TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I-phone or Blackberry Bold?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my first iPhone post!

:happy feet:

Now the real fun is downloading all those FREE applications that really are cool and do things REALLY well!

Check out these lists:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2325290,00.asp

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-11408_22-211365-1.html

There are tons more!

Now the real fun is downloading all those FREE applications that really are cool and do things REALLY well!

Check out these lists:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2325290,00.asp

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-11408_22-211365-1.html

There are tons more!

Incredible.....

edit - What's REALLY incredible is how you can download the Apps or iTunes music directly to the iPhone using only the phone!

I just purchased the iPhone for my wife and me last week and it's awesome. I bought it from best Buy and got the warranty as well. AT&T also has a great plan for 3 phones. I included my daughter's new Blackberry in the plan. (I don't think I could use her Blackberry because of the ssmall keypad!) She loves the BBerry!! Being able to compare the two, there is no doubt the iPhone ROCKS!

Well...ummm....my wife came home from shopping today, and she got me a new iPhone 3G 16GB! So, I guess I vote for the iPhone!

I've been playing with it - an incredible device. I am also having trouble keeping my 8 yr old from taking it away!

pm me your ph number & I'll point out some cool apps to download

Rodney

Functionality aside, do any of you guys who have the iphone have any input about the size of it? I know its very thin, but it seems rather long and wide compared to other smartphones I'll had. I'm debating on switching to the iphone, but have some reservations as to its size, as I carry my existing phone on my belt in a pouch.

Functionality aside, do any of you guys who have the iphone have any input about the size of it? I know its very thin, but it seems rather long and wide compared to other smartphones I'll had. I'm debating on switching to the iphone, but have some reservations as to its size, as I carry my existing phone on my belt in a pouch.

I thought the same, especially coming from a Razr and hating my BB. But it's really not an issue FOR ME and is the same size as the new BB Storm though thinner. You'll have to go to a AT&T or Best Buy and check it out yourself.

I thought the same, especially coming from a Razr and hating my BB. But it's really not an issue FOR ME and is the same size as the new BB Storm though thinner. You'll have to go to a AT&T or Best Buy and check it out yourself.

The Iphone and the storm are not the same size. I have both and while the Iphone is indeed thinner, it is a 1/2 inch longer than the storm.

Great thread. When I get back from Iraq in a few weeks a smartphone was going to be one of my first purchases. Previously I have always gotten the bare bones free phone that came with a contract, nothing more than voice. I was interested in the iPhone for email and web. I have used Mac's exclusively at home since 2002 and haven't looked back although I still use PCs at work as the DoD has bought into the Windows/Office/PC platform hook, line and sinker with the exception of a few pockets like Army Telemedicine where we had a some Mac's doing medical imaging and videoconferencing.

I was considering the iPhone as well as the Blackberry Curve originally and now the Storm and Bold. I am a bit confused by the differences in these models. My experience with Apple computers is that they continually blow you away with new features that once you use them, you can't live without them. Based on that and what I have read here, I am leaning hard toward the iPhone.

Iphone is so bad ass...I LOVE it!

shell out the extra for the 16gig...you will need the space.

I have so many games and apps for work and just great info at my fingertips...its JUST like having a computer with me at all times

I can surf the forum and messages with no problem.

The ONLY drawback is battery time. Using it a lot will give you a full day, but not more. Charge it daily and you should be okay.

Its rugged and I have yet to scratch it.

Oh, and the street view on the map is killer! you can get a visual on most streets from a 360 degree camera from any spot on the road. I was checking out the alamo yesterday with it. You can actually preview what you will see at a upcoming intersection or destination. great if you are giving visual markers when giving directions.

The Iphone and the storm are not the same size. I have both and while the Iphone is indeed thinner, it is a 1/2 inch longer than the storm.

Sorry I was thinking of the Bold. Bold, Storm...what's next "Lightning"? :hysterical:

But you have both and you say it's a 1/2" from below it would seem to be MUCH less:

BlackBerry Storm

Height = 4.43″

Width = 2.45″

Depth = .55″

Weight = 5.5oz

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/black...cifications.jsp

Apple iPhone 3G

Height = 4.5″

Width = 2.4″

Depth = .48″

Weight = 4.7oz

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

But again size is subjective, so I would still recommend a buyer go look at both to decide.

Sorry I was thinking of the Bold. Bold, Storm...what's next "Lightning"? :hysterical:

But you have both and you say it's a 1/2" from below it would seem to be MUCH less:

BlackBerry Storm

Height = 4.43″

Width = 2.45″

Depth = .55″

Weight = 5.5oz

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/black...cifications.jsp

Apple iPhone 3G

Height = 4.5″

Width = 2.4″

Depth = .48″

Weight = 4.7oz

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I think it's the Hurricane that is in the works :hysterical:

I'll put a tape to it again and verify, but it's certainly noticeable. Too bad grabber's on vaca, he could post some pics.

I'll post some pics later for those are interested in seeing them side by side.

The iphone has a pretty good camera too. I took this and uploaded it to photobucket tonight from the iPhone. By the way, the pie at the top is home-made (by me and daughter); the bottom one is a frozen Sarah Lee (by wife(. We're going to have a blindfolded taste contest tomorrow!

b1fa0d0f.jpg

The iphone has a pretty good camera too. I took this and uploaded it to photobucket tonight from the iPhone. By the way, the pie at the top is home-made (by me and daughter); the bottom one is a frozen Sarah Lee (by wife(. We're going to have a blindfolded taste contest tomorrow!

I'm guessing you'll come out on top!

Happy Thanksgiving to ya!

Blackberry Sorm is teh way to go......I now use Blackberry and it is extremely solid.......the Storm should be delivered today via FedEx.

My buddy at work just got his, he is already returning it along with one of his friends who also got theirs. They freeze constantly, battery life is terrible even after turning off all of the features but phone and text, is VERY slow to load the internet or launch the maps program, he basically made a list of stuff that is wrong with it. You cant zoom in on emails, scroll diagonally around web pages, google maps program takes an eternity to load (my iphone fires it up instantly!), and yesterday night on the way home he was trying to get the internet to load and couldn't until he had restarted it a couple times. The camera is a higher mega pixel than the iphone, but the pictures images look worse when we did comparison shots (probably a software issue, so its fixable). The screen is very nice, about on par with the iphone, but the iphone is brighter.

Personally, after messing with the Storm, I decided I am still in love with my iphone. This thing can do SO much, and 3rd party developers are only starting to tap into its potential.

GET THE IPHONE!

Wow...that's a pretty sweeping statement. I mean the Storm has no WiFi! MAJOR disadvantage if you ask me!

I think the Storm strikes a balance between business and causal use. It's, by far, the sleekest BlackBerry; which should help RIM lure more consumer customers and make their business customers less envious of their spouses with their cool iPhones.

Is it "another" iPhone killer? I mean how many have we had so far? Its difficult to say. Irrespective of what LuisA says the iPhone 3G and BlackBerry both come with some unique features that neither have and they are positioned differently in the market. However, I really don't understand the omission of Wi-Fi in BlackBerry Storm, its true that BlackBerry is targeted at the business users who use it primarily for email, but still it seems like a major disadvantage over iPhone 3G. I often switch over to WiFi and now with FREE WiFi at any AT&T Hot Spot it's even more convenient. I also use WiFi in our building, and in the hotels I stay at etc so even when I have a bad cell signal I can get WiFi and still get my mail...that's a HUGE advantage for me. LuisA may not care about that so it's not important to him.

As a consumer device, iPhone will definitely win thanks to the iPod application, the thousands of applications on the App Store, its Safari browser which is easily the most advanced web browser on a portable device which makes browsing the internet on the iPhone a treat and overall for its cool factor. But having said that, if you're some business-savvy user in the enterprise, BlackBerry is still the de-facto choice.

As for "platform" I have two words, BROWSER and APPLICATIONS. BB is not a "platform" it's proved to be anything but a "platform" it's been around for years and I think I can count the number of 3rd party applications on one hand but most business users have modest needs and are restricted by IT from adding applications anyway and I think that has stymied the development along with RIMs crappy development tools, but that's another discussion.

:lurk:

Agreed, a HUGE mistake on Verizon's part. They specifically told Blackberry not to put in WiFi. Also, the menu colors on the Blackberry are ugly, with such a nice beautiful screen you would think they would have made the menu pop and have bright vibrant colors on it. I dunno.

Not having the wi-fi feature made the Storm a no-go for me. I've been using the wi-fi w/ my iPhone all day today at home; its great to have.

Agreed, a HUGE mistake on Verizon's part. They specifically told Blackberry not to put in WiFi. Also, the menu colors on the Blackberry are ugly, with such a nice beautiful screen you would think they would have made the menu pop and have bright vibrant colors on it. I dunno.

Verizon does this crap to make you use their fee based services or rack up the time kbs on the network. These are the same people that even today cripple the Razr so all you can do with Bluetooth is headset when the SAME device from AT&T supports the almost the entire BT suite. I HATE, I MEAN HATE Verizon and will take dropped calls over a crippled phone any day. Bastards! :censored: There, I vented!

I went to Best Buy today to checkout the iphone 3G. I played around with it for a while. I really like the way it moves between different menus. There was no wifi in the store, so I really couldn't use the Safari web browser. The one thing that seemed a little troublesome to me was the text messaging screen. I tried to type a few words and kept hitting the adjacent letters. Is this something I just need to get used to or are you guys using a third-party text messaging app with a larger keyboard?

Archived