TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I-phone or Blackberry Bold?

I went to Best Buy today to checkout the iphone 3G. I played around with it for a while. I really like the way it moves between different menus. There was no wifi in the store, so I really couldn't use the Safari web browser. The one thing that seemed a little troublesome to me was the text messaging screen. I tried to type a few words and kept hitting the adjacent letters. Is this something I just need to get used to or are you guys using a third-party text messaging app with a larger keyboard?

You need to put your fat fingers on a diet. :hysterical:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to Best Buy today to checkout the iphone 3G. I played around with it for a while. I really like the way it moves between different menus. There was no wifi in the store, so I really couldn't use the Safari web browser. The one thing that seemed a little troublesome to me was the text messaging screen. I tried to type a few words and kept hitting the adjacent letters. Is this something I just need to get used to or are you guys using a third-party text messaging app with a larger keyboard?

tek,

I still struggle with typing on the keyboard. I am not using a third party app.

Ok after reading the feedback here and some online reviews I vote for the iPhone over the Bold and Storm for a few basic reasons. The Storm has no wifi, so it is not a contender based on that fact alone. The Bold has a smaller screen and although it has wifi, the web browser is not as highly rated as the iPhone which is widescreen when you flip the phone sideways. It looks like the iPhone will be my choice when I return. Right now AT&T has both for $299 (16gb iPhone and Blackberry Bold with rebate) with a 2 year contract. A while back I saw where Amy B. posted to the forum from her iPhone. If the iPhone is user friendly enough to not only browse the web but interact by replying to forum messages, it must be very functional, like having a small computer with you everywhere you go. I am used to always carrying my Apple Macbook around in a a backpack when I am back in the states. It sounds like the iPhone could very well replace my laptop for when I am on the go.

Ok after reading the feedback here and some online reviews I vote for the iPhone over the Bold and Storm for a few basic reasons. The Storm has no wifi, so it is not a contender based on that fact alone. The Bold has a smaller screen and although it has wifi, the web browser is not as highly rated as the iPhone which is widescreen when you flip the phone sideways. It looks like the iPhone will be my choice when I return. Right now AT&T has both for $299 (16gb iPhone and Blackberry Bold with rebate) with a 2 year contract. A while back I saw where Amy B. posted to the forum from her iPhone. If the iPhone is user friendly enough to not only browse the web but interact by replying to forum messages, it must be very functional, like having a small computer with you everywhere you go. I am used to always carrying my Apple Macbook around in a a backpack when I am back in the states. It sounds like the iPhone could very well replace my laptop for when I am on the go.

To further solidify your decision, Pocket Dyno is available only for the iPhone!!

http://www.pocketdyno.com/

I had issues as well...though I also had issues with my BB and Q phones WITH little keyboards. You'll get much better at it, at least I did, and you'll learn how to use the predictive word completion better as well. All and all I'm fine with it once you realize that no matter what you get when you're using these small form factor phones there are tradeoffs. I have started to use the free 3rd party app that gives you a bigger keyboard when typing email.

I had issues as well...though I also had issues with my BB and Q phones WITH little keyboards. You'll get much better at it, at least I did, and you'll learn how to use the predictive word completion better as well. All and all I'm fine with it once you realize that no matter what you get when you're using these small form factor phones there are tradeoffs. I have started to use the free 3rd party app that gives you a bigger keyboard when typing email.

Yeah, I love predictive text. I have it on my phone now. Makes texting so much faster. My phone now has raised letters on the keyboard. Makes hitting the right letter much easier. If I get the iphone, I'll definitely have to get an app for a larger keyboard.

This my first iphone message on TS and I love this thing compared to my wife's BB.

I love the free applications. Glad I chose the iPhone and web on this thing flies,great reception and the cool factor is +1. I'm in the keys attending a wedding and ussually reception is bad down here but I have 4 bars here.

Well, I have had the BB Storm for almost a week now......I am going back to my BB Pearl.......I see no benefits on the Storm other than it has a Simm chip that will allow it to work overseas and a 3.2 MP camera. But it is bigger (all around) and much heavier and not comfortable to carry on a shirt pocket! Sound quality of the Pearl is much better.

Well, I have had the BB Storm for almost a week now......I am going back to my BB Pearl.......I see no benefits on the Storm other than it has a Simm chip that will allow it to work overseas and a 3.2 MP camera. But it is bigger (all around) and much heavier and not comfortable to carry on a shirt pocket! Sound quality of the Pearl is much better.

BlackBerry maker disappoints with its Storm

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...an/6141824.html

I have the new iPhone 3G (16Gb) & I am very, very impressed with it so far (2-Months). The capabilities of this phone are endless & you'll find it's addicting too the more you use it. AT&T just announced they are purchasing Centennial Wireless here in the midwest & taking over all their customers & towers :yahoo: for even more coverage in rural areas for "More Bars"

I use the iPod, Podcast, videos, Movies, stock ticker, weather channel, email, internet, Wi-Fi, texting, camera, calculator, calander with reminders that sync to your MS-Outlook & contacts.... the free options are endless. The apple store software download section offers you much more then what a crackberry can, plus it has a built in GPS with directions & traffic monitor to let you know what routes are backed up or slow. Each downloaded application (free or purchased) will automatically search for updates each time you sync to your computer.

This thing is amazing, if you purchase it from Best Buy, they offer a warranty/insurance package on the iPhone that even Apple doesn't offer...Best Buys "anything goes wrong" price of $14.95 per month is a deal IMHO considering I have paid 1/2 of that in the past for just a Motorola razor phone & even that one had stipulations

Apple & iPhone are taking over the world, join now & be ahead of the game...........

"crackberry" ? :finger:

These are made close to where I live. FYI, I don't think they would like your comment.

"crackberry" ? :finger:

These are made close to where I live. FYI, I don't think they would like your comment.

They actually do! The term has been around for years and speaks to the addictive nature of the device. People just have to have their BB device and can't imagine life without it, hence the analogy to another addictive item that entraps its user. While maybe the idea of Crack is a bad thing the play on words is meant as a positive.

I've had my iPhone for a week or so now, and I'm really loving it. It does have 2 faults (IMO), however. The first is, that it doesn't support MMS, i.e., you cannot send photos to cell phones and back - however, there does appear to be an app which can be purchased that takes care of this, called "Flutter', and there may be others. Second, you cannot cut or copy / paste w/ an iPhone. It is reported that apps are on the way, or Apple itself is working on this issue. These are not deal-breaking issues by any means, but as long as we're talking about it I thought I should mention these. Other than these minor issues, everything else so far is amazing / fantastic.

While at Quantum Performance once (and those who have been there can attest to this) my wife made a comment about the amount of cars parked at a large building across the road and along the shoulders going both directions. The statement was made (I'll leave the person's name out) that it was a problem and complaints have been made. There are a lot of people who work in this building.

I say all that to say this - it was said it is a facility that repairs Blackberry's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived