TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I-phone or Blackberry Bold?

Well, as a early grad present wifey wants to get me one of those fancy phones so I can keep my drug guides and other medical folders to use for my new job so who else better to ask than the TS family.

So, given the choice I-phone or the new Blackberry Bold, there is a new Blackberry Storm but that is only for Verizon network. I have AT&T.

Thanks.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrybold/

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the new iPhone 3G (16Gb) & I am very, very impressed with it so far (2-Months). The capabilities of this phone are endless & you'll find it's addicting too the more you use it. AT&T just announced they are purchasing Centennial Wireless here in the midwest & taking over all their customers & towers :yahoo: for even more coverage in rural areas for "More Bars"

I use the iPod, Podcast, videos, Movies, stock ticker, weather channel, email, internet, Wi-Fi, texting, camera, calculator, calander with reminders that sync to your MS-Outlook & contacts.... the free options are endless. The apple store software download section offers you much more then what a crackberry can, plus it has a built in GPS with directions & traffic monitor to let you know what routes are backed up or slow. Each downloaded application (free or purchased) will automatically search for updates each time you sync to your computer.

This thing is amazing, if you purchase it from Best Buy, they offer a warranty/insurance package on the iPhone that even Apple doesn't offer...Best Buys "anything goes wrong" price of $14.95 per month is a deal IMHO considering I have paid 1/2 of that in the past for just a Motorola razor phone & even that one had stipulations

Apple & iPhone are taking over the world, join now & be ahead of the game...........

Blackberry Sorm is teh way to go......I now use Blackberry and it is extremely solid.......the Storm should be delivered today via FedEx.

The storm is only for Verizon. The line to get those is out of control. I dig the fact that you can buy those cards to expand the memory which I was told that Radio Shack will be making a 30 GIG soon.

My T-Mobile plan ends in a few months. I'm changing to AT&T due to the horrible coverage I have with T-Mobile in my area. I've always had Smartphones and will probably get the iphone 3G. The only factor I don't like about the iphone is that it doesn't use Windows Mobile, which I have tons of apps for. But I've heard the apps for the iphone are amazing.

I have the new iPhone 3G (16Gb) & I am very, very impressed with it so far (2-Months). The capabilities of this phone are endless & you'll find it's addicting too the more you use it. AT&T just announced they are purchasing Centennial Wireless here in the midwest & taking over all their customers & towers :yahoo: for even more coverage in rural areas for "More Bars"

I use the iPod, Podcast, videos, Movies, stock ticker, weather channel, email, internet, Wi-Fi, texting, camera, calculator, calander with reminders that sync to your MS-Outlook & contacts.... the free options are endless. The apple store software download section offers you much more then what a crackberry can, plus it has a built in GPS with directions & traffic monitor to let you know what routes are backed up or slow. Each downloaded application (free or purchased) will automatically search for updates each time you sync to your computer.

This thing is amazing, if you purchase it from Best Buy, they offer a warranty/insurance package on the iPhone that even Apple doesn't offer...Best Buys "anything goes wrong" price of $14.95 per month is a deal IMHO considering I have paid 1/2 of that in the past for just a Motorola razor phone & even that one had stipulations

Apple & iPhone are taking over the world, join now & be ahead of the game...........

You have point there about the insurance, I was almost going to pull the trigger last night and go with the "Crackberry" :hysterical: because you can get the insurance from AT&T and the I-phone I couldn't, so I told myself to go ahead and ask around first and get actual opinions. Thanks for the heads up about buying it at BestBuys where I can get insurance.

My T-Mobile plan ends in a few months. I'm changing to AT&T due to the horrible coverage I have with T-Mobile in my area. I've always had Smartphones and will probably get the iphone 3G. The only factor I don't like about the iphone is that it doesn't use Windows Mobile, which I have tons of apps for. But I've heard the apps for the iphone are amazing.

Funny you mentioned coverage because when I was at Terlingua my sprint did not get any signal but everyone with AT&T/I-phones were all happy with their coverage. I was so upset because what if there was an emergency at home or if my house/fire alarm went off no one would've been able to contact me and the worse what if my Shelby was taken out of my garage? :drop: I was going nuts :runaway:

I know u can't use the storm, but I have it and it is really good so far :happy feet:

I switched from t-mobile to verizon.

my opinion....for games, cool apps, and overall pizazz, I'd say iphone. For text and email, the bold.

FYI...the wifey and my brother have the iphone

I'm going with the BOLD. I don't buy Apple products, so that choice is easy. I also like the AT&T Tilt, however I'm a little bit afraid of the mechanism failing at some point, and I know that Blackberry's are of the highest quality. The iPhone touchscreen I think will have issues sooner than Blackberry hard keys, and I suspect the Storm will likewise. The Blackberry's are well-proven products.

:redcard: BS

I do on mine, read my post!

Coldy, you must be special then. I dropped mine from a 6 ft step ladder and shattered that sceen and they denied the claim. they had a disclaimer on the screen on the I phone. that is why I bought the Q.

Coldy, you must be special then. I dropped mine from a 6 ft step ladder and shattered that sceen and they denied the claim. they had a disclaimer on the screen on the I phone. that is why I bought the Q.

Best Buy has an exclusive warranty package that AT&T or Apple don't offer on the 3G, I read it in detail, as long as I have the physical phone to give them it's covered (wreck/dropped/wet/run-over/Etc...) they will replace it for free at any Best Buy store. I suggest you call them or stop in there & ask about it, that alone is something to think about

I just got the new Blackberry "Curve" by Sprint. It looks similar to the Blackberry "Bold".

Mine is a great little phone.

I can even post on TS with it. :rolleyes:

Misc407.jpg

Misc406.jpg

Misc405.jpg

My wife is also going with the curve...I'm still undecided, I will go to Best buy sometime today after waxing the SGT. I keep taking too many breaks.... :headscratch:

I have owned a Treo, Blackberry, Motorola Q, and iPhone. There is NOTHING that compares to the functionality of the iPhone. If I were in a BB company that used the enterprise features of mail and calendar (resource reservation etc.) I would go with the BB. I use the iPhone with our company Exchange server and it works fine for email, calendar, and contacts, but doesn't have the bells and whistles the BB does in that regard. iPhone does great at mail don't get me wrong but there are things from a Enterprise perspective that are a compromise today for a person that just has a Yahoo, Gmail, Comcast, etc. account it's great. SMS text messaging is really nice on the iPhone and there is an AIM, Yahoo, etc., chat client as well.

Where the iPhone REALLY shines is in depth of applications available (MANY FREE) and the internet experience. Open up iTunes and go to the App store and take a look at all the stuff out there! iPhone has THE BEST web browsing experience out there with the G1 from Google on par since it uses Apple's browser. On the iPhone you get the full browsing experience and not some slow bastardized junk like on my BB or Motorola Q that runs IE mobile which is JUNK.

Add to that the GPS (though not spoken) and the iPod and video functions, and you have a great handset!

As I said, I have owned all of the above and the iPhone is the first phone that I have actually used. I mean REALLY used. I think nothing of surfing the web, even posting here at times, or doing my mail etc. The features are easy to use and work well.

You can't go wrong with the iPhone seriously!

Here are, I think some good comparisons:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/16/...ely-went-there/

http://gizmodo.com/5039886/video-blackberr...wn-it-gets-ugly

Good luck! Both are great phones!

-Jeff

The BB Storm has all the features of the iPhone and then some! On a VERY solid platform. Now I have the BB Pearl.......soon I will have the Storm and will compare to wife's iPhone.

Wow...that's a pretty sweeping statement. I mean the Storm has no WiFi! MAJOR disadvantage if you ask me!

I think the Storm strikes a balance between business and causal use. It's, by far, the sleekest BlackBerry; which should help RIM lure more consumer customers and make their business customers less envious of their spouses with their cool iPhones.

Is it "another" iPhone killer? I mean how many have we had so far? Its difficult to say. Irrespective of what LuisA says the iPhone 3G and BlackBerry both come with some unique features that neither have and they are positioned differently in the market. However, I really don't understand the omission of Wi-Fi in BlackBerry Storm, its true that BlackBerry is targeted at the business users who use it primarily for email, but still it seems like a major disadvantage over iPhone 3G. I often switch over to WiFi and now with FREE WiFi at any AT&T Hot Spot it's even more convenient. I also use WiFi in our building, and in the hotels I stay at etc so even when I have a bad cell signal I can get WiFi and still get my mail...that's a HUGE advantage for me. LuisA may not care about that so it's not important to him.

As a consumer device, iPhone will definitely win thanks to the iPod application, the thousands of applications on the App Store, its Safari browser which is easily the most advanced web browser on a portable device which makes browsing the internet on the iPhone a treat and overall for its cool factor. But having said that, if you're some business-savvy user in the enterprise, BlackBerry is still the de-facto choice.

As for "platform" I have two words, BROWSER and APPLICATIONS. BB is not a "platform" it's proved to be anything but a "platform" it's been around for years and I think I can count the number of 3rd party applications on one hand but most business users have modest needs and are restricted by IT from adding applications anyway and I think that has stymied the development along with RIMs crappy development tools, but that's another discussion.

:lurk:

+1 on the storm

I am waiting til they are available from Rogers next month

Blackberry Sorm is teh way to go......I now use Blackberry and it is extremely solid.......the Storm should be delivered today via FedEx.

Well...ummm....my wife came home from shopping today, and she got me a new iPhone 3G 16GB! So, I guess I vote for the iPhone!

I've been playing with it - an incredible device. I am also having trouble keeping my 8 yr old from taking it away!

I have owned a Treo, Blackberry, Motorola Q, and iPhone. There is NOTHING that compares to the functionality of the iPhone. If I were in a BB company that used the enterprise features of mail and calendar (resource reservation etc.) I would go with the BB. I use the iPhone with our company Exchange server and it works fine for email, calendar, and contacts, but doesn't have the bells and whistles the BB does in that regard. iPhone does great at mail don't get me wrong but there are things from a Enterprise perspective that are a compromise today for a person that just has a Yahoo, Gmail, Comcast, etc. account it's great. SMS text messaging is really nice on the iPhone and there is an AIM, Yahoo, etc., chat client as well.

Where the iPhone REALLY shines is in depth of applications available (MANY FREE) and the internet experience. Open up iTunes and go to the App store and take a look at all the stuff out there! iPhone has THE BEST web browsing experience out there with the G1 from Google on par since it uses Apple's browser. On the iPhone you get the full browsing experience and not some slow bastardized junk like on my BB or Motorola Q that runs IE mobile which is JUNK.

Add to that the GPS (though not spoken) and the iPod and video functions, and you have a great handset!

As I said, I have owned all of the above and the iPhone is the first phone that I have actually used. I mean REALLY used. I think nothing of surfing the web, even posting here at times, or doing my mail etc. The features are easy to use and work well.

You can't go wrong with the iPhone seriously!

Here are, I think some good comparisons:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/16/...ely-went-there/

http://gizmodo.com/5039886/video-blackberr...wn-it-gets-ugly

Good luck! Both are great phones!

-Jeff

+1 what he said.

I'm still using my original iPhone, purchased a week or so after they first debuted in the US.

I'm still amazed at how well this little thing works, how much computer time it saves me, and how I ever survived life without it.

I've owned crackberrys in the past, but nothing on the market compares to the iPhone. You'll be pleased I'm sure.

Ken

Archived