TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Building my first AR15...any help?

Well, I have no personal experience with Noveske, but I have drooled over their rifles for a long time. I know people who have them and they like them a lot. They are kind of top shelf though for AR's. If you don't want to spend that much money, then you can go with Bushmaster or Rock River Arms. I have a Bushmaster and my buddy has a RRA. Both work just fine. Here is the link to Noveske:

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/

Being LE, they will probably give you a discount. You can buy complete rifles or just uppers/lowers...your choice. I have a stripped reciever at home that someday I will build up. I plan on using a Noveske upper when the time comes (and I stop spending money on the car).

Well, I have no personal experience with Noveske, but I have drooled over their rifles for a long time. I know people who have them and they like them a lot. They are kind of top shelf though for AR's. If you don't want to spend that much money, then you can go with Bushmaster or Rock River Arms. I have a Bushmaster and my buddy has a RRA. Both work just fine. Here is the link to Noveske:

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/

Being LE, they will probably give you a discount. You can buy complete rifles or just uppers/lowers...your choice. I have a stripped reciever at home that someday I will build up. I plan on using a Noveske upper when the time comes (and I stop spending money on the car).

Wow gotta like that N4.....Just one question CH...Isn't the sound suppressor illegal in the U.S.

I have a gun collection....But the gun laws here in Canada sux big time...there are ways around this

but I'll say no more.

Wow gotta like that N4.....Just one question CH...Isn't the sound suppressor illegal in the U.S.

I have a gun collection....But the gun laws here in Canada sux big time...there are ways around this

but I'll say no more.

You can obtain a license to have a sound suppressor in the US just as you can have one for a full-auto...if you have the money, that is.

You can obtain a license to have a sound suppressor in the US just as you can have one for a full-auto...if you have the money, that is.

Wow, I thought it was a federal offence just to have one in your possession...What about a night scope?

Wow, I thought it was a federal offence just to have one in your possession...What about a night scope?

In regards to automatic weapons and sound supressors, each state has their own set of laws...obviously some are more "friendly" than others. NC is a very friendly state...at least for now. Long story short, if you want one or the other (or both) you have to fill out paperwork that gets sent into the ATF. If approved, then yes you can have said things. However, that paperwork always has to be with the weapon or suppressor...you better not lose it or get caught without it. Also, by having such a permit, you forfeit your right for law enforcement to have a search warrant...at least from my understanding. They can show up at your door at any time and demand you show the weapon/suppressor with the associated paperwork. So for some people it's not worth the hassle. It also costs you money to have the license.

As far as Night Vision Devices (NVD's), no laws against having them as far as I know. The only laws I know in regards to NVD's is that they are illegal to use for hunting (that should be a no brainer). Of course, I'm sure each state has its rules on that too.

In regards to automatic weapons and sound supressors, each state has their own set of laws...obviously some are more "friendly" than others. NC is a very friendly state...at least for now. Long story short, if you want one or the other (or both) you have to fill out paperwork that gets sent into the ATF. If approved, then yes you can have said things. However, that paperwork always has to be with the weapon or suppressor...you better not lose it or get caught without it. Also, by having such a permit, you forfeit your right for law enforcement to have a search warrant...at least from my understanding. They can show up at your door at any time and demand you show the weapon/suppressor with the associated paperwork. So for some people it's not worth the hassle. It also costs you money to have the license.

As far as Night Vision Devices (NVD's), no laws against having them as far as I know. The only laws I know in regards to NVD's is that they are illegal to use for hunting (that should be a no brainer). Of course, I'm sure each state has its rules on that too.

Thanks for the info CH....Farmers can use night scops here in Nova Scotia to hunt coyotes only....What a joke

that is....A deer passes in front of them....You know the rest....They use mostly 22-250's.

If you dont have the money for a Noveske but still want a very well built rifle I have and love the Colt 6920. Im also in the process of trying to get my hands on a Sig 556 even though its not a "AR" style rifle. Im a huge fan of the Sig handguns and am hoping the rifle will be built just was nicely.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatal...p;productid=211

The problem with buying anything right now is all the people thinking we will never be able to buy another weapon after the inauguration and wont know how to defend themselves from the aliens are buying all the rifles and driving up the prices. I hope Obama puts his resources in areas other then taking away the guns and I think thats what will happen. As for right now, people are freaking out though. Atleast in my area.

CR

Basically all lower receivers are the same as long as they are Mil spec... that being said for internals of you lower I would go with a 3lb Timney match Triger skeleton 2 stage, here is the web site www.timneytriggers.com for the trigger guard and magazines, I would make them Magpul ...

Here is the web site for trigger and magazines http://www.magpul.com , as far as for the upper receiver you gotta have this, it's a Polylithic upper receiver and handguard assembly made by VLTOR here is the site for this.... This is so freaking cool!!!!! go to this address http://www.vltor.com/vis.htm , as for the barrel I prefer a stainless steel fluted barrel so check this site out... http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

I build these for fun.... You might want t make it a 6.8mm , to top it off I have bought a .50 cal Beowulf , also bought this before the obaminator hits office!!!! :finger: here is the site http://www.50beowulf.com/

Let me know if you need any help....

Eddie

Wow, a lot of you know about these things ;) So far for my lower I have a complete internals kit and a Magpul stock, eventually I will upgrade to a timney trigger. For my upper I was looking at either Stag, Rock River Arms, or Bravo Company. I wish I could afford Noveske, they are nice! Maybe the next one I build will be a Noveske. I'm going with 5.56 at the moment as I want to keep it friendly enough for my girlfriend to shoot :happy feet:

Anyone have a particular preference for free floating picatinny rails?

Why would you need a soundsuppressor? Hunting?

No, they are illegal to hunt with. Several reasons to have them, but the one I like the most makes the most sense. The local sherrif where I live requires you to have one if you own a full auto weapon. His reasoning? The average person freaks out when they hear a full auto weapon so they tend to dial 911. So buy "silencing" the weapon, it negates all the un-necessary 911 phone calls.

I suggest checking out AR15.com. Very informative site with TONS of info. Be sure to check out the "Hometown Forum" (find the state where you live) and read the "stickies". There is where you'll find the laws of the state where you reside. I'm currently building my 2nd AR (RRA).

Even though you are LE you may still violate assualt weapon ban laws in Claifornia. Go to the hometown forums at ar15.com or the calguns.net forums to know how to build a legal one. It is important to know this since a violation ban of this is a felony in Claifornia.

Also dont tell the cops but I sometimes carry concealed without a permit but that is just a ticket as long as the weapon is registered, since I am not a criminal and never have interaction with LE its not a issue with me. Since my county is run by Leninnist(sp?). Meaning they are commies with a elite ruling class that can only have permits. Average people like me cant have them. I have applied multiple times and even had a valid reason, guy I sent to jail for burglary on his second strike was getting released but I kept getting denied. Took a CCW class out of state as well hoping it would help me next time I applied for my CCW. No dice.

I will take the risk of a ticket over my life but not a felony.

:happy feet:

Where as showing up at the range with a "Evil feature" rifle can land you in hot water with the California DOJ and it is a felony. They do hang out at the ranges hoping to pick up people that dont know better. :banghead:

Even though you are LE you may still violate assualt weapon ban laws in Claifornia. Go to the hometown forums at ar15.com or the calguns.net forums to know how to build a legal one. It is important to know this since a violation ban of this is a felony in Claifornia.

Also dont tell the cops but I sometimes carry concealed without a permit but that is just a ticket as long as the weapon is registered, since I am not a criminal and never have interaction with LE its not a issue with me. Since my county is run by Leninnist(sp?). Meaning they are commies with a elite ruling class that can only have permits. Average people like me cant have them. I have applied multiple times and even had a valid reason, guy I sent to jail for burglary on his second strike was getting released but I kept getting denied. Took a CCW class out of state as well hoping it would help me next time I applied for my CCW. No dice.

I will take the risk of a ticket over my life but not a felony.

:happy feet:

Where as showing up at the range with a "Evil feature" rifle can land you in hot water with the California DOJ and it is a felony. They do hang out at the ranges hoping to pick up people that dont know better. :banghead:

Move to Tennessee...we have CCW permits that are relatively easy for law-abiding citizens to obtain. The only stupid limitation to them is not being able to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol: however, we just threw the dummycrats out of power in state government, so I expect some changes around here. :happy feet:

So I have decided to exercise my 2nd amendment rights a little more, anyone here have any useful tips? I purchased my lower a couple days ago, Mega Gator, and am chambering for 5.56

I to exercised that right and last week I took delivery of a Sig 556 Halo, haven't had an operunity to shoot yet, but it looks to be a very nice peice as a "off the shelf" rifle. But I am far from an expert.

RM

Go with a PLR-16....

Stock it comes as a .223 "pistol"

Cost is about 400.00

Add ons- you can turn it into a short barrel rifle by adding the collapsable stock.....very friendly and fun.....easy to carry too!

Better be careful, if you add a stock to anything that has a barrel less than 16", it becomes a short barreled rifle which is illegal unless you have a license for it...especially in California.

I've had two class 3 weapons since 1985 and I've only been checked once. I'm not sure on the forfeiture of the search warrent deal, that's the first time I've heard of that. I don't want to argue with you but if an ATF agent shows up at your door you have to show him your class 3 items right away, no B.S., as far as police are concerned I don't see how they would even know you had them, the cops in my town don't and never have. ATF has a habit of not sharing information very well with police.

I've had two class 3 weapons since 1985 and I've only been checked once. I'm not sure on the forfeiture of the search warrent deal, that's the first time I've heard of that. I don't want to argue with you but if an ATF agent shows up at your door you have to show him your class 3 items right away, no B.S., as far as police are concerned I don't see how they would even know you had them, the cops in my town don't and never have. ATF has a habit of not sharing information very well with police.

I'm going to make an assumption here, that each state is different! I know that in NC, in order to get the required NFA paperwork filled out and submitted to the ATF for approval on suppressor's etc that I have to go through my local Sherrif. You fill out the paperwork, take it to the local Sherrif's office, and he personally "approves" your paperwork which is then submitted by his office to the ATF. If the you are cleared by the ATF, then you get a notice from the Sherrif's office and get the required paperwork to pick up the item you purchased. I personally have not done this, but have several buddies who have and that was how it was described to me. Maybe I am messing something up in my re-interpretation?

Also, since I have never done this, I am only going off of what was explained to me about the search warrant gig. I was warned that if I were to own such items, that they could show up at any given time at your door step and demand to see the items and the appropriate papework without a search warrant. Also, anywhere you take said named items you have to have the paperwork on you at all times. Let's say you go to the range with a suppressor and an ATF agent or some other law enforcement officer is there. If they request to see the paperwork and you don't have it on you, no excuses like "oops, I forgot it". So yes, for many it is just too many reasons and too big a headache to have these things. For some, the money and hassle is worth it. To each his own I guess.

somebody educate me.....

if you are only gonna have it in your home or on your ranch, who cares if your gun is not exactly legal, right?

Carry a pistol if you have to carry, but own whatever and just keep it in the gunsafe.

Did I miss where the ATF does random house searches?

I'm going to make an assumption here, that each state is different! I know that in NC, in order to get the required NFA paperwork filled out and submitted to the ATF for approval on suppressor's etc that I have to go through my local Sherrif. You fill out the paperwork, take it to the local Sherrif's office, and he personally "approves" your paperwork which is then submitted by his office to the ATF. If the you are cleared by the ATF, then you get a notice from the Sherrif's office and get the required paperwork to pick up the item you purchased. I personally have not done this, but have several buddies who have and that was how it was described to me. Maybe I am messing something up in my re-interpretation?

Also, since I have never done this, I am only going off of what was explained to me about the search warrant gig. I was warned that if I were to own such items, that they could show up at any given time at your door step and demand to see the items and the appropriate papework without a search warrant. Also, anywhere you take said named items you have to have the paperwork on you at all times. Let's say you go to the range with a suppressor and an ATF agent or some other law enforcement officer is there. If they request to see the paperwork and you don't have it on you, no excuses like "oops, I forgot it". So yes, for many it is just too many reasons and too big a headache to have these things. For some, the money and hassle is worth it. To each his own I guess.

Yes you are right, I had to get the police chief's ok before we went ahead and filed papers. One thing this conversation has done is make me look for my papers. Yesterday as I was reading this I realized that my paper work was not with my firearms but in a case in the garage. I went out and got them and stuck them in the trigger guards. The originals are in a lock box at the bank, at my last check which was in the 90's the agent said it was ok to have copies and have the originals in a safe place because if you do lose them your screwed. I also looked at the date...........it was 1983, at that time you could convert or build your own class 3 weapon as long as you had approved paper work..................I should have made a couple dozen of those, I think my M-16 I had about $200 in and the Sten about $100, thats not including the class 3 lic fee of $300 per gun. Wow how times have changed, you could make your own machine gun and it was legal. I think it was 1989 when they said no more of that, you could only get class 3 guns that were already made driving the prices way up.

Archived