TEAM SHELBY FORUM

On order, but no car yet?

Alloy Dave

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys and gals...here's an update. Please let me know if yours has had any changes. Hopefully we'll be showing Rob as delivered in about a month.

post-3382-1168158732_thumb.jpg

Dave

Boy it's nice to see my name on the top of your list, make me feel like you folks are part of my family as i do read here alot here, for many months now. Took my family on a new years cruise got back yesterday, back to work now...sucks fun time over. :hyper:

Okay this is bugging me... I searched Ebay and found at least 4 Shelbys that have vin#'s 4000-5000 cars after mine and they have been delivered to the dealers. A couple of these dealers are at least 1000miles further away from Detriot than my dealer. Yes, I know they produce mainstream mustangs and mazdas on the same line and that this makes up for a large portion of the 4000-5000 cars. The question how can these other 4 Shelbys (with stripes) be delivered and mine is still nowhere to be found.

I also know based on window stickers that some job#1 cars were made as late as 160 cars before mine (which is a Job#2 car). Could it be that mine is one of the very early job#2 cars that is going through some extra QC? I am confused and going through some serious PSDS!!! :banghead:

Okay this is bugging me... I searched Ebay and found at least 4 Shelbys that have vin#'s 4000-5000 cars after mine and they have been delivered to the dealers. A couple of these dealers are at least 1000miles further away from Detriot than my dealer. Yes, I know they produce mainstream mustangs and mazdas on the same line and that this makes up for a large portion of the 4000-5000 cars. The question how can these other 4 Shelbys (with stripes) be delivered and mine is still nowhere to be found.

I also know based on window stickers that some job#1 cars were made as late as 160 cars before mine (which is a Job#2 car). Could it be that mine is one of the very early job#2 cars that is going through some extra QC? I am confused and going through some serious PSDS!!! :banghead:

You might want to try posting this in a different thread...not sure it fits here. However, I can say that the serial numbers are not sequential, so don't judge whether your car is ahead or behind another strictly based on this.

When you say you know job#1 cars were made as late as 160 cars before yours...how do you know that? Are you basing that on the serial number? If so, refer to my above point.

Dave

You might want to try posting this in a different thread...not sure it fits here. However, I can say that the serial numbers are not sequential, so don't judge whether your car is ahead or behind another strictly based on this.

When you say you know job#1 cars were made as late as 160 cars before yours...how do you know that? Are you basing that on the serial number? If so, refer to my above point.

Dave

Dave,

Perhaps your right and this needs it's own thread to address my question specifically (post #204), but I have a car "on order and haven't received it yet" which is why I thought it fit here based on thread title.

Your right that Shelbys are not produced sequentially, I will not argue that. But a Shelby that has a higher VIN# came off the assembly line after a Shelby with a lower Vin#. ** Please correct me if I'm wrong!** Therefore, a Shelby with a VIN# that is 5000 higher than mine-- I have found at least 4 delivered cars on eBay-- was produced well after mine. I guess mine is just caught up in some extra QC, or the order of cars was shuffled when they went for striping.

Also, for the Job 1 cars I mentioned in post#204, yes I am referring to VIN#s. The digital window stickers show Job 1 specifically. My window sticker shows Job 2, again lending support for sequence off the assembly line. I think QC is what's holding mine up which I guess is a good thing. I just wish Ford CS would be able to tell me that rather than telling me it was shipped already.

On related note, I called Norfolk Southern Railway yesterday, gave them my VIN#, and they told me that they haven't seen my car and that it must still be at the plant. :banghead: I feel like I just took a 1 month step backwards.

Found an interesting read on Ford's "New" system in 2001 for tracking their cars once they leave the factory. Read This Perhaps this idea got tossed out shortly thereafter? Or if it is in place, then I'd hate to think about what Ford's tracking system was before...

Your right that Shelbys are not produced sequentially, I will not argue that. But a Shelby that has a higher VIN# came off the assembly line after a Shelby with a lower Vin#. ** Please correct me if I'm wrong!** Therefore, a Shelby with a VIN# that is 5000 higher than mine-- I have found at least 4 delivered cars on eBay-- was produced well after mine. I guess mine is just caught up in some extra QC, or the order of cars was shuffled when they went for striping.

Found an interesting read on Ford's "New" system in 2001 for tracking their cars once they leave the factory. Read This Perhaps this idea got tossed out shortly thereafter? Or if it is in place, then I'd hate to think about what Ford's tracking system was before...

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. Just because a VIN is higher does not mean it came off the line after a lower VIN.

Dave

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. Just because a VIN is higher does not mean it came off the line after a lower VIN.

Dave

So the following Ford-sponsored VIN decoder is wrong? Vin Decoder

The last 6 digits are shown to be the production sequence from a particular plant. Could somebody explain clearly why the Flat Rock sequence is not according to VIN#? I'm comfortable accepting being wrong, but I need an explanation.

So the following Ford-sponsored VIN decoder is wrong? Vin Decoder

The last 6 digits are shown to be the production sequence from a particular plant. Could somebody explain clearly why the Flat Rock sequence is not according to VIN#? I'm comfortable accepting being wrong, but I need an explanation.

You'd have to ask Ford, we don't know why...just that it is. I can only speculate. Perhaps the numbers are sequenced in the order they are received by Ford rather than built? Perhaps they have "blocks" of numbers that are sequenced, but when that "block" is used up, they go to another block that may not be after the previous block.

I worked at a plant that made engine blocks. The block serial numbers were entered into a system sequentially, but there were different variations of the block. It was more efficient to build the blocks in groups of the same process, so the serial numbers didn't come out sequentially. In addition, sometimes customer orders were changed between the entry time and the time they were produced. Let me give an example.

Let's say we built two types of blocks...one type was small bore and one was big bore. Since they went down the same assembly line, the serial numbers in the SYSTEM (not on the physical line) were sequential. So let's say customer A ordered 100 engines which were a combination of 40 small bore and 60 big bore. The SYSTEM would assign whichever ones were entered first (for this case, let's assume it was the small bore), so the small bore S/N would be 1000001 through 1000040, and the big bore would be 1000041 through 1000100. Then let's say customer B ordered 80 engines, 30 of which were small bore and 50 big bore. These were entered, and the small bore were assigned S/N 1000101 through 1000130 while the big bores were assigned 1000131 through 1000180. Let's say these were entered into the system on Monday Jan 2nd, 2007. Due to requirements of the MES (Manufacturing Execution System - a computer system which prioritizes how items are built based on parts availability, efficient lot sizes, and other such things), let's say the plant was instructed to run 22 small bore products first, followed by 56 big bore, then back to 48 small bore followed by 54 big bore. Therefore, the 23rd engine built would have serial number 1000041.

Can you see, by this example, how it's possible that a product with a high serial number can be built prior to one with a low serial number?

I keep trying to stress to people how complex manufacturing processes are, but many people want to oversimplify it. I left out other complications. For example, using the above info, let's say customer B calls you and says "we changed our minds, we only need 42 big bore, not 50". Then, in our case, we would temporarily cancel the 8 unnecessary big bores. Those 8 serial numbers would be available for use at a later date...thus they would have lower serial numbers than other products, but would be built AFTER the higher serial numbers.

I made up much of the above to prove a point...but hopefully people can get an appreciation for the complexity of some of these things. In my MBA program, operations was one of the most difficult courses I had...along with advanced linear math (statistics).

Now, I need to do something mindless. :hysterical:

Edit: here is an updated list.

post-3382-1169009026_thumb.jpg

Dave

Dave,

Perhaps your right and this needs it's own thread to address my question specifically (post #204), but I have a car "on order and haven't received it yet" which is why I thought it fit here based on thread title.

Also, for the Job 1 cars I mentioned in post#204, yes I am referring to VIN#s. The digital window stickers show Job 1 specifically. My window sticker shows Job 2, again lending support for sequence off the assembly line. I think QC is what's holding mine up which I guess is a good thing. I just wish Ford CS would be able to tell me that rather than telling me it was shipped already.

On related note, I called Norfolk Southern Railway yesterday, gave them my VIN#, and they told me that they haven't seen my car and that it must still be at the plant. :banghead: I feel like I just took a 1 month step backwards.

deluxe, sent you a PM

although there can be cars not in order of build going from VIN number there is a window of which they will fall into. The car builds now are in area of 300000. there are cars that have been shipped nearing the

3000xxx area. Do not expect Ford to tell you the truth when you call. They do not want you to know whats up with your car. Its possible it could be on hold waiting for load to certain area for a while but not this long

Its got a P R O B L E M. P E R I O D ! ! ! ! been there done that

Can you see, by this example, how it's possible that a product with a high serial number can be built prior to one with a low serial number?

Dave

Yes, thanks! That's what I was thinking after my previous post. They set VIN#'s in a batch mode, then they get scrambled during the assembly process to maximize efficiency according to car type, parts, options, etc.

deluxe, sent you a PM

Its got a P R O B L E M. P E R I O D ! ! ! ! been there done that

Sent you an email! I really hope your wrong on this! I have read your earlier posts and the issues you had with you're 'vert. What a nightmare!

I was told my car is in Dearborn. Why would it be there? That's 18miles away from Flat Rock. The only explanation I can come up with is that it's being track-tested because 1) it was selected at random, or 2) they are QC testing the early Job2 cars.

You'd have to ask Ford, we don't know why...just that it is. I can only speculate. Perhaps the numbers are sequenced in the order they are received by Ford rather than built? Perhaps they have "blocks" of numbers that are sequenced, but when that "block" is used up, they go to another block that may not be after the previous block.

I worked at a plant that made engine blocks. The block serial numbers were entered into a system sequentially, but there were different variations of the block. It was more efficient to build the blocks in groups of the same process, so the serial numbers didn't come out sequentially. In addition, sometimes customer orders were changed between the entry time and the time they were produced. Let me give an example.

Let's say we built two types of blocks...one type was small bore and one was big bore. Since they went down the same assembly line, the serial numbers in the SYSTEM (not on the physical line) were sequential. So let's say customer A ordered 100 engines which were a combination of 40 small bore and 60 big bore. The SYSTEM would assign whichever ones were entered first (for this case, let's assume it was the small bore), so the small bore S/N would be 1000001 through 1000040, and the big bore would be 1000041 through 1000100. Then let's say customer B ordered 80 engines, 30 of which were small bore and 50 big bore. These were entered, and the small bore were assigned S/N 1000101 through 1000130 while the big bores were assigned 1000131 through 1000180. Let's say these were entered into the system on Monday Jan 2nd, 2007. Due to requirements of the MES (Manufacturing Execution System - a computer system which prioritizes how items are built based on parts availability, efficient lot sizes, and other such things), let's say the plant was instructed to run 22 small bore products first, followed by 56 big bore, then back to 48 small bore followed by 54 big bore. Therefore, the 23rd engine built would have serial number 1000041.

I keep trying to stress to people how complex manufacturing processes are, but many people want to oversimplify it. I left out other complications. For example, using the above info, let's say customer B calls you and says "we changed our minds, we only need 42 big bore, not 50". Then, in our case, we would temporarily cancel the 8 unnecessary big bores. Those 8 serial numbers would be available for use at a later date...thus they would have lower serial numbers than other products, but would be built AFTER the higher serial numbers.

I made up much of the above to prove a point...but hopefully people can get an appreciation for the complexity of some of these things. In my MBA program, operations was one of the most difficult courses I had...along with advanced linear math (statistics).

Now, I need to do something mindless. :hysterical:

Edit: here is an updated list.

Dave

Very well put Dave, I can vouch that it's not a common sense system when it comes to automotive production. Plus remember the AAI plant also makes Mazdas & maybe they get some of the sequence block numbers for their cars?

I finally got a VIN today - actually feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel!

CONGRATS OWENKELLEY, :happy feet:

That's step 2 of the process

Step 1 - Get a dealer to take your order at an agreed price

Step 2 - Getting a Dora & a VIN#

Step 3 - Getting a production date & ETA for Delivery

Step 4 - Getting released from the Assembly Plant

Step 5 - Getting released from the Foreign Plant

Step 6 - Getting released from the GATE & in route for delivery

Step 7 - Trying to contain your PSDS until your dealer calls

Step 8 - Racing to the dealership to see you car when the dealer calls to say it's in

Step 9 - Inspecting the car at the dealership, signing & collecting all the paperwork

Step 10 - Driving it home very safely

I'm so jealous. You are a lucky man. What's your secret?

I wish I had a secret to share with you. I have been bugging the sales manager at this dealership - he's an old friend of mine - for probably 3 years. I told him when the '05 Mustang was still just in the planning stages that I wanted the new body style Cobra when they were able to be ordered. I think I gave him my deposit last June - I can't remember for sure because it's been so long. This actually works out best for us that it is taking this long. I would hate to have it just sitting in the garage through the winter and not be able to drive it and enjoy it. This way I don't have to pay for it or insure it until the time of year that I should be able to drive it. Hopefully be April 1st I can be breaking it in!

I wish I had a secret to share with you. I have been bugging the sales manager at this dealership - he's an old friend of mine - for probably 3 years. I told him when the '05 Mustang was still just in the planning stages that I wanted the new body style Cobra when they were able to be ordered. I think I gave him my deposit last June - I can't remember for sure because it's been so long. This actually works out best for us that it is taking this long. I would hate to have it just sitting in the garage through the winter and not be able to drive it and enjoy it. This way I don't have to pay for it or insure it until the time of year that I should be able to drive it. Hopefully be April 1st I can be breaking it in!

I'm happy for you. Coupe or convert ? I ordered in June also but no vin yet. I hope you will bring it to the International in Great Falls this Sept. I hope to have mine by then . I'm bringing my 66 Galaxie XL also.

P/S I'm in Billings.

I'm happy for you. Coupe or convert ? I ordered in June also but no vin yet. I hope you will bring it to the International in Great Falls this Sept. I hope to have mine by then . I'm bringing my 66 Galaxie XL also.

P/S I'm in Billings.

We ordered a coupe - red with white lemans stripes and the two-tone interior. I'm not sure if I will bring the '07 or the '67 to the International, but we are definitely going. I am looking forward to seeing your Galaxie, I have a '66 Galaxie too, I love those cars! If you have time, please PM me and tell me more about your Galaxie, color, engine etc. - I'm in Missoula.

Archived