1,000 and this included painting the rear ducktail spoiler, striping said spoiler, and applying the side stripes. I was one of the 1st to do painted stripes in my area, and I know this topic like the back of my hand.

Thank you for your feedback.

Glenn

Ok, I got home last night around 8:15 pm and was on a mission. I asked Stephanie if we have any hair dryers around. She came out to the garage with 2. We began to remove the stripes on the front bumper with ease. I said to myself ok we got this now then the dryer quit. One of those international ones. Blew it up! The hair dryer that is. So, we began with the next hair dryer and we were moving along nicely on the hood.

The paint is not bad at all and with a little wax it should be good. We still have a long way to go, but the project has begun. The goal is to get the car back on the road this weekend with no stripes.

Thankyou for everyones thoughts on this topic.

Glenn

Ok, I got home last night around 8:15 pm and was on a mission. I asked Stephanie if we have any hair dryers around. She came out to the garage with 2. We began to remove the stripes on the front bumper with ease. I said to myself ok we got this now then the dryer quit. One of those international ones. Blew it up! The hair dryer that is. So, we began with the next hair dryer and we were moving along nicely on the hood.

The paint is not bad at all and with a little wax it should be good. We still have a long way to go, but the project has begun. The goal is to get the car back on the road this weekend with no stripes.

Thankyou for everyones thoughts on this topic.

Glenn

Glad to hear it is going good so far. If you can get the car in the warm sun for a few hours that will speed things along.

I was told that the cost of new stripe decals was around $800 plus the installation. But to have them painted on would be only around $600. This was at the local dealer's body shop. Just a thought. The painted stripes I think look better and are alot more durable.

WOW!!! I got quoted at like $3400 for painted stripes and color match the lower matte front bumper.

Guy was saying that he can do the cheap stripes but I'll feel the raise but if he does it right where you can't feel the edges it will cost that much because of the 6 layers of clear coat.

What about WD 40 and a plastic putty knife? Just be sure it has clean edges.

I've removed stickers off of tool boxes as well as cars this way.

My Fourth Of July stripes from 2007 were reflective vinyl; it was not meant to be removed, once applied.

mustStrStaLF8x_3633.jpg

I did a bunch of research, and learned the Pros used what amounts to a high-power eraser wheel, like the one mentioned above; unfortunately, it is expensive, and tends to mar the underfinish.

Other methods involved one or another fluid that was supposed to neutralize the sticky properties of the adhesive on the vinyl. At least one of them worked a little, but not as easily or as quickly as the manufacturer suggested and I had hoped. I ended up using that, some heat, and what amounted to a sturdy plastic single-edge razorblade in a purpose-built holder.

Scratched hell out of the clearcoat, but it's pretty much recovered after a few polishings and waxings.

I wasn't feeling all that patriotic, this year.

mustStrStaLF8x_3633.jpg

Ok, Got an update to this post. Stephanie and I started to work on this during the past week with a Hair Dryer. Started on the hood and kept on movin till we got it done. The front bumper was a piece of cake to do. The hood was a bit tougher. Had to remove the trim around the shaker and the washers. The hood looks good and no defects caused from the heat. Went to the rear and the bumper was again easy but when we got to the spoiler and underneath it that was a challenge. Lucky with some heat we were able to roll the stripe out from under the spoiler. Some blisters later on my hands it was done.

Now we have the roof to do. This is as bad as removing wallpaper .... maybe worst because we didn't want to damage the paint.

This week the roof will get done.. The car looks very naked without the stripes. Stephanie wants the stripes back on. UGGGHHHH.

LOL

Glenn

Ok, Got an update to this post. Stephanie and I started to work on this during the past week with a Hair Dryer. Started on the hood and kept on movin till we got it done. The front bumper was a piece of cake to do. The hood was a bit tougher. Had to remove the trim around the shaker and the washers. The hood looks good and no defects caused from the heat. Went to the rear and the bumper was again easy but when we got to the spoiler and underneath it that was a challenge. Lucky with some heat we were able to roll the stripe out from under the spoiler. Some blisters later on my hands it was done.

Now we have the roof to do. This is as bad as removing wallpaper .... maybe worst because we didn't want to damage the paint.

This week the roof will get done.. The car looks very naked without the stripes. Stephanie wants the stripes back on. UGGGHHHH.

LOL

Glenn

Well, the end seems to be in sight, anyway. That's good.

An addition to the "equipment" post, above, since I seem to have left off the URL of a quick-shipping supplier:

Beacon Graphics

Hey Glenn and Steph have you gotten the stripes back on yet :happy feet: pictures please. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Hey Glenn and Steph have you gotten the stripes back on yet :happy feet: pictures please. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Hey Blown we still have to remove the stripes on the roof, clean up the glue and then the new stripes. Stephanie has her mind set on stripes that not too many people have.

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived